Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they chu. Happy 20th birthday, Xenogears.

feliz chumpleaños

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

McStephenson posted:

God, this was a real, actual thing that happened in that game, wasn’t it.

You saw it too? Oh thank God.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I always found the surprise cannibalism scene followed by Citan's navel gazing of "To end a person's life, and then consume their flesh. Is that...permissible?" to be crazier than the chuchu crucifixion, but this was definitely one of the sillier moments in any game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ajkalan posted:

I always found the surprise cannibalism scene followed by Citan's navel gazing of "To end a person's life, and then consume their flesh. Is that...permissible?" to be crazier than the chuchu crucifixion, but this was definitely one of the sillier moments in any game.

The constantly ducking out of the party whenever he needs to do some actual work made him enough of a prick, but him letting them eat the people without saying anything was genuinely what the gently caress man

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Having just finished Xenoblade 2, I'm only mildly disappointed we haven't seen quite that level of weirdness again in a Tetsuya Takahashi game. (though we've definitely seen worse, looking at you, Albedo)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

McStephenson posted:

God, this was a real, actual thing that happened in that game, wasn’t it.

Yeeeep. If I could find a magic genie lamp, one of my wishes would be for Xenogears to get a proper remake and :allears:

BlitzMentalist
Jan 20, 2018

A Person Who Does Things.

The Dark Id posted:

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they chu. Happy 20th birthday, Xenogears.

On the one hand, I now want to go through the Xenogears LP because I don't actually know what happens in it and I want context.

On the other hand.

What the gently caress is this?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzMentalist posted:

On the one hand, I now want to go through the Xenogears LP because I don't actually know what happens in it and I want context.

On the other hand.

The party mascot character getting exactly what it deserves.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

BlitzMentalist posted:

On the other hand.

Chuthulu is dying for your sins.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Read the Xenogears LP. It's wonderful.

Anyway, having actually hurled myself at the level 99 gambler's coliseum, I can imagine that someone out there beat it legit. Some people are just that "good" at video games, that they'll actually spend that much time developing the sheer muscle memory necessary to handle an hour's worth of one-hit-kill bullshit. Emphasis on bullshit. But, it's not something anyone can just grab, which is why the otherwise not-terrible idea of a post-route-C low level challenge run is off the table for virtually everyone.

Altogether, there's no way that arena mode is anything other than intentionally garbage design. It's kind of special that way.

So, turn on invincibility using the debug mode and go hog wild. Stare incredulously at what you were otherwise supposed to clear flawlessly. Feel the nostalgia trip of seeing Shade assets and sound effects. Enjoy "Possessed by a Disease" being used an actual second time.

Then reload your save and shed not a single tear for the doofy fluorescent hair.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BlitzMentalist posted:

On the other hand.

At one point, because the whole game is more biblical than even motherfucking Evangelion, all the character's mechs are crucified in the background. Chu-chu, however, doesn't have a mech; she just becomes huge and looks really out of place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mazed posted:

Anyway, having actually hurled myself at the level 99 gambler's coliseum, I can imagine that someone out there beat it legit. Some people are just that "good" at video games, that they'll actually spend that much time developing the sheer muscle memory necessary to handle an hour's worth of one-hit-kill bullshit. Emphasis on bullshit. But, it's not something anyone can just grab, which is why the otherwise not-terrible idea of a post-route-C low level challenge run is off the table for virtually everyone.

Altogether, there's no way that arena mode is anything other than intentionally garbage design. It's kind of special that way.

So, turn on invincibility using the debug mode and go hog wild. Stare incredulously at what you were otherwise supposed to clear flawlessly. Feel the nostalgia trip of seeing Shade assets and sound effects. Enjoy "Possessed by a Disease" being used an actual second time.

Then reload your save and shed not a single tear for the doofy fluorescent hair.

