Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

HaB posted:

This reads like I'm having a stroke. I understand the individual words, but otherwise it makes no sense.

Fortune SL Rank 7 unlocks the ability to boost relationship points with other SLs by paying 5k, once per day.

Temperance 10 allows you to perform during nights you go to Mementos or a Palace (minus the calling card I believe?), as well as being able to time save by paying her to do random stuff for you (laundry, coffee).

Death 5 unlocks the SP Adhesive 3 accessory (I think?) which restores 7 SP per turn on the attached character, but Death 7 makes it 50k as opposed to 100k, which cuts costs by half and makes it easier to gear with it, as well as everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Just do it in NG+

I feel like you didn't read my entire post

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for a one time playthrough, get the Messiah DLC and the Persona 4 DLC which comes with an EXP boost accessory. No need to wear the costumes, but Messiah Picaro at 90 will blow almost everything away through mid game (especially on easy.) It does start lacking towards the end since it can't level up much with stats starting in the 50s, but by then there are other options.

It works pretty well until characters start demanding LV4/5 social stats to finish (or start) confidants.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

IcePhoenix posted:

I said you can do it all in one run but you'll suck all the enjoyment out of it by having to constantly micromanage every action you take outside of the palaces. Maxing all the confidants in a single playthrough without already boosted social stats from NG+ turns into literally following a step by step guide for every individual day of the game. If you want to do that nobody is stopping you.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the sixth palace now and I don't want this game to end. Not sure how prepared I am for NG+, but so far I'm at Charm and Knowledge 5, Kindness and Guts 4, Proficiency 3, and I've maxed out 7 confidantes, and probably can do one or two more before the end. Not sure if its worth trying to get my stats up further or invest more time to try and get more maxed confidantes.

I was thinking I'd pick up a couple DLC for fun in NG+ although its probably not necessary. I heard Kaguya is good, but are any of the other DLC personas worth looking at?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

You need to do a second run if you want to Platinum the game (since there are three trophies that can only be done on NG+), so if you're going to min-max you might as well do it on the run that matters.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was thinking I'd pick up a couple DLC for fun in NG+ although its probably not necessary. I heard Kaguya is good, but are any of the other DLC personas worth looking at?

Kaguya and Messiah are probably the two best ones to pick up imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man this game is slow at parts especially in between palaces sometimes. I know it is suppose to just be daily school stuff but nothing interesting happens there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Man this game is slow at parts especially in between palaces sometimes. I know it is suppose to just be daily school stuff but nothing interesting happens there.

That wouldn’t even be so bad if it wouldn’t take away all your time blocks between dungeons most of the time. You don’t get to make any choices, you’re just hitting x til the game lets you play it again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ulio posted:

Don't play Persona 3.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't know if this is commonly known, but something I noticed while doing the Confidants is that if you decide to meet up with them via the text message prompts, it won't charge you the train fare to visit the location. I don't mean if you're going to Shibuya or Shujin; I went to Shinjuku and Akihabara when responding to texts, and there was no yen charge for the trip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's probably in case you don't have enough yen. It's such an edge case that it was probably easier to not charge you then code an entire bit of morgana saying you don't have enough yen.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I think if you're too poor to go on the train at certain points Morgana just rips on you for being poor and gives you the money?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

NachtSieger posted:

Morgana just rips on you for being poor
Wow, Morgana is such a dick.

I had a bit of a scary moment last night, I'd been playing for about an hour, between the 4th Palace and the deadline for it. I'd advanced a bunch of Confidant ranks and increased social stats etc (finally got enough Guts to unlock Hanged Man). I spent time with Sojiro to get some rank points to progress his Confidant, and when the game was supposed to be transitioning to the next day it seemed to just freeze. The music was still playing, and the calendar was in the corner of the screen, but nothing else. Then the loading icon appeared in the bottom right. It was about a full minute or two before anything happened, and a message appeared saying something like "An error has occurred". I was convinced I'd be dumped back to the Dashboard and I'd lose all my progress, but thankfully it loaded up the following day.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That wouldn’t even be so bad if it wouldn’t take away all your time blocks between dungeons most of the time. You don’t get to make any choices, you’re just hitting x til the game lets you play it again.

