Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
The audience reviews section on RT for Black Panther are something else.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018/reviews/?type=user

My favourite is this

This movie was an awful attempt to push the lefts agenda of that African Americans are the only good functioning people of society and that they are superior to whites and that they have focused way to hard on the whole race thing. When focusing so much on politics it really gets in the way of me enjoying this movie, if it wasn't so focused on this I would've loved it.

or this

Not interested. I fully expect it to be super saturated with social justice including explicit anti-white and anti-police themes. (With 36 pages of mostly 'not interested' user ratings, the 95% 'want to see' overall tomatometer user rating is highly suspect.)

Anti-Police !!!

lomzus fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Black Panther is a huge deal the same way Wonder Woman was a huge deal, in the sense that it's not really at all because it's just a mediocre popcorn movie that no one except internet grognards will remember 5 years from now

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Black Panther is a huge deal the same way Wonder Woman was a huge deal, in the sense that it's not really at all because it's just a mediocre popcorn movie that no one except internet grognards will remember 5 years from now

The post of a white man threatened by Michael B Jordan's weaponized attractiveness.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hey man i'm gonna go see it, the trailer is awesome

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

The post of a white man threatened by Michael B Jordan's weaponized attractiveness.

I mean, he's probably not wrong. It's great that WW and BP focus on two demographics that don't usually get represented, and that they feel these movies are something special is enough to actually make these special, but from a cinematic point of view WW at least (and I suspect BP) was a competantly made superhero movie, but not extraordinary in any way.

IMO of course.

I will say though, i am thrilled that BP continues the superhero trend of having insanely hot eyecandy (hulk, arrowman and quicksilver notwithstanding)

Edit: It's actually insane how attractive most actors in these superhero flicks are, something I hadn't considered before.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ojjeorago posted:

Kevin Smith?

:golfclap:

I appreciate this one.

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Hey! I'm not threatened by the attractiveness of him! I'm confused. And questioning. And lonely. And thinking he'll make it all alright.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 11, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Nah black folks are excited for this. It's a huge deal in my film circles as well because the cast and crew is majority black and it's hard for black people to find work in this industry that isn't a Tyler Perry gig. It will be remembered for that alone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

Nah black folks are excited for this. It's a huge deal in my film circles as well because the cast and crew is majority black and it's hard for black people to find work in this industry that isn't a Tyler Perry gig. It will be remembered for that alone.

People are gonna be talking about MBJs hair for like 20 years. The wars it caused, the number of suddenly gay men, the general effect it has on society.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Zzulu posted:

"Popcorn" movies are the ones everybody sees, I'd say they're more culturally significant than deep art house films. I don't want to cut down dudes like Spike Lee who have been making great black movies for decades but Black Panther is what everyone is excited about.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Superheroes have been mainstream pop culture for decades now. It seems silly to be in year 10 of Marvel's Wild Ride and still think it's a passing fad or that this here superhero nonsense is gonna fall off in the next year. People are going to remember Black Panther and Wonder Woman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lomzus posted:

My favourite is this

This movie was an awful attempt to push the lefts agenda of that African Americans are the only good functioning people of society and that they are superior to whites and that they have focused way to hard on the whole race thing. When focusing so much on politics it really gets in the way of me enjoying this movie, if it wasn't so focused on this I would've loved it.

or this

Not interested. I fully expect it to be super saturated with social justice including explicit anti-white and anti-police themes. (With 36 pages of mostly 'not interested' user ratings, the 95% 'want to see' overall tomatometer user rating is highly suspect.)

Anti-Police !!!

A cool review site that lets people submit reviews that outright state they have not seen the film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

A cool review site that lets people submit reviews that outright state they have not seen the film.

I believe several were posted on the page for The Shape of Water by mistake.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Superheroes have been mainstream pop culture for decades now. It seems silly to be in year 10 of Marvel's Wild Ride and still think it's a passing fad or that this here superhero nonsense is gonna fall off in the next year. People are going to remember Black Panther and Wonder Woman.

Agreed, people still talk about Batman Forever and Superman III and stuff. And especially now we have retrospectives on youtube, home media, and forums like this one, none of this stuff is ever going to go away. It will be with us until the sun explodes, and probably beyond that when alien races find the remnants of our destroyed earth and manage to find a pristine copy of Blade preserved in the dust, upon which they shall base their entire society.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
alien civilizations will forever war over what Blade meant when he said "some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill" ate that particular moment.

