Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Safety Factor posted:

Behold, the Awuu Pattern Bolt Pistol:

FW has said, repeatedly, that this poo poo was intentional. It's limited to a Space Wolf upgrade set so it won't impact most people, but it's still dumb as hell. Space Wolf fans are extremely vocal and their releases have not gone the way they'd like.

Holy poo poo. That's amazing.

TTerrible posted:

Also while 7th has its issues I maintain that a lot of 40ks problems were generated by the army lists rather than the core. :shobon:

Nah, the core for 7th was pretty bad. It didn't really fix any of the glaring issues from 6th (psychic phase is still awful and doesn't scale well at all!), True LoS is and always has been garbage,and rolling in Apocalypse material into the core just lead to a lot of D-weapons being thrown around, among other fun-killing issues. It was like 2nd edition all over again, and not in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Behold, the Awuu Pattern Bolt Pistol:

FW has said, repeatedly, that this poo poo was intentional. It's limited to a Space Wolf upgrade set so it won't impact most people, but it's still dumb as hell. Space Wolf fans are extremely vocal and their releases have not gone the way they'd like.

I still cannot believe they doubled-down on that being intentional.

And yes, 30k thread is good. No one plays around me that I can tell but that hasn't stopped me planning out and beginning my historical space mans build thanks to that thread.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I had actually read Warhammer Historicals Great War.

It's like archeotech of milhist games, and it has a supplement that's literally impossible to find.

I guess it doesn't help that 1914 lists are basically "everyone's a Guardsman forever"

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Just wanted to say that I don't play 30k, but this is a loving sweet looking squad. One of the coolest I've seen. Great job.

I have been prepping my Orlock and Goliath gangs (converted pre-Necromunda reboot) for painting. While I'm technically happy with the conversions I did, I have to say my enthusiasm for them has really been damped by seeing the top quality new plastic kits, and the upcoming FW weapon packs. Still have to crack on and finish them before I consider buying any more models.

I did pre-order Gang War 2, the Orlock cards and (jesus I'm such a patsy) the Orlock dice. They were too shiny. I justify it to myself by saying it's my solemn duty to support new-cromunda financially, so they will keep making stuff for it. Really wish there was a complete, better-edited compendium including all 6 core gangs though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

Holy poo poo. That's amazing.

Nah, the core for 7th was pretty bad. It didn't really fix any of the glaring issues from 6th (psychic phase is still awful and doesn't scale well at all!), True LoS is and always has been garbage,and rolling in Apocalypse material into the core just lead to a lot of D-weapons being thrown around, among other fun-killing issues. It was like 2nd edition all over again, and not in a good way.

Meh, I'll take it over 8th any day. The fact that the 40k thread is pretty much a stream of "I've never actually played the game but I've made this spreadsheet..." reinforces it was a good decision to flee to 30k.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

30k goes a long way to fixing some of those complaints.
- The psychic phase is almost non-existent as most armies don't bother with psykers at all. Even if they do, a normal marine army is limited to two librarians, max. (Thousand Sons completely hosed this up because that's kind of their thing and Magnus is broke as hell)
- Super Heavies/Lords of War aren't even allowed until 2000 points. Even then, they're limited to 25% of the total. A 625 point Glaive, for example, can't even see the table until 2500 points when an opponent is more likely to have the tools to deal with it.
- List building was a big issue in 7th edition 40k and 30k thankfully never fell down the formation hole. There are ways to alter your army composition, but you're still stuck with the basic FOC. Allies are allowed and there's a whole matrix of who's friendly with whom, but they are limited to a smaller FOC and many army builds disallow them entirely. Most armies are mono-faction

Are there changes I'd like to see? Yes, absolutely. In particular, I'd love to see the 8th edition AP and cover mechanics ported over. I have always hated cover saves and have always thought cover should provide minuses to hit like WHFB. 8th's +1 to a model's save isn't perfect, but it's definitely better. I also prefer armor modifiers to straight-up go/no go. I like 8th well enough, but I've got some issues with it too like casualty allocation, leadership, and how characters are handled. Ideally, I'd like a hybrid of the two rather than a straight port to 8th edition.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Meh, I'll take it over 8th any day. The fact that the 40k thread is pretty much a stream of "I've never actually played the game but I've made this spreadsheet..." reinforces it was a good decision to flee to 30k.

