Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

So many new boots with pretty old reg dates. How old are you guys?

(Failing economy, strong fundamentals etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Been awhile since we've had new blood in here hehhh

If you're stuck at TSC great lakes for a bit just remember the real Navy isn't anything like that place. Keep your head down and get out of there asap

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Does anyone else get unreasonably pissed off that the commissary can't loving pay baggers an hourly wage?

Like gently caress off, bagging for tips is so hosed up.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Nope.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pay with plastic and be all ..... uh...

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

So many new boots with pretty old reg dates. How old are you guys?

surprisingly not the oldest in my div

your captains cup chant was rear end *shines chant trophy with elbow*

lmao at the 800 div "what ia our profession? Kill kill kill! What is their profession? Cheer cheer cheer" thing. even the rdcs were groaning

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was 37 went I went through 3 years ago so I know your pain.

Great job on not strangling anyone in their sleep.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i came close, especially with the 22 nukes in our div

how is it possible to collect 22 people and have every single one be an annoying rear end in a top hat about their asvab scores

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Lou Takki posted:

Does anyone else get unreasonably pissed off that the commissary can't loving pay baggers an hourly wage?

I bagged my own groceries at the Sigonella commissary because gently caress that tipping noise.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'm the guy at the commissary trying to self-checkout $30 worth of 79 cent microwave dinners because my ASF shift starts today.

Good evening sir, welcome aboard Naval Station Great Lakes, the Quarterdeck of the Navy.

edit: I just realized I'm actually looking forward to going on shift because my wife's mother has been staying with us for almost a month and honestly you guys I think one of us is not leaving Illinois alive.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 11, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

boy are my arms tired posted:

how is it possible to collect 22 people and have every single one be an annoying rear end in a top hat about their asvab scores

About six of them will flunk A school

Another four will flunk Power School.

Two will be smart and make it through school just to crash into the brick wall that is "applying book knowledge to reality" that is prototype

One will have SADded out in the first year of reaching a ship

One will get a DUI and be de-nuked.

One will likely attempt suicide.

Four will do their six years and leave in a hurry.

Three will reenlist in their first two years to pick up E-5 and two of them will shortly regret that choice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

No idea but did I ever mention I got a 97?

Seriously though we had a guy with a 98 but since he couldn’t get a security clearance for having Russian parents or some such garbage he went in as undes.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This may seem an odd question, but does anyone have the NSN or name for a company that makes an ordnance lift for Hellfire missiles?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SimonCat posted:

This may seem an odd question, but does anyone have the NSN or name for a company that makes an ordnance lift for Hellfire missiles?

Try asking the AO groups on facebook, always greybeards around with knowledge like that.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Throat-punch anyone who brags about their ASVAB

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

About six of them will flunk A school

Another four will flunk Power School.

Two will be smart and make it through school just to crash into the brick wall that is "applying book knowledge to reality" that is prototype

One will have SADded out in the first year of reaching a ship

One will get a DUI and be de-nuked.

One will likely attempt suicide.

Four will do their six years and leave in a hurry.

Three will reenlist in their first two years to pick up E-5 and two of them will shortly regret that choice.

I remember seeing a stat of all enlistees and was surprised how few completed their initial 4/5/6 year commitment.

Also this thread made me google image RTC and that place is almost completely unrecognizable to me. The tunnel between the two halves of the base is there but prettier. The intake building looks exactly the same as I remember it. Other than that... I saw really old pictures of rtc and those b/e pics were the ones I recognized. So what I’m saying is...:corsair:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

101, ship 14, the good ol drop zone

no but our division didnt get dropped nearly enough

yes, for doing a racism

san diego for stg a school, flying out tomorrow. gently caress all the snow here

Im eating a burger right now tho so life is good

was ship 14 the arizona? if it was that was ship.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I was 37 went I went through 3 years ago so I know your pain.

Great job on not strangling anyone in their sleep.

I remember you going in just a bit before me. It’s been a long three years. :stare:

But I was only 20 when I went in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey guys I’m trying to punch up my eval as a reservist since I don’t do poo poo.

Volunteered to observe urinalysis for
30 sailors across 4 units.
Resulting in a 100% completion.

Anyway to make this more verbose without getting in trouble?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
poo poo, if I were any good at eval writing I'd be an O5 by now.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lou Takki posted:

It's kinda hosed up yeah but I also don't really mind since it helps the commissary be unbelievably cheap so Joe E-3 with his 2 kids can afford to eat and I can help make the whole scheme work by tipping the poo poo out of the nice Filipino ladies.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Anita Dickinme posted:

I remember you going in just a bit before me. It’s been a long three years. :stare:

But I was only 20 when I went in.

Three years later all I can conclusively say is do it over I would have joined the French Legion

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Anita Dickinme posted:

was ship 14 the arizona? if it was that was ship.

yes, also affectionately called "the ghetto" and "a shithole"

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys I’m trying to punch up my eval as a reservist since I don’t do poo poo.

COMMAND INVOLVED - Volunteered to take on additional responsibilities as urinalysis observer for 30 Sailors across four other reserve units. His efforts helped to ensure 100% compliance with Navy policy while enforcing good order and discipline.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm the guy at the commissary trying to self-checkout $30 worth of 79 cent microwave dinners because my ASF shift starts today.

Good evening sir, welcome aboard Naval Station Great Lakes, the Quarterdeck of the Navy.

edit: I just realized I'm actually looking forward to going on shift because my wife's mother has been staying with us for almost a month and honestly you guys I think one of us is not leaving Illinois alive.

