Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm having a builder's tea

I hope you’re using Yorkshire Tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

lol if you don't drink cornish smugglers tea exclusively.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not being a hipster, no, it’s yorkshire tea or nowt.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They don't even grow it in Yorkshire, it's all a con.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
They don't grow Irn Bru in Iran either but that won't stop me

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
When I worked in england one of the guys made me a Yorkshire tea with two bags. Handed it to me and said "welcome to England, this is a proper tea"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Unless it was in a sports direct mug that was a unnecessary waste of a good teabag.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ilmucche posted:

When I worked in england one of the guys made me a Yorkshire tea with two bags. Handed it to me and said "welcome to England, this is a proper tea"

Yorkshire gold is where it's at.

Two bags though.... Gaddam that's a strong cuppa tea

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Sorry if this is old news - nice meltdown Scott Speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQh5O2RG4CQ

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Finally got to see the mclaren doc.
The high-tech, devoid of any form of humanity headquarters in the middle of the British countryside made it feel like a black mirror episode.
It even had technology going horribly wrong.

I loved stoffel's dad. And the fact that stoffel speaks with a very thick west-flemish accent.
Something he manages to hide very well when he speaks english/french. Maybe he shouldn't, anything to give him some personality.

deep inside the mind of every mclaren engineer in the room when they heard that clicking sound:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Woking is not in the countryside

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
cmlaren is barely woking

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A really depressing thing about the McLaren technology centre is that it was built on an ancient woodland.

the most Ron thing ever is that where the Mclaren park is now was all trees with winding public footpaths going through it, and the anal retentive motherfucker also decimated that, so now it’s all clean grass with a few benches in it. Presumably because he couldn’t bare to see all that disorderly “nature” out of his office window.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

learnincurve posted:

Unless it was in a sports direct mug that was a unnecessary waste of a good teabag.

It was the north, so obviously.

Lou Takki posted:

Yorkshire gold is where it's at.
Two bags though.... Gaddam that's a strong cuppa tea

I was amazing, but I raced like a pisshorse for the rest of the afternoon.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dubs posted:

cmlaren is barely woking

Hardly any of the teams are very woke though. At least F1 is trying with the grid kids thing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

monkeytennis posted:

I hope you’re using Yorkshire Tea.

I actually am lol

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mrfart posted:

The high-tech, devoid of any form of humanity headquarters
Seriously, it looked like an awful place to work. Maybe they only hire people on the spectrum?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The annex for holding PR events is called the "Thought Leadership Centre." It sounds like a brainwashing camp run by Scientologists.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

mrfart posted:

Finally got to see the mclaren doc.
The high-tech, devoid of any form of humanity headquarters in the middle of the British countryside made it feel like a black mirror episode.
It even had technology going horribly wrong.

you can't see it from the roundabout you have to turn off to get to it, and you can't see it from the security gate you have to sign in at. Hell, when you get to the car park all you see are these five pods which cover the lifts, then when you get out of the lifts you have to trek down a long rear end corridor and then hope like hell you can find the reception desk. It is very much the definition of "what if we made a Bond villain liar, but efficiently boring instead?" and thankfully I've not been there in a year or so

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the mclaren people as seen on their doc look like accountants and or business people, they need people with passion like toto, horner and my favorite Maurizio

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Seriously, I never thought Toto and Horny Spice could look like fun people to talk to but in comparison to everyone in McLaren management I'd love to hang out with those two

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
matt bishop is a loving rear end in a top hat

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Eric came across as an all round good and alright guy with a huge man crush on nando.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stoffel seems like a nice lad, he should drive for a better team

also i find this doc about the best team, scuderia ferrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhhAggFtJ1s

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I was disappointed that they didn't show any of the senior engineering staff.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont care much about stoffel life story, when the meltdowns because the car loving sucks begins?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

i dont care much about stoffel life story, when the meltdowns because the car loving sucks begins?

Turn the monitor off.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's pretty mediocre given the material. Also, it looks like a terrible place to work.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It really feels like they had planned to do a full season documentary and McLaren kicked them out after they realized how bad they were gonna be. Four episodes is weirdly short and there's not even enough content to justify that.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

wicka posted:

It really feels like they had planned to do a full season documentary and McLaren kicked them out after they realized how bad they were gonna be. Four episodes is weirdly short and there's not even enough content to justify that.

I wouldn't rule out the option that Honda actually veto'd the documentary from going on. It's rather clear that the whole show should have been something different. At least here in Germany, it was marketed as "a look into the dangerous world of a formula 1 driver", which this documentary obviously ain't about. I can only assume they hoped to do a "phoenix out of the ashes"-type of documentary with young and upcoming Stoffel against the veteran Fernando, but Honda hosed it up...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honda engine arrives

doesnt fit the car

the thing was a disaster from moment one

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Let's not be too quick to blame Honda, maybe it was the car that didn't fit the engine

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

tuo posted:

I wouldn't rule out the option that Honda actually veto'd the documentary from going on. It's rather clear that the whole show should have been something different. At least here in Germany, it was marketed as "a look into the dangerous world of a formula 1 driver", which this documentary obviously ain't about. I can only assume they hoped to do a "phoenix out of the ashes"-type of documentary with young and upcoming Stoffel against the veteran Fernando, but Honda hosed it up...

I think you're right. It's called "Grand Prix Driver" and they spend a lot of time focusing on Stoffel, and that all goes out the window after the engine arrives.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would have been nice for the documentary to try to explore why the engine didn't fit on the car, and if McLaren felt that was sensitive information in a documentary ~a year after the event then don't have a documentary done.

I know someone who works at McLaren in their marketing/PR team, she seems to enjoy it, gets to go to the races etc.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

Let's not be too quick to blame Honda, maybe it was the car that didn't fit the engine

I lean towards putting the blame on McLaren on that one. Those cars go through countless loving revisions and it was clear from 2014 that McLaren got to dictate the engine position to Honda. Every meeting they showed looked like a massive clusterfuck so I'm guessing somebody didn't read an email or signed off on a change without communicating it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Every meeting they showed looked like a massive clusterfuck

What?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

I know someone who works at McLaren in their marketing/PR team, she seems to enjoy it, gets to go to the races etc.
Is she colorblind and was she raised with no pets or plants or toys or life of any kind around her?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How long did that floor loving take? They all acted like it was ready to go.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

How long did that floor loving take? They all acted like it was ready to go.

...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

...what?

You were watching the McLaren documentary where they went from a plan of having two cars ready by launch to having to wheel the one non-functional car back to the shop to actually put suspension in it and missed the shakedown right?

• Locked thread