That's just some of the new posters who are back for 8th. The game itself is a ton of fun. I can't really speak to competive play but I've been playing a few games a month at my FLGS and have truly enjoyed every single game.

I don't want to poo poo this thread up too much with an off-topic debate but it really is worth a shot. That being said 30k also looks really fun and I'd love to get into it if I had a local scene or if my budget could support it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pendent posted:

That's just some of the new posters who are back for 8th. The game itself is a ton of fun. I can't really speak to competive play but I've been playing a few games a month at my FLGS and have truly enjoyed every single game.

I don't want to poo poo this thread up too much with an off-topic debate but it really is worth a shot. That being said 30k also looks really fun and I'd love to get into it if I had a local scene or if my budget could support it.

I played 2-3 games of 8th when it dropped and kept up with new releases for the first month or so. I really, really dislike it on a fundamental level. It doesn't help that I hate the design of pretty much everything GW have put out for 40k since mid 7th :shobon:

..but yes. Sorry SG thread. 30k 4eva, etc.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

30k goes a long way to fixing some of those complaints.

I'm sure it does, but as I've dropped 40k entirely, I don't intend on ever playing 30k either. The closest I think I'd get to playing a GW game at this point is Epic, which does the large-scale stuff 40k has been trying to do for years now in a much better fashion.

I do still like the 30k AdMech though. Nice models.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

What are people's thoughts about Necromunda as a core game experience? Does it play well with just the included board and scenarios?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
40k and 30k goons please stop posting about those games in the only thread where we can talk about our weird dead grog games tia

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Booyah- posted:

What are people's thoughts about Necromunda as a core game experience? Does it play well with just the included board and scenarios?

It plays fine with the board, I don't think it's necessary to buy 3d terrain unless you really want to. I do think the main pull of Necromunda though is in the campaign system, and that's all in the Gang war supplement(s). These update and override some of the equipment, skills, stats etc in the core book. So unless you only want to play Escher and Goliath gangs, without any campaign progression, you probably want the extra book.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Here are the pictures I mentioned in my Battlefleet Gothic sale post last page :capitalism::

Left to right: Sodium, Gimmick, Domino, Rumor. Done except for the bases!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Just wanted to say that I don't play 30k, but this is a loving sweet looking squad. One of the coolest I've seen. Great job.

Thank you! :3: Breachers are what got me into 30k; that’s the first squad I painted for my Sons of Horus and it’s still my favorite. I put so much love into them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Lol, plus the bayonette lug is above the barrel. It's kind of a fantastic disaster.

I'm assuming that's the gas tube - you wouldn't put a bayonet lug on a pistol. If it's like a real weapon, that's what forces gas back into the receiver and chamber and operates the bolt and cycles the next round.

But we're talking about a world where there are ejector ports for caseless, rocket propelled ammo.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm assuming that's the gas tube - you wouldn't put a bayonet lug on a pistol. If it's like a real weapon, that's what forces gas back into the receiver and chamber and operates the bolt and cycles the next round.

But we're talking about a world where there are ejector ports for caseless, rocket propelled ammo.
Because I just finished Dark Imperium; there is a sentence in there describing a bolt round being fired as three bangs.
The first bang launches the bolt, the second bang is the bolt's internal propellant igniting, and the third being the explosive payload detonating inside the target.

From that, and the fact that bolt weapons are shown with ejection ports, I'd argue that a bolt round is more than just a gyrojet.
A complete bolt shell is first launched like a traditional bullet (albeit a huge one), with the gyrojet component starting up once the shell has cleared the barrel, presumably to avoid overheating.