I just got off the phone with my brother who was pretty pissed, he just got volunteered for ASF. Someone should tell you guys that the whol3 base swapped to greens, maybe you should too.

I'm forever grateful we had a lot of awful instructors to send ASF because gently caress getting oc sprayed again.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

You could do what all of my shithead E5s do and send me garbage which means I get to spend hours nostradamusing some stuff up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think I've made the decision to leave the reserves sometime in the next year and was wondering who in here was active -> reserve -> out and can talk to me about this.

I'm committed to at least one more year, will probably do a 2-week AT in April, and then again in November along with a slough of ATP and maybe some EAT. After that though, I think I'm done. I'll six months into a new career, probably getting super serious with my girlfriend, and I frankly don't want to risk a deployment in the next three years (next year would be catastrophic for my career and personal life - girlfriend cries every time she thinks about it). It kills me because I understand what the true value of that retirement is, but at the same time, it's 12 years out. Also, is it stupid that I want to put on O4 before leaving? How lovely is it to get pinned and then be like, "well, see ya!"

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 12, 2018

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

SimonCat posted:

A lift?

I only know of three:

One has a motor on it apparently. Never seen it used.

One has a hand crank.

And one makes weird iyaoyas noises and goes to mast a lot.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So are evals like this big formal process with lots of code words and gotchas, like a secret navy language?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

shovelbum posted:

So are evals like this big formal process with lots of code words and gotchas, like a secret navy language?

Yes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Something something screened presidential visitors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

COMMAND INVOLVED - Volunteered to take on additional responsibilities as urinalysis observer for 30 Sailors across four other reserve units. His efforts helped to ensure 100% compliance with Navy policy while enforcing good order and discipline.

Thanks this is wonderful. I’m really trying to learn how to write in this.... style.

PneumonicBook posted:

You could do what all of my shithead E5s do and send me garbage which means I get to spend hours nostradamusing some stuff up.

E5 gonna E5.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

yes, also affectionately called "the ghetto" and "a shithole"

Glad things don’t change. :unsmith:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CMD598 posted:

A lift?

I only know of three:

One has a motor on it apparently. Never seen it used.

One has a hand crank.

And one makes weird iyaoyas noises and goes to mast a lot.

Heh. The hand crank one would be best.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I think I've made the decision to leave the reserves sometime in the next year and was wondering who in here was active -> reserve -> out and can talk to me about this.

I'm committed to at least one more year, will probably do a 2-week AT in April, and then again in November along with a slough of ATP and maybe some EAT. After that though, I think I'm done. I'll six months into a new career, probably getting super serious with my girlfriend, and I frankly don't want to risk a deployment in the next three years (next year would be catastrophic for my career and personal life - girlfriend cries every time she thinks about it). It kills me because I understand what the true value of that retirement is, but at the same time, it's 12 years out. Also, is it stupid that I want to put on O4 before leaving? How lovely is it to get pinned and then be like, "well, see ya!"

I can only speak to an IRR chit getting straight denied and told get hosed you're here for the contract. Do Officers leave the same way as enlisted via IRR chit?

I'm not sure if mine was denied due to the Navy in general's new manning instructions or if they really think FCs in the reserves are a good idea.

I know Ket went active->reserve->out but I think that's because his contract was up.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

san diego owns bones. everyone here is super chill and helpful, nice weather and my roommates are cool too

any area recommendations? still phase 1 so cant really go out yet but soon enough

18-24 Downtown/Gas Lamp, Pacific Beach (PB)
24-35 North Park, Hillcrest, and whatever is just north of Little Italy,
30-40 South Park, Mission Valley, Serra Mesa?
40+ Santee? Oceanside?

Music Venues: If you're into music (like going to shows), San Diego doesn't know what's good which means you can spend a bunch of money on lovely shows or see artists that will sell out in LA or Brooklyn.

See awesome shows at: Casbah, Soda Bar. Maybe SPACE? I can't get an read on that place. Don't bring your douchey friends.

Get frustrated or confused or just try you're luck at The Observatory, Black Cat, or Tower Bar

Pay too much for: venues in Oceanside, anything downtown, (exception: happy hour-this is a new discovery for me, but it's so competitive down there that their goal is to get you too drunk to leave)

I cannot emphasize enough: When you're allowed to live out in town (if that happens for you while you're here, I don't really know how that works) take trolly/bus access and bike range into account (i.e. parts of town are super vertical). Driving into 32nd Street routinely sucks and because everybody in the Navy is fat and antisocial, they need a lot of parking so everything is super spread out. If it's convenient, the trolley drops you off next to base and bicycles walk past traffic. I've only had to go to North Island a couple of times, but probably similar up there. This is especially true one you have a space at work where you can leave your stuff.

Same truth applies to motorcycles with the added benefit that you'll probably get smeared on road and get to use those GI bill benefits early, but have to do so while making GBS threads in a bag and riding a wheelchair.

Just kidding buy a mustang.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I thought all enlisted early IRR was halted for now. No word on officer side from what I recall.
But then our fatbody got his chit signed today so who knows.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arizona? Ship 14? I think that’s where i was and it was brand new when i went through. The mason where holdovers got stuck was the lovely place back then. :corsair:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought all enlisted early IRR was halted for now. No word on officer side from what I recall.
But then our fatbody got his chit signed today so who knows.

Nothing like that's come out, we've had two get signed in the last month.

But me?

I'm here forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

Currently in the process of doing this now.