Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

Yup, I know the HD6XXs are just HD650s with a different color and cable, and $200 is such a drat good deal for that. The more I read, the more subjective and personal the preferences seem, which I guess is true of most decent audio equipment. At worst, people who prefer the HD600s say the 650/6XXs are “thicker” and “muddier” than the more neutral and “crisp” 600s.

And I won’t lie, the HD6XXs color doesn’t blow my skirt up. Blue? Really?

The HD650s almost sound muffled to me when compared to HE400i. I can't unhear it now so they sit on my table and only come out when I want something different.

If you like that treble-high found in vocals and pianos then you might be a little disappointed.

or I could have hearing problems in the high range. it's really anyone's guess at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I’m planning to go on a 20 hour flight to SE Asia in the next 6 months, and would like some headphone recommendations. Looking for long-term comfort and noise cancelling as #1 priority - already have a Sennheiser HD650 and a pair of Westone 4 IEMs for listening at home, so these would ideally be for traveling only.

The Sony MDR-1000X and Bose QC35 look like top picks in this use category. Anyone have personal experience or would like to offer other suggestions? I do have an extra large head (Size 7-3/4 hat), that’s my only concern.

I bought a pair of QC35s and they are very comfortable, even with my enormous head. I had a 10hr flight yesterday and didn't have a bit of discomfort.

Noise canceling performance is very good. I travel a ton for work and wish I had bought these years ago.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

LordOfThePants posted:

I bought a pair of QC35s and they are very comfortable, even with my enormous head. I had a 10hr flight yesterday and didn't have a bit of discomfort.

Noise canceling performance is very good. I travel a ton for work and wish I had bought these years ago.

Same.

I know they won’t satisfy the audiophiles out there, but for when I want to listen to music or watch a movie without a cord (especially on a flight or in public), these things are great.

I too have a large head.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
They get a lot of love actually because they have best in class noise cancellation. (mostly due to patenting every single loving thing you can think of gimping the competition)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey all, I’ve been a happy BeatsX owner for the past year up until one of the buds stopped working intermittently this weekend and it is really frigging annoying. Of course it has been just over a year (bought on feb 10, 2017) so no more warranty.

Is it reasonable to expect earbuds in this price range to just crap out from a year of pretty much daily office use? Can’t decide if I should look for something new, get a new pair or send these in for “repair” for about 2/3 the cost of new (which is really just like getting a new pair, but delayed, plus ship hassle).

They’ve been great otherwise and I have had no complaints over the past year. Surprised that there are not any new compelling options in the time since I got them, maybe the Sennheiser HD1 Free but those are a lot more money.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

priznat posted:

Hey all, I’ve been a happy BeatsX owner for the past year up until one of the buds stopped working intermittently this weekend and it is really frigging annoying. Of course it has been just over a year (bought on feb 10, 2017) so no more warranty.

Is it reasonable to expect earbuds in this price range to just crap out from a year of pretty much daily office use? Can’t decide if I should look for something new, get a new pair or send these in for “repair” for about 2/3 the cost of new (which is really just like getting a new pair, but delayed, plus ship hassle).

They’ve been great otherwise and I have had no complaints over the past year. Surprised that there are not any new compelling options in the time since I got them, maybe the Sennheiser HD1 Free but those are a lot more money.

Don't buy expensive headphones that don't have replaceable cables.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Which is why I tend to cheap out on IEMs because:

a) to extend the lifetime on them, you have to be careful and put them in their case (gently caress that)
b) as isolating as they can be, they still have to compete with outside noise during a commute and I don't care too much about sound fidelity as long as it has the sound signature I want

You can get around this by buying one with replaceable cables, but those are mostly wired options. I understand that the above doesn't really apply to wireless since Bluetooth IEMs are also kind of a crapshoot to cheap out on as the quality from the cheap brands vary so wildly.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Spermanent Record posted:

this

Better still is if you can get headphones with universal ports of some kind, so replacement cables are cheaper and easier to get, but that's more of a bonus.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spermanent Record posted:

I was pretty psyched to see the newer Astro A40's come with a female 1/8 jack on the headset, I'll probably have mine working for decades. I kept a set of AKG's working for 20 years but I had to resolder it several times a year.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

So are these considered the go to recommendation for true wireless other than air pods?

I just got these a few days ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076993WGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_2Kx8Nn68L7jPY

I'm very disappointed. They sound good indoors but as soon as I go outside with them they cut in and out constantly. It's a little better when I'm holding my phone but with my phone in my pocket they're unusably bad. I have nice wired cans for listening at my desk, I need something for walking my dog. I wanted to try full wireless but I can't handle one or both ears dropping out every few seconds.

If true wireless just isn't ready yet, is there a Bluetooth set that's recommended with the cable between earbuds? My previous pair was a cheap-o lightening deal QCY something that lasted for about a year, not bad for 11bux. Like I said, I only need to connect to a Pixel 2, split my listening between music and podcasts and listen on quiet walks with my dog and noisy bus commutes. $70 is about my upper price range when I return these lovely wireless ones, but I'd probably rather stay around 40-50 if they aren't true wireless.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I picked up some BeatsX earbuds from Best Buy (refurbished for $65) and I think they're great. I'd like a little better fit, though, and I was wondering if there was a recommended (cheapish) memory foam tip set on Amazon that I should pick up for this?

Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinook posted:

I picked up some BeatsX earbuds from Best Buy (refurbished for $65) and I think they're great. I'd like a little better fit, though, and I was wondering if there was a recommended (cheapish) memory foam tip set on Amazon that I should pick up for this?

Thanks!

I like the Comply Isolation ones.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

LordOfThePants posted:

I love Bose noise cancelling, though I travel with QC20/QC30 because I like being able to lay sideways with the earbuds which isnt exactly possible with the over ear.

