Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PlesantDilemma posted:

I'm a casual player and have a question. Does anyone use the battlefield card "Outer Rim Outpost"? It's claim is "Gain 1 resource and draw a card." I don't understand the advantage of drawing a card when claiming the battlefield. I'm about to draw cards until I have 5 in my hand anyway when the other player ends the round. Is there some other card or strategy that this pairs with?

I've been running it in a couple lists recently that can claim reliably and maybe need to dig for a specific card quickly (i.e. finding a second chance in Zeb/Yoda). Depending on board/game state, you can draw the extra card and just pitch it if it doesn't immediately further your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

PlesantDilemma posted:

I'm a casual player and have a question. Does anyone use the battlefield card "Outer Rim Outpost"? It's claim is "Gain 1 resource and draw a card." I don't understand the advantage of drawing a card when claiming the battlefield. I'm about to draw cards until I have 5 in my hand anyway when the other player ends the round. Is there some other card or strategy that this pairs with?

Yeah, big thing to remember is that during upkeep you can discard any number of cards from your hand before drawing up to 5. So it gives you a little more wiggle room to fix your next round's hand.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It can potentially be worse against mill if they have discard sides showing that would otherwise go to waste.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
^Also true, in which case it's also important to remember that Claim effects are always optional.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Merauder posted:

Yeah, big thing to remember is that during upkeep you can discard any number of cards from your hand before drawing up to 5. So it gives you a little more wiggle room to fix your next round's hand.

Oh right! I just play at home with my girlfriend and we never follow that rule. I can see how it could help.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm going to be doing a small 4-person draft with some friends this weekend and I've never played the game before. We're going to be using a box of Awakenings to draft from, any input/advice would be appreciated.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Corte posted:

I'm going to be doing a small 4-person draft with some friends this weekend and I've never played the game before. We're going to be using a box of Awakenings to draft from, any input/advice would be appreciated.

Do you have rivals sets? Drafting is honestly really awkward in destiny if you don't have a base pool to pull from.

In any case, pay close attention to point costs, generally look for character pairings that add up as close to 30 as possible, cover multiple colors (going rainbow allows you to be way more flexible) and try to fit as many dice and as much HP in as you can. Once you have a decent character lineup, subsequent characters become much less valuable. Keep in mind color is the only real deck building restriction - alignment or whatever doesn't matter.

I'm also hard pressed to not pick a weapon/support when I see one. Unless you're drafting mill and have a good suite of character abilities & events to push you there, you need dice on the table, and you want to draw into them quickly & reliably. Likewise cards that allow you to discard an opponents upgrade or support from play can be backbreaking in draft.

This isn't as true for awakenings specifically, but unconditional die removal is pretty scarce in draft. Pick it accordingly.

Run 30 cards. This isn't magic, where you want the most consistent deck at all costs - decking yourself is a real concern with the way the discard and draw mechanics work and the pace of draft in destiny, and otherwise worthless cards can still be used for rerolls. On that note, supports that let you reroll or fix dice turn after turn are way better in draft than they would be in constructed.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Corte posted:

Biggest thing is to use the actual draft rules.

Rivals set and ignore affiliation.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Draft is a very very slow format. Just so you're aware.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Wezlar posted:

Draft is a very very slow format. Just so you're aware.

Yeah, games are much slower than normal because you aren't running heavily tuned, optimised decks. The draft itself adds a fair chunk of time and if you have never played the game before it will take even longer because you have to read all the cards. That being said, it is a very fun way to play the game.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thank you for all of the input. I'm told we'll each receive a Rivals set and six packs of Awakenings. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have time to try playing through Tabletop Simulator beforehand but I'll try to read up on the rules or watch a video to get some handle on the game.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Corte posted:

Thank you for all of the input. I'm told we'll each receive a Rivals set and six packs of Awakenings. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have time to try playing through Tabletop Simulator beforehand but I'll try to read up on the rules or watch a video to get some handle on the game.

