Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Haifisch posted:

And it still doesn't necessarily make sense. Business is rife with people measuring stupid metrics thinking it'll improve things, and 99% of the time those metrics are mysteriously the only thing that improves, while the business as a whole performs the same(or worse) as before.

Of course, oftentimes the things that really would improve performance(better staffing, treating staff better so they're more motivated, properly funding 'cost center' departments like IT, etc) are hard to quanitify, so managers only see how much they cost and are eager to cut them to the bone if they get a chance.

There's no space for empathy in a system where the only thing that matters is the numbers changing in a way that suits you right at this second - later, you can act bewildered when the numbers get worse for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest problem is that cutting IT, training, and employee wages to the bone leads to a jump in profits right now. It causes massive damage in the long term but by that point the person who made the decision will be off to pillage another company or in a position to pass the blame onto somebody else. Same goes for making the product smaller or shittier; it leads to increased profits this quarter. It makes for better numbers and fat executive bonuses in the short term. The various stakeholders, shareholders, and investors want numbers right god damned now rather than a decade from now. It's all about making this quarter's numbers better than last quarter's numbers at all costs even if that cost is that the company burns down in two years.

Seems like something that happens when you have a huge glut of folks retiring who need those returns to not starve because they messed up their exit strategy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure the main purpose of Silicon Valley right now is scamming investors. How many startups just plain plan on not being profitable, getting venture capital, then selling to another company? So many of them seem to just not care about making actual traditional profit.
I see the people running the startups and the investors as basically part of the same system. Silicon Valley exists because of an ocean of liquid capital that was accumulated over the 20th century by corporations pillaging less developed countries as well as their own.

We're in the economic equivalent of that period in the 50s-70s when the U.S. and U.S.S.R. were wasting money on crazy poo poo like psi research. A million dollars was a drop in the defense budget bucket, and hey, if it turns out this poo poo works, it would be a world changing advantage. That's the same thinking at work here--Uber is a gargantuan absurdity by common-sense metrics, but what if their plan works, and their money-losing national taxi chain transforms into a network of driverless cars? You can't afford not to invest on the off chance that it works, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to deliver pizzas for a local place in Denver whose STEMlord general manager recorded data on our delivery times and other metrics. After six weeks, the only shifts I ever got were the on-call shifts because I was apparently really good at making deliveries from 6 pm to 9 pm in the middle of the week. At first it sounded like they were just trying to get rid of me until I saw the spreadsheet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Star Man posted:

I used to deliver pizzas for a local place in Denver whose STEMlord general manager recorded data on our delivery times and other metrics. After six weeks, the only shifts I ever got were the on-call shifts because I was apparently really good at making deliveries from 6 pm to 9 pm in the middle of the week. At first it sounded like they were just trying to get rid of me until I saw the spreadsheet.

I'd lay actual money down that his spreadsheet didn't give any consideration to traffic patterns or ordering patterns, because confounding factors are outside the breadth of that kind of world view.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd lay actual money down that his spreadsheet didn't give any consideration to traffic patterns or ordering patterns, because confounding factors are outside the breadth of that kind of world view.

Obviously.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

You should probably focus on the job being poo poo and not complain that a frankly above-average benefits package exists for entry-level work that pays 200% of retail.

"Walmart offers me a 401K! Fuckin' horrible!"

Because I've got some bad news for you, company tuition programs always have strings attached.

Oh boy twice minimum wage?! Golly, I've made it now! And I get to put money into a system that may or may not return anything? Like gambling except it's legal everywhere? So cool!

Maybe you shouldn't pump it up as a good thing if it's completely worthless except in extremely specific situations then.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ryonguy posted:

Oh boy twice minimum wage?! Golly, I've made it now! And I get to put money into a system that may or may not return anything? Like gambling except it's legal everywhere? So cool!

Maybe you shouldn't pump it up as a good thing if it's completely worthless except in extremely specific situations then.

This is one of the dumber posts I’ll read today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How many startups just plain plan on not being profitable, getting venture capital, then selling to another company? So many of them seem to just not care about making actual traditional profit.

Not sure why you think this isn't a valid exit strategy and a good way to make money for both the founders and investors. Plenty of larger companies simply suck at innovating and prefer/need to acquire technology or teams (acqui-hire). This happens all the time and everyone makes money when it is done successfully.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest problem is that cutting IT, training, and employee wages to the bone leads to a jump in profits right now. It causes massive damage in the long term but by that point the person who made the decision will be off to pillage another company or in a position to pass the blame onto somebody else. Same goes for making the product smaller or shittier; it leads to increased profits this quarter. It makes for better numbers and fat executive bonuses in the short term. The various stakeholders, shareholders, and investors want numbers right god damned now rather than a decade from now. It's all about making this quarter's numbers better than last quarter's numbers at all costs even if that cost is that the company burns down in two years.

