Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of... I bought one adjustable color temp bulb and I don’t really see the point. When do people want bluer light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

smackfu posted:

Speaking of... I bought one adjustable color temp bulb and I don’t really see the point. When do people want bluer light?

In the mornings is when I’ll have them on.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bluer during the day time, change to yellow in the evening.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Color temperatures at the cool end of the spectrum are nice when cleaning, they really make dust and other crap stand out.

Aside from that though I mostly want the ~2500-4500K range, the higher end is just a bonus.

I have a three-mode bulb in my laundry room which does 6000, 4500, and dim 3000 toggled by quickly flipping the switch and that got me hooked on the idea.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My IR-triggered security light outside the house is 5000k.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I'm considering a Google home mini or Amazon Echo dot, so that i can yell at my apartment and have lights turn on and off, and make music play.

Alexa seems to work pretty well, but i'm very well integrated in the google eco system (i have a chromecast and chromecast audio)

How well does either control lights via the Hue bridge? i've got a few third party lights hooked up and stuff like apple homekit won't control it because Apple i guess?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Home Mini will have you compromising the least if you're heavily into Google. It works with Hue.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Go with Google if you want Google integration to be tight

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is there a device you can retrofit on an existing mechanical lock to remotely verify whether the door is shut and locked?
I'm not interested in an electronic lock, just something to alert me if I forget to lock the door.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For the other 2 idiots that probable still want a HomePod. Pre-orders are going up this Friday. release date is Feb. 9.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

nielsm posted:

Is there a device you can retrofit on an existing mechanical lock to remotely verify whether the door is shut and locked?
I'm not interested in an electronic lock, just something to alert me if I forget to lock the door.

A quick google shows people using magnetic switches to accomplish this. I'm not sure why they don't use the deadbolt itself to close a circuit to the monitor.

You could also use the travel distance of the bolt to close switch, something like http://www.insteon.com/hidden-door-sensor/ or some other microswitch

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Drape Culture posted:

A quick google shows people using magnetic switches to accomplish this. I'm not sure why they don't use the deadbolt itself to close a circuit to the monitor.

You could also use the travel distance of the bolt to close switch, something like http://www.insteon.com/hidden-door-sensor/ or some other microswitch

Micro switches tend to throw less faults. Systems that use the deadbolt to complete a circuit exist but they are generally options of last resort since they tend to prone to weird faults and require more maintenance, where as a micro switch will last for decades. What they are looking for is a deadbolt monitoring strike.

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/Latch-and-Deadbolt-Monitoring-Strikes.htm

But given the cost a retrofit of this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset...-ZW-15/20709960 might be easier.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does anyone have any experience with FHEM? I mentioned wanting to get into home automation to someone and he showed me his entire setup which is automated with FHEM. Ignoring that the website is like geocities quality various things I’ve found online makes claims like “faster than openhab” and so on, which I’m failing to understand since it’s not like anything these servers do are compute or IO heavy.

Anyway Id be interested if anyone had any experience with FHEM and could compare it to home assistant.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with FHEM? I mentioned wanting to get into home automation to someone and he showed me his entire setup which is automated with FHEM. Ignoring that the website is like geocities quality various things I’ve found online makes claims like “faster than openhab” and so on, which I’m failing to understand since it’s not like anything these servers do are compute or IO heavy.

Anyway Id be interested if anyone had any experience with FHEM and could compare it to home assistant.

I clicked into this thinking I might take one for the team and give it a shot, since I’d given Domoticz and Openhab a whirl. But after closer examination, it seems incredibly dated and doesn’t have the same community around it that the other two do. I honestly can’t fathom a home automation setup that depends on PERL scripting in TYOOL 2018.

Openhab is great, just flexible enough that you can do things from the web UI with plugins and stuff, or dig in as deep as you want on the back side to really get into the meat of things.

Domoticz was pretty straightforward and well implemented for a variety of devices but dated in its UI and didn’t give you as much depth to tweak things as Openhab once you got past the surface. Domoticz also seemed to have less of a community around it than openhab.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Hmm I've never heard of any of these, are there any reasons to use them over Home Assistant? FHEM looks like a dumpster fire. Openhab looks much nicer but makes me think it's probably not as a flexible as HA?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

n.. posted:

Hmm I've never heard of any of these, are there any reasons to use them over Home Assistant? FHEM looks like a dumpster fire. Openhab looks much nicer but makes me think it's probably not as a flexible as HA?

