Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

ahhhhh this made me so angry gently caress. going from the back to the hand was mostly luck. going from the arm to the other hand you can actually let go and rest on the armour for a split second before jumping which helps a lot

I'm actually having the opposite problem. He always jumps from the back to the hand no problem, but will absolutely not jump from the shoulder to the hand (I know I said hand to hand). Like, he will just not reach out and grab it. I've made it to the hand a couple of times out of sheer luck and button mashing, but I just fall off because it takes so many tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

I'm actually having the opposite problem. He always jumps from the back to the hand no problem, but will absolutely not jump from the shoulder to the hand (I know I said hand to hand). Like, he will just not reach out and grab it. I've made it to the hand a couple of times out of sheer luck and button mashing, but I just fall off because it takes so many tries.

Shoot his shoulder with the bow

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Shoot his shoulder with the bow

I'll try that. Does it telegraph the hand grab to a place I can actually jump from?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

veni veni veni posted:

I'll try that. Does it telegraph the hand grab to a place I can actually jump from?

When you jump on his second hand, stab it with your sword. His arm will level out and you'll get a clear shot at his shoulder weakpoint, giving you a very easy jump to his head.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

When you jump on his second hand, stab it with your sword. His arm will level out and you'll get a clear shot at his shoulder weakpoint, giving you a very easy jump to his head.

It's the jump before. Back to hand, no problem. crawl up to bicep/shoulder no problem, second hand comes down and he just bounces around and won't jump to it. Like, he just will not reach out and jump to the next spot. I must have tried it 50 times before I gave up.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 11, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IIRC you have to release your grip as you jump and move your stick relative to the camera rather than Wander himself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the game seems to really want to do the normal jumping while grabbing (just moving a tiny bit further up where you already were) thing at that part instead of actually having you jump over. All I can recommend is finding a spot where you can stop grabbing and then jump. It’s the only way I got it to work for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Breath of the Wild owes a lot to SOTC imo. Very different games but the inspiration is everywhere.

Well, to be fair, SOTC was originally pretty indebted to the Zelda series even if it's 1000 times better.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, to be fair, SOTC was originally pretty indebted to the Zelda series even if it's 1000 times better.

Ergo SOTC2 will be really fuckin good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This is the grossest thing I've ever read in the internet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Uuuuuuuh, because they both have a sword and a horse? I guess I could see some cyclical influence but I don’t see too much Ocarina of Time in SotC

SotC impact was felt through all of prestige gaming. SotC ushered in an era of 3rd person action-adventure games across all platforms becoming the de facto forum for ‘prestige gaming’. It showed all of gaming that even a completely silent protagonist you can see is better for emotionally resonant moments than a talking character you play as in First-Person.

SotC also ushered in the next generation of open worlds. Before SotC, GTA: Vice City//SA were the open-world games on your PS2, with Elder Scrolls games clumsily doing their own thing. Just a few short years after SotC, we have wave after wave of 3rd person open world games, we see leaks for Assassin’s Creed and Crackdown.

Yeah and straight up the guy who directed Dark Souls was like “this is so hauntingly beautiful I have to dedicate my life to this”. Of my first favorite video game had never existed, Bloodborne wouldn’t exist.

SotC is like Buddy Guy (for music buffs), not everyone who loves Guitar knows who Buddy Guy is, but every musician you love probably loves Buddy Guy and has all his music. That’s SotC, and anyone dumb enough to try and criticize SotC usually gets blown out of any forum they are in, the game is truly a masterpiece.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Finally out of pittsburgh thank gently caress

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Uuuuuuuh, because they both have a sword and a horse? I guess I could see some cyclical influence but I don’t see too much Ocarina of Time in SotC

SotC impact was felt through all of prestige gaming. SotC ushered in an era of 3rd person action-adventure games across all platforms becoming the de facto forum for ‘prestige gaming’. It showed all of gaming that even a completely silent protagonist you can see is better for emotionally resonant moments than a talking character you play as in First-Person.

SotC also ushered in the next generation of open worlds. Before SotC, GTA: Vice City//SA were the open-world games on your PS2, with Elder Scrolls games clumsily doing their own thing. Just a few short years after SotC, we have wave after wave of 3rd person open world games, we see leaks for Assassin’s Creed and Crackdown.

Yeah and straight up the guy who directed Dark Souls was like “this is so hauntingly beautiful I have to dedicate my life to this”. Of my first favorite video game had never existed, Bloodborne wouldn’t exist.

SotC is like Buddy Guy (for music buffs), not everyone who loves Guitar knows who Buddy Guy is, but every musician you love probably loves Buddy Guy and has all his music. That’s SotC, and anyone dumb enough to try and criticize SotC usually gets blown out of any forum they are in, the game is truly a masterpiece.

