Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Yeah, but even with heat pipes, I don't think it decays over time; it only drops with distance (it "flows") and as it's consumed.

Water / Steam will not lose temperature over time while sitting in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Could you mod tanks to act like flare stacks for steam only, to slowly drain them?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Foehammer posted:

Yeah, but even with heat pipes, I don't think it decays over time; it only drops with distance (it "flows") and as it's consumed.

Yup this is how it works

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Foehammer posted:

LoL that's gotta be an oversight/bug

Renegret posted:

It's the most factorio thing

I wish there was a way to train electricity

LOL - and train heat too. Couldn't imagine a 1000 degree tanker offloading pure fiery hell into a storage tank >_<

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Slayerjerman posted:

LoL that's gotta be an oversight/bug

Neither, the complexity and performance hit would be pretty harsh. Flow (of water, heat and steam) is already one of the worst performing (UPS wise) parts of a nuclear setup.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
They were originally gonna have heat decay, cooling towers, and all these heat regulation design requirements that could have otherwise led to meltdowns or whatever, but ultimately they decided the gameplay value did not justify the performance demands, and so now "excess" nuclear power just kinda disappears into nothing, and controlling fuel input is just kind of a minor thing that some people like to do to conserve uranium, or just for the sake of it.

You can read about their original nuclear design ideas in the old friday updates. It's kinda too bad they didn't make it into the game, it would have been interesting
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-164

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It is a good thing they think of the performance when it comes to game mechanics. The physical inaccuracies in the game are there in the name of gameplay and performance, not because the devs don't know how thermodynamics work.

There are mods that quadruple the complexity of the game with a big performance hit, and you can play vanilla factorio on an old computer or low end laptop.

I really appreciate their design philosophy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vic posted:

There are mods that quadruple the complexity of the game with a big performance hit, and you can play vanilla factorio on an old computer or low end laptop.
It runs beautifully on a Macbook Pro, and a lot of PC ports don't.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It's not written by the cheapest devs one can buy, unlike most Mac ports.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Vic posted:

It is a good thing they think of the performance when it comes to game mechanics. The physical inaccuracies in the game are there in the name of gameplay and performance, not because the devs don't know how thermodynamics work.

I really appreciate their design philosophy.

It really is well done in so many respects.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
so i'm making a thing...

(it's basically Foreman (literally, under the hood), but you can specify the final output as "Assemblers running full pelt" rather than "items produced per second")

(and it's laid out like a spreadsheet instead of some fancy graph thing)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

so i'm making a thing...

(it's basically Foreman (literally, under the hood), but you can specify the final output as "Assemblers running full pelt" rather than "items produced per second")

(and it's laid out like a spreadsheet instead of some fancy graph thing)

Looks good, but I think it already exists: https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

that tool is too limited for me. no mod support and it seems to assume that you are a slave to the Almighty Bus

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Zetsubou-san posted:

that tool is too limited for me. no mod support and it seems to assume that you are a slave to the Almighty Bus

Have you seen helmod? It's still based on items per second, but it's fully mod compatible and has an automatically updating ingame gui.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

Well mod support would mean you manually updating the tool for each mod (and every change in mods atop regular changes in vanilla) so that wouldn't make sense, and I'm not sure what you mean by that second part. Like should it calculate train and bot throughput? There's a ton of variables for those. That wouldn't make sense in terms of practicality.

I mean there's more stuff than in your screenshot like being able to account for beacons and different speed modules and there's a nice friendly UI for it. Also a visualization. Also pipe throughput.

By all means don't stop with the project but don't hate on my favorite factocalc

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Man, I am enjoying buffer chests and priority splitters. I like using them to recycle trashed materials back into the factory, rather than having them clog some storage chest. People are probably all already doing this, but I am proud of myself for figuring it out.

For example, lets say I want to keep a small supply of iron plates around such that they can be requested. I want any plates over that to be put back into the factory. Random chests full of iron plates don't do me any good.

The buffer chest is set to request 20k iron, so any random iron plates floating around in the network get placed in it. The right inserter is wired to the chest, and is set to only be enabled if the chest contains less than 100 plates. So it will load the chest if it is low. The top inserter is also wired to the chest is set to only be enabled if the chest has more than 120 plates. It will empty plates if the chest gets too high. The splitter is set with left input priority, so that the plates out of the chest get priority to be put on to the line.

This way I have between 100 and 120 iron plates in the network ready to be requested for things like nuclear fuel. At the same time, if an iron line gets ripped up and a bunch of plates enter the network, they'll be placed into this chest and reinserted into the factory rather than clogging up some random storage chest.

I have a lot of common items wired like that. Ores are all reinserted into the smelting line. Anything that might commonly be ripped up by bots will be put back into its proper place by the appropriate factory. For example, any old yellow/red belts that get ripped up will be put into buffer chests that keep a small supply, and push the rest into making blues.