My understanding is that HomeAssistant is generally a new-and-improved Openhab, but having been around much longer Openhab has deeper support for some equipement. For example, Insteon Powerline Modem Interface.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Interestingly HomeAssistant started as Python script written by some guy to control the stuff in his house with a basic interface.

Now it has become a system second only to OpenHab in the amount of things it supports.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I hosed up something and now Home Assistant is showing doubles in the list of Z-Wave nodes on my network:

HASS is frustratingly bad at conveying when things are going on with the Z-Wave network, so I'm sure I caused this by restarting the network (Stop Network -> Start Network) while a refresh command was executing. My question now is, what do I do from here? The doubled-up entries all appear to point to the same thing as each other, so surely it's just a matter of deleting the duplicated records from something?

And to top it all off I'm still not sure the proper way to rename a node :sigh:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

IAmKale posted:

I hosed up something and now Home Assistant is showing doubles in the list of Z-Wave nodes on my network:

delete the zwcfg_<random string>.xml file in your config folder and restart HA

The devices bound to the controller will reappear

IAmKale posted:

And to top it all off I'm still not sure the proper way to rename a node :sigh:

Configuration, z-wave, select the node you want from the drop down, rename it right underneath where it says 'rename'?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

n.. posted:

delete the zwcfg_<random string>.xml file in your config folder and restart HA

The devices bound to the controller will reappear
Thanks! I completely overlooked that file when I was digging around the config files. I'll give this a try when I get home.

n.. posted:

Configuration, z-wave, select the node you want from the drop down, rename it right underneath where it says 'rename'?
I made it that far, but what I don't know is what exactly happens when I send the "Rename Node" command. How long should I wait for a node yo reflect it's new name? Nothing in HASS sets expectations and so for all I know it should be instantly. That impatience is probably what got me In this situation in the first place.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

IAmKale posted:

I made it that far, but what I don't know is what exactly happens when I send the "Rename Node" command. How long should I wait for a node yo reflect it's new name? Nothing in HASS sets expectations and so for all I know it should be instantly. That impatience is probably what got me In this situation in the first place.

I haven't renamed one in a while but I remember it taking a few seconds/minutes for the name to be reflected in the gui. Actually I might have had to restart HA before it showed the new names. I try not to mess around with the restart/refresh zwave command stuff as it usually doesn't seem to do anything good.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well hot drat, Mozilla announced a Web of Things gateway that looks really easy to use and configure. It's still very early along in development but what they show off in this blog post looks very promising. It seems Mozilla is teaming up with the W3C to try and establish an open standard for IoT devices to communicate with each other using JSON and REST.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

IAmKale posted:

Well hot drat, Mozilla announced a Web of Things gateway that looks really easy to use and configure. It's still very early along in development but what they show off in this blog post looks very promising. It seems Mozilla is teaming up with the W3C to try and establish an open standard for IoT devices to communicate with each other using JSON and REST.

So is this thing yet another peer to HomeKit/Smart Things/Google/Home Assistant or is it in another class?

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Any suggestions for Home security WebCams? Are any of the outdoor ones worth considering?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Justaddwater posted:

Any suggestions for Home security WebCams? Are any of the outdoor ones worth considering?

It depends on your budget.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

It depends on your budget.

Around a couple hundred per camera. Looked at the NEST ones but the paid cloud options seems like overpriced overkill, while the free tier seems useless.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Justaddwater posted:

Around a couple hundred per camera. Looked at the NEST ones but the paid cloud options seems like overpriced overkill, while the free tier seems useless.

I have an indoor and outdoor and the video quality is stellar and idiot proof to maintain.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Have you folks that like NEST cameras ever tried the Amcrest cameras? For affordable cameras I've always used a mix of HIKVision and Amcrest/Dahua. But lots of folks love the NEST cameras. Have the NEST cameras gotten better over time? From what I know about the NEST cameras: NEST cameras are twice the cost of the other cameras, have half the resolution of the other cameras, do not support PoE, do not support any local recording options such as ONVIF, FTP, RTSP, or SD Cards, and require a broadband connection/have no local viewing. Is that still the case?

My preferred choice has always been HIKVision cameras for the ones that can be wired for PoE. And to use the Amcrest/Dahua wifi cameras for the areas where you have access to power but it isn't possible to run ethernet back to an NVR.