Most of what I've seen in the way of clears puts emphasis on maximizing A2's berserk and taunts. Make you do as much damage as possible so it can be cleared in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, the chip requirements are kinda crazy, but hey. Why have RPG elements if some lunatic won't maximize them?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mazed posted:

I mean, one of the core themes of Drakenier is that completionism is bullshit. The "do absolutely everything" ending in every game is some manner of "gently caress you", either a janky rhythm battle followed by the most confusing and unsatisfying of all endings (Drakengard 1 & 3) or literally deleting your entire save file just for a flower on the title screen (Nier). It's only logical that the reward for relentless completionism in the DLC is an arena battle that's only winnable in the academic sense. Like, the "you-know-who" fight that mysteriously appeared is probably just :yokotaro: laughing at you and then you instantly die while he calls you a lame tryhard and then the DLC uninstalls itself. That or Shade/Gestalt Emil who turns out to be the original Emil and he dies for real and it's all your fault.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

BlitzMentalist posted:

On the other hand.

The results of Citan's fuckery.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Cheats on or not, another thing worth trying that arena for is to hear the vocal effects being used for shade-mode Simone. They aren't the same as those used for her regular fight. They're quite something.

Bruceski posted:

At one point, because the whole game is more biblical than even motherfucking Evangelion, all the character's mechs are crucified in the background. Chu-chu, however, doesn't have a mech; she just becomes huge and looks really out of place.

Look man, look

you gotta also remember growing to giant mech size is actually this dumb baby mascot character's actual superpower.

Xenogears is a very stoic and sophisticated story.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ajkalan posted:

He was dispensing valuable life lessons, like "don't eat mystery meat", and "never ever trust Dr. Citan Uzuki, M.D., Ph.D.". For free, I might add.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

never forget the chu chu orgy.

I certainly did from since playing the game as a kid.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Having not played Xenogears, I can't tell which ones of you are loving with me and which ones somehow aren't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

KamikazePotato posted:

Having not played Xenogears, I can't tell which ones of you are loving with me and which ones somehow aren't.

Xenogears has enough plot for like five games so I'm pretty sure it's all true

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KamikazePotato posted:

Over on lparchive.org, there's a Let's Play of Xenogears, also done by TDI. Go read it. It's worth it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

KamikazePotato posted:

Literally everything that has been discussed about Xenogears actually happens in the game. That game goes many many many places.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

Literally everything that has been discussed about Xenogears actually happens in the game. That game goes many many many places.

places like "WHY WOULD YOU LET THEM EAT THAT" or "WHO WOULD BUILD A GUN ROBOT THAT FIRES ITS PILOT IN A BULLET"

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

exploded mummy posted:

places like "WHY WOULD YOU LET THEM EAT THAT" or "WHO WOULD BUILD A GUN ROBOT THAT FIRES ITS PILOT IN A BULLET"

Isn't the answer to both "Citan"?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Xenogears is a loving masterpiece.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

exploded mummy posted:

"WHO WOULD BUILD A GUN ROBOT THAT FIRES ITS PILOT IN A BULLET"

In the years since that LP I don't think I've seen anything in a video game top this level of stupidity.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
You will notice that all the later insanity, plus the general getting used to certain anime weirdness, far and above eclipses the fact that there was a working desert submarine large enough to have a giant robot hangar for multiple bots, that later was retrofitted to fly.

Episode CXLVI: Elation

The Dark Id posted:

I reward for Rank C’s completion...are a bunch of worthless chips

You all boys need to come up with some new material.

one of those dweebs that buts into the conversation

Meanwhile, the Champion as an Axe type with a red cape

This Level 85 enemies actually comes packing a unique attack as well.

First one is either "Our reward...is" or "Our rewards...are"

Episode CXLVII: Revealing

The Dark Id posted:

Now hearing it is beneath the Amusement Park, they meant that elevator down to the former Umbrella Labs

Guessing there should be a "you probably thought" in there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

"WHO WOULD BUILD A GUN ROBOT THAT FIRES ITS PILOT IN A BULLET"

SO LONG SKORPEX!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Zagglezig posted:

You will notice that all the later insanity, plus the general getting used to certain anime weirdness, far and above eclipses the fact that there was a working desert submarine large enough to have a giant robot hangar for multiple bots, that later was retrofitted to fly.

