Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

I just finished XB2 and yes, gently caress learning all that nonsense. Sometime around 30% through the game I stopped even looking at accessories or aux cores.

You almost finished the tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've been debating sending back my left joycon to get the fix while it's still under warranty, but I don't really have the issue anymore now that my Switch isn't behind the TV.

Worst case scenario I could always just buy another set in the same color and "return" them. :v:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Weedle posted:

This is a fantastic idea. A Retro Game Challenge for the modern era.

You mean NES Remix on Wii U.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Keito posted:

You mean NES Remix on Wii U.

On what now?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Weedle posted:

On what now?

That mythical console still providing Switch with 90% of its 1st party releases

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm about 6 hours into Mercenary Sagas. Overall it's pretty enjoyable and I'm impressed they were able to pack this much content into what was originally a feature phone release (Japanese feature phones must have been amazing). My only complaint is how bad the translation is, but it's almost charming really. It's like the 90s.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephzinho posted:

I just finished XB2 and yes, gently caress learning all that nonsense. Sometime around 30% through the game I stopped even looking at accessories or aux cores.

It's bizarrely hard, or I'm absolutely terrible. I'm at level 11 and a level 9 random forest monkey kills me every time I try to fight it. I took on some sidequests to level up but they just send me against random monster that are my level or lower who always beat me, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's bizarrely hard, or I'm absolutely terrible. I'm at level 11 and a level 9 random forest monkey kills me every time I try to fight it. I took on some sidequests to level up but they just send me against random monster that are my level or lower who always beat me, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Have you got more than one party member?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Have you got more than one party member?

no, the welsh girl got captured

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Plan Z posted:

I got Fire Emblem Warriors on whim and I'm worried because this is my first Warriors game and it's entirely my thing. I think I have a copy of that One Piece game from a Humble bundle somewhere...

I bought it and returned inside of about a month. I've played a couple Dynasty Warriors games in the past (8 on Steam, Next on Vita) so I knew what I was getting into, but the Fire Emblem characters just weren't interesting or different enough imo for me to play through the main campaign more than once.

I beat it on easy, beat the first side campaign, looked at a list of unlockables online and decided there was just no point. This is kind of stupid but a public trophy list might have helped to keep me playing for a while.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Guy Goodbody posted:

General rule is that when something in the plot takes away your party members, you should drop what you’re doing and continue the plot to fix that situation ASAP. Combat is designed around having a party of three, and (as you’ve discovered) you’ll get wrecked when you’re short-handed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just make for the plot until you have party members. Outside of dying to OHKOs from things that you didn't actually see cast from adds or just being punched by something 30+ levels over you you shouldn't have much trouble.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok, I guess that little kid is going to be trapped in a tree for awhile longer

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the Switch doesn't get hack during it's life cycle. I also hope it never gets VC

Why on earth would you want that? I want gba games and GameCube games on it stat! (Rouge squad!)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the Switch doesn't get hack during it's life cycle. I also hope it never gets VC

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/960894909304786945

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Takoluka posted:

Is there anything Nintendo can do to prevent people from going online with hacked Switches?

Yes. Bannings and feature disables. Even blacklisting an associated Nintendo account.

It's conceivable that exploits would allow you to bypass Nintendo's local countermeasures (e.g., re-enable a disabled feature), but anything which Nintendo can do on their servers (e.g., prevent you from playing multiplayer) will be very difficult to counteract.

Look up Xbox eeprom banning for examples of how Microsoft reacted to similar situations in the past.

EDIT: To be clear, there's no technical thing stopping Nintendo from simply bricking exploited Switches. They might hesitate due to the risk of false positives or bad PR, but it's not impossible.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 12, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the technical thing stopping them from bricking your poo poo is to not let it connect to the internet

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably less likely since they seemed to be aware of the issue soon after launch. Even if you do get one with issues, they’re very cool about replacing them quickly so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Spellman posted:

The right (?) Joy-Con is always poo poo, pink, yellow, red, sent to Nintendo or not. Supposedly it got better, but you can still intercept the signal with your hand past a certain distance

Don't expect a huge improvement, if any
Thanks for the answers, I haven't really used my joy-cons outside of handheld play since I got my Pro controller so I guess I'll just continue to wait and see if they ever fully iron out the issues

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the technical thing stopping them from bricking your poo poo is to not let it connect to the internet

OK but who gives a gently caress what you do with it if you aren't connecting to the internet. I don't care if you mod your switch into a tamagotchi and I doubt Nintendo does much, either.

