Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vic posted:

It's some weird stockholm syndrome you and a bunch of others have with lovely and cheaply made electronics.

What a weird loving hill to die on screaming "This is the height of creation!"

The rest of the meltdown aside, this is real true and it’s not just goons.

I like buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Humerus posted:

Why do I need a hangup button when I'm watching YouTube?

Because you might receive a call in the middle of the video and want to hang up on it immediately.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Vic posted:

That said, it's so much cheaper to make a device with no buttons for the reasons you mentioned. It's not ambiguous - we can definitely make a normal phone that won't bend, be regular smartphone size, won't explode, have buttons. It would cost more to make such a phone, sure. But there's a large profit margin.
So buy a Blackberry.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

carry on then posted:

So buy a Blackberry.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/9/16996132/blackberry-motion-smartphone-review

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

There was a mass recall of phones that bent because people had it in their pockets. It was funny because bunch of nitwits gave other nitwits so much money they made a phone super thin because it looks good. Then there was a mass recall of phones that literally exploded due to lovely batteries. Same thing.

Those phones are mass produced poo poo products meant to be replaced therefore they cut corners (in the samsung case literally). It's a poo poo exploitative industry with lovely practices.

That said, it's so much cheaper to make a device with no buttons for the reasons you mentioned. It's not ambiguous - we can definitely make a normal phone that won't bend, be regular smartphone size, won't explode, have buttons. It would cost more to make such a phone, sure. But there's a large profit margin.

Now whether you're saying it ain't possible or that it's prohibitively expensive to make such a phone, I don't care. It's some weird stockholm syndrome you and a bunch of others have with lovely and cheaply made electronics.

What a weird loving hill to die on screaming "This is the height of creation!"

LOL if you really think modern phones are lovely quality. We're reaching peak phone where our pocket computers are powerful and sturdy enough to not need replacing every 2 years. The fewer moving parts the less problems.

I agree I'd like more buttons, but like...1 more button. Not an upchuck of inputs covering 70% of my phone's sides that'd I use maybe 1% of the time. Ooooh, a flashlight button instead of an swiping up and pressing the screen. Or an on/off button in the event I ever have to reboot my phone, except it's not 2009 and I almost never have to reboot my phone. If there's a credible need for a hardware button, it's usually already there - like using your volume button to take a photo when in camera mode.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pham Nuwen posted:

I like buttons

phone nipples

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Beggars can't be choosers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If they made phones maybe an inch thick, they could fit a full QWERTY board of mechanical keys right the way around and a 12000mah battery.

Heaven.

Thanks to Steve Jobs this glorious device everyone needs will never be realized.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Feb 11, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

LOL if you really think modern phones are lovely quality. We're reaching peak phone where our pocket computers are powerful and sturdy enough to not need replacing every 2 years. The fewer moving parts the less problems.

I agree I'd like more buttons, but like...1 more button. Not an upchuck of inputs covering 70% of my phone's sides that'd I use maybe 1% of the time. Ooooh, a flashlight button instead of an swiping up and pressing the screen. Or an on/off button in the event I ever have to reboot my phone, except it's not 2009 and I almost never have to reboot my phone. If there's a credible need for a hardware button, it's usually already there - like using your volume button to take a photo when in camera mode.

If it weren't for software bloat and loss of ability to read a SIM card, I'd still be using my keyboard phone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

If it weren't for software bloat and loss of ability to read a SIM card, I'd still be using my keyboard phone.

I regret never owning a Palm Pre with it's slide up keyboard.

I don't equate hardware keyboards with superfluous buttons because we type all the time and aside from losing screen real estate or making the phone significantly thicker, there aren't a lot of disadvantages to a real keyboard. There just aren't a whole of advantages either.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My last non-smartphone was a Samsung Propel, even my ogre fingers could work the tiny key buttons very easily. I miss it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm buying one of the resurrected Psion devices eventually. Shame the case isn't closer to the original but eh.

Psion devices were great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If they made phones maybe an inch thick, they could fit a full QWERTY board of mechanical keys right the way around and a 12000mah battery.

Heaven.

Thanks to Steve Jobs this glorious device everyone needs will never be realized.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm buying one of the resurrected Psion devices eventually. Shame the case isn't closer to the original but eh.

Psion devices were great.

