Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Mulderman posted:

I guess being a mochi man, he can tear off a chunk and maybe by decreasing his stomach mass or something grow it back? I doubt this is a technique he can use in rapid succession. He probably needs to refill on donuts in order to get his mass back.

The idea I always had was that his body is like a ball of gum. You can tear off a piece and roll it back in a ball. The shape will be the same, just a bit smaller.

I'll be kind of funny if Luffy manages to beat Katakuri by forcing him to decrease his mass too much.

Katakuri is actually really tiny, the body you see is made entirely of mochi.

Like that biscuit dude, but even smaller.

vvv EDIT: That makes an alarming amount of sense.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Since he is Luffy's mirror match it's going to turn out that he is a snake person and all of his human elements except his head are mochi once Luffy going into Snake Mode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, he is already called an eel; and that's basically a sea snake.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
you'd think if he could construct his body out of mochi he could give himself a less shameful mouth

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

you'd think if he could construct his body out of mochi he could give himself a less shameful mouth

But then how can he indulge himself by eating giant freaking donuts?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
With smaller bites I'd presume

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

With smaller bites I'd presume

Clearly you do not understand Katakuri, the Man Who Loves Donuts.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
And laying on the floor.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
What was the point in the Logia > Paramecia retcon anyway if he's just going to do all the poo poo Logias do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It could be that Oda wants to establish that really advanced use of a paramecia can be indistinguishable from use of a logia. At least, certain types of paramecia. I doubt the quake quake fruit user could ever become a man made of quakes for instance. Maybe Luffy will learn to make himself a literal being of rubber further down the line, and start imitating Plastic Man.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Is it a retcon? I figured Jinbei called him a logia because that's what everyone thought he was. Then mid-battle Luffy discovers that he's actually a paramecia who uses his powers to make himself appear to be a logia because everyone knows not to gently caress with a logia, and it throws powerful fighters off guard when their haki moves "pass through" Katakuri's supposedly logia body

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

U-DO Burger posted:

Is it a retcon? I figured Jinbei called him a logia because that's what everyone thought he was. Then mid-battle Luffy discovers that he's actually a paramecia who uses his powers to make himself appear to be a logia because everyone knows not to gently caress with a logia, and it throws powerful fighters off guard when their haki moves "pass through" Katakuri's supposedly logia body

In the weekly serialization Jinbe called it a Logia, but in the proper volume 86 the dialogue was changed to have him refer to it as a "special paramecia".

It's absolutely a retcon.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ah, I didn't know about the change. Yep, that's a retcon, and one that seems rather pointless too

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Ah, I didn't know about the change. Yep, that's a retcon, and one that seems rather pointless too

I think he was just a Mochi man, which means he was like Luffy and couldn't generate mochi outside his body until his fruit awakened, but could manipulate his body by creating extra arms etc. That would explain the rocket fist and how he can regenerate it. It basically makes him a logia user for non haki users though and his observation haki essentially makes him one to haki users anyway

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure that the logia -> special paramecia retcon was just because Oda decided that mochi didn't really fit with Logias' natural element theme. While Paramecia is the "no rules" category.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Snake Man will be like Katakuri's donut punches except its called gomu gomu bagel storm.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elemental Weakness: Mochi

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Katakuri's fruit functions on both common paramecia rulesets, in that he both is made of and can generate mochi. Luffy is just made of rubber, while mister 3 can only generate wax.
His fruit fits perfectly within the established rules, it's just on another level from others.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

QuasiQuack posted:

Katakuri's fruit functions on both common paramecia rulesets, in that he both is made of and can generate mochi. Luffy is just made of rubber, while mister 3 can only generate wax.
His fruit fits perfectly within the established rules, it's just on another level from others.

Being made of and can generate is mainly Logia territory.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

I think he can generate Mochi mostly because his fruit is awakened.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

i believe the technical term is "woke"

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydk8O40cwSU

:toot:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Being made of and can generate is mainly Logia territory.

He's practically a Logia. In fact, Oda accidentally introduced him as a logia user. Then he remembered Logias are all natural substances.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 11, 2018

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Holy gently caress its even the same voice actor as Jojo :bignews:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Mr 3 could make tons of wax and he was just a regular paramecia

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I think we're going to argue in circles over an imaginary rule that was apparently, just an error on Oda's part

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah it's pretty clear at this point that he is made of and can make mochi, so I don't see the point in trying to argue what category to put his power in, clearly Oda hosed up initially or they wouldn't have changed things in the official release.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That also makes sense with him initially just doing mochi punches, but then suddenly busting out other random poo poo once they enter mirror world. Oh I guess he's a paramecia now so sure he can do donuts and mealtime houses as well.

EDIT: TBH I liked Katakuri best when his name was Dogtooth, he shot jelly beans, and his main fight contribution was helplessly commenting on the chaos that is about to happen in five seconds.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I demand some god drat consistency for the slop-generating paramecias. :colbert:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Mochi rocket punch owned and tbh that's all the justification I need to not give a single solitary poo poo about ~fruit rules~.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

The Mochi rocket punch owned and tbh that's all the justification I need to not give a single solitary poo poo about ~fruit rules~.
get out

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
They should have just limited logia to intangible things like light dark fire lightning cold air etc then we wouldn't have these issues. I mean is sand magma or mud any less complex than mochi?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

theyre all naturally occurring phases of rock + water/heat/time

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It doesn't occur naturally to my knowledge, so while I'm not even sure what mochi actually is I'd hazard a guess that it's more complex yes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It should just be made of thing, produce thing or animal, with awakening broadly being some variation of logia gaining paramecia attributes or vice versa, plus the current awakening thing of turning stuff into thing (and whatever zoans do, I guess). Just keep whether it's natural or not as a general rule, with the odd exception like Katakuri when it fits a theme.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Katakuri is cool as hell in his anime intro.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I will start watching the anime again if they throw in JoJo "your next line is" references for katakuri

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'll start watching the anime again when they start adapting two chapters per episode again.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

Mr 3 could make tons of wax and he was just a regular paramecia

He can make wax, but he's not made of wax. Much as Luffy is made of rubber but cannot make rubber.

Actually, considering, aren't logia all elemental? I don't think mochi counts as an element. So maybe that's why he's a paramecia; he's both made of and can create mochi, but that's not elemental so it gets classed as a paramecia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he can make it but he's not necessarily made of it. logia's can turn into their element though which paramecia's can't