Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Speaking of ageing tubs of lard, does anyone know what Faustian pact Shatner struck? He got off murdering his wife, and is nearly all the way to 90. Why couldn't De have lasted so long?

By the way, I love Frakes. He seems like a man I'd enjoy getting wrecked with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Frionnel posted:

I watched "These are the Voyages..." today.

I deeply regret it.

Also, this means i watched all episodes of Star Trek ever released up to this point!

I deeply regret it.

I have no regrets about missing portions of Voyager and Enterprise, and nearly all of Discovery.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I probably have a higher opinion of Enterprise than most people (at least from what i've seen reading this thread) but i still don't recommend most of season 2 and parts of season 1. You made a good decision.

I love how they say out loud that they're going to kill Trip, do it, and the characters barely react to it at all. They barely react to the death of a major character who had been their friend for years. What an insulting episode.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 10, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trickjaw posted:

Speaking of ageing tubs of lard, does anyone know what Faustian pact Shatner struck? He got off murdering his wife

:stare:

Nerine Shatner was a raging alcoholic and pill popper, and was drunk as a skunk and doped to the gills on Valium when she cracked her neck in their swimming pool.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Frionnel posted:

I love how they say out loud that they're going to kill Trip, do it, and the characters barely react to it at all. They barely react to the death of a major character who had been their friend for years. What an insulting episode.

They'd already killed his duplicate to harvest organs, i think they were just burned out on people that look like him dying.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

:stare:

Nerine Shatner was a raging alcoholic and pill popper, and was drunk as a skunk and doped to the gills on Valium when she cracked her neck in their swimming pool.

I think there's a song about this on his album, actually.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Trickjaw posted:

By the way, I love Frakes. He seems like a man I'd enjoy getting wrecked with.

I'd totally get on the piss and watch soccer with him and Marina Sirtis.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

dont even fink about it posted:

It's heartbreaking :smith:

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Their drunken commentary on Insurrection is fantastic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I met her at a con and her frequent topics were soccer, drinking, and smoking. She's such a goddamn hooligan.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

dont even fink about it posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ufoNrnKrHU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh makes more sense than Masks

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For anyone who thinks Keiko is a hellhound I would like to direct you to the episode where she schemes to get Miles and Julian to go have fun when Miles feels obligated to spend all his time with her after she gets home from Bajor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And the episode where she keeps telling him to go gently caress Kira already

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think Keiko cares whether it's Kira or Bashir as long as Miles fucks someone

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, over on Disco, the Enterprise showed up, and she's got a lot more blue glowies and speed holes in the pylons.

I'm sure the writers will be mature with their fans-

https://twitter.com/karterhol/status/952263180952141824

Never mind.

The sad thing is, most of the redesign, like the slight extra detailing and metallic hull, could've worked. If not for the aforementioned glowies and holes. Which weren't at all necessary to make it more modern.

Anyway, this is going to be a hot button topic in Trekland now, I'm sure.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 12, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did they have captain Robert April?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Well, over on Disco, the Enterprise showed up, and she's got a lot more blue glowies and speed holes in the pylons.

Never mind.

The sad thing is, most of the redesign, like the slight extra detailing and metallic hull, could've worked. If not for the aforementioned glowies and holes. Which weren't at all necessary to make it more modern.

Honestly I didn't think it was bad at all, it resembled an NXified constitution, nothing really was that drastic about it as far as I could tell from what little we saw

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: nevermind, this was a bad idea.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 12, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MikeJF posted:

Never mind.

Twitter is cancer and twitter users are metastasized tumors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HIJK posted:

Twitter is cancer and twitter users are metastasized tumors.

That's one of the show's creatives.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

MikeJF posted:

That's one of the show's creatives.

Ah yes starting fights with your target audience, that'll work out well! Just ask Stargate!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HIJK posted:

Ah yes starting fights with your target audience, that'll work out well! Just ask Stargate!

Richard Dean Anderson or Michael Shanks for Disco Captain in season 2.

Alternatively, Christopher Judge for Disco Captain in season 2.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

HIJK posted:

What happened with Stargate?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a decent chance that tweet will get taken down, so for later thread context...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It hasn’t been taken down in the month since it was originally posted so I doubt it will be taken down any time soon.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Twitter: Use the Internet to antagonize your already discontented fanbase.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I didn't realise it was that old. My bad, it's more about Disco generally than this particularly.

Still a bad attitude. And TOS was not cheap! It was pretty loving expensive!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

What happened with Stargate?

It was a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy...but my experience in the Stargate fandom was that the creators and the fans had a really toxic relationship that started with killing of Daniel Jackson and way past that into SGO. I remember Joe Malozzi (sp?) getting involved in backbiting on social media when that was taking off. Pre-twitter days though so good luck getting details and admittedly my memory is bad.

Anyway the creators got too involved in addressing the fans via cons and in the shows and it brought the quality of the shows down quite a bit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it looks okay.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

Still a bad attitude. And TOS was not cheap! It was pretty loving expensive!

If it was so expensive, why didn't they put pointless greebles all over everything?!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Did they have captain Robert April?
Nope, Pike is in command at this time and he is the one sending out a Priority One distress call which gets garbled (presumably so they can cast somebody in S2)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gonz posted:

Richard Dean Anderson or Michael Shanks for Disco Captain in season 2.

Alternatively, Christopher Judge for Disco Captain in season 2.

I'd ask what's wrong with Amanda Tapping, but she really wasn't a very good captain.

Thor for Captain in season 2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Double-dick Klingons are canon now, just like Gene would have wanted

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

could be an after-sex piss.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrJacobs posted:

could be an after-sex piss.

this is also what Gene would have wanted

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

i wonder if that's just normal klingon dick or if we just happened upon weird old larry the double-dick klingon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not going over there to check, but I'd almost guarantee that Discovery fans on Reddit's Star Trek sub are mocking and screaming at fans who either dislike the Enterprise redesign or are unsure about it. Many people there are so determined that they love whatever Discovery's writers come up with, good or bad, that God help you if you're not on board.

That said, the Enterprise design looks a little too TOS movie-like for me, but I don't necessarily dislike it. It's the attitude from the Discovery writer guy that pisses me off.