I thought about preordering the kickstarter but I’m gonna wait and see if the Linux support is halfassed or decent (too many vendors poo poo out a forked Linux kernel and never, ever update)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wish someone could figure out a way to make something in that form factor that would run linux for $200 or less by repurposing smartphone parts or something, but I guess it's too much of a niche market.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Heaven.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes my devices thicc

like my personal laptop is a Sony Vaio that's suuuuuper thin, and I mean, I like it, but it just feels... flimsy, or like I'm going to break it or it'll bend or something.

My last job work laptop was a beast of a Lenovo, like three times as thick and twice as heavy as my Sony, and I loved it.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I had 2011 MacBook Pro. Although not that light, the keyboard was amazing. The new, thinner ones I like the design and lightness of, but the redesigned keyboard sucks rear end. Thinner is not always better. Couldn't care less about physical buttons on my phone though. Hang up while watching YouTube? Well, the button for that just showed up when the person called you. And you were watching the screen, probably...

And the n5x does mute the ring volume with the volume buttons - after a touch of the lock button to turn the screen on. I can see why, so it doesn't change sporadically in your pocket.

Shut the ring up but not hang up? A touch of volume down. I think phones have some of the best, and easiest to learn, context-sensitive UIs.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Just about every phone has some sort of USB/Lightning/Etc. connection.

Surprised there isn't a lot more companies or folks that are just trying to kickstart some custom iPhone cases that plug into that connector and essentially expand the size of the phone a cm or 2 in every direction and adds a handful of extra little buttons and doodads for ease of use.

I sort of said something similar about the first PS Vita, too: Some company should have just made a case that also connected into the proprietary connector on the device and acted as a built-in adapter to just let you charge directly with a Micro USB, instead.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JediTalentAgent posted:

Just about every phone has some sort of USB/Lightning/Etc. connection.

I would be surprised if the next iphone iteration had any holes at all, just charged through induction

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ladron posted:

I would be surprised if the next iphone iteration had any holes at all, just charged through induction

It's still going to have a Lightning connector. Apple's not going to lose out on all the money they get from licensing fees after all :v:

Protip actually that's why they got rid of the 3.5mm jack in the first place. Making the phone thinner was way far down the list, all they cared about was that now if folks want to make a peripheral for the iPhone (e.g. Square) they have to pony up the licensing fee to Apple because it's Lightning or nothing. Probably some techbro idiocy about supporting an ~obsolete hundred year old standard~ too.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ishikabibble posted:

It's still going to have a Lightning connector. Apple's not going to lose out on all the money they get from licensing fees after all :v:

what if they make some proprietary charging pad?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not require replacement every 2 years? I see no such trend. It's really more about software and planned/forced obsolescence. Just see the latest case with Apple slowing down phones.

I think it's going to take government / EU regulation until something happens with regards to the absurd planned obsolescence situation we're in now. Phones, tables, TVs and computers are tossed after a few years, because standards change and updates stop being released for older models. Why would any company budge and start being ethical?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ladron posted:

what if they make some proprietary charging pad?

That would do away with the need for any ports on the Macbook.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

spookygonk posted:

That would do away with the need for any ports on the Macbook.

I don't think so, being an actual computer it would have at least a usb port, so might as well have a charging port too

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ladron posted:

I don't think so, being an actual computer it would have at least a usb port, so might as well have a charging port too

Considering it's Apple, the wireless USB connector would just be a 90$ peripheral or something.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Serperoth posted:

Considering it's Apple, the wireless USB connector would just be a 90$ peripheral or something.

point remains, I think iphones will be entirely sealed and waterproof with no ports really soon

I am not a phone scientist, however

mystes
May 31, 2006

ladron posted:

point remains, I think iphones will be entirely sealed and waterproof with no ports really soon

I am not a phone scientist, however
That would presumably at least provide an actual advantage in terms of waterproofing, so in a way I think it would be more understandable than just removing the headphone jack.

They'd have to actually bundle bluetooth headphones with it though which might cut into AirPod sales.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

We had waterproof phones in the 90s what makes you think getting rid of all the ports and buttons is necessary?

It's really weird people would be arguing against functionality.

There's this weird "We're gonna show you the future" marketing campaign and people are buying it wholesale. It's bizzare.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"finding the one button out of dozens that answers the phone and remembering where it is is much easier than putting my thumb literally anywhere on the screen and sliding it in a particular direction. this is definitely nothing to do with me having grown accustomed to it and being unable to adapt to anything new"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Feb 11, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My mother can't make a call without glasses and you're strawmannig the poo poo out of this.

