Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching some Daitarn 3 on the side and one of the Meganoid villains of the week is just straight up James Dean, and a movie producer tricks Banjo into fighting and killing him in order to shoot a snuff film remake of Star Wars.

That's kind of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/VF5SS/status/941046807987130368

Oh lord

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schneider Heim posted:

Captain rear end was really mediocre and I suffered through the whole thing, which really hurt because I enjoyed Star Driver despite all its faults.

Seriously, Captain Earth is one of the most disappointing nothing shows I've devoted an entire watch to. It manages to almost completely waste decent character concepts and fantastic mechanical design and has one of the most boring final resolutions possible.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Seriously, Captain Earth is one of the most disappointing nothing shows I've devoted an entire watch to. It manages to almost completely waste decent character concepts and fantastic mechanical design and has one of the most boring final resolutions possible.

Pretty much the only character thing I liked was the rear end in a top hat agent from earlier in the show when he shows up again towards then end giving that line of "I don't like you, I loving HATE you, but if you're REALLY the real deal you say you are then save my family and save the world"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

New Mecha Thread let's take today and remember not our families, but how Jonathan Glenn never got any Christmas presents.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New PV for Fafner the Beyond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRgMLIseD9k

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't know where they keep getting money from to make more Fafner, but as long as they keep making it I will keep watching it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Mazinger Infinity getting theatrical screenings for anybody interested.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been watching Daitarn 3 on the side for the last couple of months and finally got around to finishing it.

I was a little disappointed with how the show was almost entirely monster of the week stuff, seeming excessive in its reliance on that even compared to like Zambot 3 or Ideon. Luckily the characters themselves were fun, so I didn't mind too much... It just would have been nice if there was ever a little more going on.

The one kind of continuing thread through here is that at times Banjo's hatred of the Meganoids occasionally comes off as more racist than heroic in nature, refusing to acknowledge the humanity of his enemies as he kills them and they're crying about it or whatever (Except for some random episodes in the second half or so of the show where Banjo decides to let them live). It's by far the darkest part of an otherwise goofy show, and the greatest thematic connection Daitarn 3 has to its sister series Zambot 3 (Which had characters being on the other side of this kind of prejudice as a major theme). The idea sort of comes back in the final battle (The idea of Banjo himself possibly being some kind of Meganoid is even introduced), but I don't think it works very strongly and the whole episode is one of the weaker finales I've seen from Tomino. Everyone just kind of abandoning Banjo seems a little unmotivated too.

I had some fun with Daitarn 3 but it just wasn't a super successful series.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 6, 2018

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Did anybody else see this today? I'm gonna post about it in a little bit in the movie challenge thread, but it was fun!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just posted about it in there. as someone who doesn't really know Mazinger, it kinda sucked on all fronts except for looking nice and having a few good bits of action. also it made me think Great Mazinger is cooler than Z by several miles, dunno if that's common.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd be interested in reading what you thought of Infinity, although I'll admit that the trailers I saw really did not make it interesting.

dogsicle posted:

also it made me think Great Mazinger is cooler than Z by several miles, dunno if that's common.

It should be.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

i just posted about it in there. as someone who doesn't really know Mazinger, it kinda sucked on all fronts except for looking nice and having a few good bits of action.

yeah, I liked it a lot but it was 100% fanservice, I can definitely see how anyone unfamiliar wouldn't like it.

quote:

also it made me think Great Mazinger is cooler than Z by several miles, dunno if that's common.

this is accurate, yes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i didn't really have expectations going in, but i think i would've enjoyed the fights more if they were like the Asura/Brocken one. just throw a Mazin up against one or a few enemies rather than having 70% of the action just be decimating hordes of the cool weekly monsters from the original series.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mazinger Infinity was basically just an episode of the original show with significantly better animation.

I wasn't expecting much, but it delivered what it set out to do.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's the best way to get familiar with Mazinger? I feel like it's something I should see but I feel like there's an imposingly large number of adaptations of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

What's the best way to get familiar with Mazinger? I feel like it's something I should see but I feel like there's an imposingly large number of adaptations of it.