And then it combines with the Kislev's Palace to form an even bigger Gear to fight exactly one battle against an overgrown pincushion.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Jagged Jim posted:

And then it combines with the Kislev's Palace to form an even bigger Gear to fight exactly one battle against an overgrown pincushion.

Almost but not quite. An entire loving city district Metroplex's it up, and uses the previous ship as a loving machine gun.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

The whole game is more biblical than the bible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dancingbears posted:

Isn't the answer to both "Citan"?

The best part of that LP was the long list of terrible things Citan did or caused over the course of the game :allears:.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Zomborgon posted:

Can't be sure about legitimacy, but they did appear to do it in ~5 minutes on Very Hard. Always in B-Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpvvUiiCDI

I haven't played in some months, but from what I can recall it seems plausibly legit. Stacking b-mode with constant taunting, plus the max-efficiency +8 chip loadout (weapon attack+, crit+, taunt+) and crit+ weaponry would probably generate numbers absurd enough to close a 30-level deficit. The player also chains p-shields to reduce random risk in melee. On paper, this seems solid.

Of course, there are a couple of close calls in there that border on miraculous, discussed in the comments (like soaking a bullet on basically the same frame as landing a hit). Clearly even in the best case there's still a heavy element of luck.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 12, 2018

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That person did it again even faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwK-yxcJxaY

The first seven seconds of the fight is just like my japanese animes :allears:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of that LP was the long list of terrible things Citan did or caused over the course of the game :allears:.

the game flows significantly better if you assume that doc's taking the role of Old Testament Satan

guy who's on the side of good, sure, but literally his job is to say "hey, you wanna go do some crimes? let's do some crimes"

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Ze Pollack posted:

the game flows significantly better if you assume that doc's taking the role of Old Testament Satan

guy who's on the side of good, sure, but literally his job is to say "hey, you wanna go do some crimes? let's do some crimes"

That's not really even an accident. Say the name out loud a few times.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

I mean, one of the core themes of Drakenier is that completionism is bullshit. The "do absolutely everything" ending in every game is some manner of "gently caress you", either a janky rhythm battle followed by the most confusing and unsatisfying of all endings (Drakengard 1 & 3) or literally deleting your entire save file just for a flower on the title screen (Nier). It's only logical that the reward for relentless completionism in the DLC is an arena battle that's only winnable in the academic sense. Like, the "you-know-who" fight that mysteriously appeared is probably just :yokotaro: laughing at you and then you instantly die while he calls you a lame tryhard and then the DLC uninstalls itself. That or Shade/Gestalt Emil who turns out to be the original Emil and he dies for real and it's all your fault.

I won't say anything about the content of that fight, other than that it's less Bullshit than the S rank. But that's a bit like jumping on top of a frag grenade is less destructive to you than being in an atomic blast. True, but meaningless.

CmdrKing posted:

That's not really even an accident. Say the name out loud a few times.

He is absolutely the Shaitan of the party. The C is even supposed to be pronounced like SH. He's on your side, but he is there to test you all the same. He's a great dickish technical good guy.

alexminor
Feb 22, 2011

apocalypticCritic posted:

The whole game is more biblical than the bible.

It was just doing the popular japanese theme of grabbing religious iconography thry didn't understand and tossing it it. The more you understand the source the wlss the game makes sense.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

alexminor posted:

It was just doing the popular japanese theme of grabbing religious iconography thry didn't understand and tossing it it. The more you understand the source the wlss the game makes sense.

I seem to remember it being a relatively decent retelling of Gnosticism, actually. Or at least I have a vague recollection of a poster in the LP thread saying so, it's been a while.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ryushikaze posted:

He is absolutely the Shaitan of the party. The C is even supposed to be pronounced like SH. He's on your side, but he is there to test you all the same. He's a great dickish technical good guy.

Isn't he also head and shoulders above everyone else in that game stats-wise? I seem to remember him being ridiculously powerful compared to the others, especially early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

DeathSandwich posted:

Isn't he also head and shoulders above everyone else in that game stats-wise? I seem to remember him being ridiculously powerful compared to the others, especially early on.

Citan is absolutely one of the most powerful characters in the game, and around the time the rest of the party catches up, he picks up a sword.

• Locked thread