Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

dentist toy box posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out is wrong with my TT, it's a MCS 6602, which from what I've heard is pretty much an off brand Technics. But anyways when i move the tonearm to the platter the strobe comes on and the platter spins for a second then stops. I'm guess it's a motor problem, but where would be a good place to start on trying to figure out whats wrong?

Is that an older TT? The TT I bought hadn't been used in at least twenty years. It had similar symptoms. Cleaning the speed potentiometers and all of the switches with some electrical cleaner fixed the power issues. Then it had a pretty bad speed wobble, which was fixed by replacing all of the capacitors (about 7). I also replaced the belt and lubricated the motor, but I'm not sure that actually needed doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ColdPie posted:

Then it had a pretty bad speed wobble, which was fixed by replacing all of the capacitors (about 7).

That looks like what I'm going to have to do with my Technics SL-23, starts wobbling after about 20 mins.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 11, 2018

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That's actually exactly the table I have. It's super easy, big components and easy to access.

E: Also, protip, jot down what you do next to the date onto some paper and slip that into the case when you close it back up. Then you, or whoever services it next, will know what was done and when.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 11, 2018

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ColdPie posted:

That's actually exactly the table I have. It's super easy, big components and easy to access.

E: Also, protip, jot down what you do next to the date onto some paper and slip that into the case when you close it back up. Then you, or whoever services it next, will know what was done and when.

Good tip. What brand of caps did you go with for your SL-23?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I ordered them from Digi-Key, but any parts supplier should have what you need for a few bucks.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

dentist toy box posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out is wrong with my TT, it's a MCS 6602, which from what I've heard is pretty much an off brand Technics. But anyways when i move the tonearm to the platter the strobe comes on and the platter spins for a second then stops. I'm guess it's a motor problem, but where would be a good place to start on trying to figure out whats wrong?

Kind of a dumb question, but does the turntable have a record on it? I know some older tables would shut down if they don't sense anything on the table.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's been a while since I posted, so here's some random stuff that have gone through the house:

Perfectly functioning Walkman

JVC wood cone speakers. Amazing sound.

Tandberg TR2045, now in near mint condition. I loving hate Tandberg, it's always a ton of work to fix them up.

Rare Sony MX-A7 mixer. Sold it way too cheap.

Previously posted SX-750. Some dude paid me the money for this like a month ago, but never picked it up.

Some more Tandbergs I just flipped, I didn't care about fixing it up.

Using my TC-D5 Pro II while testing the TR2045

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

evobatman posted:

Some more Tandbergs I just flipped, I didn't care about fixing it up.

Those look awesome

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/16/17020164/ikea-first-look-frekvens-portable-party-collection-teenage-engineering

TLDR: synthesizer/arthouse electronics darlings Teenage Engineering are collaborating on a “portable party” collection with IKEA for 2019, and word is it includes some speakers and a turntable of some kind. Maybe portable maybe not, who knows yet (not me).

No joke I would definitely look twice and maybe three times at a TE home turntable-by-way-of IKEA and I’d buy the poo poo out of a TE portable turntable. I don’t care if it had Crosley guts or whatever in it (it probably wouldn’t. i believe in you, teenage engineering)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sony is really good. Sony CD-players? The loving best!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sony is really good. Sony CD-players? The loving best!

Pretty much. My CDP-X303ES has started having some issues, which isn't unexpected at its age, and I now regret selling a bunch of good ones I've had.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/16/17020164/ikea-first-look-frekvens-portable-party-collection-teenage-engineering

TLDR: synthesizer/arthouse electronics darlings Teenage Engineering are collaborating on a “portable party” collection with IKEA for 2019, and word is it includes some speakers and a turntable of some kind. Maybe portable maybe not, who knows yet (not me).

No joke I would definitely look twice and maybe three times at a TE home turntable-by-way-of IKEA and I’d buy the poo poo out of a TE portable turntable. I don’t care if it had Crosley guts or whatever in it (it probably wouldn’t. i believe in you, teenage engineering)

http://www.watz-net.com/furimafolder/GP-3H/gp-3h.htm

Have one of these kitties in mint condition (even with a tatty original box). Still probably the coolest looking suitcase portables out there imo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I had never heard of Teenage Engineering until I found their Pocket Operators while looking for slipmats on turntablelab.com
https://teenageengineering.com/products/po

I'm definitely rooting for them too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Bought a 3000Hz calibration tape from eBay, and now they are all pretty much perfect! It took a while to find the speed controls on the Pioneer and Marantz, but it turns out you have to poke through a tiny hole on the motor itself and just slightly breathe left or right to adjust them. They also have pretty much identical modular transport designs which can be built with two or three heads, motors and belts. I've seen the same design on an Onkyo deck I had too.

