Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

r u ready to WALK posted:

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice....

yeah i don't understand why did he buy the second surface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

complaining about how terrible your surface branded pc is, is like complaining about how much your balls hurt when you smash them with a mallet. you're not wrong, but the solution is pretty obvious

smash them with two mallets?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

complaining about how terrible your surface branded pc is, is like complaining about how much your balls hurt when you smash them with a mallet. you're not wrong, but the solution is pretty obvious

Get a bigger more expensive hammer?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
buy a newer, spikier mallet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hmm... every single generation of hardware released under this brand has had major reliability issues, for six years running. i'm feeling lucky this time though

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

surf ace books 2 tweets

Is the Surface team at microsoft like the itunes team at apple? That is, idiots.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hmm... every single generation of hardware released under this brand has had major reliability issues, for six years running. i'm feeling lucky this time though

no crossposting from the anroid thread please

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i'm sure he's a mench, but buying an overpriced gimmick PC from a company whose computers have been 100% consistently POS trash fires since they started selling computers six years ago, and then complaining that it is in fact a POS trash fire, doesn't speak to technical competence
and then he bought a second one lmfao

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, that i don’t get. ok, your gimmick laptop doesn’t work, you need something you can travel with right away before you get the first replaced or whatever. why do you get another of the exact same expensive gimmick laptop instead of some dumb $500 clunker that at least reliably boots?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

yeah, that i don’t get. ok, your gimmick laptop doesn’t work, you need something you can travel with right away before you get the first replaced or whatever. why do you get another of the exact same expensive gimmick laptop instead of some dumb $500 clunker that at least reliably boots?

Seems that the trip is to a Microsoft Windows Insider event, so maybe he actually needs an SB2?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"ow, my balls!" - man rushing to ball smashers' industry insiders event

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

Seems that the trip is to a Microsoft Windows Insider event, so maybe he actually needs an SB2?
can you explain your reasoning here

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fiedler posted:

should've brought a macbook

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

anthonypants posted:

On further consideration I've determined that there is no circumstance in which one actually needs a Surface Book 2.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

windows build 1709: turning off ads in the start menu by gpo is now reserved for enterprise sku only. if you had that gpo set in pro, we've re-enabled them for you.

p.s. unless you've completely disabled the user's ability to personalize the start menu, we've cleared all the pinned apps and re-pinned all our promoted bullshit in its place.

p.p.s. we've also helpfully reset all your customized app defaults

p.p.p.s. gently caress you

- microsoft

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

windows build 1709: turning off ads in the start menu by gpo is now reserved for enterprise sku only. if you had that gpo set in pro, we've re-enabled them for you.

p.s. unless you've completely disabled the user's ability to personalize the start menu, we've cleared all the pinned apps and re-pinned all our promoted bullshit in its place.

p.p.s. we've also helpfully reset all your customized app defaults

p.p.p.s. gently caress you

- microsoft

that does not sound like my 1709 experience

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's kinda random

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anthonypants posted:

it's kinda random

it is, and any, all, or none of those things might happen on any given workstation. see if you can guess why this might be unwanted behaviour in a managed environment

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

anthonypants posted:

Because sites like Windows Central are basically MS promotion sites, I mean yeah they'll give critique and gripes to a degree but it's the usual 'tech journalism'

https://twitter.com/gcaweir/status/962761464540000256

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Because sites like Windows Central are basically MS promotion sites, I mean yeah they'll give critique and gripes to a degree but it's the usual 'tech journalism'

https://twitter.com/gcaweir/status/962761464540000256
last i checked you can still buy the xps 13/15 from the microsoft store, and it even doubles as a functional laptop

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it is, and any, all, or none of those things might happen on any given workstation. see if you can guess why this might be unwanted behaviour in a managed environment

yeah i can deffo understand the annoyances this must if you are responsible for managing poo poo, especially for non-techies. im just glad my home computer is still ad-free and cortana-free

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I've meet Dan Rubino at BUILD twice. Super nice guy, and out of all the writers there the one I like to read as he attempts criticism, but sometimes you know your audience and they just won't have it. But yeah, it's 'tech journalism'.

Jason Ward's "editorials" are the best, they're usually quite long, don't have a real point until the last paragraph, and often are contradictions of something he just wrote, even in the same week.

And RE: Surface Book

I have one, 50% of the time it doesn't sleep when I close the lid. Apparently the Surface Laptop doesn't have this problem but :lol: I ain't rollin' the dice on that.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

should've brought a macbook

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

"ow, my balls!" - man rushing to ball smashers' industry insiders event

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i had ads re-enabled in the start menu, "sometimes suggestions" my rear end, but didn't have a start menu full of minecrafts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

i had ads re-enabled in the start menu, "sometimes suggestions" my rear end, but didn't have a start menu full of minecrafts

im really glad i shelled out for pro version for new home pc, i dont think i even had minecrafts or candy crushes to start with. still had to disable all the suggestion jazz and poo poo on first configuration, however

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im really glad i shelled out for pro version for new home pc, i dont think i even had minecrafts or candy crushes to start with. still had to disable all the suggestion jazz and poo poo on first configuration, however

pro sku now does duolingo, some code editor, and photoshop express oob

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Drastic Actions posted:

Jason Ward's "editorials" are the best, they're usually quite long, don't have a real point until the last paragraph, and often are contradictions of something he just wrote, even in the same week.
CERTIFIED Wardatorial!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

anthonypants posted:

it's kinda random

so like the search results

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if its vs code thats okay but

so like the search results

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

iirc it's not, but also, gently caress bundleware. at no point should the pro sku be auto installing any third party software

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

had none, was setting up a fresh new computer a month ago

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you can download a free windows development vm from microsoft and it comes with vs community and a bunch of junk for developing on windows, which is cool, but it also comes bundled with all that crap

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

iirc it's not, but also, gently caress bundleware. at no point should the pro sku be auto installing any third party software

but then how would people learn about the great benefits of the Microsoft Store, and all those UWP app(s) available for download?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and by "had none" i mean that im 100% sure i had none of those, though it may have to do with region being set to latvia now that i think of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

though it may have to do with region being set to latvia now that i think of it

it's 100% this. be glad you live somewhere no one will pay microsoft to advertise to

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
he spent 90 minutes angrily tweeting about that stupid laptop until the battery died, when even a senior citizen could find the answer with a quick search

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wouldn't it just be more efficient just to wrap it in a towel and beat it against another surface of some kind?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Last Chance posted:

wouldn't it just be more efficient just to wrap it in a towel and beat it against another surface?

that would solve two problems instead of zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

preferably your own head