Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I hear that its (the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor) USB-C/Tbolt ports suck poo poo though, only good for video, not good as a hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MrBond posted:

The LG 5K is expensive but pretty great once you have it.

Did they ever fix the thing where it wouldn’t work if it was too close to your router or whatever

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Weedle posted:

Did they ever fix the thing where it wouldn’t work if it was too close to your router or whatever
Yeah like a month later.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
What's the cheapest way to get HDMI out of a 2017 Macbook Pro?

Something like this? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-C-T...RiWnId2Alvd6JxQ

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 7, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edit: oops for some reason i thought u said an older imac

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KingEup posted:

What's the cheapest way to get HDMI out of a 2017 Macbook Pro?

Something like this? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3in1-US...IcAAOSwU91acA5k

yes, that would work. we use a couple of those at my office

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a faster standard than 802.11ac now? Wouldn’t your internet service have to be very very good to benefit from it?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

brap posted:

Is there a faster standard than 802.11ac now? Wouldn’t your internet service have to be very very good to benefit from it?

802.11ax is the new hotness but you're right in that you'd need faster internet to really saturate it. One of the Asus routers designed to support it and has a maximum ~theoretical~ output of nearly 6Gbps.

IMO the pursuit of ultimate speed for home WiFi is futile because most appliances rarely saturate it. Most use cases only need a sustained connection speed of 10-50Mbps, which you'll get out of ac. I'd rather have a router that genuinely provided ~80Mbps speeds throughout my house, to multiple devices. (But basically wireless is some voodoo poo poo. My router in the next room is 15ft away and I can only get 20Mbps network speeds, which translates to about 12Mbps in the real world)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There are no 802.11 ax clients though. Hell its hard to find any client device with triple chain AC 5Ghz as it is!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Time Capsule gives me ~800mbps (negotiated, not actual) over 802.11ac, but that's enough to max out my 250mbit Internet connection and allows me to easily stream 1080p 60fps games from my Windows PC two rooms away with no noticeable latency. Considering 60GHz ad can barely penetrate tissue paper and no one is using 802.11ax I'm not sure what Apple could realistically do better for the average consumer on the wireless front.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Will we ever see 120hz refresh rates on MacBook Pro screens? How come laptops are still at 60hz? Price thing?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Social Animal posted:

Will we ever see 120hz refresh rates on MacBook Pro screens? How come laptops are still at 60hz? Price thing?

Probably power, too. 120hz is a pretty niche thing still, though the iPad has it.

I’d rather see variable refresh rates and HDR screens.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
My 2011 2012 (A1465) macbook air's battery has finally poo poo the bed (Condition: Replace Now in the battery monitor) and won't hold a charge for longer than like 20 minutes. It costs $130 for the apple store to replace it, but the batteries look way cheaper than that and pretty dang simple to replace. Has anyone done this? Got a recommendation on a good battery that won't destroy my pelvis in two months when it explodes?

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 9, 2018

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Bummey posted:

My 2011 macbook air's battery has finally poo poo the bed (Condition: Replace Now in the battery monitor) and won't hold a charge for longer than like 20 minutes. It costs $130 for the apple store to replace it, but the batteries look way cheaper than that and pretty dang simple to replace. Has anyone done this? Got a recommendation on a good battery that won't destroy my pelvis in two months when it explodes?

the $130 one

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I put an Anker battery in my wife’s ‘09, but it’s legacy and needs hacks to run a current OS so there wasn’t much riding on it.

Works fine, but ymmv

Lizzy
Jun 4, 2006

IRON MAN
31/10 never forget
I own an SSD drive, I'm thinking of buying a 2012 MacBook Pro 13inch i5 to put it in. What is a good price to pay for the MacBook? What is too much?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lizzy posted:

I own an SSD drive, I'm thinking of buying a 2012 MacBook Pro 13inch i5 to put it in. What is a good price to pay for the MacBook? What is too much?

Depends on where you're at and how much you can get a 2013/2014 13" for.

$350 is pushing it for a 2012 IMO

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I have a mid 2014 MBP and while the battery and performance is still fine, I know I’ll probably want to upgrade it with a replacement at some point in the next few years (also the entire time I’ve owned it I’ve struggled with the 128gb storage, since I use Office & Adobe apps).

Currently it looks like if I sell it on eBay I would get ~$600ish, which is pretty good. I’m worried that if I wait another year or two, that will go down to $400ish.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lelandjs posted:

Currently it looks like if I sell it on eBay I would get ~$600ish, which is pretty good. I’m worried that if I wait another year or two, that will go down to $400ish.
You don't think it's worth $200 to be able to go another year or two before having to buy a new computer? technically somewhat more because you have to compare $600 today with the present value of receiving $400 in two years

Linguica fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 12, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
What's the value proposition for a mbp a couple years out of rotation these days? Like what's a good price for a 2015 and am I missing out on anything important in the 2016 or not gaining anything much over the 2014 or what? I literally know nothing about Apple hardware, thanks god bless

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

AverySpecialfriend posted:

What's the value proposition for a mbp a couple years out of rotation these days? Like what's a good price for a 2015 and am I missing out on anything important in the 2016 or not gaining anything much over the 2014 or what? I literally know nothing about Apple hardware, thanks god bless

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

Just look at this and compare them. Depends if you want USB C. You save about 15% over buying a current one.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 13, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm not buying an apple refurb for $1k+ on a three year old laptop but I would consider getting a used one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm not buying an apple refurb for $1k+ on a three year old laptop but I would consider getting a used one

People love 2015s, you might be surprised by what they cost. Look at how the 2012 Mac Minis still carry a price premium over new ones!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Plenty of people will sell you a used 2015 15" 16/512 for $1500 :smug:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I see 2015 13s for 700, 800 on ebay but they're mostly 128gb ssd which is annoying but not a definite deal breaker for me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Definitely do not get a 128Gb, you'll regret it every day like my GF does with her rMBP2013. It's a nightmare of external hard drives and cloud storage for everything.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Well how user upgradable are they? Again I know literally nothing about Apple hardware. Would it be cheaper to upgrade to a larger ssd than just buying a 256gb one or would the apple store employees give me dirty glares for it?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Well how user upgradable are they?

dude, if you want user upgradable you don't want apple

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Well how user upgradable are they? Again I know literally nothing about Apple hardware. Would it be cheaper to upgrade to a larger ssd than just buying a 256gb one or would the apple store employees give me dirty glares for it?