It is nice just being able to put materials from my inventory into trash slots too, and know the logistics robots will carry them off to be recycled.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 8, 2018

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Does the contents of a requestor or buffer chest count as being in the logistics network?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

A buffer chest works as both a requester and provider, and does provide its contents to the logistics network. It requests at a lower priority than actual requester chests though. So the small supply of plates in that chest is requestable by players, or by any requester chests that have 'request from buffer chests' checked.

A buffer chest will not pull back out of requester chests, as they do not make their contents available to the network.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Vic posted:

Well mod support would mean you manually updating the tool for each mod (and every change in mods atop regular changes in vanilla) so that wouldn't make sense, and I'm not sure what you mean by that second part. Like should it calculate train and bot throughput? There's a ton of variables for those. That wouldn't make sense in terms of practicality.

I mean there's more stuff than in your screenshot like being able to account for beacons and different speed modules and there's a nice friendly UI for it. Also a visualization. Also pipe throughput.

By all means don't stop with the project but don't hate on my favorite factocalc

i meant that was no in-tool way to split various items up. the line for copper tells you the total for copper, with no way to easily split it into copper-for-thing-A, copper-for-thing-B, and copper-for-things-C-and-D, the visualization sorta-almost does it, but it only tells you throughput for each line, not how many smelters you need to reach that. That seems like a bus-focused design, to me.

The beacon thing is pretty nifty.

I'm not hating on it, it's just limited in the ways I would want to use something like that.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Zetsubou-san posted:

i meant that was no in-tool way to split various items up. the line for copper tells you the total for copper, with no way to easily split it into copper-for-thing-A, copper-for-thing-B, and copper-for-things-C-and-D, the visualization sorta-almost does it, but it only tells you throughput for each line, not how many smelters you need to reach that. That seems like a bus-focused design, to me.

I'm not hating on it, it's just limited in the ways I would want to use something like that.

Factorio Planner does what you're describing I think, it divides all the elements and their requirements into a tree view. Although it's more limited than the Factorio Calculator in other ways, like not being able to plug in the number of machines and get the per/time output of that, so I don't prefer it

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

super fart shooter posted:

Factorio Planner does what you're describing I think, it divides all the elements and their requirements into a tree view. Although it's more limited than the Factorio Calculator in other ways, like not being able to plug in the number of machines and get the per/time output of that, so I don't prefer it

There is a method for doing that with that calculator. Put in A32, for example, instead of the units/sec you want and it will calculate based off that number of tier 3 assemblers making the desired product. A = tier 3, B = tier 2, C = tier 1, so B12 will give you the resources needed to feed 12 tier 2 assemblers, etc.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Dootman posted:

There is a method for doing that with that calculator. Put in A32, for example, instead of the units/sec you want and it will calculate based off that number of tier 3 assemblers making the desired product. A = tier 3, B = tier 2, C = tier 1, so B12 will give you the resources needed to feed 12 tier 2 assemblers, etc.

Hey, you're right, and it says so right down there in the tips. I guess they either added that recently, or I just never read the directions too carefully...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

You mean this?

Or are you saying it doesn't for example break down the number of assemblers for the copper cable for you? Because it takes a click to select for that item specifically. I'm not seeing how any of that means a bus.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The perfect Factorio calculator is Factorio.app and the way you get results is by building more until you have enough.

(the only enough is More)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

At some point you start wondering though how much exactly is More. Because this is a half blue belt of blue chips (unupgraded)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No modules and beacons all the way up for that many blue chips is brutal.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
New to the game. Should I play through the story first? Or is it better to just jump in and mess around in the other modes?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

RobotDogPolice posted:

New to the game. Should I play through the story first? Or is it better to just jump in and mess around in the other modes?

Starting the story is the best way to learn the basics but you can jump out of it and in to the 'real' game whenever you feel comfortable

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The story is more like an extended tutorial, I got as far as the train scenario then started playing sandbox

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I ran into some annoyances with 0.16 side loading compression mechanics, so I made some things:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7WINnZn0jlfsV8kM/giphy.gif

The 2nd one is just a re-arrangement of the 1st one.

The 3rd one requires a filter on the 3rd yellow splitter to properly separate the top/bottom.

These will turn 2 fully compressed yellow belts into a fully compressed split red belt, and I also included upgraded versions that compress a blue belt from 2 red belts (uses 75% of each belt).

