Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

I have pride in the FF fanbase for believing in more clothes.

Please consider donating your time to give a poor FF character much-needed clothing to hide their Nomura-endorsed shame.
hey Nomura did some pretty okay designs for Xenoblade 2, pants and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly though, if people figure out a way to mod FFXII there are a bunch of little things that could be done to improve the game. Here's hoping!

Tae posted:

I am shocked, shocked I tell you that the person that designed Fran also designed 2B
they specialize, huh? :tutbutt:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Xenoblade 2 has pants!?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh yeah, xenoblade chronicles 2, a game noted for its good character design

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

owns

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Your Computer posted:

Holy crap! I am 99% sure that back is at an exact 90 degree angle. If you made the lower back longer and added legs at the front, you could turn her into a centaur

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
more like

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Your Computer posted:

Most of the designs in that game are complete poo poo but the two characters Nomura designed aren't that egregious.

Your Computer posted:

they specialize, huh? :tutbutt:

Akihiko Yoshida is a man who knows what he likes. And what he likes are butts. And hips.

In any case I think he's a genuinely good artist, and have thought so since FF Tactics (noses or no noses).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 12, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I would not have thought the guy who designed A2 would be the same guy who did Bravely Default's characters. They seem just world's apart, so that's kind of awesome.

Your Computer posted:

Hey, Rob Liefeld's still getting work I see

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Your Computer posted:

...hey, I said specifically Nomura's, I'm not defending that poo poo (or Floren or the weird furry one whose name I forget)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

Akihiko Yoshida is a man who knows what he likes. And what he likes are butts. And hips.

In any case I think he's a genuinely good artist, and have thought so since FF Tactics (noses or no noses).

Oh dang, that's right it's him. His drawings are very distinctive (noses or no noses :v:) and yeah, he's genuinely good. I remember really falling in love with his chibi style in the Final Fantasy III DS release:

and then of course everything Bravely Default :swoon: Also found this potato in the google image search

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lalafell are just chibis that have to interact with non-chibis

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey, Rob Liefeld's still getting work I see

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I got in the 8000s on FFXV's very sensible benchmark system of a...12000 scale?

code:
12000 or greater	Extremely High	The game will run exceedingly well. A high frame rate is possible and even richer graphical settings can be used.
9000 to 11999		Very High	You can expect the game to run very comfortably. A high frame rate is possible and even higher quality graphical settings can be used.
6000 to 8999		High		You can expect the game to run comfortably. It should run smoothly, even at higher graphics settings.
4500 to 5999		Fairly High	A standard level of performance can be expected. Adjustments to the graphics settings are recommended if possible.
3000 to 4499		Standard	A standard level of performance can be expected.
2500 to 2999		Slightly Low	It is possible to play the game, but you may experience a burden on processing when performing some actions. 
					Adjustments to the graphics settings are recommended.
2000 to 2499		Low		It is possible to play the game, but all actions will feel sluggish overall. There is a chance that the performance may improve with
					adjustments to the graphics settings or display resolution.
0 to 1999		Insufficient	The system does not meet the minimum requirements to run the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

speaking of which

https://twitter.com/RevolverUnit/status/962977588799877120

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Let us play as PSOne Cindy.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm dying

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat, so Randy Stein really wasn't lying back in seventh grade when he said they were already up to FF15 in Japan.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Prompto needs another hit

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Saint Freak posted:

I got in the 8000s on FFXV's very sensible benchmark system of a...12000 scale?

There are some bugs with the benchmark which might cause your recommendation to be higher than what you'll need for the actual game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

So is Prompto.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Besides, everyone knows FF12 is Star Wars, so your important characters are obviously Vaan (Luke), Ashe (Leia), and Balthier (Han).

The story treats Vaan like he's Luke when he's actually C3PO, with Penelo as his R2-D2 straight man. In addition to serving as an audience viewpoint and comic relief, as commoners they also act as a Greek chorus (when commenting outside of the main plot) and are ultimately critical to the plot due to being willing to ask blunt, stupid questions like "what if we don't spit on your husband's grave by crystal nuking New York at the behest of space alien ghosts."

I don't think people would have as much of a problem if the game was more willing to treat Vaan as one character in a larger ensemble cast.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Microcline posted:

The story treats Vaan like he's Luke when he's actually C3PO, with Penelo as his R2-D2 straight man. In addition to serving as an audience viewpoint and comic relief, as commoners they also act as a Greek chorus (when commenting outside of the main plot) and are ultimately critical to the plot due to being willing to ask blunt, stupid questions like "what if we don't spit on your husband's grave by crystal nuking New York at the behest of space alien ghosts."

