Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I’m back doing compounds (albeit at a lighter weight) after cracking a rib. It’s ok so far, although definitely a feeing of pressure when doing them.

Maybe I should just start doing steroids, I’m never gonna get big. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

Injured my back deadlifting about 3 months ago, gained 8lbs during my rehab and came back stronger than I've ever been. I've been pretty down thinking I might not be able to do compounds heavy anymore but getting back into it this week really turned everything around for me.

That batman quote comes to mind...

Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick our selves up.

But it's true this is my first real injury in 4ish years and I'm coming away with a lot of knowledge and a better understanding of my body so while I'm not saying I enjoyed hurting my self, I feel it was beneficial in its own right.

That's exactly why I didn't correct some guy's form yesterday when I saw him doing awful rdls.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I was on the phone for literally 2 minutes and someone just starting using the machine I was on. Lol wtf. There’s literally another machine 3 meters away no one was using.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Firos posted:

I was on the phone for literally 2 minutes and someone just starting using the machine I was on. Lol wtf. There’s literally another machine 3 meters away no one was using.

That's an alpha move.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

nooneofconsequence posted:

That's an alpha move.

Look they absolutely NEEDED to do some 24kg pull downs RIGHT THAT SECOND.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pesmerga posted:

I’m back doing compounds (albeit at a lighter weight) after cracking a rib. It’s ok so far, although definitely a feeing of pressure when doing them.

Maybe I should just start doing steroids, I’m never gonna get big. :smith:

Whenever that rib thing happens to me I just need to get past the "if I sneeze I will pass out from the pain" phase and then I'm back at it

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Firos posted:

Maybe save the phone calls for when you're driving or talking to a cashier or anything thats a little less obnoxious than between sets in the gym

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Suck the poo poo straight out of my fat rear end in a top hat

What else am I supposed to do between long strength sets. I browse SA between deadlifts

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Are there not hot dudes to be checked out or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Downside of home gym: you have to make your own hot dude

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Firos posted:

What's your gym-dom's name? Did you pick up his weights and wipe the sweat off his benches the rest of the day?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like there was a machine 0 meters away that no one was using

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

Maybe save the phone calls for when you're driving or talking to a cashier or anything thats a little less obnoxious than between sets in the gym

nooneofconsequence posted:

That's an alpha move.

I posted this between deadlifts.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

Sounds like there was a machine 0 meters away that no one was using

Sounds like there were two machines that were not being used

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Had a poo poo week and might not get a chance to lift again until Saturday, so I tried going all out today. Still couldn't pull 4 plates. Got it off the floor, though! Improvement. Probably shouldn't have squatted first.

naem
May 29, 2011

am I the only heterosexual left

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
How do you know that you are heterosexual? Ever sucked a dick and didn't like it?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I have sucked a dick and in fact liked it a lot less than eating pussy. :D Confirmed hetero right here.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

doverhog posted:

Maybe you know this already, but do not hit the bag without wraps and some idea of how to do it properly. You can break your wrist real easy.

Hah yeah definitely a bad idea to do that. Been boxing for about 4 years or so now, but moved recently so I hadn't had access to any equipment.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

doverhog posted:

Maybe you know this already, but do not hit the bag without wraps and some idea of how to do it properly. You can break your wrist real easy.

My biggest pet peeve at the gym.
I've had to clean blood off the bags before. Wtf just use literally any kind of glove to keep your blood contained at least!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My biggest pet peeve at the gym.
I've had to clean blood off the bags before. Wtf just use literally any kind of glove to keep your blood contained at least!

My gym has a small boxing room. They won't give you the keys unless you have gloves.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Firos posted:

Look they absolutely NEEDED to do some 24kg pull downs RIGHT THAT SECOND.

Well, warmups are important

:smuggo:

Fallows posted:

Injured my back deadlifting about 3 months ago, gained 8lbs during my rehab and came back stronger than I've ever been. I've been pretty down thinking I might not be able to do compounds heavy anymore but getting back into it this week really turned everything around for me.

I feel you on this. I tweaked a deadlift the last week of December and was super careful on posterior chain work afterwards, moving to volume and going lighter than usual. I just got back to strength training today and went super light on the deadlifts to improve and practice my form, ending with 3x5 @ 185. I could let it be a blow to the ego, especially as I was around 330 1RM a month or so so, but my ego isn't as important as my lumbar region.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 12, 2018

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I normally just do 531 squat, but for some reason decided I need more volume yesterday. Hopped on a leg press, (something I haven't done at least for couple of years) did a few warm up reps and during the last one heard a loud pop from my ribs as I lowered the sled down.
My left side has been hurting since. Diagnosis from the x-ray comes on friday. :toot:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Strap trip report: they're cool. The weight feels way less heavy for some reason (brains are weird) and i'm definitely gonna use them for my heavy sets. I felt like a huge bitch practicing with them on a barbell with the bare minimum weight but whatever.