The basic rules are honestly really simple, although I don’t think it quite sets in until you’ve played a few games. Nearly every question I’ve had has been weird edge case stuff. Mostly the game is about just understanding the tempo and sequencing and making the most of what you’ve got.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I watched FFG's introductory video which did a great job of going through the various aspects. I'm told we might be drafting using packs from other sets too and there will be 5 players in case that's relevant. Here are my notes/thoughts:
- Try to find a good combination that brings me to the 29 or 30 points ideally covering all colours but don't spend too many picks on characters
- Avoid cards that require specific interaction like Dodge since I can't predict if my opponents will have range damage in their deck
- Run a full deck of 30 cards to limit possibility of milling
- Ketsu is the best Rivals character so try to build a squad around them if possible
- Focus on getting dice through upgrades/support and resources to power them

Should I worry at all about the cost of cards like when building a draft deck in MTG? Is there a point where I should give up on running a rainbow deck to focus on getting good cards for the colours I can support?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Corte posted:

I watched FFG's introductory video which did a great job of going through the various aspects. I'm told we might be drafting using packs from other sets too and there will be 5 players in case that's relevant. Here are my notes/thoughts:
- Try to find a good combination that brings me to the 29 or 30 points ideally covering all colours but don't spend too many picks on characters
- Avoid cards that require specific interaction like Dodge since I can't predict if my opponents will have range damage in their deck
- Run a full deck of 30 cards to limit possibility of milling
- Ketsu is the best Rivals character so try to build a squad around them if possible
- Focus on getting dice through upgrades/support and resources to power them

Should I worry at all about the cost of cards like when building a draft deck in MTG? Is there a point where I should give up on running a rainbow deck to focus on getting good cards for the colours I can support?

1 - yes.
2 - eh, in draft every deck will probably have mixed damage to some degree. If you're paying two though, you want to try to remove at least a couple dice.
3 - yes.
4 - I think Ketsu's a little overrated. Her ability can be played around fairly easily. She's not bad by any means though. I think lobot is underrated. Anakin's special is difficult to use well in draft. I try to be pretty flexible in my character lineup so I can use 1-2 of the rivals characters to fill in whatever gaps I need.
5 - yeah, basically.

As for cost... yes and no. You gain a minimum of two resources every turn and unlike constructed, you won't necessarily have a lot of cards worth spending them on consistently. You want some semblance of a curve, but I typically run more high cost upgrades/supports/high impact events than I would in the average constructed deck.

The point I drop rainbow is either when I don't have a good character pool to support it and I try to focus on my two best colors there on out, or if I've already drafted a lot of good cards in two colors and I don't have a good reason to push for three, either because of character pool or card pool. It's definitely a feel.

In other news, anyone else going to worlds? Trying hard to justify the extra expense given all I've got going on right now.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Played my 5-man draft today and won out 4-0. I was initially worried as I didn't feel I was able to draft any great characters but I did get a Jedi Temple Guard and Clone Trooper. I was initially leaning towards running Lobot-Ketsu-Jedi Temple guard but ended up going with Clone Trooper-Ketsu-Anakin. I definitely was able to see the importance of dice and damage. I had a lot of fun and could see myself playing again. I'm weary of delving into constructed due to what I assume are significant costs to build a competitive deck and there not being a big scene/community in my area. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Corte posted:

Played my 5-man draft today and won out 4-0. I was initially worried as I didn't feel I was able to draft any great characters but I did get a Jedi Temple Guard and Clone Trooper. I was initially leaning towards running Lobot-Ketsu-Jedi Temple guard but ended up going with Clone Trooper-Ketsu-Anakin. I definitely was able to see the importance of dice and damage. I had a lot of fun and could see myself playing again. I'm weary of delving into constructed due to what I assume are significant costs to build a competitive deck and there not being a big scene/community in my area. Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

There’s definitely competitive decks in constructed that don’t use legendaries and thus have a lot cheaper start up costs, FFG’s recent article that highlighted a pair of Mother Talzin/Vet Trooper/Vet Trooper decks comes to mind immediately.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Devlan Mud posted:

There’s definitely competitive decks in constructed that don’t use legendaries and thus have a lot cheaper start up costs, FFG’s recent article that highlighted a pair of Mother Talzin/Vet Trooper/Vet Trooper decks comes to mind immediately.

Yeah, while Destiny definitely has some cards on the pricier end, overall I'd argue it's much cheaper than similar games due to a variety of factors. You could certainly blow a few hundred on Yodas, Force Speeds, Ancient Sabers etc. but there are several tier one decks that don't use any of these things. Additionally, you only need two copies of a given card for a playset, and deck sizes are smaller. The card/pack distribution also means a lot of players have loads of extra rares which makes the majority of them pretty cheap on the secondary market. Locally at least, there's plenty of people happy to give out piles of extras to people just starting.