Is the attraction of the NEST simply the ease of setup and the fact you will never have to worry about maintaining an NVR? I've always felt the biggest drawback of the NEST cameras is you can only have one or two before you begin to degrade your wifi and broadband performance. With the other brands, setting up a 2nd network for the IP cameras to keep the traffic off your home LAN kind of happens automatically when you use an NVR with a PoE switch.

What am I missing about the NEST cameras that makes them so popular?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

HycoCam posted:

What am I missing about the NEST cameras that makes them so popular?

I honestly think it's because they are shiny and come in fancy packaging like iPhones.

Personally OP, if you already have a desktop computer that you can leave on 24/7 I suggest a combination of Hikvision cameras (I think B&H Photo is the safe place to order them from), a new PoE network switch, and Blue Iris software.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s also because you don’t need to buy an NVR or set up POE switch and cabling or so forth.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It’s also because you don’t need to buy an NVR or set up POE switch and cabling or so forth.

They are wifi and battery operated? How long can batteries possibly last in a camera?

Edit: I guess I've seen some of those setups where they have a wall wart and a cable run 10 feet up the wall to the camera. I didn't realize anyone actually preferred that over PoE, I just assumed they didn't know any better.

Droo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 11, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, they’re WiFi and use mains power, which in most houses is much easier to arrange than POE.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, they now do machine learning notifications don't they?

I know that person identification on my Canary Flex cameras have made them 100x more useful.

After doing it for years I now have no desire to maintain a NVR setup at my house.

The apps and interface for most cameras that are not aimed at consumers are just not good.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I just set up some basic lighting with a Hue hub and a few lightbulbs. So far it's pretty cool, but my fiancee isn't a sperg tech nerd like I am and hates having to use Siri or the Home app to turn off some of the lights at night (especially the lamp on her nightstand.)

I was looking into a physical switch that she could use instead. Philips appears to sell something that might fit the bill, but I was hoping for something cheaper/simpler (a product that is made by another manufacturer that's compatible works just as well for me.)

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

ChadSexington posted:

I just set up some basic lighting with a Hue hub and a few lightbulbs. So far it's pretty cool, but my fiancee isn't a sperg tech nerd like I am and hates having to use Siri or the Home app to turn off some of the lights at night (especially the lamp on her nightstand.)

I was looking into a physical switch that she could use instead. Philips appears to sell something that might fit the bill, but I was hoping for something cheaper/simpler (a product that is made by another manufacturer that's compatible works just as well for me.)

A hue dimmer switch is $25 and does what you want.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Justaddwater posted:

I like Arlo Pro's. The batteries don't last as long as I'd like, but it's still months between recharges. The one facing out on the neighborhood street gets activated a lot and is reachable only by a ladder, so I hardwired it. The interface is excellent, video quality is good, and footage is stored for a week for no extra charge. You can hook up an external hard drive or download clips from the Cloud if you want to keep videos longer. None of that comes cheap. I think I spent about $400 for everything when I bought it on sale during the holidays. Arlo base stations do work with multiple generations of the cameras though. So I have two cheaper 720p cameras and a better 1080p in a spot where I need better resolution.

My oldest daughter had a dance on Friday and she accidentally 'curbed' her date when he tried to go in for a kiss and got a hug. After she mentioned that we went back to the camera footage and got to watch it ourselves. If my awkward interactions with girls in their parent's driveways were recorded, my shame would have never survived high school.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

fr3lm0 posted:

A hue dimmer switch is $25 and does what you want.

Thanks! I think I had seen that before, but never considered it since it looked like a traditional (non-detachable) wall switch in the photos.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ChadSexington posted:

Thanks! I think I had seen that before, but never considered it since it looked like a traditional (non-detachable) wall switch in the photos.

For my wife, the biggest plus was the fact she could turn off all the lights without getting out of bed. Does she just hate talking to robots or is Siri that difficult to use completely hands-off?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

ChadSexington posted:

These dimmers work great, and we have them all over my house. My wife had a strict rule when I got into smart home stuff, everything had to be controlable from some sort of physical device so that she didn't need to ever use her smart phone. After about a year with the smart lights though she had gotten so used to asking alexa to turn them on and off, that for the more recent light additions to our house she hasn't required the attached dimmer switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am surprised how much I use the tap, and am probably getting another one for the bathroom of all places. I usually have a device within arm's reach ofme wherever I'm sitting that can control my lights but if I'm in the living room I still often get up and hit the button.