What I do care about is if your modded Switch fucks one iota with my online experience and I don't care if Nintendo bricks every switch that fucks in even the slightest way with online anything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bloop posted:

OK but who gives a gently caress what you do with it if you aren't connecting to the internet. I don't care if you mod your switch into a tamagotchi and I doubt Nintendo does much, either.

What I do care about is if your modded Switch fucks one iota with my online experience and I don't care if Nintendo bricks every switch that fucks in even the slightest way with online anything.

I never really saw any online fuckery even after 3DS and Wii U were hacked so I doubt it’ll be a huge issue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Yes. Bannings and feature disables. Even blacklisting an associated Nintendo account.

It's conceivable that exploits would allow you to bypass Nintendo's local countermeasures (e.g., re-enable a disabled feature), but anything which Nintendo can do on their servers (e.g., prevent you from playing multiplayer) will be very difficult to counteract.

Look up Xbox eeprom banning for examples of how Microsoft reacted to similar situations in the past.

EDIT: To be clear, there's no technical thing stopping Nintendo from simply bricking exploited Switches. They might hesitate due to the risk of false positives or bad PR, but it's not impossible.

the exploit is hard coded to the apu there is no way nintendo can change it on existing systems. The bad unchangeable code must run before any other code can run so no they cant brick the system short of trying to tell the unit to try to destroy itself with heat which is probably illegal and dangerous

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really doubt people are hacking Switches so they can wallhack in Splatoon, they're hacking it so they can pirate games and turn it into a mobile PSX emulator or whatever.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Plan Z posted:

M&R's hit system is so much better than XCOM's %chance system.

I got Fire Emblem Warriors on whim and I'm worried because this is my first Warriors game and it's entirely my thing. I think I have a copy of that One Piece game from a Humble bundle somewhere...

the one piece game is fun enough because the characters are zany and play different from each other, though i was officially Too Old for the story and quit halfway through. if you like zelda in any way hyrule warriors is probably the best iteration of this formula

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really doubt people are hacking Switches so they can wallhack in Splatoon, they're hacking it so they can pirate games and turn it into a mobile PSX emulator or whatever.

I guarantee you they're doing it for all three reasons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
People totally hosed with Splatoon on WiiU for a while

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Gamecube, thank you very much.

Or perhaps they could just release a new F-Zero game and I wouldn't have to hack to get my fix.

I do secretly hope that F-Zero Rammers pulls a Mario x Rabbids and blows everyone away. With that exact name.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Should I buy Disgaea 5 to scratch a tactics itch, or wait an unknown amount of time for Fire Emblem to be announced and released?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Should I buy Disgaea 5 to scratch a tactics itch, or wait an unknown amount of time for Fire Emblem to be announced and released?

Wait an unknown amount of time for Wargroove to be released.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Bongo Bill posted:

Wait an unknown amount of time for Wargroove to be released.

Is it coming to switch? I think I'll wait anyway, I just downloaded and redownloaded the demo, and it just crashes with an error on launch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Bloop posted:

People totally hosed with Splatoon on WiiU for a while

People are still doing this, and I'll never forget the JP guy on Twitter who had a stack of Wii Us he was specifically using to hack Splatoon with. If he got console banned, he'd just change console.

Bring this over to the Switch and the potential to get online with a Switch emulator, and you have a hellscape in one of your top sellers.

I'm also of the mindset that what you do with your tech device is your business, but the moment you start negatively affecting user experience or small-time devs, you can go to hell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Is it coming to switch? I think I'll wait anyway, I just downloaded and redownloaded the demo, and it just crashes with an error on launch.

It is coming to Switch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PC online games aren’t a cheating hellscape and cheating is way easier on pc than any hacked console

I guess Nintendo could be dumb and have no anti-cheating measures though

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

It looks like he's using at least a few external components in this hack. So it's not like he's running anything off a microSD card yet.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hacker's just see that as short-lived fun, and are good to just do it until Nintendo penalizes their online play

Modders, tinkerers, and many else would consider it an ethical breach if Nintendo started going after local features, and that's no good to them as a business

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m excited for hacking but I hope it’s not so stupidly easy to do and that it kills the Switch with rampant piracy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Switch hacking would be a great excuse for me to play final fantasy tactics again so I’m up for it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i have enough games to play already without hackin this thing for more. slow down, universe!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My first hour of golf story had been a fun one. Glad I saved it for when I needed something low key.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Andrast posted:

PC online games aren’t a cheating hellscape and cheating is way easier on pc than any hacked console

I guess Nintendo could be dumb and have no anti-cheating measures though

The netcode for Splatoon and Splatoon 2 is peer to peer, so it would be incredibly easy for someone to cheat if they had the tools to let them do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Andrast posted:

PC online games aren’t a cheating hellscape

Someone hasn't played PUBG

• Locked thread