Go for Shin Mazinger. Just be aware that much like the manga it’s based off, it doesn’t really have much of an ending.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Muffinlord posted:

The only Mazingers I've seen are "Shin Mazinger", "Mazinkaiser" and "Mazinger SKL" and the only one of them I'd definitely recommend is "Shin Mazinger". It's an adaptation of the original manga by Imagawa of "G Gundam" and "Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still" fame, using a lot of Nagai's original characters because of rights issues or something if I recall and leans a little more in to the family melodrama of Kouji than many like but also gives the villains more presence and puts more emphasis on the background lore to the Mazingers than the original from my understanding. A lot of fans of the original weren't too happy because Imagawa put more emphasis on Kouji's family than they'd like, but I loved every second of it. It's got really strong action, a really compelling villain in Baron Ashura, the main cast are a lot of fun and even the narrator gets to have some cheesy fun during the show.

I watched "Mazinkaiser" almost straight off it's back and I think I may have done myself a disservice there, because it hews a lot closer to the original show. I found it quite dull personally, but I'm told it's a lot more rewarding for fans of the original show. I don't even remember the movie, which has Mazinkaiser dock mid air after being dropped from orbit and should be memorable on that alone, but apparently not.

"SKL" on the other hand is just a "Heavy Metal" cover brought to life, with the eponymous Mazinger engaging in almost nothing but fights for the entire run time, and silly weapons like a dragon head sword, gun kata and so on. It's dumb as poo poo, but I loved it for that reason and it's only 3 episodes long so it's no real harm in checking it out. I can't quite recommend it because there's no real story or anything, but it's still probably worth a look given it's short run time.

Other than that I don't think there's a huge amount of translated material anyway. I know there's the original show, but I'm not even sure if that's fully professionally subbed, rather than Hong Kong subbed. I'm pretty sure none of the other shows have been translated at this point, and most of them are AUs of various kinds, like God Mazinger which has a more fantasy setting and uses a power armor instead of a full blown mech I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm pretty sure the hk subs for mazinger have been wiped from the digital earth, and now your only option is more sensible fansubs :rip:

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thirding Shin Mazinger, that's one of my favorite shows.

The original show was released on DVD by Discotek a while back, and I think Great Mazinger is coming out some time this year. There were like two episodes of God Mazinger that were fansubbed ages ago, and if I remember right it was more of a living statue powered by the main character's soul type situation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tsob posted:

Other than that I don't think there's a huge amount of translated material anyway. I know there's the original show, but I'm not even sure if that's fully professionally subbed, rather than Hong Kong subbed. I'm pretty sure none of the other shows have been translated at this point, and most of them are AUs of various kinds, like God Mazinger which has a more fantasy setting and uses a power armor instead of a full blown mech I think.

The entirety of the original series has been professionally subbed by Discotek, and Great Mazinger has also been professionally subbed, although it has yet to be released (it will be by mid March, IIRC).

The original show was an immensely influential series, but it was also a very formula show that went on for some 91 episodes (147 you count Great Mazinger). Much of what it did was later done better by it's imitators. I wouldn't really recommend it accept to aficionados, especially because they're quite pricey.

I would recommend both Mazinkaiser and Shin Mazinger, but they each have their faults. Mazinkaiser makes the title robot powerful in a manner that's occasionally unsatisfying, and Shin Mazinger is very unevenly paced and Imagawa (the shows director) leans too heavily on obscurantism. None the less, they're both enjoyable shows.

I'd also recommend the manga, but since batoto went down I wouldn't know how to link it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is Shin the one up on Crunchyroll? I remember watching about two thirds of the first episode and being absolutely lost.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll fourth Shin Mazinger, but for the love of god, start on episode 2. Episode 1 is a mindscrew that doesn't make any sense even after watching the entire series and it's ignored completely by the rest.

Beyond that, the original manga is fully translated as is the Great Mazinger one but they've not aged well. You can read them, but at least I didn't find anything too interesting in them. I guess that's your fate when you started the entire genre.

tsob explained Mazinkaiser SKL very well but I actually do recommend it, because it's three episodes long so it won't take much of your time and it's hyper-violent as hell and it rocks. It has no story and when it tries to have it it does nothing with it (what was the point of the cloning thing again) but most of the time it's just pointlessly violent and that's very fun. Not as good as Shin though.