I don't think people would have as much of a problem if the game was more willing to treat Vaan as one character in a larger ensemble cast.
FF12s main story success is casting Vaan as a chorus/audience foil at which point I think the critical response is a disconnect where who is initially recognized as a shounen protagonist is actually a single character in a larger ensemble cast.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is my jam

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

imagine loving anything as much as Akihiko Yoshida loves thighs

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Microcline posted:

The problem is that everyone applies this logic to Vaan when, by ten hours in, this is the ENTIRE party. Everyone's background noise past Eyrut unless they're the character getting their specific character beat with Ashe, are getting their specific subplot dumped on them, or are Ashe. Fran, Basch, Balthier- nobody who isn't Ashe is immune to this but because Vaan is the poster boy, people take it out on him despite the fact the's the second most relevant party member in the plot past the opening, the face of nearly all the sidequests, and serves as both an effective viewpoint and foil to Ashe's story since he's basically going through a very similar thing but handles his poo poo a lot better.

There's even a real narrative reason we're given Vaan as our PoV- the plot and tone of the game just doesn't work if we're in Ashe's head instead. The entire tone of the story changes as we move from a character who copes with their grief and comes to recognize that someone else is increasingly incapable of doing the same to lurking in the head OF said character who's being tormented by her loss and stuck in a feedback loop of grief thanks to the Occuria.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For FFXII, is there a decent gambit to set up so that a character will cast protect and/or shell on everyone at the beginning of a fight, and then not do it again until the spells wear off?

I googled it, and didn't quite find a satisfactory answer, but I did find this

What is it that compels gamers to talk like this

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ainsley McTree posted:

For FFXII, is there a decent gambit to set up so that a character will cast protect and/or shell on everyone at the beginning of a fight, and then not do it again until the spells wear off?

Well man forum posts are finite and if they all get used up for gambits it's going to limit the number that can be used to worship Fran's rear end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Well man forum posts are finite and if they all get used up for gambits it's going to limit the number that can be used to worship Fran's rear end.

Funny you should mention that,

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't post on the GameFAQs forums. Just don't do it, the few sane people there are not worth the thousands upon thousands of idiots that post there.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ally Any > Your Buff will do exactly what you want. The AI is smart enough to not reapply buffs/ debuffs on things that already have them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Don't post on the GameFAQs forums. Just don't do it, the few sane people there are not worth the thousands upon thousands of idiots that post there.

Oh I don't, it's just what turned up in a google search.

OneDeadman posted:

Ally Any > Your Buff will do exactly what you want. The AI is smart enough to not reapply buffs/ debuffs on things that already have them.

Oh! Well that's real simple then, thank you, and nobody in that thread seemed to know it, Raxivace's theory seems confirmed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I popped in to make a post but now I'm catching up on this page and for real what the goddamn hell is this

come on

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Assless chaps improve shouting capabilities

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
assless chaps enable you to control the dark without being corrupted. that thing there is just a leather outer-thong

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OneDeadman posted:

Similarly, Ally: Any > Vox or other cleanse will only cast it if they have the status ailment.

In the vein of FF12 questions, I noticed that in Zodiac every job has 4 quickening slots that have fixed costs. Can a character still only get 3 of them?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 13, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Lalafell are just chibis that have to interact with non-chibis
they're amazing and the game lets you make them so goddamn tiny :kimchi:

they also look great in armor

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Assless chaps improve shouting capabilities
I approve of this idea.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ainsley McTree posted:

The programmers I work with are exactly like this, and the answer is "the yawning maw of insecurity, held off temporarily by trying to be smarter than other people"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Your Computer posted:

they're amazing and the game lets you make them so goddamn tiny :kimchi:

Counterpoint: the amount you can trust a potato is inversely proportional to how far you can throw them, and it doesn't go above 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
In general gambits don't fire unless they will actually have an effect.

Also for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Great Crystal it actually seemed really simple? waystones come in pairs (N, N-1). the lower the number, the closer it is to the end of the dungeon. between every pair of waystones is a locked gate and a switch to unlock it.

search for a switch, flip the switch, corresponding star sign gate is now open.
then search for a waystone, if the waystone number is lower than any you've encountered yet, take the waystone.
repeat until you're done.

apparently getting all your maps disabled is enough to make some peoples' brains shut down though.