While it's undeniable that SotC's influence is far-reaching across developers I think certain elements are emulated more often than others, and these tend to be the aesthetics, continuity of the world, and scale of combat. Less emphasized is the simplicity of design, immersive gameplay, and purely environmental storytelling. What most resonates with me about SotC is the singular experience it provides, its rejection of video gameyness by telling you almost nothing about how to play or interpret it, and how in the absence of these markers the player forms their own unique connection to the story. There are very few high-profile releases of note where you just... play the game and that's it. No mini-games, no skill trees or inventories, no gacha or lootboxes, no cluttered UIs, just nothing getting in the way of you and the game itself. When I said "I wish SotC was more influential" what I really meant was "I wish there were more games that rejected gameyness and just did their thing."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Finally out of pittsburgh thank gently caress

Just wait. Not too long before you get the grenade launcher and have to flee from the roiling wave of zombies pouring out of every building like water.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I finally decided to go back and play SotC on PS3 since I never played it past the first colossus. I just finished the 3rd colossus and man these controls and camera are annoying as hell! Is everything smoother on the PS4 version, less jittery?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

I finally decided to go back and play SotC on PS3 since I never played it past the first colossus. I just finished the 3rd colossus and man these controls and camera are annoying as hell! Is everything smoother on the PS4 version, less jittery?

The PS3 version is a bad port, get the PS4 one because it's rebuilt from scratch.. The PS3 port is an uprez of the PS2 version, and a lot of code is broken because it's all based on frame-timing, and the timing just won't match up on the PS3 version due to the stable (ie; faster) framerate.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PS3 version is a bad port, get the PS4 one because it's rebuilt from scratch.. The PS3 port is an uprez of the PS2 version, and a lot of code is broken because it's all based on frame-timing, and the timing just won't match up on the PS3 version due to the stable (ie; faster) framerate.

Awesome, that's good to hear. The game concept and design is amazing, I just couldn't get past the horrible frame-rate on the PS2 version, and then the clunky controls on the PS3 version had me worried that I'd never be able to fully enjoy the game.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

veni veni veni posted:

Is there some consistent way to jump from one hand to the other on be last colossus because what. The. gently caress

Stab his back and he’ll lower his right hand and u can just jump directly onto that

Wendell
May 11, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Awesome, that's good to hear. The game concept and design is amazing, I just couldn't get past the horrible frame-rate on the PS2 version, and then the clunky controls on the PS3 version had me worried that I'd never be able to fully enjoy the game.

And to think, you only had to buy the same game three times in order to possibly enjoy it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think I had ever heard the term “frame rate “ when the game came out and I first played it. It was easily the most beautiful game I had ever played at the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think I had ever heard the term “frame rate “ when the game came out and I first played it. It was easily the most beautiful game I had ever played at the time.

Judging by this, I'm fairly certain people were talking about frame rates of games years before you were born. (Nothing wrong with being young, I was almost young once.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Were you really young or something?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shortly after the PS2 era ended I started getting way more into PC gaming and the very concept of 60fps blew my 20 y/o mind at the time. If you came exclusively from that console generation then you were probably a lot more tolerant of low frame rates since there was no expected 30fps standard like there is today.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The other thing you miss out on just watching youtubes of SotC is how it would make your PS2 sound like it was about to explode trying to read so much awesomeness at once.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat this winter bit does not gently caress around

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bust Rodd posted:

I only picked up a PS2 copy a couple years ago and played for the first time, so that may also change how I look at the game versus back when it was released.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

I wish SotC was more influential tbqh.

I wish God Hand had any influence at all. That game was a masterpiece. :(

fridge corn posted:

drat this winter bit does not gently caress around

It loving doesn't, that entire bit is savage as hell.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Most 8-bit and 16-bit games ran at 60fps.

Then Starfox ruined everything

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samuringa posted:

God Hand makes me angrysad because I don't care for the game-play at all but then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRLZQoAnnGE

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Samuringa posted:

It loving doesn't, that entire bit is savage as hell.

Take a look at the new fist of the North Star game coming out. There are definitely a few nods to Godhand in it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
God Hand was the First Of The North Star game :argh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cant' someone make a God Hand only it's a turn-based game instead of real-time?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried to play God Hand recently and couldn't beat the first stage

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Sakurazuka posted:

I did the same thing with Bloodborne and I beat the poo poo out of Godhand

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they're very different games

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Manatee Cannon posted:

they're very different games

Yes, one allows for constant attacking and customization and one's bloodborne

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I think I got to the second stage but same. I am terrible at it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I honestly can not explain what happened between me and God Hand. I got it right when it came out and begrudgingly played it until the second boss or so and shelved it.

Years later, I tried it again on a whim and everything just clicked. It was all cohesive, fluid, not simple but still doable and incredibly satisfying. I played it like crazy for a couple of days, beat it, and immediately began it again on Hard mode. It was incredible.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

exquisite tea posted:

While it's undeniable that SotC's influence is far-reaching across developers I think certain elements are emulated more often than others, and these tend to be the aesthetics, continuity of the world, and scale of combat. Less emphasized is the simplicity of design, immersive gameplay, and purely environmental storytelling. What most resonates with me about SotC is the singular experience it provides, its rejection of video gameyness by telling you almost nothing about how to play or interpret it, and how in the absence of these markers the player forms their own unique connection to the story. There are very few high-profile releases of note where you just... play the game and that's it. No mini-games, no skill trees or inventories, no gacha or lootboxes, no cluttered UIs, just nothing getting in the way of you and the game itself. When I said "I wish SotC was more influential" what I really meant was "I wish there were more games that rejected gameyness and just did their thing."

I really feel like Journey and Abzu crib the most from SotC in its simplicity and environmental storytelling while eschewing the gameyness also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ist there a far cry thread somewhere?