Ya I don't have much time to play some days and a few days I literally did nothing but press x most of which is repeated dialogue. Even with fast forwarding some parts, I spent hours doing nothing. Repeated dialogue was probably the biggest offender. Man I wish this was on pc and someone just modded the freaking smartphone out of the game. Their convo's are so long and you can't even fast forward it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

You need to do a second run if you want to Platinum the game (since there are three trophies that can only be done on NG+), so if you're going to min-max you might as well do it on the run that matters.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother platinuming the game :shrug:

I mean, obviously if I fail then I won't get the trophy for it (or the closure of most of the stories) and then if I go back I'll still have all the benefits from new game + that I would've had anyways if I didn't try so I don't see the harm.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
What are you guys using as accessories for the rest of the team? I've got the SP one on joker. Thinking of the same for whomever else I am using.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Stumpus posted:

What are you guys using as accessories for the rest of the team? I've got the SP one on joker. Thinking of the same for whomever else I am using.

SP Adhesive 3 on everyone. Don't bother buying the lower ranking ones, just save up for rank 3 one at a time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kaza42 posted:

SP Adhesive 3 on everyone. Don't bother buying the lower ranking ones, just save up for rank 3 one at a time

How much do these cost when I hit rank 7?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
50,000 yen each.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

50,000 yen each.

Nice, I should easily have enough money and rank for four of them before the third palace then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Alright people who have followed this series before, should I grab SMT IV or SMT IV Apocalypse if I’m just gonna get one?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Stumpus posted:

SP Adhesive 3 on Joker, random stat buffs on everyone else unless I'm in a dungeon where they cast hama/mudo a lot and then its Hermelin badges from the DLC. Makes it easy mode, especially on New Game +.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ulio posted:

Ya I don't have much time to play some days and a few days I literally did nothing but press x most of which is repeated dialogue. Even with fast forwarding some parts, I spent hours doing nothing.

The game is 50% visual novel, so yeah.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So uh.

I think I’m stuck, or at least as stuck as it’s possible to be.

I have reached the Madarame fight and it’s not even close. After looking at a guide, it’s suggested that I have Skills which do Physical damage to all foes. Great, except I don’t on any character. That seems to make the second round of the painting fight completely impossible. Since I can’t take out just one since it just heals.

Also: it’s currently the last day I can take out Madarame (May 31st) so I can’t really go do anything else.

So yeah. Am I hosed?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If all else fails, you can try turning the difficulty down to Easy for that one fight?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

HaB posted:

So uh.

I think I’m stuck, or at least as stuck as it’s possible to be.

I have reached the Madarame fight and it’s not even close. After looking at a guide, it’s suggested that I have Skills which do Physical damage to all foes. Great, except I don’t on any character. That seems to make the second round of the painting fight completely impossible. Since I can’t take out just one since it just heals.

Also: it’s currently the last day I can take out Madarame (May 31st) so I can’t really go do anything else.

So yeah. Am I hosed?

You can just let the failure ending happen and then take the option to go back a week if you need to level more or get different personas.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If I remember correctly Madarame fight is pretty easy. Just focus the side pieces then go on the center piece when it's left alone. Becareful of using some aoe elemental spells as it might heal some pieces. Try to take out the most annoying piece first.

Use debuffs and buffs as well. This shouldn't be really a tough fight imo, you could also just go back and level up your party a bit. I haven't finished the game but the hardest boss fight was Kamoshida for me.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Even if you don't have any non single-target damage abilities you can still just eventually wear down the pieces faster than they can heal in a war of attrition, since they only ever regenerate at half health and another piece needs to spend a turn to bring it back.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

Ulio posted:

the hardest boss fight was Kamoshida for me.