The carryables were both perfect to begin with since they are quartz controlled, but the TC-D5 got a cleaning of the volume potmeter. You have to be something between an octopus and a watchmaker to work on that thing!

Already sold off a bunch of these, which sound REALLY nice:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had never heard of Teenage Engineering until I found their Pocket Operators while looking for slipmats on turntablelab.com
https://teenageengineering.com/products/po

I'm definitely rooting for them too.

The OP-1 has been my #1 unnecessary lust item that I can never justify buying for like 5 straight years. I’ve purchased a bunch of other gear in the meantime that have seemed more immediately useful or necessary but every time I see one the desire burns in me.

I really like the industrial design of the smart speaker they recently released in China, so I’m excited to see the rest of the collection too. Same goes for the rumored guitar- maybe a contemporary Scandinavian take on the Danelectro?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The OP-1 has been my #1 unnecessary lust item that I can never justify buying for like 5 straight years. I’ve purchased a bunch of other gear in the meantime that have seemed more immediately useful or necessary but every time I see one the desire burns in me.

I really like the industrial design of the smart speaker they recently released in China, so I’m excited to see the rest of the collection too. Same goes for the rumored guitar- maybe a contemporary Scandinavian take on the Danelectro?

I own a Dan-o and I think this would be cool and good.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Uh yeah that OP-1 set up is gorgeous. I like the look of the dial remote too. Add that to the list of poo poo I can’t afford

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Picked up a Pioneer SX-3700. Its great, but I need to upgrade to better speakers. I live in a smaller apt so I don't need super loud speakers. I'm not looking to spend too much right now, is it worth going brand new? The specs says the receiver outputs 45W per channel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Picked up a Pioneer SX-3700. Its great, but I need to upgrade to better speakers. I live in a smaller apt so I don't need super loud speakers. I'm not looking to spend too much right now, is it worth going brand new? The specs says the receiver outputs 45W per channel.

I like new speakers and I also like vintage used speakers. As long as they work properly you’re golden- and you can save a bit of money going vintage or preowned if they’re in good operational shape/well maintained (that benefit may evaporate if you have to work on them yourself).

Both have their pros and cons. As a collector/enthusiast I like old speakers and it’s fun to use them with different pieces of gear and hear what they sound like but if I were building a primary setup from scratch right now and I had the money to spend on nice new speakers I’d probably go with those, independent of how old the receiver was.

Its also worth noting that speaker voicing has changed as listening/design preferences, technology, and manufacturing methods change. So if your goal with the Pioneer is to have a “vintage sounding” system that sounds like it came out of a showroom in 1976, a vintage amp + vintage speakers will create that effect better than a vintage amp + new speakers. But new speakers might also “color” the sound less and let the Pioneer’s signature stand alone. So like do what you want.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm thinking about getting another turntable to stick under my TV for parties and stuff since my current one is a) not working and b) in the back where people won't be hanging out. Anyone have recommendations for something cheapish and with a low profile so I can slot it in my media center easily?

I am probably going to pick up one of those TE Ikea things but those don't come out until next year.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm thinking about getting another turntable to stick under my TV for parties and stuff since my current one is a) not working and b) in the back where people won't be hanging out. Anyone have recommendations for something cheapish and with a low profile so I can slot it in my media center easily?

I am probably going to pick up one of those TE Ikea things but those don't come out until next year.

Is used craigslist find off the table?
Do you need one with a built in phono stage or does your amp/preamp handle that?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is used craigslist find off the table?
Do you need one with a built in phono stage or does your amp/preamp handle that?

I was hoping to just order online I'm not really feeling the urge to hunt. I'd probably need to grab a little preamp before sending it to my receiver too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

I was hoping to just order online I'm not really feeling the urge to hunt. I'd probably need to grab a little preamp before sending it to my receiver too.

