Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it seems pretty common for the smaller image hosts like that to trigger malware scans. used to happen with nya.is i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If your erection of the heart lasts longer than four hours consult a physician.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A new series by the Monster x Monster guy after that got cancelled. Only 1 chapter so far and its set in not-medieval japan and the main character is a samurai killing ninjas for revenge

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shinobi-Gataki-TOBITA-Nikiichi/Vol--001-Ch-001---Read-Online?id=402533

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I kind of love the ending to Boys on the Run, even if it's the Kengo Hanazawa manga I'm least likely to ever read again. Like sure, I Am a Hero hosed up the landing, but it's still overall a better journey I think. I don't know because I haven't actually read Boys in the Run in full in the sense that I started it a billion years ago whenever they started scanning first and I never did a reread. So maybe it's a solid journey of repugnant lovely characters.
I digress because I was saying I really enjoyed the final fight. It's this one shithead loser against another shithead loser, but one of them can fight well, but he's already heavily injured, so the shithead loser MC uses the assistance of a child and another adult to finally beat him. It's just dirty and dumb and fitting for a manga mostly full of lovely people with minor minor victories.

I liked the 116th chapter, it's a funny little epilogue. would've been too schmaltzy for such a dirty sad pathetic manga if it had ended at 115. good fun.

also :lol:

I think it definitely peaked at the poo poo fight, but it was really good overall. That last-page exposition dump by the kid was very lol.

Was the guy that Gen mentioned at the end Ando, the same boxer who Tanishi and Hana had to beat together?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2018

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

innocent rouge update if anyone else here keeps up with it

https://twitter.com/kewl0210/status/960297732144496640

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pewdiepie posted:

Enjoyed the running joke about pseudo-phimosis, and also the payoff to that joke.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in the latest Dead Dead Demons Dedededestruction, either Ooba is loving around, or things just went in a direction I'm not really sure it needed to go
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dead-Dead-Demon-s-Dededededestruction/Ch-056---Read-Online?id=402865

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Sorry, not sure where to ask this as I can't find an official thread.

But I just finished reading Tokyo Ghoul Volume 1. I enjoyed it and ordered the next couple of volumes. That said I see something called the Tokyo Ghoul Re: Volumes. What are they exactly?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

re is the sequel series

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's pretty much one continuous story though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

dogsicle posted:

re is the sequel series

Oh so the story basically ends and it continues on with "RE"?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh so the story basically ends and it continues on with "RE"?

yeah idk what the circumstances were to make the author split it off but after regular TG you can just continue to Re. and iirc Re is ending soon too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

dogsicle posted:

yeah idk what the circumstances were to make the author split it off but after regular TG you can just continue to Re. and iirc Re is ending soon too.

Thanks.

I didn't realize Tokyo Ghoul was so popular.

Especially (relatively) in the United States. I don't hear anybody talking about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I read a few chapters of Kannou-sensei because I was asked to scanlate it and I dunno about you but to me it's one of those hella skeevy romances that only "works" because the girl really IS secretly into the nice guy old enough to be her dad despite saying over and over she wants nothing to do with him while he stalks her at work, follows her home, initiates unsolicited conversation and physical contact, etc. I dunno man

coathat
May 21, 2007

Translate some Takano Fumiko

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

I didn't realize Tokyo Ghoul was so popular.

Especially (relatively) in the United States. I don't hear anybody talking about it.

Yeah I always kind of expected people here to be talking about it but a topic never popped up so I just kind of assumed goons hate it or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think there was one guy who was really into tokyo ghoul but he got banned

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There are a few posts itt chronicling my interest and then falling out of Tokyo ghoul
I did really like it in parts but it just never lived up to that first chapter and once extreme trauma made the mc get like bleached hair and black fingernails or w/e it was sliding into straight up schlock for me
Don't think I made it to RE I forget

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

welp goodbye Tokyo Ghoul. you were never a particularly good manga anyway, but I swear it feels like someone else took over the series at some point in the manga. dude just got tortured into having eight pack abs and goth nails and rad hair I guess and now the little girl character is starting to spout that ONI CHAN stuff and I'm just like PEACE. Like, it was never that nuanced but I swear she was just a normal little girl character and his emotions were way less hackneyed and teen girl fanfic and then it's like... :lol:

I can actually pinpoint the exact pages, it was perfect because suddenly the translations got fittingly lovely as the manga finally went full retard. Not that it was ever that great, but comparing this poo poo to the initial couple chapters is weird. finally i can stop reading this dumb manga, which is a good thing since I was barely grasping all the dumb plots and characters over the last 20 chapters or so.
Gotta catch up on Arslan Senki, Boys on the Run, Crime and Punishment, Destroy and Revolution, Montage, All Rounder Meguru, Sengoku Youko....wow even Shamo...
It seems like "I'll half kill you" was my Tokyo ghoul peak, but I still think those initial first chapters advertise a less dumb series than what we got and I was rarely interested in most of the ghoul hunting cop characters
It's sad how quickly I got tired and over with both Destroy and Revolution and Suicide Island too. I'm almost afraid to revisit Holyland.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I always kind of expected people here to be talking about it but a topic never popped up so I just kind of assumed goons hate it or something?