Did you get Media on Mona before fighting him? That makes all the difference IMO

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Madarame was actually pretty tough if you're going in blind and don't have Rampage/Vicious Strike on Ryuji and Yusuke yet. Ann is helpful to Tarunda if you're really having trouble with healing, but she can only debuff one target at a time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Madarame was actually pretty tough if you're going in blind and don't have Rampage/Vicious Strike on Ryuji and Yusuke yet. Ann is helpful to Tarunda if you're really having trouble with healing, but she can only debuff one target at a time.

Ryuji learns Rampage at 17 which is pretty low for Madarame in my experience.

I think my dudes were level 19 or so at that point.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So...if I'm in love with Persona 5 and want more Persona is my best bet getting a Vita for P4 Golden and P3P?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

I was 16 when I hit Madarame the first time. If you were going through the palace efficiently on Hard I think around there or lower's the norm.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

So...if I'm in love with Persona 5 and want more Persona is my best bet getting a Vita for P4 Golden and P3P?

Yeah, just keep in mind that the older games are, well, a bit more outdated. P3P in particular is pretty far back (but way better than FES just because of FeMC). P4G still holds up decently, though.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Going back to P3 after starting with 5 is pretty rough. Persona 4 can be an even better game than 5, depending on what you're looking for.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cinnamon Bear posted:

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was 16 when I hit Madarame the first time. If you were going through the palace efficiently on Hard I think around there or lower's the norm.

Yeah, just keep in mind that the older games are, well, a bit more outdated. P3P in particular is pretty far back (but way better than FES just because of FeMC). P4G still holds up decently, though.

I liked the main cast of P4G better. But the game also knows how to toy with your emotions pretty good. It helps that the voice acting in P4 is top notch for the main characters.

Yet, P5 is the first game to have the main dungeons not be procedurally generated dungeons, and it's tough going back to such bland dungeons.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Zore posted:

Yeah everyone was 15-16 except for Yusuke, since I think he starts at 17 or so. I finally beat it by bumping the difficulty down to Easy.

Weird thing is, I chumped EVERYTHING in Madarame's Palace to the point where I got to the guy guarding the Security Room before I even took damage from anything. Like I could hit weaknesses with Joker right away and either Hold Up or just finish everything off via 1 More.

Contrast that with Yamoshida's Palace where I wouldn't say I struggled, but I definitely had some tough fights leading up to the boss. So I wasn't expecting the Madarame boss fight to jump up in difficulty so much, since I was actually afraid I was OVERleveled since the Palace was kind of a cakewalk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm really annoyed because I realized this weekend that the whole "restart a battle after you die" thing isn't exclusive to safe mode even though the difficulty screen made it seem like that was the case. Watching a streamer play was what finally pushed me over the edge to just buy the game and he had triggered the restart a few times so I just figured that's what difficulty he was on, but nope :sigh: Dungeons are actually probably my least favorite part of the game, though who knows if that's because of how piss easy safe mode makes everything, so maybe that's a good thing.

On the positive side, I still am enjoying the heck out of the game. The music is wonderful (a shame that I don't like the dungeons because the music in them is so good), and I really love all the social link stuff, to the point I would probably still like the game if you just removed everything to do with the Phantom Thieves, or just made them auto-missions with progress/success based on your stats and links. I also like how all your confidants figure out that you're in the Phantom Thieves by max level, at least so far. I've only maxed a couple of them but going by the events of the ones that are getting close I expect similar results.

I just got to September so I think I have three months to finish everyone? If I could go back I would probably shuffle my priorities a little bit, but not a whole lot (specifically so I could get one of the confidants to a higher affinity before the class trip). I think I'll still be able to do it, especially now that I have affinity readings unlocked. Related, my earlier indecision on what to do about the protag's romance was completely resolved when I saw Makoto's awakening.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think it's only bosses you can restart the battle with outside of safe mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThomasPaine posted:

I think it's only bosses you can restart the battle with outside of safe mode

I'm pretty sure I remember him restarting one after getting ko'd by an instakill attack from a normal enemy in the fourth palace but maybe he was just very close to a save point and I didn't see the in between since I was mostly watching at work.

Speaking of palaces, I feel like if they were maybe 25% shorter I would be a lot less annoyed by them. Or at least for the last two I did, can't remember the first two very well in that regard.