I did farmers walks afterwards for the first time, to make up for using straps, and JESUS gently caress they're waaay harder than I was expecting. I can feel it up my entire forearm and I almost didn't get the dumbbells back to the rack. Cool exercise.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Metanaut posted:

I normally just do 531 squat, but for some reason decided I need more volume yesterday. Hopped on a leg press, (something I haven't done at least for couple of years) did a few warm up reps and during the last one heard a loud pop from my ribs as I lowered the sled down.
My left side has been hurting since. Diagnosis from the x-ray comes on friday. :toot:

loving hell, this is happening to everyone right now, that’s exactly what happened to me, except on the right hand side. Hurt like hell for a few days, particularly when I sneezed or coughed, three weeks later I’m more or less back to normal. I wonder what it is with the elf press and cracking ribs...

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I hurt my ribs on the right side almost 2 years ago, but it never hurt to breath or make any cracky poppy sounds. I think its just a muscle or something, I was and still am broke so I've never had it looked at.. It has been annoying but never interferes with a single lift I do :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s making me feel a little better that at least it’s apparently not because my chest is made of papier-mache

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Data Graham posted:

It’s making me feel a little better that at least it’s apparently not because my chest is made of papier-mache

Was yours also on the leg press?

In other news, I’m tempted to do the 5:2 fast for my cut - eat at maintenance on the five lifting days, and 600 calories on the two days off.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
my rear end is pretty great; might make me sign up for the gym again if i can just peacock around and not really do any lifting

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My rear end is getting bigger and bigger from squats and that silly kickback machine, I love it.

I just wish my gym had a GHR so my rear end could get even biggerer.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Had my first bench press session with my gym's new buffalo bar. I was expecting it to be horrible and super hard but it was surprisingly amazing and so comfortable. I worked up with 2ct paused sets of 6 reps and a top set of 2ct 5reps at 105kg. The buffalo bar seems to put waay less pressure on my shoulders and feels like my elbows tuck way more naturally at the bottom of the lift (i have very long limbs)

Overall a way more comfortable bench press experience despite the drop in weight. I wont bench heavy for a long time with my programming so these medium weights are great to switch up like this. If anyone else has access to one i recommend trying it out.

Yoke and log tomorrow with the new strongman toys. :getin:

Also becuase ive never really trained with dumbells much my incline DB press is trash. Anyone got some tips for getting the dumbells to your shoulders easier for the start of a set? I can do the reps fine just getting the db's in position from my knees at the start fucks me up every time.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 12, 2018

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i wish i had massive biceps, like King Cold from DBZ.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Sludge Tank posted:

Had my first bench press session with my gym's new buffalo bar. I was expecting it to be horrible and super hard but it was surprisingly amazing and so comfortable. I worked up with 2ct paused sets of 6 reps and a top set of 2ct 5reps at 105kg. The buffalo bar seems to put waay less pressure on my shoulders and feels like my elbows tuck way more naturally at the bottom of the lift (i have very long limbs)

Overall a way more comfortable bench press experience despite the drop in weight. I wont bench heavy for a long time with my programming so these medium weights are great to switch up like this. If anyone else has access to one i recommend trying it out.

Yoke and log tomorrow with the new strongman toys. :getin:

Also becuase ive never really trained with dumbells much my incline DB press is trash. Anyone got some tips for getting the dumbells to your shoulders easier for the start of a set? I can do the reps fine just getting the db's in position from my knees at the start fucks me up every time.

You could try having them rest on your knees, and then pushing one leg up and then the other to get them into position. Alternatively, if they're too heavy for that, you could just ask someone to help you get them into position.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I did the math on my leg volume over the last month. This is spread across 8 leg days total.

Front Squat Volume: 117,900 pounds

Deadlift Volume: 173,250 pounds

Total: 291,150 pounds

Also, buffalo bars are great for squats, especially if you have a history of pissing off your shoulders. lets you get nice and tight without having to compromise position, and has great carryover to a regular bar.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I did try launching them with my knees but i found i ended up wiggling down the seat so i ended up in a very awkward sitting position so my rear end was too far forward and the db's end up anywhere. Just need to develop better shoulder strength i guess.

And i dont so much get shoulder pain from squats as i do elbow pain. But its getting better. Turns out ive been squatting lowbar with too narrow grip this whole time which has created untold chain of problems in my form. Slackened off my grip width a bit and that fixed most of my problems (buttwink etc) straight away

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You could get some dumbbell power hooks. They let you rack and unrack them off a bar in a rack.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Oh sick ive never heard of those before. I'll look into it. Thanks! :eng101:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pesmerga posted:

Was yours also on the leg press?

Hasn’t happened on that, but lots of other weird stuff has caused it, like falling off a dirt bike, or just like rolling onto my arm during a push-up. But in my case it’s always involved actual chest impact, so there’s that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

naem posted:

am I the only heterosexual left

look at this cockdodger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dilber posted:

I did the math on my leg volume over the last month. This is spread across 8 leg days total.

Front Squat Volume: 117,900 pounds

Deadlift Volume: 173,250 pounds

Total: 291,150 pounds

Also, buffalo bars are great for squats, especially if you have a history of pissing off your shoulders. lets you get nice and tight without having to compromise position, and has great carryover to a regular bar.

That is pretty good volume. I think I only get 150k a month with upper and lower body combined.