Blueprint String:

0eNrlW8uO20YQ/BWBZyng9JDU45hbYOQSn4IgWEgrWibCJQWScrww9O8ZSrtr7YrUVA2HiWOfBL2KzZnpruou6UuwyQ/pvsqK5m5Tln8Fqy9fX6mD1R8XT9v3svuyOL9cZ7tinbevNY/7NFgFWZM+BNOgWD+0z+p9njVNWgXHaZAV2/RzsFLHqfVrH9Z1M2uqdVHvy6qZbdK8uUCQ45/TIC2arMnScxSnJ493xeFhY661UtfXnwb7sjZfKIv2ogZkJtPgsX34KTbI26xK78/vShvfG0B5AXwT1BVseEbVrzGjDkwNY85UJ2hXoBEOqp/u3w4a39yXviUAgJMX4IPZ2WpXlebxNqo5Pc9Hpjw0+0N7Lq5w5/TSin2/FjSosoMuYdBuzK5VVeHr/erPgacUCJEUUIoNFVhTJdzR0vgiaDYTENAILywKWtSYLCwhgMln1UVSZUVPTqk5t1VPSYAETGeWOnbBsLkEhCYhGxpQ9USRmy7HlvBODLm64OFpkK/N18xr77Ntmpfr7eT3NM/LvydNOfkt3U5+fTf5xXzqU1rVJ8hkMZdwqRaxLL+SadhG+P8kd5TitE+Cf9YNfhn+hYy9cHpnfuClZhbBZTZBCqIphTAjzIeyrAyjbvlWqBtUWUCgF8xt0QOa0QN4ysi/x9rRbdYGT76imNvOsj1cCJBuQpKuwKQ750nXK5OLVyYfxt1hfyyiXJofRFoIcYDk9vnp74REc+FHcPg0KwHFX2IWFKF2iqM6GVjm7LnWAySbXbOp71+ziVfNpmBQTUsF8TmVCR2GMv2n+ll4XPH5NPiQ5e1XVsE+N1ub3c826xbgXEnuzLkqK3M1836V7T52lpYEvik9gvrDF5/gpAStfksWkxR/gKSIu3EBTUEkYwzLCfHTpFwIwBvFOmJ0Kk1UISApY2LCfBVmMnRq09f6AIKA130hEPxijLZlOWw2lgzThHgjSMxz8PmlCAnarYE1eb9+lR8+RyCUHy5RE7TvjYl6IuQcFK//shhhZC3LEfo8HfJ9nh2UNRgQTKF7QDumJjMTwYzIPEUw2ZRSQ3oWe9Mi7k3L6/TlOpf0875K69pL82IpI46WMmOqUlNnxqfhzGUM2cVh7tkuLybzKeqxnGZqsRVjN1PIwgyuIWR349mjT6yuDognV1vok+fkQWOVQ5ENDZOG3Ezb76zzorlBV5mwj+duCQ6Z3m5ZaJtqE9nBmdTEtomPaXef6Q3qiFY9GBHxs/kMZlbr70RDjOJcMw7RGEIC87ApLIuRjWG5uNlD2Fw86ARx1QmebPhvRiM42dx2jeDodEMhi7NAGMXzZpKEEwkwl4uDUAC53N1anztSO+OCM8luEw1cZzSCbrjltTu55N2Gu7BHwIc5ji6uiz/OpLamRqUMMmK/JzSX2OxyJgFwz/ytbrQLx+gHE47iXzi6eOiU2BHvE6jQ9S8O/7mlzvwanvLVGQVDmesoXzv71qQkJbxrkgfxnwko5YQMSUfx2FE56tCQ16G+TP3Yx58REp8KdKAZD1oL2G8JFh7meImHERbevLFalDDSlQtyiEhTf5a69tFhRh5kqJNj7/mXpQnRxzs696jcdzLvPU/lZTlWo6pDx0aV8fKJ1pIz9KlGk3H1iTLBWftEbnP+PpGAyr3JsndZcRf27PSH8usLZMVu8v5jWqyLbGciN59Ym7v9lN49/zGt52rHfwAKseYj

Edit: Bonus concept-phase model that is worse in every way than the 1st one above:

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 10, 2018

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

And, since it's been a fun day in the creative mode lab, here's a throughput tester I made that asserts that two belts are putting through the same volume:

(Needs to be reset with the combinator to sync, since measuring belt contents is a moving target)

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

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm looking for good designs for smart train stations, primarily for unloading but loading might be interesting too. Really I'd like for my outposts and city blocks to be able to request and receive items to maintain a balance of each item type required.

These need to be fairly high throughput as well -- two blue belts.

Does anyone have anything that would suit?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

yoloer420 posted:

I'm looking for good designs for smart train stations, primarily for unloading but loading might be interesting too. Really I'd like for my outposts and city blocks to be able to request and receive items to maintain a balance of each item type required.

These need to be fairly high throughput as well -- two blue belts.

Does anyone have anything that would suit?