Capitalism is very efficient :agesilaus:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Honestly we should all be really grateful, corporations have no obligation to give us free cake on the sixth Wednesday of every month. Honestly, how can you possibly criticize free cake? ON A WEDNESDAY?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Also it is really poor form to be critical of anything Amazon does because they are (probably) not a sludge factory paying you in human urine which is clearly worse.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Perhaps somewhat relevant to the thread, LL Bean is no longer doing the free lifetime returns thing:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/09/584493046/l-l-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Motronic posted:

Not sure why you think this isn't a valid exit strategy and a good way to make money for both the founders and investors. Plenty of larger companies simply suck at innovating and prefer/need to acquire technology or teams (acqui-hire). This happens all the time and everyone makes money when it is done successfully.

Yeah wow who are we to criticize this thing that makes some people money and fucks over all the little people who put in the actual work to make it happen???

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

archangelwar posted:

Also it is really poor form to be critical of anything Amazon does because they are (probably) not a sludge factory paying you in human urine which is clearly worse.

Actually I've been to an Amazon warehouse and I've got some bad news for you

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

DrNutt posted:

Yeah wow who are we to criticize this thing that makes some people money and fucks over all the little people who put in the actual work to make it happen???

I know a person on Facebook who has a complete and total hard on for startups and entrepreneur culture, she works for some kind of weird cult-like incubator in Florida. It’s very creepy how singularly RAH RAH OPPORTUNITY MAKE IT HAPPEN CAPITALISM RAH these folks are to being 100% blind or indifferent about anything that doesn’t work to the benefit of the investor class.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Wait, what? Are you serious? Everybody working there gets equity in startups like that. That's a core part of the recruiting model.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Welp, think my local mall may be done. It's already a third empty with Sears amd Kohls as anchors. They underwent a huge renovation two years ago to try and stay relevant, putting in a brewpub/theatre on the second floor and a bunch of new shops below it.

So of course the pub blew a water main this weekend. All those new shops below it have a foot of standing water, and the mall is closed while they try to figure out a cleanup plan so even the businesses in the unaffected wings are losing revenue.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Welp, think my local mall may be done. It's already a third empty with Sears amd Kohls as anchors. They underwent a huge renovation two years ago to try and stay relevant, putting in a brewpub/theatre on the second floor and a bunch of new shops below it.

So of course the pub blew a water main this weekend. All those new shops below it have a foot of standing water, and the mall is closed while they try to figure out a cleanup plan so even the businesses in the unaffected wings are losing revenue.

Merle Hay?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Merle Hay?

Yeah. Whole lower level court they just started getting stores to move back into is wet.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. Whole lower level court they just started getting stores to move back into is wet.

Sad. I used to hang out there when they had the weird naked angel on a tricycle statue.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I love that thing, and would never believe it existed if I hadn't seen it in person.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Perhaps somewhat relevant to the thread, LL Bean is no longer doing the free lifetime returns thing:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/09/584493046/l-l-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

Terrible people trying to get freebies from a company that was trying to do right by their customer base.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pretty sure that policy was changed due to my old roommate

He would go to yard sales and get stuff replaced at ll bean, and then he would get his worn out boots replaced all with no proof of purchase.

He was kind of a dick

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm guessing it's more L.L Bean being hit by the same forces as every other clothing retailer right now. Even at its worst, I can't imagine all that many people would go to the effort of returning things / hunting for L.L Bean freebies to really impact their bottom line if they weren't already struggling. I'm not basing that on anything, though--just thinking about the amount of effort required vs general laziness of people.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The amount of Christmas trees returned in January would suggest otherwise.

EU law says you get to return goods “within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification.” Imagine how well that works out for the retail industry here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Anyone can shoplift trivially easy. I never really buy that any elaborate round about way to kinda sorta steal things ever is going to be a significant in a world people can just shove things in their pockets then say "no" when the guy at the door asks to look in their pockets.

All stores are already just trusting people to be honorable, weird schemes are never going to impact anything as much as people just stealing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sundae posted:

I'm guessing it's more L.L Bean being hit by the same forces as every other clothing retailer right now. Even at its worst, I can't imagine all that many people would go to the effort of returning things / hunting for L.L Bean freebies to really impact their bottom line if they weren't already struggling. I'm not basing that on anything, though--just thinking about the amount of effort required vs general laziness of people.

It might be an aspect of the democratization of the brand. LL Bean used to be a "privileged folks only" seller -- the target market was preppy as hell, traditionally, people who could afford to pay premium prices for long-term-durable goods, but also wealthy enough to not have any reason to take advantage of a warranty over something as small-dollar as a clothing return. It's only in the past few years / decade (with online sales etc) that L.L. Bean has started selling to a more mainstream market. So once people who weren't privileged became aware of the brand . . .

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Sundae posted:

The people I went to elementary school and high school with were never THAT bad, but they would often send back worn-out bookbags that were just worn out, make up a story about how they were somehow defective, and then get a new one in exchange. One bookbag purchase would turn into 2-4 new bookbags over a couple of years.

