Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The only DLC that I ever did much with was Hearthfire, which is kinda odd I guess but I never had much interest in mod-added homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Agents are GO! posted:

SE is way more stable anyway and it was free if you owned all the DLC when it launched, and if you're using USLEEP you have to own all the DLC so if you bought Oldrim after Special Edition was released, L O loving L.

Am I a bad person for enjoying Oldrim just fine and ignoring SE because I just don't want to be buggered reinstalling everything, hunting down SE versions of 70 mods, and finding out 20 of them haven't been/will probably never be updated for SE? :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Am I a bad person for enjoying Oldrim just fine and ignoring SE because I just don't want to be buggered reinstalling everything, hunting down SE versions of 70 mods, and finding out 20 of them haven't been/will probably never be updated for SE? :shrug:

Of course nYes. Yes you are. (Modding is the game.)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
No though you're "missing out." You'd be shocked how much stability matters and improves the game, it's very significant.

Like one or two crashes in thirty hours with 150 mods stable, when I played like six months back.

That being said I literally am (was?) a modder and so dread the idea of recreating my setup I haven't played since a few months back so that part is 100% fair really :v:

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 10, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The #1 reason I quit playing Skyrim was because no matter how many "stability" mods I used, no matter how carefully I curated my mod list, it would always crash at the worst times.

The stability of SE is the only reason I'm bothering to get a mod setup going (now ~6 hours in, no crashes that aren't directly my fault)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

This is part of my SSE set up now so I don't know why you're waiting around not using SSE.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Langosta Whiteman posted:

This is part of my SSE set up now so I don't know why you're waiting around not using SSE.

Stop annoying me Navi !

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only thing that has annoyed me thus far in my SE modding adventure is the fact that there's compatibility patches for loving everything now and it's leading me down one rabbit hole after another.

I downloaded ENB, went to get some presets. Oh look I don't recognize any of these presets now. Got Re-Engaged. Oh look it wants to know if I have Vivid Weather...should I? Why yes, I should. Go to install Vivid Weather, it asks if I have Sounds of Skyrim. No...but...what is that? Oh, yes I do want that mod. Oh look it's compatible with a whole bunch of other poo poo. Rinse and repeat.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Can anyone recommend a house mod that works well with 3+ followers? Preferably one that's not a giant castle with enormous hallways, but a "medium" sized home that still manages to work well with multiple followers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Iron Rose posted:

No though you're "missing out." You'd be shocked how much stability matters and improves the game, it's very significant.

Like one or two crashes in thirty hours with 150 mods stable, when I played like six months back.

That being said I literally am (was?) a modder and so dread the idea of recreating my setup I haven't played since a few months back so that part is 100% fair really :v:

For me having non-hosed shadows out of the box is worth it. Oh and god rays too, i guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I got the wrong thread, how

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 10, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I have like 250.mods installed and have a very stable game, I'm not re-downloading all that for se

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Is there a mod that changes the ice wraith model into something that is hitable?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For all the lol cliff racer jokes in Oblivion and Skyrim, the wraiths, wisps and those dumb loving orbs from the mage questline are ten times worse even without agility/% to hit calculations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Haha, I just loaded up Skyrim after a several month break. Don't remember anything about the last character I was playing, so let's check the skills and equipment. Light armor... sneak... archery... okay, stealth archer it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Archery always lags waaaaay behind sneak. Like on my bog standard boring characters by midgame Sneak is at 100, Archery's at like 35 and One-Handed is around 55 or 60.

In SPERG Archery 55 is a big milestone because it unlocks a perk that stops you having to swat goddamn wolves every 15 goddamn steps, but if you want to get that far before the endgame you'll have to pay Faendal/Aela/Sorine a lot of money

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Haha, I just loaded up Skyrim after a several month break. Don't remember anything about the last character I was playing, so let's check the skills and equipment. Light armor... sneak... archery... okay, stealth archer it is.

You will find that quite a few races are efficient at being stealth archers.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Question regarding changing over to SSE: If there isn't an equivalent SE-specific release, can I use an oldrim body replacer mod? Is my option "give it a try and see if it works"?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

taiyoko posted:

Question regarding changing over to SSE: If there isn't an equivalent SE-specific release, can I use an oldrim body replacer mod? Is my option "give it a try and see if it works"?

I use some texture mods from oldrim fine on newrim. They're folders though and not ESP or BSA.

I also have a backup data folder in case I mess up when experimenting.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I actually have a section on that in the revised OP I keep putting off posting, but the tldr of it is: Mods that add loose-file textures or sounds should work perfectly, mods that add NIF files or have their files in BSAs will need some work. BSAs will need to be unpacked, nifs will need to be run through the Skyrim NIF optimizer, and ESP/ESM files will need to be loaded into the new creation kit and re-saved.

Edit: NIFs means "any 3D model" just to be clear.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

I actually have a section on that in the revised OP I keep putting off posting, but the tldr of it is: Mods that add loose-file textures or sounds should work perfectly, mods that add NIF files or have their files in BSAs will need some work. BSAs will need to be unpacked, nifs will need to be run through the Skyrim NIF optimizer, and ESP/ESM files will need to be loaded into the new creation kit and re-saved.

Edit: NIFs means "any 3D model" just to be clear.

Thanks! I'll run these body replacers through that nif optimizer before I install them. Otherwise they're loose files.

I'm kind of sad that oldrim ENB presets don't work though, I found the one that I liked and didn't destroy my computer and now I can't use it.

