Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I've gotten similar speeches from southwest before, but not as good as this one. At christmas they will occasionally sing instructions to the tune of christmas carols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LifeSunDeath posted:

never watched this movie but now i want to

Do it. You'll learn things, like that pools are perfect for holding water.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

withak posted:

I've gotten similar speeches from southwest before, but not as good as this one. At christmas they will occasionally sing instructions to the tune of christmas carols.

Yeah pretty much every SW flight I've been on they do at least a few jokes, I will agree I've never gotten one as good as this.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

angryrobots posted:

Sorry in advance for the Snapchat caption, this was the only picture I took.

Only one guy in this crew of (painters or roofers, I don't recall) would scale this bad idea in action. As bad as it looks set up - them leaning the ladder over, standing on the edge of the carport roof, was extremely sketchy.

If they nailed some blocks into the lower roof to prevent it from sliding it's fine, the real danger isn't the lack of a 3-4 story ladder, it's working at that height and roof slant in general. A lot of the safety equipment sucks for these sorts of heights (high enough to kill you but still relatively short) sucks as well and can cause just as many problems as they solve. Kinda like how free climbing cell towers is allowed because the 'safe' way to do it is just as risky.

Roofing is risky because you often have to do some jury-rigged solution like that, needing to ladder up from a lower roof to a higher one is pretty common and probably one of the least risky things you'll do that day.

Solar power has caused far more deaths in just the past few years than nuclear power has in it's entire existence exactly because of that.

tsa fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 11, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChesterJT posted:

It's just a simple farmer jack but I don't think anyone was thinking the jack was going to bend.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ChesterJT posted:

It's just a simple farmer jack but I don't think anyone was thinking the jack was going to bend.

Uh, that is literally the fear that the person I’m quoting uttered.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:golfclap: Brilliant.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

this might not be thread related but i'm digging this new thing where gifs/webms have a visible progress bar underneath them without having to right click and hit "show controls" or whatever. not sure if it's a certain program that does it

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

God. drat.

Also be sure to utilize all PPE while commuting to and from your work environment:

https://i.imgur.com/CramRlw.gifv

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 11, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

trapped mouse posted:

this might not be thread related but i'm digging this new thing where gifs/webms have a visible progress bar underneath them without having to right click and hit "show controls" or whatever. not sure if it's a certain program that does it

Ya know I thought the same thing. It’s also nice that it doesn’t take over the whole UI on iOS

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mo_Steel posted:

God. drat.

Also be sure to utilize all PPE while commuting to and from your work environment:

I'm the guy casually walking past the motorcycle that flew into the crosswalk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MF_James posted:

Yeah pretty much every SW flight I've been on they do at least a few jokes, I will agree I've never gotten one as good as this.

"Please have your cups, napkins, wallets, and watches ready for collection."

PSA was awesome back in the late 80s.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mo_Steel posted:

God. drat.

So how did this happen?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So how did this happen?

Judging by the signs in the background as the cyclist looks around to see the car, Russia is how it happened.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look in the bike's rear view mirrors.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

So how did this happen?

Texting while driving, probably

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

So how did this happen?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wow I missed the point of that question completely. I thought it was pretty obvious what happened, and Nissin Cup Nudist was just looking for an explanation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Applesnots posted:

Pretty clever, I would have used a thicker bolt at the top and perhaps something stronger than pine.

Pine is actually one of the strongest woods when it comes to loads like this. Excellent compression strength, as strong as oak.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

tsa posted:

A lot of the safety equipment sucks for these sorts of heights (high enough to kill you but still relatively short) sucks as well and can cause just as many problems as they solve. Kinda like how free climbing cell towers is allowed because the 'safe' way to do it is just as risky.

Tower jobs like that can be done with rope access standards now. I've never been apart, but some of the experienced techs at work have done that prior.

Drop a couple sets of rope and you can just chug yourself up the towers with two points of contact. I kind of like that I only use it in a refinery currently and only deal with 30 foot climbs most days, and at most 200' drops.

Some random google pics

Be nice to that cladding and insulation, buddy! :argh:

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Mo_Steel posted:

God. drat.

That guy on the motorbike shouldve seen that coming

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Fallows posted:

:can:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Fallows posted:

Even if he did, after he was stopped at the red light, with a half second to react, what should he have done? Pop an ollie real quick?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mozi posted:

Even if he did, after he was stopped at the red light, with a half second to react, what should he have done? Pop an ollie real quick?

If this thread has taught me anything it's that he should've remained inside the automobile.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So the video cuts off before the motorcyclist starts wailing on the car's windshield and pulling the driver out to punch them, I assume.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

On the plus side they saved the two pedestrians from a knockin'

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

There was room in the next lane for the car to avoid the motorcycle. This is what happens when you are trying to pick up loose change off the floor while driving.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yet another problem solved by the blockchain

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:black101:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

how can you not hear that

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Why would you want to stop doing that?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LifeSunDeath posted:

After the first mile you're deaf anyways.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Looks like a full environmental cab so he probably can't hear poo poo over the combination of the engine and a/c or heater.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Guyver posted:

Looks like a full environmental cab so he probably can't hear poo poo over the combination of the engine and a/c or heater.

The trucking company I worked at had drivers that would routinely leave the yard with a totally locked dually on the trailer, and either had absolutely no idea what was happening, or just didn't give a poo poo and figured "hey, it'll loosen up here in a couple of hundred yards or so". It was hilarious leaving work and seeing a dual tire skidmark for, like, a mile and a half. I mean, in your mirror, wouldn't THE SMOKE POURING OUT OF THE BACK OF YOUR TRAILER give you half a clue?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ahh, I see someone has figured out the secret to sharpening their blades at the same time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RetrOSHA.

"Two ladies are suspended high above the Hollywoodland sign as they ride on the shovel from Western Construction Co.'s working steam shovel in 1927. Los Angeles Public Library photo archive."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

New ghost Rider looking good.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
For $100, you can have your name welded to the inside of death wears bunny slippers' missile silo. It'll give the paramedics something to read when they come to salvage his body.

https://youtu.be/ctAAcgDRiLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't understand how anyone would willingly give someone money who prioritizes getting a sw8 home theater setup before fixing things like idk ground water intrusion

The guy is absolutely insufferable