It was an awesome set up, but I don't think it takes that much bad faith abuse of that mechanism before it becomes a major problem.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It might be an aspect of the democratization of the brand. LL Bean used to be a "privileged folks only" seller -- the target market was preppy as hell, traditionally,

Traditionally LL bean sold like actual outdoorwear. Like half their store space is shotguns and fishing rods. Being a fashion brand was a super short lived thing for them in a super small window where "dress like a mountain man" got mainstream popular. They have always been about selling camping gear then a pair of clothes you could actually camp in while you pick up steeltoed boots for work.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Brony Car posted:

The people I went to elementary school and high school with were never THAT bad, but they would often send back worn-out bookbags that were just worn out, make up a story about how they were somehow defective, and then get a new one in exchange. One bookbag purchase would turn into 2-4 new bookbags over a couple of years.

It was an awesome set up, but I don't think it takes that much bad faith abuse of that mechanism before it becomes a major problem.

Fair enough. I had one of their backpacks from middle school through the end of college and it just never occurred to me to try to return a perfectly good backpack just because I'd worn it out after god knows how long.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I get the feeling you don't go to LL Bean often. They are mostly fashion/upscale home lifestyle products. They do sell coats and footwear, but most of their floorspace is dedicated to non outdoors goods.

The Freeport store sells guns still but that is a fairly small department.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It might be an aspect of the democratization of the brand. LL Bean used to be a "privileged folks only" seller -- the target market was preppy as hell, traditionally, people who could afford to pay premium prices for long-term-durable goods, but also wealthy enough to not have any reason to take advantage of a warranty over something as small-dollar as a clothing return.

So like how Rolls-Royce used to have a thing about "defective parts will be replaced for free at any time" on all their products? While obviously intended for the whole "you've spent $3 million on a custom car, sure we'll replace a $300 part" thing, supposedly they held to it for everything they built up to a point, and someone was able to get free engine replacement for the Rolls-Royce engine in their P-51 Mustang in the 60s, the pilot having bought it off military surplus years prior.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fishmech posted:

So like how Rolls-Royce used to have a thing about "defective parts will be replaced for free at any time" on all their products? While obviously intended for the whole "you've spent $3 million on a custom car, sure we'll replace a $300 part" thing, supposedly they held to it for everything they built up to a point, and someone was able to get free engine replacement for the Rolls-Royce engine in their P-51 Mustang in the 60s, the pilot having bought it off military surplus years prior.

Yeah, basically.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Traditionally LL bean sold like actual outdoorwear. Like half their store space is shotguns and fishing rods. Being a fashion brand was a super short lived thing for them in a super small window where "dress like a mountain man" got mainstream popular. They have always been about selling camping gear then a pair of clothes you could actually camp in while you pick up steeltoed boots for work.

That's true, but they also sold a certain amount of general clothing too -- outerwear and camping gear yes, but aimed at the elite who could afford to purchase long-lasting, durable, quality stuff.

See, e.g., L.L. Bean's frequent mentions in "The Official Preppy Handbook":

http://jakedavis.typepad.com/jakedavis/2009/12/the-evolution-of-style-prep-persona-15.html

Long before L.L. Bean got mainstream attention as a fashion line, they were one of the go-to clothiers of the WASP elite, like Brooks Brothers for the outdoors.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I still have a LL Bean backpack my parents bought me for middle school. I mean, my wife uses it for something, or my brother does...the only reason I replaced it was that backpacks from the 90s weren't built to hold laptops. The only thing that was ever wrong with it is that some stitching would come loose around the zipper, and loose threads would get caught in it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Halloween Jack posted:

I still have a LL Bean backpack my parents bought me for middle school. I mean, my wife uses it for something, or my brother does...the only reason I replaced it was that backpacks from the 90s weren't built to hold laptops. The only thing that was ever wrong with it is that some stitching would come loose around the zipper, and loose threads would get caught in it.

Yup, I have LL Bean raincoat from the 60's somewhere (edit: it's older than I am at least, and I think about that old). I don't use it often but it's still serviceable; the zipper's come loose but it had metal snaps too so that's just an inconvenience.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

The amount of Christmas trees returned in January would suggest otherwise.

EU law says you get to return goods “within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification.” Imagine how well that works out for the retail industry here.

No, EU law doesn't state that for retail. Retail doesn't have to take anything back (except for stuff that is defective after not being able to repair it). That's for online shopping, and even then wouldn't apply to stuff like Christmas trees.

Why is it always people from the UK that are hilariously misinformed about EU law?

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I get the feeling you don't go to LL Bean often. They are mostly fashion/upscale home lifestyle products. They do sell coats and footwear, but most of their floorspace is dedicated to non outdoors goods.

The freeport store has such a big fishing department that they have actual literal fish living in the store.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've actually never been into one. I ordered the backpack from their catalog, back when they didn't have a website yet. That's how long the backpack lasted. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fame Douglas posted:

Why is it always people from the UK that are hilariously misinformed about EU law?

You don't say...