Depends on how you have your base set up. Snak had a setup that was fairly robust, but worked in solids only and assumed a centralized factory with decentralized resources sources. I'm currently working on a setup that'll take any solid and fluid to anywhere, and assumes a decentralized setup where patches and factory areas can be anywhere. I'm like 80% done with mine. I just have to iterate through testing and redo the loading stations to meet the latest network requirements.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Ok, last dumb thing I made today:

Compares the throughput of 2 belts, outputting the total item counts that pass through as signals A and B. The difference between A and B is output as signal C, and the lights go on if C > 0.

It's how I can assert perfect compression :spergin:

Also works well for verifying factory cell builds that put out "guaranteed blue belt of circuits" or w/e.

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

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Getting tired of the nuclear plant designs on factorioprints that have inputs which make them really tough to place without filling in a lake, or that try to store steam with buggy regulation logic. I am trying my hand at making some of my own some basic, non steam-storing, non-bot plants designs in creator first. My two and my four reactor designs seem to work well, but my eight is kind of making GBS threads the bed on actual vs theoretical output.

Two reactor. Does a steady state 159 MW. Seems to be where it should be, given the theoretical 160.

Four reactor. Does a steady state 478 MW out of a theoretical 480. I could definitely see myself using this one in a game. Cheap and effective power to help you get bots and electric smelting going.

Eight reactor. This one seems to be making GBS threads the theoretical bed, and is only doing 735 out of a possible maximum of 1120 MW. Under load, I notice that I don't get visible output out of all of the steam turbines. Any thoughts? I am thinking it is maybe a temperature problem, as I notice the furthest heat exchangers are 683 degrees, compared to 986 degrees for the closest ones.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Eight reactor. This one seems to be making GBS threads the theoretical bed, and is only doing 735 out of a possible maximum of 1120 MW. Under load, I notice that I don't get visible output out of all of the steam turbines. Any thoughts? I am thinking it is maybe a temperature problem, as I notice the furthest heat exchangers are 683 degrees, compared to 986 degrees for the closest ones.
That's still higher than 500C, so temperature is not your issue. Without replicating your layout my best guess is that you're exceeding the capacity of the pipes, and that's why the later turbines don't get any steam.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It's been a long while since I've messed with it and my memory is fuzzy, but it has to do with pipe limits.
-From a "trunk pipe" you get about 2 full turbines and a half-starved third, the rest on that line will be virtually empty. Blocks of 4-5 seem to work best, if there's a steam pipe on both ends.
-Trunk pipes themselves have a limit. My memory fails me, but you should have as many "outlets" of steam as possible/reasonable; your 8-reactor layout has 4 outlets and that ain't gonna cut it.
-Heat pipes lose their gusto over distance, I believe it's "past 50 = worse" and wouldn't be surprised if your edge boilers are't getting their heat.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think you are right with the 'trunk pipe' thought. I believe I need to expand the pipe capacity going into the steam turbines.

I just spent an hour or so playing with the circuit network, and I believe I have now modified my two-reactor setup to store steam and moderate the fuel usage. It seems to run through some tests in creative mode just fine.

With 22 tanks, it can hold 550k units of steam. If the total units of steam in the tanks is less than 100k, and there is a single empty fuel cell in each the steel chests, it will remove the empty fuel cells from the chests and insert fresh ones into the reactors. A complete burn of two cells with two reactors looks to generate about 320k steam, so at 100k+320k the tanks should be able to hold a complete burn with no energy draw. It can steady state 159 MW, and can do 162 MW draining stored up steam. If anybody wants to give it a shot in their next game to tell me if it works, I would appreciate it. It should be a pretty good starter plant. I was pretty frugal with the resources, and it doesn't require bots. Fuel goes in on the bottom belt, and used fuel returns on the top belt.
https://pastebin.com/EkpWGqDP

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 11, 2018

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Hey GotLag, how do your electric boilers work?

I figured I could run a handful of early coal miners from the electric boilers to make sure that I never brown out except when the patch is depleted, but they don't seem to produce steam without an external kicker, and even then only slowly. Guess I'll take advantage of the splitter priority stuff instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nullkigan posted:

I figured I could run a handful of early coal miners from the electric boilers to make sure that I never brown out except when the patch is depleted, but they don't seem to produce steam without an external kicker, and even then only slowly. Guess I'll take advantage of the splitter priority stuff instead.

Could you explain what you mean by this? Youre burning coal to make steam to make electricity, then using that electricity to make steam somewhere else to make electricity just for the coal miners?

Thats a very lossy way to do it, if youre really worried about it you can use copper wire to separate off two steam engines from your main network that power nothing but your coal miners. You shift click with copper wire to disconnect a pole from the automatic wiring, then use copper wire to connect it how you want.