That's what I assumed. I mean there isn't even an official topic for it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I read and enjoyed the original run of Tokyo Ghoul fine. Basically my entire enjoyment of the manga was hinging on Kaneki as a protagonist and I kinda hated what the author did with him after the whole getting captured part, so my actual enjoyment varied pretty wildly throughout. But before that I enjoyed it and I actually really loved the ending, with him dying and all. Not because I hated his character or anything but because I thought it was the best and most fitting ending for him after the events of the story. So overall I'd say I liked it.

I accidentally spoiled myself that he's still around in some form or another in :RE which both ruined said ending and made me way less interested in :RE. Then I read the first chapter and it felt like a completely different kind of story taking a few of the least interesting parts TG then adding a bunch of weird unnecessary stuff and overall it gave me a really strong 'latter parts of Death Note, but shittier' vibe.

Also Touka didn't get to do jack poo poo the whole loving manga after being introduced as badass and that was really hosed up, imo, and I won't even forgive it if it turns out she owns in :RE or whatever

Now with belated spoilers

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 12, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
holyland was mostly about hilariously dumb and incorrect ideas about fighting that were presented as hard-learned real world expertise. it had about as much to do with martial arts as the later parts of otokojuku.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always assumed TG's popularity came from the edgy cannibalism psycho violence and the art looking kind of neat, because the writing is mediocre, there are way too many characters, and the action is confusing and hard to follow.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also Touka didn't get to do jack poo poo the whole loving manga after being introduced as badass and that was really hosed up, imo, and I won't even forgive it if it turns out she owns in :RE or whatever
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu-re/125---X?id=366707

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I read and enjoyed the original run of Tokyo Ghoul fine. Basically my entire enjoyment of the manga was hinging on Kaneki as a protagonist and I kinda hated what the author did with him after the whole getting captured part, so my actual enjoyment varied pretty wildly throughout. But before that I enjoyed it and I actually really loved the ending, with him dying and all. Not because I hated his character or anything but because I thought it was the best and most fitting ending for him after the events of the story. So overall I'd say I liked it.

I accidentally spoiled myself that he's still around in some form or another in :RE which both ruined said ending and made me way less interested in :RE. Then I read the first chapter and it felt like a completely different kind of story taking a few of the least interesting parts TG then adding a bunch of weird unnecessary stuff and overall it gave me a really strong 'latter parts of Death Note, but shittier' vibe.

I just finished Volume 1. Please don't post ending spoilers.

Edit - Then again, it's probably my fault from reading further replies about a manga I just picked up.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just finished Volume 1. Please don't post ending spoilers.

Sorry bro nobody else was using spoilers so it didn't really cross my mind, figured people were mostly talking about the sequel too at this point

E: some others might want to spoil a few things too I guess, a few some pretty big plot points brought up

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 12, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

lol the author must be pretty thirsty if this got a full chapter

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I enjoyed the first third of Tokyo Ghoul, but I feel like the plot points and characterization gets insanely muddled especially when the cast expanded. In the end, I had no investment in the characters themselves or what was gonna happen with ghoul and human relations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

AnonSpore posted:

I read a few chapters of Kannou-sensei because I was asked to scanlate it and I dunno about you but to me it's one of those hella skeevy romances that only "works" because the girl really IS secretly into the nice guy old enough to be her dad despite saying over and over she wants nothing to do with him while he stalks her at work, follows her home, initiates unsolicited conversation and physical contact, etc. I dunno man

I read the chapters linked here before and want to like it because I like the style but yeah, the more I think about it, the more it creeps me out.

Like "she secretly does like him and is just mad because of a misunderstanding" is meaningless when all he knows is that she doesn't like him and he doesn't loving relent.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Sorry bro nobody else was using spoilers so it didn't really cross my mind, figured people were mostly talking about the sequel too at this point

E: some others might want to spoil a few things too I guess, a few some pretty big plot points brought up

It sucks that now I know that the main character dies at the end, but again, I should have known better and stopped reading the thread.

