Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Disney now controls a substantial amount of Hulu after their fox deal, right? It may end up being resurrected as the Disney Streaming Service they’ve been talking about for the past few quarters.

The deal is by no means done. This is a huge merger and needs to be approved by the Justice Department first. Remember a few years ago when Comcast was trying to buy Time Warner Cable, the Government strongly opposed that, even though Comcast and Time Warner were not direct competitors as they served separate markets. In the end, Comcast dropped the deal because of the Government's opposition. Now the proposed Disney and Fox merger, this would be a classic horizontal merger, as a competitor would be completely eliminated from the market place. So it's going to be under even higher scrutiny.

Of course Hulu is a huge roadblock in all of this. As is Disney's ownership of ESPN. Even though Fox Sports would not be part of the deal, Disney would have a bigger ability to dominate sports broadcasting. There is also opposition from groups like the Writers Guild.

So right now this is all in the hands of the lawyers. Both Disney and Fox have hired several of the best law firms in the world each to represent them, to go against the might of the United States Government.

If the merger successful, you're probably not going to hear that announcement for at least a year, and it'll take some time after that to start shifting all of the creative around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure a lot of that's already been hashed out, which is how we know Fox Sports isn't part of the deal.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

sponges posted:

I dropped Hulu when they got rid of the Criterion movies

I spent $13/mo just for Difficult People. Worth it.

Now I pay $13/mo because I keep forgetting to record The Good Place on my DVR. No so much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The good place is milquetoast and boring. I really wanted to like it but I cant even finish season 2

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of that's already been hashed out, which is how we know Fox Sports isn't part of the deal.

No. Disney and Fox have their proposed deal worked out. They're only just getting started on the Government end of it. These firms are gearing up to hire potentially hundreds of contract attorneys just to do the Discovery side of it. I'm an attorney and this is the kind of work I do. Trust me, it hasn't all been hashed out.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A MIRACLE posted:

The good place is milquetoast and boring.

Strong disagree.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Disney has already said that any R rated stuff they aquire will be offloaded to Hulu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like the new Queer Eye but I also don't like it for the same reasons as the original. It goes a little further than the old show. There's an episode where they're making over a gay guy because... why not!?... and he says he doesn't want to wear anything "feminine" and one of the guys goes "this is who you are" and it's like... hashtag not all gay guys are like that, "gay" is not a personality or lifestyle and making "gay" a lifestyle actively harms acceptance especially for queer people like me who don't believe there's any "right" way to be queer...

Plus the clothing guy is REALLY annoying.

Still not bad though, on balance, just... yeah, the lifestyle thing gets me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

I dropped Hulu when they got rid of the Criterion movies

Yeah even outside of that they used to have a pretty decent movie selection (and no ads for movies so that was irrelevant), now not so much.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They have some of the most aggressive anti-adblock tech on the internet, too.

Really? Whenever I watch Hulu in browser every ad is just a black screen that politely asks me to turn off ad block. It lasts for the length of a regular ad and then the show starts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unmature posted:

Really? Whenever I watch Hulu in browser every ad is just a black screen that politely asks me to turn off ad block. It lasts for the length of a regular ad and then the show starts.

Yeah same here. Hulu's like the one site that doesn't stop working with adblock on for me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Random shows also won't have ads. I know Adventure Time never plays ads for me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How is The Expanse?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

How is The Expanse?

Really quite good if you dig sci-fi.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The Ritual was fantastic!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unmature posted:

Waiting for the length of an entire ad defeats half the purpose of having an adblocker. Sites that just shut you out usually aren't too hard to bypass, too, whereas I've pretty much just given up trying to filter my way around Hulu.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

I like the new Queer Eye but I also don't like it for the same reasons as the original. It goes a little further than the old show. There's an episode where they're making over a gay guy because... why not!?... and he says he doesn't want to wear anything "feminine" and one of the guys goes "this is who you are" and it's like... hashtag not all gay guys are like that, "gay" is not a personality or lifestyle and making "gay" a lifestyle actively harms acceptance especially for queer people like me who don't believe there's any "right" way to be queer...