Doing it like that avoids the biggest weaknesses the real life gyrojet had - it's useless at point blank range since the round haven't had time to accelerate to a meaningful velocity yet, and you wouldn't need several exhaust nozzles at precise angles to spin stabilise the round, as spin could be induced with a rifled barrel.
:goonsay:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

berzerkmonkey posted:

...you wouldn't put a bayonet lug on a pistol.
Perhaps you wouldn't put a bayonet lug on a pistol, but that's because you're not "grimdark as gently caress." Stabbing someone as you're shooting them seems like a particularly Space marine thing to do.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I mean Calgar have been lugging around power fists with built-in bolters for ages so that he can punch and shoot someone at the same time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I feel like there was some character whose entire thing was a pair of bladed pistols, but honestly it doesn't even rank on the list of insane things that are just accepted wisdom in 40k, like putting a flamethrower on your chainsaw, of cathedrals on battle robots.

At least pistols combined with knives is a thing that actually existed, even if only as a novelty.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ilor posted:

Perhaps you wouldn't put a bayonet lug on a pistol, but that's because you're not "grimdark as gently caress." Stabbing someone as you're shooting them seems like a particularly Space marine thing to do.

I accept my shame at not being GDAF. I'll accept my punishment of Fulgrim's Pear now.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Groetgaffel posted:

Yep. The regular 28mm heads are way to small, but the heroic size is a perfect fit for GW dudes.

Sweet, thanks! Mine turned up today, pretty impressed with the turnaround on that.

I asked for advice in this thread before (thanks ineptmule!) but as I'm finally starting a Necromunda campaign tomorrow, how does this look?

Leader: Power Sword, Laspistol, Combi-Weapon (Boltgun/Needle Rifle), Flak Armour, Overseer
Champion: Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Frag Grenades, Flak Armour, Spring Up*
Champion: Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Flak Armour, Rain of Blows
2 x Ganger: Lasgun, Flak Armour
1 x Ganger: Autogun, Flak Armour
1 x Ganger: Stiletto Sword, Autopistol, Chem-synth, Flak Armour
1 x Juve: Laspistol
1 x Juve: Autopistol

* I wanted Gunfighter but you can only take that if you're not using the campaign rules.

The auto* stuff is so I can get a taste of Rapid Fire and because I think all las-weapons is pretty dull.

Also would anybody be interested in a match report for the Blood Bowl final I was involved in? Necromantic vs. High Elves.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

Sweet, thanks! Mine turned up today, pretty impressed with the turnaround on that.

I asked for advice in this thread before (thanks ineptmule!) but as I'm finally starting a Necromunda campaign tomorrow, how does this look?

Leader: Power Sword, Laspistol, Combi-Weapon (Boltgun/Needle Rifle), Flak Armour, Overseer
Champion: Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Frag Grenades, Flak Armour, Spring Up*
Champion: Power Sword, Plasma Pistol, Flak Armour, Rain of Blows
2 x Ganger: Lasgun, Flak Armour
1 x Ganger: Autogun, Flak Armour
1 x Ganger: Stiletto Sword, Autopistol, Chem-synth, Flak Armour
1 x Juve: Laspistol
1 x Juve: Autopistol

* I wanted Gunfighter but you can only take that if you're not using the campaign rules.

The auto* stuff is so I can get a taste of Rapid Fire and because I think all las-weapons is pretty dull.

Also would anybody be interested in a match report for the Blood Bowl final I was involved in? Necromantic vs. High Elves.

You need a Ganger for every non-Ganger. I’d drop the pistol off the Leader, then drop one of the power or stiletto swords, then the frags or chem-synth depending on what else was cut.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 12, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Sulecrist posted:

You need a Ganger for every non-Ganger. I’d drop the pistol off the Leader, then drop one of the power or stiletto swords, then the frags or chem-synth depending on what else was cut.

Alternatively, drop a Juve. I like the power sword/plasma pistol set up on Champions.

Personally I found Step Aside to be an insanely strong skill on an Escher champ with a sword as she gets a parry AND a 2+ save against one hit. Wouldn’t hesitate to take that on both of them, and to use them as my CC assassins. I agree with the use of a strong ranged weapon on the leader - she’s really valuable and risking her in CC is scary.