Stanton DJ turntables are usually cheap as gently caress (especially if you find one used) and they do the job. I think they have models with built in phono stages too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

You can customize a U-Turn Orbit to your liking for under $200 if you’re willing to forego things like a built-in pre and acrylic platter and choose an inexpensive cartridge. For around $350-$400ish you can get a nicely equipped table with a built in pre that competes with a ProJect costing almost twice that much (and it will probs hold its speed better har har har).

Also they make them in Woburn, MA out of like 90% US-sourced parts so you’d be supporting manufacturing in my area which is cool too.

Edit: But if what you want is a “dicking around” TT that can be easily picked up and moved around and used for parties without concern I might consider one of the entry level Audio Technica/Sony ‘plastic fantastic’ (ATLP-60, etc) tables that have spring-loaded tonearms. A bunch of them even have Bluetooth now.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 21, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I'll go with a basic rear end AT. Looks shorter than most and has a built in phono so it should be easy to tuck it away when it's not in use if it's too big to sit under my TV.

I just moved and have a bunch more space so I'm going to finally have to fix up my full analog setup that's been sitting around useless for a few years now. :negative:

E: those orbit are nice looking but maybe a bit out of my budget for something like this.

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 21, 2018

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

don't get a uturn unless you like humming over your music in my experience.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Basic preamp that I won't have to replace in a while/ever. Should I get a Schiit Mani and stop thinking about it, or is there something else more suitable/just as good but cheaper?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

dentist toy box posted:

don't get a uturn unless you like humming over your music in my experience.

Is this something common for them that the won't cover under the warranty? I'm leaning towards the orbit basic with built in preamp now since it fits the form factor I want and looks nice enough that I'd like it in my living room.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

Is this something common for them that the won't cover under the warranty? I'm leaning towards the orbit basic with built in preamp now since it fits the form factor I want and looks nice enough that I'd like it in my living room.

If this is for 'parties and stuff', I don't think you'll notice anything wrong with the uturn. Unless your parties are critical listening in a quiet room.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Stan Taylor posted:

I mean to be honest I'd give them a try despite my problems. their customer service is real friendly and understanding and the thing did sound great when it wasn't humming.

I tried all my other turntables on the setup and no problem, plugged the uturn into other amps and nothing changed so I sent it back. I think the main problem is doing the grounding thru the rca is what's loving it up and is dumb and stupid and they should just give you a ground wire.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

I mean to be honest I'd give them a try despite my problems. their customer service is real friendly and understanding and the thing did sound great when it wasn't humming.

I tried all my other turntables on the setup and no problem, plugged the uturn into other amps and nothing changed so I sent it back. I think the main problem is doing the grounding thru the rca is what's loving it up and is dumb and stupid and they should just give you a ground wire.

That stinks that you never found a solution. According to posts on other forums, there is (or there used to be) an attachable ground wire that could be requested from customer service, but I don’t know how true that is.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Pulled the trigger on the Orbit Basic. Thanks goons.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Stan Taylor posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Orbit Basic. Thanks goons.

Just make sure the tonearm is well grounded and I think you'll be alright.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I forgot I bookmarked this thread a long time ago and meant to post in it.

I don't do much streaming but was curious what you guys are using for lower priced DACs (around $300).

I'm running a Yamaha A-1000 integrated into a pair of B&W Matrix 804 at the moment. I've also got a B-2x/C-2x combo that I need to do a restore on since the pre is filled with bad solder joints and beat caps and the amp is just old and runs hot.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I pulled apart my technics sh8044 eq last night to clean all the dust and poo poo out of the band controls and it seems to have fixed the issue of it only outputting music to one channel intermittently and stopped the scratching sound when sliding the controls up and down :toot: looks way nicer too

kinda want to get myself a big old radio tuner now

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

link

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That guy's house is so barren, I thought you linked us to /r/blender.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Extremely cool setup but that chair is the worst thing I've ever seen. Why is it so far into the shot? Are they showing off their hideous chair as well?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Those gear/battlestation showoff pics are always so embarrassing. That one look almost ok except why bother when there's nothing else in the room. Reminds me of that guy on Reddit who like glued his ps4 to the wall and tried to make it look like a circuit board or something. Or the PCs mounted on a wall. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Those gear/battlestation showoff pics are always so embarrassing. That one look almost ok except why bother when there's nothing else in the room. Reminds me of that guy on Reddit who like glued his ps4 to the wall and tried to make it look like a circuit board or something. Or the PCs mounted on a wall. Yeesh.

lol what, this is nothing like that what are you talking about