Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Star Man posted:

Who in the SCG minor league are worth following in the first place? Tom Ross and Emma Handy are the only two that I can think of.

Caleb Scherer is a nice guy, and listens and debates alterations to his deck in his twitch. He had the most :shobon: moment the other day when it took him a while to realise the massive flood of twitch mods wasn’t because of support for him donating all his earnings for the night to the Korey memorial, but because he’d passed the requirements to be partnered. He seems super humble, and isn’t beyond calling himself out for bad plays and explaining what he’s done wrong.

I really like Emma too. She’s another super nice player, gets far too much troll poo poo, and she’s part of a gaming inclusion charity.

Tom and Todd I know little about, but they seem cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Fun fact, Jeff Hoogland banned me in both Magic and SCG’s twitch chats for daring to disagree with him over the BBE banning in SCG’s chat.

How are letting him remain a Mod?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Niton posted:

requires you to actually land a hit with a creature.
No, it requires you to turn a creature sideways. It triggers off any combat damage.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Hell yeah, round 1 Monster Ponza vs W/U Turns for the start of the GP. That's the Modern I want to watch.

I'm sure next round will be Tron vs. Control or some other boring match up

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/962099946013913088

About half way through this and it is a really good listen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tainen posted:

https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/962099946013913088

About half way through this and it is a really good listen.

Nice. Sincerely can't wait to get scalded by takes on the Lace cycle.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Some Numbers posted:

No, it requires you to turn a creature sideways. It triggers off any combat damage.

I didn't mean against a player! The point is, combat damage still has to happen. - you don't get counters until you've successfully attacked (or blocked) with a creature, so it offers zero immediate power. I don't think it's a safe unban, but I can imagine a world where it's too slow to generate value.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Do people ever try to lie about match winnings, and claim they are the victor when they lose?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Niton posted:

I didn't mean against a player! The point is, combat damage still has to happen. - you don't get counters until you've successfully attacked (or blocked) with a creature, so it offers zero immediate power. I don't think it's a safe unban, but I can imagine a world where it's too slow to generate value.

I generates value in legacy to the extent that it wins games. Noted slow format legacy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DangerDongs posted:

Do people ever try to lie about match winnings, and claim they are the victor when they lose?

Happened to me at least once at fnm. The other time may have been a mistake.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DangerDongs posted:

im the opposite, i fully embrace my dumbass plays

last saturday at my lgs i saw a dude i played modern against and reintroduced myself as the guy who had to thoughtsieze himself bc he forgot the guy had a hexproof enchantment out when he cast it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DangerDongs posted:

I've had it happen before when it used to affect your Elo rating. Guy pleaded and said he needed it for some bullshit byes at the next GP or whatever and since I was new, it probably dunked his 1700+ when I was in the 1400s somewhere. I just told him it was an FNM. Later found out that guy started a second number to ~protect the sanctity of a good Elo score~ and I had that removed and consolidated real quick too. ;)

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 10, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DangerDongs posted:

I've seen people accidentally or "accidentally" fill out a match slip incorrectly, does that count?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Soul Glo posted:

im the opposite, i fully embrace my dumbass plays

last saturday at my lgs i saw a dude i played modern against and reintroduced myself as the guy who had to thoughtsieze himself bc he forgot the guy had a hexproof enchantment out when he cast it

That's not how Magic works. You name the target when you put it on the stack, so if the target wasn't legal you never played it in the first place.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xaerael posted:

Caleb Scherer is a nice guy, and listens and debates alterations to his deck in his twitch. He had the most :shobon: moment the other day when it took him a while to realise the massive flood of twitch mods wasn’t because of support for him donating all his earnings for the night to the Korey memorial, but because he’d passed the requirements to be partnered. He seems super humble, and isn’t beyond calling himself out for bad plays and explaining what he’s done wrong.

I really like Emma too. She’s another super nice player, gets far too much troll poo poo, and she’s part of a gaming inclusion charity.

Tom and Todd I know little about, but they seem cool and good.