Shin Mazinger also has a manga...err...it also has a manga of nearly the same name but absolutely no connection with in Shin Mazinger Zero, which has far more fanservice and weird moments than it probably should but it also has a very good story and artwork. Sadly, the translation team seems to have completely died so I can't recommend it at least until someone else continues.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Muffinlord posted:

Is Shin the one up on Crunchyroll? I remember watching about two thirds of the first episode and being absolutely lost.

The first episode is basically a 30 minute long trailer that forecasts events that don't end up happening. Skip it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

The first episode is basically a 30 minute long trailer that forecasts events that don't end up happening. Skip it.

Except for the first scene which is the the ending of the series.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Schwarzwald posted:

I sorta believe that from what I saw. Thanks, everybody, I'll give it another shot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artum posted:

Yup, that's me, everybody's hero, Kouji Kabuto! You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Shin Mazinger largely falls flat but its not so long that it isn't worth taking a look at if you're already interested.

Artum posted:

I thought that was the first scene of the second episode.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, man, I watched that first episode and just totally tuned out. I'll give it another shot. at some point. Keep it in your pants, Imagawa.

I'm watching Vifam and GaoGaiGar right now, so I'm covered on both the Super and the Real fronts for a while.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The first ep of Shin is good.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The first episode was a lot of fun, in exchange for being a bit confusing and fooling you into making wrong assumptions about the story/characters involved.

Once you can watch the rest of Shin Mazinger to put those scenes in context, it all works quite well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'm pretty sure the hk subs for mazinger have been wiped from the digital earth, and now your only option is more sensible fansubs :rip:

They're on thehylia still. Godspeed

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The first episode is required viewing and if you s kip it you don't understand storytelling. Thanks

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A big reason the first episode is good is because it sets up certain expectations in your head because of all the anime you've watched before it. and then over the course of the series upends or meets those different expectations. It's also I think part of Imagawa's storytelling ideology that endings and knowing the facts of a story don't matter as much as experiencing the story directly, becaus ehe spoils a lot of the twists in that first episode but you're still surprised when they come up again later in the story because you have the context that makes you care. He tried somethign similar in the last six episodes of the 2004 Tetsujin-28 where he straight up tells you how the arc ends but the ending is still just as emotionally devastating. Anyway Shin Mazinger is good and the first best adaptation of Devilman.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The best version of Mazinger is Jim Mazinger from Violence Jack.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What are these expectations/wrong assumptions that the first Shin Mazinger episode is supposed to be making the audiences make? I've never heard that episode defended or described that way before.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shin Mazinger also has a manga...err...it also has a manga of nearly the same name but absolutely no connection with in Shin Mazinger Zero, which has far more fanservice and weird moments than it probably should but it also has a very good story and artwork.

Shin Mazinger Zero should be read if only for ultra ripped Dr. Hell:black101:

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 12, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Raxivace posted:

What are these expectations/wrong assumptions that the first Shin Mazinger episode is supposed to be making the audiences make? I've never heard that episode defended or described that way before.

The one that immediately comes to mind is the scene where Kouji shouts that Count Brocken killed his mother, which isn't actually true and is also a great tease because it doesn't actually tell you anything important.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SlowBloke posted:

Shin Mazinger Zero should be read if only for ultra ripped Dr. Hell:black101:

What's great about that is that the implication is that's how the original series Dr. Hell viewed himself.
The Shin Mazinger Zero Dr. Hell, this terrifying ultramasculine fascist ubermensch, is then the invention of a deeply inadequate man. Everything that makes him look cool simultaneously exposes him as pathetic.

Mazinger Zero kicked rear end. It's a shame so little of it was translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I watched the first episode of shin mazinger it was kind of an acid trip of characters I didn't know participating in events I had no context for and immediately forgot about minutes later rather than draw any kind of pre-conceived notion from them

I ended up not watching the rest of the show, despite later saying to myself "I should check out what any of that was about" constantly