Edit: Also looks like I'll be hopping on the ol' mod making bandwagon again for a couple of minor mods that didn't get ported to SSE, because gently caress YOU game, I wanna carry All The Food And Potions and hate having to waste valuable salt piles in cooking when I could be using them in alchemy. (And also because I prefer the ol' Headbomb's Better Sorting style.)

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 11, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Few things quick before the forums crash again :rolleyes:

1.) Try Imaginator as opposed the ENB. Uses in-engine effects to enhance the graphics, no performance hit. SE looks tons better than Oldrim naturally.
2.) Oldrim texture mods look great in SE, especially since all Bethesda did was upscale the Oldrim HD DLC and add a noise filter. 2048 texture mods look better than the 4096? that SE ships with, because care was taken with them (aMidianBorn stuff looks amazing.) Edit: Except Landscape textures, for some reason the format changed slightly, but Noble Skyrim at least has a patch. Had. I dunno, haven't checked in a while. :)
3.) Those mods you mention look like ones that would convert easily just by loadng them into the new Creation Kit and saving them.
4.) Feel free to peruse my folder of mods I converted for personal use. Please don't share that link outside this thread. :)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

poo poo, when I made my original Better Sorting patch for Hearthfire, I just did it all in tesvedit. Just changing item names, and weights for the reduced weight/weightless variants of the foods. Figured it wouldn't be hard to do it that way again, just gotta wait a few more hours for skyrim to download.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just open it in SSE edit and save it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I need to find an ENB that doesn't destroy my computer. Or I guess I could just not run ENB since I'm planning on playing the game rather than just looking at it. It'll be another month or so before I build a new PC, assuming that I can get a 1080ti for less than my left testicle. Going from 60fps frame locked to ~25fps in weather/landscape isn't really acceptable, considering I was planning on doing a magic character.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Run IMAGINATOR instead. It uses in engine effects to get a better image.

If you're put off by all the sliders, there's a good thread on Reddit that has a bunch of presets. I can't be arsed to find it myself.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Run IMAGINATOR instead. It uses in engine effects to get a better image.
The point of ENB is to add effects that aren't doable in-engine since it effectively hacks the renderer (to be able to do those things). I think the biggest thing is ENBs are able to gently caress with light sources & shadows in a way that base Skyrim rendering simply can't.

But yes, probably alot of stuff is probably doable without the weight of ENB (haven't used IMAGINATOR).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 11, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Mod Organizer 2 is just for the Special Edition, right? I'm finally about to try and set up some mods to work with (generally going a few at a time to slowly ease into my huge planned modlist), but I don't want to end up botching at the first hurdle.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Well, one thing about using MO2 for all the things nowadays is letting it handle nxm links--you can either have MO2 doing that effortlessly, or original MO. Apart from that, it's come a long way with the new dev team and I'd prefer to use it over the nexus whatever. Profiles work again!

(I gather you were maybe asking about using it with oldrim? You totally can, or you can use the last stable tannin release)

(But seriously use MO)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Okay, if MO2 works for oldrim, then I'm definitely installing that instead of MO1. Back when I used to play this more I used NMM, but I can see these days that simply isn't true.

Also, one more dumb question. I know people say there's "no such thing as a clean save," but I know that refers to yanking saves out of an existing game. A fully uninstalled, deleted, and reinstalled Skyrim, following the Make Skyrim Vanilla Again guide, should be perfectly fine, right?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Welp, I've had to install the Bethesda Launcher in order to download the SSE CK because apparently, somehow, the alchemy effects on items changed by Headbomb's Better Sorting disappeared. Just opening them in the CK, saying "yes" to fixing all the things, and saving fixes it. Thus far I've had to open the ingredients esp and the potions esp in this way.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So, is there any mod that makes stealing from buildings and pickpocketing significantly more profitable?

I have the urge to play as a thief and make a shitton of money and just pay NPCs to train me in anything I want to.

I don't want it to be utterly unbalance, just quite a bit more rewarding than it currently is. I want an incentive to break into places and risk life and limb pickpocketing rich people in palaces.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I believe that Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade, of all things, does so, but I dont know if it has an SE port.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I forget what it's called, but I saw one for SSE that basically gave people more gold overall and made the fancy clothes worth more so that it's worth breaking into rich people's houses.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Also, Taiyoko especially, your complaint about salt made me remember one feature I added to my house mod for exactly that reason: Infinite Salt Bag (and an Infinite Woodpile too.)

Edit: I really like the Shrouded Robe variants I threw in that mod because I didn't have a seperate one, so I'm posting the picture here again:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, Taiyoko especially, your complaint about salt made me remember one feature I added to my house mod for exactly that reason: Infinite Salt Bag (and an Infinite Woodpile too.)

Edit: I really like the Shrouded Robe variants I threw in that mod because I didn't have a seperate one, so I'm posting the picture here again:

Look at this Thalmor sympathizer

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Look at this Thalmor sympathizer

You take that back. Thalmor are targets for all right-thinking Altmer, an abberation of history to be scoured from the surface of Tamriel with cleansing fire.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

So, is there any mod that makes stealing from buildings and pickpocketing significantly more profitable?

I have the urge to play as a thief and make a shitton of money and just pay NPCs to train me in anything I want to.

I don't want it to be utterly unbalance, just quite a bit more rewarding than it currently is. I want an incentive to break into places and risk life and limb pickpocketing rich people in palaces.

Ordinator is a good start. It has branches of lock picking and pickpocketing that target those two specific things.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Agents are GO! posted:

That scarcity is just realism. Everyone knows the medieval economy revolved around salt and leeks for cooking soups. And milk and butter, of course, but those commodities were too rare and precious to be everyday means of exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Assuming you're not joking, realism is exactly what we want in our viking jesus game where we yell at dragons until they die.