Offhand, cheap/competitive decks include rainbow hero vehicles and hero mill - while the latter uses 1 die Yoda, that's more than the rest of the deck combined, and many of those cards could probably be found for free. Kylo2/Talzin can be made pretty cheaply once you've picked up a pair of two-player starters, which are pretty easy to find at half-off right now. Poe/Hondo falls into the same category. Lastly, 5 die villain (Talzin, Bala, Trooper) should be pretty cheap to build, with the majority of the cost tied up in the Holdout Blasters.

All that said, if there's no local scene to speak of it does get harder to justify buying in at all, regardless of cost. I wish FFG hadn't shot themselves in the foot with their various initial trip ups, and I've been trying to figure out how to grow the game more locally.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah, Hero Vehicles and Hero mill are definitely good options to start with.

I played Sabine/Ezra at the ND regional yesterday. Finished 21st at 4-3. Last round my tiebreakers were awful (Kid I beat round 1 was 0-6, dude I played round 2 who was playing OTK ended up losing a few other matches were the main issues) so I had no shot at top 8. Luckily I was paired against my best friend who was also 4-2 and sitting in 9th place so I scooped him in and we went to get food. He was playing OTK and ended up losing in top 8 to eBoba/e7th which seems like right now the deck to beat, at least going into next week.

Luckily we both got into Worlds through the draw! If you applied make sure you check your spam folder

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Boba/7th is explosive with a decent draw. I'd consider it for sure if I already had everything, but I only picked up one sister back when and now I'm kicking myself since they've doubled in price.

Anyway, been practicing with Sabine/Yoda, Zeb/Yoda and hero vehicles for regionals lately, still can't settle on a deck. Zeb/Yoda just feels like a more 'fair' Sabine/Yoda with 1 extra point of health and the extra Yoda die, but I don't think either of those make up for Sabine's card text. I also want to try out RI/jump Obi/Maz. Hero vehicles is pretty consistent, but there's some hero mill in our meta and some OTK, both of which are pretty awful matchups.

Part of my issue settling on a deck is our local meta is in constant flux, so it's not really easy to tech against it. A lot of the better players switch between various tier 1/2 decks frequently and while they're not exceptionally skilled with any one, it's hard to prepare for any specific matchup. A lot of the mediocre-to-worse players just bring... whatever homebrew they feel like in the moment and while 9 times out of 10 it's over in a couple rounds in my favor, there's that occasional weird inclusion/combo that just completely blows you out of the water when they actually land it. I fully admit some of those losses are 100% on me, because when I see someone newer-looking lay out like Gamorrean/Magnaguard/eGreedo or whatever I hold back a little on Sabine action cheating and RI fuckery.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Hauki posted:

Boba/7th is explosive with a decent draw. I'd consider it for sure if I already had everything, but I only picked up one sister back when and now I'm kicking myself since they've doubled in price.

Anyway, been practicing with Sabine/Yoda, Zeb/Yoda and hero vehicles for regionals lately, still can't settle on a deck. Zeb/Yoda just feels like a more 'fair' Sabine/Yoda with 1 extra point of health and the extra Yoda die, but I don't think either of those make up for Sabine's card text. I also want to try out RI/jump Obi/Maz. Hero vehicles is pretty consistent, but there's some hero mill in our meta and some OTK, both of which are pretty awful matchups.

Part of my issue settling on a deck is our local meta is in constant flux, so it's not really easy to tech against it. A lot of the better players switch between various tier 1/2 decks frequently and while they're not exceptionally skilled with any one, it's hard to prepare for any specific matchup. A lot of the mediocre-to-worse players just bring... whatever homebrew they feel like in the moment and while 9 times out of 10 it's over in a couple rounds in my favor, there's that occasional weird inclusion/combo that just completely blows you out of the water when they actually land it. I fully admit some of those losses are 100% on me, because when I see someone newer-looking lay out like Gamorrean/Magnaguard/eGreedo or whatever I hold back a little on Sabine action cheating and RI fuckery.

I feel like in general the Sabine decks have a really unfavourable matchup vs the 7th sister decks, and as the meta has progressed the hero vehicles deck just feels too slow. For Sabine it feels really hard to burst 7th turn one and if they play aggressively on your Sabine it can be over so fast.
If you have the cards, a deck you might want to consider is Thrawn/Talzin. The guy piloting it scooped a teammate into the finals at ND regionals because he already got into worlds but apparently it has a good matchup vs Boba/7th and the OTK list. I didn't really see it play and I don't have the list yet but if we can't get enough dice to run two 7th sister lists it's probably what I'll be playing at our regionals.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So we just got the lowdown on our regionals - $20/person entry, only the FFG-provided kit for prize support and no pre-registration.