Still not bad though, on balance, just... yeah, the lifestyle thing gets me.

to be honest as another queer person who looks at the issue you're touching upon and kind of just makes terrified Hank Hill noises and runs away whenever it comes up

this poo poo is a minefield

like holy sweet merciful gently caress you have not scratched the surface of how much of a minefield it is

for every person who thinks there's no right way to be queer, there's 20 who have a very strictly defined "right way to be queer" and will very, very angrily debate each other over it and call each other straight infiltrators trying to kill the gay community over it so I have learned to just swallow my pride and shut up when that kind of thing shows up to avoid shitstorms

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I got kinda lucky and had a friend with ad free hulu who let me use it in exchange for using my prime video and netflix. Don't think I'd ever use it otherwise.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Waiting for the length of an entire ad defeats half the purpose of having an adblocker. Sites that just shut you out usually aren't too hard to bypass, too, whereas I've pretty much just given up trying to filter my way around Hulu.

I disagree. I'm patient, and don't have to watch an ad. Sounds like a bigger win to me.

And how in the goddamn crap does Filmstruck STILL not have a PS4 app?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

The hair guy is way more annoying. He's like a hyperactive toddler. The food guy is charming though.

It's not the type of thing I normally watch, but it's actually pretty enjoyable. It's really hammy and the moral of the day stuff feels super calculated, but it's a good thing to throw on in the background. I've never seen the original show.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 11, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Best Bond, In Like Flint discuss

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah even outside of that they used to have a pretty decent movie selection (and no ads for movies so that was irrelevant), now not so much.

They do have Blazing Saddles at the moment. I watched it a couple days ago. God I forgot how much I love that one.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

The good place is milquetoast and boring.

Fork this

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Tan? Tan is great.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

to be honest as another queer person who looks at the issue you're touching upon and kind of just makes terrified Hank Hill noises and runs away whenever it comes up

this poo poo is a minefield

like holy sweet merciful gently caress you have not scratched the surface of how much of a minefield it is

for every person who thinks there's no right way to be queer, there's 20 who have a very strictly defined "right way to be queer" and will very, very angrily debate each other over it and call each other straight infiltrators trying to kill the gay community over it so I have learned to just swallow my pride and shut up when that kind of thing shows up to avoid shitstorms

That's really not what this iteration is about. They're not telling these guys how to be A-List Gay, they're telling them how to be best versions of themselves. They're not saying, hey, this is the most fashionable thing, they're saying, oh, here's your style, but the fit isn't right, or that shirt you're wearing is 20 years old, or makes you look way older than you really are. Or, "oh, hey, you have lupus? It's really important that you wear lots of sunscreen, that's why your face is all red and blotchy. Here's a brand that would be really great given your condition and your skin type"

Really, pretty much every episode they're pushing the importance of having confidence and loving yourself. A lot of these guys have fallen into ruts into their lives, have lost a lot of self-love, and think that they don't have a lot to offer, and the Fab Five is trying to help them turn that around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Tan? Tan is great.

veni veni veni posted:

The hair guy is way more annoying.

Oh poo poo yeah I meant the hair guy. Tan is indeed the coolest one aside from the food guy.

Nihonniboku posted:

That's really not what this iteration is about. They're not telling these guys how to be A-List Gay, they're telling them how to be best versions of themselves. They're not saying, hey, this is the most fashionable thing, they're saying, oh, here's your style, but the fit isn't right, or that shirt you're wearing is 20 years old, or makes you look way older than you really are. Or, "oh, hey, you have lupus? It's really important that you wear lots of sunscreen, that's why your face is all red and blotchy. Here's a brand that would be really great given your condition and your skin type"

Yeah but the episode I was talking about, the gay guy, it came off very strongly that they were trying to steer him in a "more lifestyle gay" direction; like I said, especially where he says he doesn't want to wear "feminine" clothing and they assume that he's saying that because he doesn't want to signify that he's gay, and that's problematic on at least three levels. They weren't just cleaning that guy up, they were giving him a specifically queer-coded image and telling him "this is who you are".

precision fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 11, 2018

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

precision posted:

Oh poo poo yeah I meant the hair guy. Tan is indeed the coolest one aside from the food guy.

Yeah but the episode I was talking about, the gay guy, it came off very strongly that they were trying to steer him in a "more lifestyle gay" direction; like I said, especially where he says he doesn't want to wear "feminine" clothing and they assume that he's saying that because he doesn't want to signify that he's gay, and that's problematic on at least three levels. They weren't just cleaning that guy up, they were giving him a specifically queer-coded image and telling him "this is who you are".

