Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
There's a lot of people defending it, but that Umineko thing sure does a good job to make itself look like the trashiest and worst of the worst animu garbage. Good grief.
Made for an entertaining video though, especially once they got kind of into it and got past the shock of having too many meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

I would imagine it's just a different input mode. Like the full/half/new moon stuff in Melty.

The moons in Melty don't change how you input stuff. It's just a Simple Mode in Umineko, IIRC.

Also that game has a stupid number of mechanics - every character has an attribute that gets passed to other characters when they're tagged out, poo poo changes when you use your Overdrive thingie, etc.

On another topic, I'm reading the Umineko LP now to try and understand what the gently caress. Had to do something since I've been blindsided by active moderation in RGD.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Umineko is one where it works specifically with the written format so it being a VN is p neat it's real good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's anime trash but it's cool and interesting we'll written anime trash with interesting mechanics and tie in to other franchises

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's also like 300 plus hours long to read through

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Futaba Anzu posted:

Umineko is one where it works specifically with the written format so it being a VN is p neat it's real good

Futaba Anzu posted:

It's anime trash but it's cool and interesting we'll written anime trash with interesting mechanics and tie in to other franchises

Futaba Anzu posted:

It's also like 300 plus hours long to read through

ok

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
what do you mean it’s 300 hours?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Depths posted:

what do you mean it’s 300 hours?

It's like 8 books.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's like 8 books.

I spent like four hours reading the LP and I'm halfway thru the second route, it's long as gently caress - I read super fast also.

On other topics, Woolie is actually good at commentating DBFZ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie, for someone that defended Marvel for months, is talking madder poo poo about it than fighting thread goons

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He cared the most for the longest time. Gave him hate ammo most never got to.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

I spent like four hours reading the LP and I'm halfway thru the second route, it's long as gently caress - I read super fast also.

On other topics, Woolie is actually good at commentating DBFZ.

Look I get that it's faster but like

7th Expansion games are branded Sound Novels and you are missing SO MUCH if you aren't at least clicking the music links (the voice acting is also good but was an addition of the PS3 version, it's not NECESSARY)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

All these people saying VNs are bad have never played an Ace Attorney game. They're like the exception to the rule.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VolticSurge posted:

All these people saying VNs are bad have never played an Ace Attorney game. They're like the exception to the rule.

People saying VNs are bad are talking about the ones with loving in them

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

People saying VNs are bad are talking about the ones with loving in them

Ladykiller in a bind is a better video game than anything that the best friends have played.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Most of the "ones with loving in then" that you will actually hear people talk about have an infinitely lower sex to actual content ratio than a Tarantino movie.

In any case it's not relevant to Umineko as 7thExpansion has always been 100% titty free.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I literally cannot think of a single Tarantino movie that has a sex scene in it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nilbop posted:

I literally cannot think of a single Tarantino movie that has a sex scene in it.

I think HBO series is a better example. Or Showtime. To be honest the annoying thing about the loving in VNs is that 95% of the time it's a romance route that makes a main character this dopey love interest. Also the weird incest/barely-legal-but-shes-really-1000-years-old/occasional rape undertones.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Like, you look at something like the original Fate Stay Night, and you're looking at an 80 hour game with like, 20-30 minutes of sex total counting all the routes. And they cut it out entirely in rereleases.

When people talk about VNs they're talking about that, not about poo poo called, I dunno, "My Childhood Friend Wants My Penis!!!!" or whatever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

Like, you look at something like the original Fate Stay Night, and you're looking at an 80 hour game with like, 20-30 minutes of sex total counting all the routes. And they cut it out entirely in rereleases.

When people talk about VNs they're talking about that, not about poo poo called, I dunno, "My Childhood Friend Wants My Penis!!!!" or whatever.