I’m pretty frustrated with the above for a variety of reasons that I won’t dig into now, but out of curiosity does anyone know what the wholesale cost for those kits is? I’ve heard ~$150-200 for the standard kit.

The impression I’m getting is that this store only took the event to make a quick buck with minimal effort and has zero interest in the game or the community, so I’m curious how close my napkin math is on this.

The no-pre-reg thing is also bugging me (and biting them in the rear end), as we had a number of players talking about driving in from out of state, but no one wants to drive 300-450 miles for poo poo prize support and no guarantee of a seat in the first place.

/rant

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
That is quite annoying, especially since that is my home store that I play at every Tuesday. We've been bugging them for this info for a while and I had no clue they were going to go with no pre-reg. I don't even know how they can justify that. I personally told the employees that multiple groups of people from out of state said they wanted to come in. Now I don't know how that is possible if they don't have guaranteed seats.
I'll try to talk with them again next week, but that is just so damned infuriating.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KO Derf posted:

That is quite annoying, especially since that is my home store that I play at every Tuesday. We've been bugging them for this info for a while and I had no clue they were going to go with no pre-reg. I don't even know how they can justify that. I personally told the employees that multiple groups of people from out of state said they wanted to come in. Now I don't know how that is possible if they don't have guaranteed seats.
I'll try to talk with them again next week, but that is just so damned infuriating.

Oh rad, I didn't know anyone else local was on here. Do you play anywhere else around town? I played in the store champs there a while back, but that was my only experience with that store so far. The pre-reg thing is just baffling to me. As for prizes, I've always known this game had pretty poo poo prize support but it's especially frustrating in light of like, Chicago's regionals where the entry fee was similar but the organizers also happened to give out dozens of boxes of sealed product on top of the kit. Granted they were working on a different scale, but that should still be perfectly doable here, less players just means less product to go around.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The promo prize support for this game is so awful, I have no idea how anyone can think it's okay.

Someone please tell me to stop buying boosters and just suck it up and buy what I need online. I work at a flgs and being next to them all day is a problem.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

The promo prize support for this game is so awful, I have no idea how anyone can think it's okay.

Someone please tell me to stop buying boosters and just suck it up and buy what I need online. I work at a flgs and being next to them all day is a problem.

I always remind myself that like 90% of the stuff I'm still missing is probably $0.50 online and the odds of getting any one of the few things I want worth ~$20 are minute. How badly do you really want that sixth Gang Up, and how likely is it you'll actually be able to trade any one of them for anything at all?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Played/ran a draft event tonight, it was a ton of fun!

I went with Rieekan/Anakin/Padawan and won both games I got to play. I had Command Center - Lothal as my battlefield, only got to bring it to one match. That's the 'claim, mill two' one.

Round 1 was me versus Hondo/Jar Jar/Anakin. Didn't get to bring my battlefield but it didn't matter much. I focused down Anakin pretty quickly, being lucky enough to drop a Vibrosword turn one. They took Rieekan first, which was maybe smart but it left the damage matchup a little lopsided. They just barely took out the Padawan before getting milled out with Hondo and Jar Jar still on the board.

Round 2 was much tougher, facing off against Jawa/JK Luke/Aayla. The monocolor probably made things tough on him but my God were his character dice vicious. I needed every single bit of removal and mitigation I drew just to stay in the game. However, JK Luke was actually a blessing in disguise as he slowly helped me mill him out. My opponent really neglected the battlefield and gave me lots of chances to hit him with the double-mill, despite being on top of the Rieekan shield game. I focused on Aayla since he was dumping shields on Luke, he took out Anakin a little bit before I got Aayla out. I managed to get off a :doink: Law & Order :doink: to kill his Crafted Lightsaber before he ever got to use it, which was huge. Again, Vibrosword turn one helped out a lot. I knocked him out with an Imperial Might card discard off the Vibrosword, which felt pretty drat good.

I had the bye first round and we ran short on time so I just called it there, I think the top two ended up being Finn/First Order Stormtrooper/Something and Kanaan/Lobo/Hired Gun. The Finn guy was some kind of uber player who had been around since the beginning while the rest of us were all newish.

Overall impressions, it's such a slower game compared to normal Destiny. Hondo ain't much without his whole kit for instance. Mill is the real goshdarn deal, I think only one of my opponent's built below 30 and that was the first guy at 28 cards. Both matches were super tense and I loved 'em. Knowing what to draft is extremely challenging, or at least it was for me.