I also recall this video, but not sure how accurate the study is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ggke9pDUho

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Whoa thanks for the unmarked spoilers punk rebel ecks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Whoa thanks for the unmarked spoilers punk rebel ecks

The way I look at it, if I have to suffer, so does everyone else. :getin:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

It sucks that now I know that the main character dies at the end, but again, I should have known better and stopped reading the thread.

I also recall this video, but not sure how accurate the study is:

I didn't read the sequel and they're all ghouls anyway maybe it was all a dream and/or fuc*ed up prank......gonna pop out of the casket at his own funeral....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's been a couple new chapters of Somali and the Forest Spirit, I must have missed the first one, so now I get two to read!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Somali-to-Mori-no-Kami-sama/Ch-026-The-Young-Child-and-the-Verdant-Fortress?id=401227
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Somali-to-Mori-no-Kami-sama/Ch-027---Parting-from-the-Greenery?id=403115

man, the series can be a real bummer sometimes, but I fuckin' love it. also, the world in it is just beautiful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Insurrectionist posted:

Now with belated spoilers

I agree about the ending. it was a really fitting way to end it all and :RE starts off with what you assume is a new character and a new cast who are fun and likable. Then after a while you just kind of find out it's the main character from the first series but with memory problems. It kind of retroactively makes the character less interesting, especially when said character starts to get his memories back. It drags the whole of :RE down. Also a ton of unresolved questions and plots just kind of show up at the last minute and it feels really rushed and half-assed.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

holyland was mostly about hilariously dumb and incorrect ideas about fighting that were presented as hard-learned real world expertise. it had about as much to do with martial arts as the later parts of otokojuku.
The manga-ka's authoritative voice always cracks me up, from fighting tips in Holyland to survival stuff in Suicide Island. But Holyland was at least entertaining and (I think?) good whereas Suicide Island and ESPECIALLY Destroy and Revolution just went mad tedious.
It would have been funny if he'd included dumb "i as an author did this" tips in DR just about forming a terrorist group or somethin but the half baked political takes and Japanese exceptionalism displayed are pretty much that.
Reminds me of a similarly dumb silly political manga, about that masked guy who ambushed plutocrats and poo poo...akumetsu? I got pretty tired of that quickly once the story beats just became a cyclical "ahah mister president here I am in your most private office and I've got this tape of you killing children!!!" *shocked old man face*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
akumetsu was fun dumb wish fulfillment, and it was pretty popular here a few years back. unfortunately, that led to the wolf guy debacle.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Was Suicide Island the one where people in Japan who tried committing suicide where sent off to a remote island because no one wanted to deal with them, except the characters decided to try living there instead?

I remember the early parts where they adjusted to living in the island pretty cool, like how they had to get food/water/shelter, have to keep healthy and support each other from falling back into suicidal thoughts. And there was a trans character who came out and everyone was supportive of her.

But then the author introduced this shithead character from a different camp who's soooo strong and somehow charismatic that he managed to form a cult around them. And how said camp treated women they capture like sex slaves, with some graphic depictions. I tried to keep going, thinking the characters would just kill the rear end in a top hat cultist and get it over with, but I got to the bit where the cultists captured the trans character and the leader raped her and I just decided to drop it there. :gonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, as someone who liked suicide island for a good while and stopped in a similar spot (I think around the point the ultimate badass pacifist hunter hero and his physical embodiment of ptsd girlfriend shacked up in a literal shack surrounded by banana trees) it probably should have been ended way earlier.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not only does he rape the trans character but his loving is so dope the trans character switches to their side or some poo poo
It's all very bad and revealing of the author, Holyland mostly avoided poo poo like that by just focusing on punches and more punches
Destroy & Revolution got hilariously bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Was Suicide Island the one where people in Japan who tried committing suicide where sent off to a remote island because no one wanted to deal with them, except the characters decided to try living there instead?

I remember the early parts where they adjusted to living in the island pretty cool, like how they had to get food/water/shelter, have to keep healthy and support each other from falling back into suicidal thoughts. And there was a trans character who came out and everyone was supportive of her.

But then the author introduced this shithead character from a different camp who's soooo strong and somehow charismatic that he managed to form a cult around them. And how said camp treated women they capture like sex slaves, with some graphic depictions. I tried to keep going, thinking the characters would just kill the rear end in a top hat cultist and get it over with, but I got to the bit where the cultists captured the trans character and the leader raped her and I just decided to drop it there. :gonk:

I was interested in reading this manga, until I got to your last paragraph.