EDIT: also holy poo poo that movie is now 20 years old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not especially difficult to skate uphill.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crossposting from the Black twitter & Vine thread.:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has there ever been a film with this size budget and a 99% black cast? That’s why it’s a big deal.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has there ever been a film with this size budget and a 99% black cast? That’s why it’s a big deal.

Red Tails? Which iirc George Lucas had to fight to get made. I legit have a Red Tails poster in my room because teenage me liked hot dudes it was awesome to see a black cast outside of an movie were Eddie Murphy played all the characters.

Don't forget the unapologetically black marketing campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKnmVqCFO4

I've never seen toys marketed to black kids like this before.

BP is a cultural phenomenon. People are buying tickets for entire classes, getting dressed to the 9s and getting our hair did. It will be remembered. Look how happy these kids are to go see this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MSreUijCg

:3:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Red Tails had a $50 mil budget, which seems pretty low for something that had to do flying and combat scenes I would imagine.

There has never been a predominantly (forget even nearly entirely) black movie with a $200 million budget before, or anywhere close.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Red Tails had a $50 mil budget, which seems pretty low for something that had to do flying and combat scenes I would imagine.

There has never been a predominantly (forget even nearly entirely) black movie with a $200 million budget before, or anywhere close.

Ah that makes sense. I know that was a passion project for George and he fought hard to get it made. I'm not surprised they refused to give him more money.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

lomzus posted:

My favourite is this

or this

Anti-Police !!!

He does raise a good point. It's about time we got a superhero movie with explicit anti-police themes in it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Well, maybe not Wonder Woman.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

Even if it was only half black I would still be impressed. Imagine if it came out in the 80s or 90s, T'Challa would be the only black person in the main cast and it would take place in America.
Except for his love interest, she'd be black too because, well, you know.... something something "jungle fever".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Koalas March posted:

Ah that makes sense. I know that was a passion project for George and he fought hard to get it made. I'm not surprised they refused to give him more money.

Lucas actually paid the production costs out of his own pocket, including another $35 million for distribution. The guy was really committed to making that film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lucas actually paid the production costs out of his own pocket, including another $35 million for distribution. The guy was really committed to making that film.

Too bad it was terrible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Even if it was only half black I would still be impressed. Imagine if it came out in the 80s or 90s, T'Challa would be the only black person in the main cast and it would take place in America.
Except for his love interest, she'd be black too because, well, you know.... something something "jungle fever".

Hell, even these days Marvel probably could have "played it safe" and done a Black Panther movie that didn't extensively showcase Wakanda as the primary setting and didn't feature a 95% black cast and crew and a lot of people would still have thought "eh, I guess it's good enough even if it's not as ambitious as it could be."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The only evidence I need that there is something important and special about this movie at this moment in time is how many other white people seem compelled to loudly yell about how, sight unseen, there's nothing special or important about it and black people should calm down

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The only evidence I need that there is something important and special about this movie at this moment in time is how many other white people seem compelled to loudly yell about how, sight unseen, there's nothing special or important about it and black people should calm down

I'm just blown away by how embarassed i am to be a white comic book fan because of the reaction to this film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

White people are lame

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

White people are lame

I mean, have you heard our music and seen us dance?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Well, maybe not Wonder Woman.

They may not remember the details of the movie (I already sorta don't) but they'll remember that Wonder Woman had a movie that everyone liked at the time. Especially since Gal Gadot is one of the very few consistently good things in the DCEU.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's, y'know, also gonna be sequels coming out for both these films in a couple years so after that we have to reset our five-year counter again for when those films are gonna be forgotten too!

The bubble is about to burst I can just feel it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's what people are talking about when they say these films aren't for "us", though. Maybe in 5 minutes BP won't be firmly entrenched in the minds of a bunch of 20-40 years old white guys, but the black 12 year old who goes to see it? He's going to remember this for a long time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/950819119787540480

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We make great music! We just stole it from black people!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone with a crush on MBJ needs to check out Creed.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone who wants an example of terrible white people music needs to check out Creed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

It’s such a fantastic movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone should just check out Creed!

MBJ is gonna have the honor of being in one of the worst and one of the best comic book films in the history of the medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should just check out Creed!

MBJ is gonna have the honor of being in one of the worst and one of the best comic book films in the history of the medium.

Ah, the Chris Evans Society

• Locked thread