Imagine a crisis situation where you need to dial a number:
1) Press to turn on the screen
2) Swipe
3) Enter device lock code (optional)
4) Forums with this thread full of bad opinions is open, so I hit the home button
5) Press the phone key
6) Swipe left to get the keypad tab
7) Enter "mom" you want to call via tiny on screen text keyboard
8) Call

On an button phone

1) button unlock
2) device lock code
3) press 6 three times (spells mom)
4) call

Or you can have a shortcut which cuts the smartphone to 5 steps and the old phone to 3. Extra steps aside you need to look at your smartphone while I can do those 3 steps in my pocket in a few seconds. With my last button phone it was actually a matter of holding down a programmed number key and confirm with a call button.

And since I'm using a smartphone since they are available, it's not a situation of me not being used to touchscreens. Touchscreens are good for browsing the internet and all that poo poo, but it's actually worse when you want to use your phone as a phone. gently caress the blind I guess but this poo poo for brains crusade against having dedicated function on a dedicated device is mind boggling.

I guess you can still buy a lovely rear end old phone that'll last charged for weeks when I actually need a phone but I thought for $1k smartphone you'd get that in the package.

Fuckers you look at that and go "this literally doesn't need improvement"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pilsner posted:

Not require replacement every 2 years? I see no such trend. It's really more about software and planned/forced obsolescence. Just see the latest case with Apple slowing down phones.

I think it's going to take government / EU regulation until something happens with regards to the absurd planned obsolescence situation we're in now. Phones, tables, TVs and computers are tossed after a few years, because standards change and updates stop being released for older models. Why would any company budge and start being ethical?

The Apple thing was a bad mistake. I don't think they slowed phones down to get you to upgrade, but I think someone somewhere was aware that might be a collateral benefit and it's going to end up costing them a lot.

What I'm talking about is the lack of gotchas that make you have to upgrade while at the same time the hardware has advanced to the point where it's much more capable and reliable. The iPhone 2g was pointless after the 3g version came out. The 3g in turn didn't have a Retina screen. The 4 lacked a dual core processor and Siri. The 5 lacked a fingerprint reader. Those were all great reasons to upgrade your phone.

The 6 doesn't have ForceTouch. The 7 doesn't have wireless charging. Those are not compelling reasons to upgrade. So people will hold on to phones longer. The lack of moving parts (buttons, hinges) helps that along as well.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This feels like an argument with grandpa. Except I remember how difficult old people found phones to be back then. They'd sometimes die before they learned to make calls. 

E- I'm wrong, It is sad that devices for people with special needs (buttons everywhere, call centric) aren't more prestigious and priced accordingly tho. They're worth it too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Feb 11, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For telephony purposes, a flip phone is infinitely more usable than a touch-screen phone - especially if you have it in a folder-type protective case which, incidentally, is the only type of case that actually protects it fairly well. For other purposes who cares you loving nerds haha *leaves in a cloud of cinnamon-scented vapor*

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This feels like an argument with grandpa. Except I remember how difficult old people found phones to be back then. They'd sometimes die before they learned to make calls.

Special needs phones / dumbphones already exist. Expecting them for $1k is like expecting a Mercedes invalid carriage.

Ur a dumbphone

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Vic posted:

Ur a dumbphone

I'm a Nokia 8210

Dumb and old, as classy as the late 90s ever got, and loved by drug dealers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Feb 11, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

My mother can't make a call without glasses and you're strawmannig the poo poo out of this.

2) Swipe
4) Forums with this thread full of bad opinions is open, so I hit the home button
5) Press the phone key
8) Call

On an button phone

1) button unlock
2) device lock code
4) call

Or you can have a shortcut which cuts the smartphone to 5 steps and the old phone to 3. Extra steps aside you need to look at your smartphone while I can do those 3 steps in my pocket in a few seconds. With my last button phone it was actually a matter of holding down a programmed number key and confirm with a call button.

And since I'm using a smartphone since they are available, it's not a situation of me not being used to touchscreens. Touchscreens are good for browsing the internet and all that poo poo, but it's actually worse when you want to use your phone as a phone. gently caress the blind I guess but this poo poo for brains crusade against having dedicated function on a dedicated device is mind boggling.

I guess you can still buy a lovely rear end old phone that'll last charged for weeks when I actually need a phone but I thought for $1k smartphone you'd get that in the package.

Buy the loving blackberry and stop trying to mandate that everyone must use a phone designed to your personal specifications you dense motherfucker

https://www.blackberrymobile.com

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Vic posted:

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

2) Swipe
5) Press the phone key
8) Call

On an button phone

1) button unlock
2) device lock code
4) call

Ok Google, call Mom