I mean, I read the Tsukihime LP a long, LONG time ago, but doesn't that have little cat girl succubus and step sister vampire aching for your nanaya boner?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

When I talk about VNs I'm talking about the house in fata morgana, the greatest story ever told.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

I mean, I read the Tsukihime LP a long, LONG time ago, but doesn't that have little cat girl succubus and step sister vampire aching for your nanaya boner?

No that's a different game, yes and it's terrible, Tsukihime is almost 20 years old and has almost no bearing on the modern market (certainly not like Fate does), and even back then it was still a case where it was like 0.01% titty 99.99% mental meltdowns and vampire knife fights.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

No that's a different game, yes and it's terrible, Tsukihime is almost 20 years old and has almost no bearing on the modern market (certainly not like Fate does), and even back then it was still a case where it was like 0.01% titty 99.99% mental meltdowns and vampire knife fights.

I mean, I have to give it to the genre, they did stop appealing to h-gamers in the 2010's. It's just that back in the day there was a lot of weird creepy sex stuff in games that could've done without it. I never played Fate, all I know is King Arthur gave you a blowjob in the original one or whatever, I guess that's fine.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

When I talk about VNs I'm talking about the house in fata morgana, the greatest story ever told.

Yeah in the middle of fata morgana and it's great

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Yeah in the middle of fata morgana and it's great

i finished that in january and i think it's definitely gonna be my 2018 GOTY

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
After watching the Umineko anime a long time ago and thinking it was poo poo (I enjoyed Higurashi), I finally decided to check out the Umineko VNs. Wish me luck

https://clips.twitch.tv/OddAnimatedAardvarkKlappa

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Big Scary Owl posted:

After watching the Umineko anime a long time ago and thinking it was poo poo (I enjoyed Higurashi), I finally decided to check out the Umineko VNs. Wish me luck

https://clips.twitch.tv/OddAnimatedAardvarkKlappa

You should have fun.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It’s really fascinating to see Yakuza’s insanity applied to such a different setting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Slowbeef's Binary Domain videos are great if you want to see someone struggle with the awful voice commands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAsNHUDo7o&hd=1

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The Juce has never been more loose.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I went to watch the Nulocke finale and that poo poo is GONE. I don't have twitter and don't listen to every podcast; have they said if site-only content is gonna be re-uploaded?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have to say, despite some flaws season 2 of the telltale batman game is a huge improvement over season 1. All the stuff with Bruce and John was great and I like the inverse of the normal Harley Joker relationship.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God I hope that they didn't accidentally create Joker/Telltale decides to gently caress you by making believing in John be what turns him into Joker.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

God I hope that they didn't accidentally create Joker/Telltale decides to gently caress you by making believing in John be what turns him into Joker.

Just like saving Harvey from getting his faced burned by the Penguin in the last game prevented him from becoming Two Face?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Just like saving Harvey from getting his faced burned by the Penguin in the last game prevented him from becoming Two Face?
They completely forgot that his DID was enabled by the truth serum.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It seems like John is going to be the Joker either way but can be the Joker as an ally to Batman instead of a nemesis if you hang out with him enough

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It seems like John is going to be the Joker either way but can be the Joker as an ally to Batman instead of a nemesis if you hang out with him enough

So either Heath Ledger Joker or Mark Hamill Joker

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

H A T T A M posted:

I went to watch the Nulocke finale and that poo poo is GONE. I don't have twitter and don't listen to every podcast; have they said if site-only content is gonna be re-uploaded?

I once heard that they were planning to do something, but I never got a source on that and I haven't heard anything since.

I don't want the E3 2015 and PSX 2014 videos to be gone forever.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Zwiebel posted:

There's a lot of people defending it, but that Umineko thing sure does a good job to make itself look like the trashiest and worst of the worst animu garbage. Good grief.
Made for an entertaining video though, especially once they got kind of into it and got past the shock of having too many meters.

All it made me want to do is maybe continue the VN so I can learn what the gently caress is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This Beyond Two Souls lp with Paige is somehow as good or better, because Paige genuinely gives too much benefit to Cage and gets blind sided everytime.