Development wise I think you probably want at least one CC backup for each champion, so that you can use them to group activate and coordinate charges of their own, so a second CC focused ganger would be my first new hire. I’d then get the second Juve after hopefully a couple of decent income boosts from your first couple of games.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 12, 2018

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah, Step Aside and Spring Up are both really good. Not necessarily TOO good, just that Dodge is kind of lovely imho and the other Agility skills are pretty mediocre in Zone Mortalis. Many of the Combat skills would be better by comparison if toxin weapons weren’t underpowered.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Toxin just sucks. I didn’t even realise that you have to wound the target first until today. If you did the 2D6 vs. T+D6 instead of rolling to wound it would have a niche but as it is I can’t see a use for it.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

glitchkrieg posted:

Always interested in this.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Toxin just sucks. I didn’t even realise that you have to wound the target first until today. If you did the 2D6 vs. T+D6 instead of rolling to wound it would have a niche but as it is I can’t see a use for it.

It’d definitely help, but that’s already basically what Gas does.

I think if Toxin caused Serious Injury, instead of making the target Seriously Injured, and if stiletto knives got Backstab and stiletto swords got the +1 to hit that knives have, then I’d seriously consider taking both.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
This thread definitely needs more painted space dollies.

So here's my Goliaths, The Compact Kings.

Big size

They run the trash compactors and incinerators in the underhive. Serendipitously, there's actually a compactor tile in the new set coming out. Can't wait to toss some chumps into it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Enentol posted:

Big size

They run the trash compactors and incinerators in the underhive. Serendipitously, there's actually a compactor tile in the new set coming out. Can't wait to toss some chumps into it.

These are outstanding. I like them better than the official ones.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Enentol posted:

Big size

These are great, think I may steal the hazard stripes on the bases for mine!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lobster God posted:

Hazard stripes go on everything. Especially chainswords.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lobster God posted:

Yeah now that I see those I realize I made bad decisions. They look fantastic.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Dang, you guys certainly know how to make a dude feel good about his work! :)

Gonna be playing my first games on the weekend of the 24th. Stupidly excited. Will try to snap some pictures.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Those are insane dude. I scrolled past them to begin with because I thought it was a GW marketing photo. Great stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

Hazard stripes go on everything. Especially chainswords.

What I love now, and especially being a couple of Facebook groups, is that all of the guys who grew up with Warhammer in the 90s have gotten older and better at painting and they're reviving the 90s aesthetic with modern sensibilities. There's some really great work that pops up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Even though I am a sucker for the rainbow-mohawk look, I have to say those are some sweet looking Goliaths. You did a really nice job working with a dark palette.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I loathe the "new GW" aesthetic (with everyone having huge feet and teeny-tiny heads), but even I must admit that those are some sweet Goliath-mans. And the hazard-stripe bases are particularly good.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Enentol posted:

Big size

Yeah, these are awesome. You took a color scheme that would actually be realistic for the environment and made it look really, really good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Enentol posted:

Big size

All around well done. I like the head stubble particularly.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I played my first game of Necromunda last night. Does anybody else think the way they've handled multi-wounding weapons is bullshit? It means they're equally powerful against multi-wound models as they are against models with only one wound. Increased toughness is way more useful than multiple wounds, especially with the way flesh wounds are resolved now.

And in the rush to embrace group activations, they seem to have missed one massive reason why Frostgrave has two ways of handling them, as well as breaking the way combat used to work in the old edition - you now have to charge in one at a time, so the first person charging misses out on the assist bonus.

I had an enjoyable game, and I don't want to sound like an old grognard about the new rules, but those really stood out as missteps.

hexa fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I see your points and I agree with the combat/activation point in particular. My group is very Grog-y about Oldamunda and is considering reverting to the old combat system entirely, as there doesn’t seem to be any reason why it wouldn’t work in the new framework.

You also could easily say that Group activations allow you to execute your activated fighters actions in any order, so that you could charge both in before rolling combat or whatever.

As for multiple damage - I don’t see why it’s a bad thing that this is more dangerous to single wound targets? That was a thing in Oldamunda also. Or is your concern that the greater availability of multiple damage weapons makes having multiple wounds less valuable?