I really wanted that drat Aayla.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Hauki posted:

So we just got the lowdown on our regionals - $20/person entry, only the FFG-provided kit for prize support and no pre-registration.

I’m pretty frustrated with the above for a variety of reasons that I won’t dig into now, but out of curiosity does anyone know what the wholesale cost for those kits is? I’ve heard ~$150-200 for the standard kit.

The impression I’m getting is that this store only took the event to make a quick buck with minimal effort and has zero interest in the game or the community, so I’m curious how close my napkin math is on this.

The no-pre-reg thing is also bugging me (and biting them in the rear end), as we had a number of players talking about driving in from out of state, but no one wants to drive 300-450 miles for poo poo prize support and no guarantee of a seat in the first place.

/rant

I played in the Rochester Regional yesterday. It was $20, they gave away a poo poo load of packs, hundreds of dollars in store credit, had promos from old kits that were just a here take this please situation, and were doing raffles occasionally for other prizes.

They may be an outlier as I highly doubt that much is typical, but it sounds like you're getting hosed.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Somberbrero posted:

I feel like the idea is that the promos are supplemental to normal prizes. Unfortunately unlike Magic they are significantly not-free (not sure about regionals as it's been a few years since I did one, but Store Champs kits cost stores $70) and so unless you get a big turnout or charge a lot that doesn't work so well. I expect maybe 12 players for store champs so I'd be lucky to cover the kit at $5 entry. I don't mind doing it at a minor loss as a marketing thing so will probably do $10 with pack prizes, but I can see how some stores would. Sure it compares okay to Konami but they're the worst, so if you don't blow them out of the water you're doing something wrong.

Then again FFG actually seems to effectively have MAPs, whereas Amazon lists the D&D PHB for $5 over what WOTC charges me, so.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any of you from New England and are interested in a mostly complete Awakenings set for really cheap?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm still chasing a second Aayla for Hero Vehicles but I picked up a Yoda off a friend who really wanted a Grand Inquisitor & Grand Inquisitor Lightsaber playset so I'm working on a Rieekan Jedha Yoda mill deck. Is that viable? It seems like it could be, I just worry about getting bursted down and floundering.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Rieekan / Yoda / Partisan has been the best iteration of Hero Mill since the game's inception. I believe it actually won a regional somewhere recently, and I know it took second in Portland a month or so ago (lost to a friend of mine playing Poe/Hondo). So yeah... It's solid.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I'm still chasing a second Aayla for Hero Vehicles but I picked up a Yoda off a friend who really wanted a Grand Inquisitor & Grand Inquisitor Lightsaber playset so I'm working on a Rieekan Jedha Yoda mill deck. Is that viable? It seems like it could be, I just worry about getting bursted down and floundering.

I've got a few spare Aaylas, although I don't know if it's worth the cost of shipping to trade it.

Otherwise yes, what Merauder said above.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

New poo poo: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/13/way-of-the-force/

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Merauder posted:

Rieekan / Yoda / Partisan has been the best iteration of Hero Mill since the game's inception. I believe it actually won a regional somewhere recently, and I know it took second in Portland a month or so ago (lost to a friend of mine playing Poe/Hondo). So yeah... It's solid.

It's very solid, my partner beats me regularly with it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m down with making Grievous a power house. I thought this was the cycle that was going to kill Awakenings but I guess not

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

20 cost elites :negative:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Goes great with a non-elite Yoda!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Does anyone else foresee a Yoda nerf? He feels like the latest in the line of Maz style supports that are too good.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

frameset posted:

Does anyone else foresee a Yoda nerf? He feels like the latest in the line of Maz style supports that are too good.

Yoda decks can have a really hard time dealing with Seventh Sister decks and haven't really been doing well since everyone learned to tech against mill so unless there are some sweeping changes I kind of doubt it.

The metagame is in a really good place right now. Of the 18 regionals in the last month 9 different decks won and no deck won more than 3 regionals so honestly they would be kind of insane to start banning cards.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
While the meta is in a good place, doing card errata isn't always about something being good. Sometimes a card is so un-fun to play against (a Negative Play Experience) that it's beneficial to the game to tone it down. Take for example Hyperspace Jump.

Off the top of my head the #1 card I'd like to see something done with is Running Interference. Not because it's running rampant through the meta, but because it's completely un-fun to play against. Even the people I know that play the card a lot agree that it's a little too much and brings the game down.