It's not just dirty glares. You'll need an Apple-specific SSD.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Dyna Soar posted:

dude, if you want user upgradable you don't want apple

I'm only considering one for audio production reasons

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ram is soldered on and the SSD is not a standard M.2 stick. You cannot upgrade them so buy the config you need.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I'm only considering one for audio production reasons

Why apple though? I mean if you're using anything but logic or garageband you'll do fine with a PC, especially if you're only transitioning to a mac now.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

FCKGW posted:

The ram is soldered on and the SSD is not a standard M.2 stick. You cannot upgrade them so buy the config you need.

Thank u for the information, much appreciated

Dyna Soar posted:

Why apple though? I mean if you're using anything but logic or garageband you'll do fine with a PC, especially if you're only transitioning to a mac now.

I want something I know has good audio processing hardware which macs are sort of known for right? And the cross system uniformity seems appealing, my dad did windows audio production and it was always an awful mess of plugin and compatibility issues. Like I don't know how an xps 13 is gonna handle music production but I know definitely a mbp will do well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I want something I know has good audio processing hardware which macs are sort of known for right? And the cross system uniformity seems appealing, my dad did windows audio production and it was always an awful mess of plugin and compatibility issues. Like I don't know how an xps 13 is gonna handle music production but I know definitely a mbp will do well.

This isn't anywhere near as true as it was in the past. I'd figure out what software you're going to be using first. If it's Garageband, then yeah you want a mac.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Garage band is probably the right place to start for me honestly like my dad who by the way is extremely dumb and loves his own farts tries to start me on like reaper or something because it was free and I had zero idea what I was doing (also I was like 14) and it put me off the stuff for years. Plus doesn't garage band run on the same engine as logic? So if I want to upgrade to a more full fledged daw it will be much smoother. Also again I don't know if this is so much an issue with modern laptops but can I reasonably expect a solid specs recent win laptop to do well with that?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Macs have exactly the same level of hardware quality as a PC, the difference is that you can choose cheaper options for a PC. There's really no reason to choose a mac as an audio workstation outside of either software that only runs in OS X or force of habit if you've always used a mac. I mean even firewires a thing of the past now.

Now that Apple has decided to remove most of the ports on laptops, I'd say a PC is superior for any kind of work excluding your required software only works under OS X.

Garage band is probably the right place to start for me honestly like my dad who by the way is extremely dumb and loves his own farts tries to start me on like reaper or something because it was free and I had zero idea what I was doing (also I was like 14) and it put me off the stuff for years. Plus doesn't garage band run on the same engine as logic? So if I want to upgrade to a more full fledged daw it will be much smoother. Also again I don't know if this is so much an issue with modern laptops but can I reasonably expect a solid specs recent win laptop to do well with that?

Well there's garage band level DAW-lites for PC as well. I'd say you're in for the same amount of learning no matter what DAW you decide to migrate to later.

I'm not saying don't buy a mac, just saying that a mac might not be what you're after if you want to start slow and then upgrade later if you feel the need to. With a mac you'll have to drop a lot of money on hardware first, where with a PC you can get the same level machine for much less.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 13, 2018

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Dyna Soar posted:

Macs have exactly the same level of hardware quality as a PC, the difference is that you can choose cheaper options for a PC. There's really no reason to choose a mac as an audio workstation outside of either software that only runs in OS X or force of habit if you've always used a mac. I mean even firewires a thing of the past now.

Now that Apple has decided to remove most of the ports on laptops, I'd say a PC is superior for any kind of work excluding your required software only works under OS X.

Okay so it basically comes down to if I want garage band and logic, specifically. Hmm thanks that gives me something to meditate on. Maybe if I can find a 2015 13" with a 256gb ssd in the under 800 range I'll jump.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Twerk from Home posted:

It's not just dirty glares. You'll need an Apple-specific SSD.

Isn't the actual signaling the same, but it's just a different physical connector? No one's made a physical adapter that will make it work with a standard M.2? I know I've seen them for when you've got the drive out of the machine. Might be tougher to get it to fit inside the MBP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It is possible to upgrade the SSD on a 2013-2015 Retina MacBook Pro with an adapter from China and a standard M.2 NVMe SSD stick.

Currently I have this adapter and a 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO running High Sierra on a 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP, it's great for running VMs IMHO, but I'm only doing this as my warranty is way past. Caveats are that there are infrequent random pauses, hibernation isn't supported, sometimes it takes a while to cold boot.

Other caveats of this setup are discussed offsite here at MacRumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Okay so it basically comes down to if I want garage band and logic, specifically. Hmm thanks that gives me something to meditate on. Maybe if I can find a 2015 13" with a 256gb ssd in the under 800 range I'll jump.

Well those two and some plugins for DAWs might be Os X specific. But as I said, if you're starting from scratch it doesn't really matter if you go mac or PC.