Caleb Durward is who I watch the most (with what little time I have). He’s great and is not shy from calling out obvious dumb play recommendations from the peanut gallery.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

That's not how Magic works. You name the target when you put it on the stack, so if the target wasn't legal you never played it in the first place.

eh it was funsies games and funny, plus i needed to reduce my life total for ds anyhow

but now i know for real games!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I generates value in legacy to the extent that it wins games. Noted slow format legacy.

Legacy isn't slow, but it's a lot easier to get hits in with Jitte with TNN than just about anything I can think of!

I agree with your point, though! I do think, though, that you'd have to dig a little bit deeper (Invisible Stalker?!) to get the same level of safety.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Niton posted:

Yeah, Jitte is pretty degenerate once it gets going, but.. it costs 2 mana to play, 2 to equip, and requires you to actually land a hit with a creature. I think it would probably be too good for modern, but not having a text box until you land a hit might be more of a downside than we give credit for.

I would 100% slam it into bogles

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mezzanon posted:

I would 100% slam it into bogles

Eh, I don’t think it would be bad per day but it’s not exactly good either.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/962446774815268864

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jesus christ R&D get your poo poo together.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Jesus christ R&D get your poo poo together.

These didn't make print so I don't see what the problem is.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Who is the GP Toronto commentator who can't tell the difference between "th" and "f"?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

These didn't make print so I don't see what the problem is.

Why bother wasting time designing cards that are on their face either unplayable or totally broken?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Why bother wasting time designing cards that are on their face either unplayable or totally broken?

Because without pushing the boundaries of acceptability we never know what we can do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Because Magic design space is finite and unless you push eventually you will run out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first one could pretty plausibly have been fine in standard, though it'd be busted in any format with dredge. The second one can be either broken or unplayable depending on the power of token spells and ramp in the format.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

weird "lmao" is censored on mtgo

opp not a fan of vraska

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

These own but they are not blue, checks out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I am really enjoying the LR Alpha set review.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hellsau posted:

The whole point of design is you try a bunch of crazy poo poo and see what sticks.

cheetah7071 posted:

The first one could pretty plausibly have been fine in standard, though it'd be busted in any format with dredge.

I think M15 shared a format with Delve.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/962484511358537729

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Would you guys say that the best way to get back into playing magic would be sealed draft ?
I'm looking to start and before I only ever played casually with friends.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Would you guys say that the best way to get back into playing magic would be sealed draft ?

yeah, but it's just called draft or booster draft. sealed's a different kind of limited where you open six boosters and make a deck.

but yes, play limited, figure out which format you wanna play, and buy the deck in singles.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Is Dan Ward still savagely cheating his way to success with Dredge?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kurtofan posted:

It's how I got back last Fall. Would recommend. It's theoretically an equalizer in deck construction so you don't have to worry about showing up with your precon/welcome deck and just getting pasted, and it will start netting you a few Standard-relevant cards as you draft them so you can reduce the buy-in on a standard deck by owning/trading for a few things.

I would further recommend listening to the Limited Resources podcast, and practicing on Draftsim if for no other reason than to be familiar with the kinds of cards you'll see as you're passing packs around so you know them without having to stop and read each one.

Good luck, and remember it's just a kids game with little dragon and knight pictures-- don't get tilted.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Is Dan Ward still savagely cheating his way to success with Dredge?

Switched to bogles so he can't draw extra cards on camera anymore.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Because if it's fun and only too strong because of cost they can just up the cmc in dev?

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I want illegal digging so badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I think M15 shared a format with Delve.

This was early design for the set before Khans of Tarkir, so it may have been that they knew they'd need to enable some kind of graveyard mechanic. Final set had the Souls and Satyr Wayfinder and graveyard hate in Tormod's Crypt, you know.

Rakdos's Return cleared hoops and ended up being a strong finisher but in no way overwhelming, and Mind Shatter had gone through two standard tenures without issue. Why not try a discard X spell with convoke? It's not like they let it through two years of Standard, they just... tried a black effect with Convoke to explore what black could do with it.