But didn't the food guy also say something to the effect that his sexuality didn't define him and that was cool too? I kinda binge watched it today so it's all muddled.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The whole show is built on a stereotype of gay people, namely that they are sassy and fashionable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

You mean Jonathan from the Emmy nominated Gay of Thrones?

He's the best.

quote:

I disagree. He was messy before and clearly had issues. He also submitted himself to the show, it's not like some of the other episodes where their friends or family nominated them. He was also happy with how things turned out. Sometimes what holds a lot of gay men back is their own self-loathing, and all it takes is a little push to embrace themselves. He wasn't completely out, and that reflected in how he portrayed himself. Also, they never pushed him to wear "feminine" clothing, that is your own assumption. There was nothing feminine about the makeover they gave him. Not even close. He was wearing baggy clothing, which was hiding the fact that he had a rocking body. Add to that, the scraggly beard that made him look homeless.

There's nothing wrong with however you want to portray yourself as a gay man. But there is also nothing wrong with a gay man looking to change how he portrays himself. It seems like you're projecting some of your own issues onto this show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
My main issue with Hulu is that all the media companies that own it are slowly killing Netflix by starving it of content. It's the pettiest poo poo, especially when the shows they refuse to renew contracts on don't actually make it onto any other service.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This thread reminded me to cancel Hulu. Ad-free is the way to go, but Jesus it is so hard to find anything to watch. It is so frustrating.

I’ll pick it up again once I can binge Handmaid’s Tale season 2, and they do have that new Stephen King show Castle Rock coming up.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I gave my friend my Netflix account and she gave me her ad free Hulu account. It's baller as gently caress.

:getin:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

I gave my friend my Netflix account and she gave me her ad free Hulu account. It's baller as gently caress.

:getin:

Yeah I've got a deal like that going with some friends and family for every major service and it rules. I buy Netflix, my brother gets HBO, and my buddy gets NO ads Hulu, and then we all have Prime anyways. Basically endless poo poo to watch for dirt cheap.

I'll edit that if it's considered :warez: but afaik there's nothing illegal about it and companies have ways to limit that poo poo more and they don't, so whatever. I don't know why everyone doesn't do that. Just get 4 people and your are set.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I use Hulu to try out anime. I am enjoying Gungrave so far.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

James Woods Fan posted:

Heads up, it completely goes to poo poo in the second half. It's a video game adaptation and the first half is the writers filling in the barely-there backstory with whatever they thought was cool, but then they get to the actual game and the show turns into little more than recreations of the boss fights.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Heads up, it completely goes to poo poo in the second half. It's a video game adaptation and the first half is the writers filling in the barely-there backstory with whatever they thought was cool, but then they get to the actual game and the show turns into little more than recreations of the boss fights.

UGH. That is super disappointing. How is Darker Than Black or Ergo Proxy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

James Woods Fan posted:

UGH. That is super disappointing. How is Darker Than Black or Ergo Proxy?

Darker Than Black has a good first season that doesn't even begin to answer the questions it raises about the setting, and then an absolutely atrocious second season. They're almost completely unrelated plot-wise though and the first one does have a conclusion of sorts so you can just watch it and stop there if you want. There are also a couple of OVAs that I haven't seen that bridge the two.

I watched one episode of Ergo Proxy like a decade ago so I can't help you there.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Thanks. I'll check out Darker. gently caress that is sad regarding Gungrave. I was like "Man I wasn't expecting all this Yakuza poo poo but it's cool" and I was anticipating the switch to what looked like crazy monster poo poo.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Almost a year and a half after cancelling my cable my old provider must have figured out something because I finally lost my access to HBOGO. I'm trying to decide if I want to just to subscribe to HBO. If I do does that mean I'll have to use HBO Now instead?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
While we're having Anime Chat, I'm finally digging into Kill La Kill on VRV and man it is WILD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

James Woods Fan posted:

My friend got me to check out Attack on Titan. S1 is on Netflix, and I think Hulu has both seasons. It is a weird-rear end show.

All the Hulu anime content, are they all just subtitled?