The fact that they got such awesome noise cancelling into earbuds is magic, and I've found the earbuds are shaped in a way that I can actually lay on a pillow with them on with very limited discomfort.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Old headphones died, and I decided to splurge a little. I ended up with a pair of Jabra Elites. I think I got a lemon. At any given moment, the volume in one ear is about 10-50% as loud as the other. There's also a bit of distracting lag when watching video. Going to return them this afternoon. Any recommendations for a replacement? Between listening to music at work, conference calls, almost daily workouts, and a few airplane trips a month, I wear headphones up to 6 hours a day.

Budget - <$200
Source - iPhone and Fire tablet
Isolation Requirements - Nothing beyond IEM
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM, bluetooth since I move away from my phone a lot
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not picky. Probably nice to have something balanced.
Past Headphones - Jaybird X2. I liked that they were comfortable enough to wear all day. But daily use for 2-3 years finally wore them out.
Preferred Music - Mostly relaxing things while I'm at work. Usually stuff like the National, the XX, and video game soundtracks. Gym is more Kanye and Beastie Boys.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The HE4xx were just sorta okay. I mean I'm not upset about owning them. I don't feel like they were a waste of money. But I haven't really been wow'd by them.

The tuning out of the box is garbage but they have serious potential.

This is what I did with mine:

Remove the ear pads and peel them off the clip-on retaining rings carefully so you don't snap them. Toss the focus ear pads away, you don't want them. Just the plastic rings.

Now stick on a pair of ZMF Ori sheepskin earpads with a round tissue cutout (a typical Kleenex snot tissue is ideal) between the driver and the earpad tucked in between the plastic ring and the foam backing where you'll never see it. Then put a single layer of thin craft felt over that, again between the driver and ear pad where you'll never see it once attached. Make sure everything is completely flat etc then re-attach to your 4XXs.

Enjoy your ear pulverizing sub bass and nice smooth treble. :thumbsup:

Yes you're spending ~1/3rd of your headphone price tag again just on a pair of ear pads. DO IT.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 20, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looking for suggestions for some Bluetooth earbuds. They'll be used with my phone (Pixel 2), either around the office or out for a jog with the dog.

I've always just bought $10-20 pairs in the past but I'd be willing to spend $50-100 for something decent. Typically listen to metal and EDM for what it's worth.

Seems like everything on Amazon is no-name Chinese junk, or $200+. I did see some ~90+ Sony earbuds, but I'd rather be on the lower end of my price point than higher.

So I'm definitely not an audiopohile, just looking for something that will last .

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well you can get the Powerbeats 3 from Best Buy refurb for like 80 or the beats x for $65.

Also you should be able to find some jaybirds for under $100.

Short of those I’d maybe go with an Anker pair. Their stuff doesn’t have amazing sound or anything but they are inexpensive and definitely get the job done.

The sub $100 BT market is a little weird.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DancingShade posted:

The tuning out of the box is garbage but they have serious potential.

This is what I did with mine:

Remove the ear pads and peel them off the clip-on retaining rings carefully so you don't snap them. Toss the focus ear pads away, you don't want them. Just the plastic rings.

Now stick on a pair of ZMF Ori sheepskin earpads with a round tissue cutout (a typical Kleenex snot tissue is ideal) between the driver and the earpad tucked in between the plastic ring and the foam backing where you'll never see it. Then put a single layer of thin craft felt over that, again between the driver and ear pad where you'll never see it once attached. Make sure everything is completely flat etc then re-attach to your 4XXs.

Enjoy your ear pulverizing sub bass and nice smooth treble. :thumbsup:

Yes you're spending ~1/3rd of your headphone price tag again just on a pair of ear pads. DO IT.

I feel like I'd rather just throw more power and an EQ at it first. But, thanks for the tip.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

After using the HE 4XX for a few months and swapping between them and the AKG 7XX, I'd say the two are about on par with each other just experience wise, the AKG being comfier for sure.

The sturdiness on the 4XX is very confidence inspiring, though. I've decided to throw them in my backpack more frequently this last week and I wouldn't want to bring the 7XX out of the house at all.

Looks like there is a future HD 6XX in my collection :shepspends:

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I went to a canjam and listened to a bunch of stuff.

For reference, I am a complete newb when it comes to audio. I'm decently researched on these things but I had never heard anything fancy myself, so it was a nice opportunity to window shop.

The main take-aways I got from it were:

-In a loud convention hall it's tough to really tell what anything sounds like. I'd need a quieter environment and some extended time to actually compare things.
-Soundstage seemed to be the biggest factor in how enjoyable I perceived something to be.
-Sound quality seemed pretty much random and had no correlation with price whatsoever until you got to the >$800 range with Audeze, HD800s, and friends, and then everything sounded at least good in some way, and there was minimal improvement beyond that that I could hear. I heard Stax and Focal Utopias and they sounded great and all, but they didn't blow my mind or anything.

So yeah there you go. These are just my subjective opinions. Actually I feel like it would've been nice to get a better comparison of amps. Since everything was plugged into various high-end amps and sources which were coloring the sound somewhat it was difficult to decouple how much of it was the amp and how much was the headphone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NewFatMike posted:

After using the HE 4XX for a few months and swapping between them and the AKG 7XX, I'd say the two are about on par with each other just experience wise, the AKG being comfier for sure.

The sturdiness on the 4XX is very confidence inspiring, though. I've decided to throw them in my backpack more frequently this last week and I wouldn't want to bring the 7XX out of the house at all.

Looks like there is a future HD 6XX in my collection :shepspends:

It really is the best headphone.
I'm still not thrilled with my HE4XX or my Fidelio X2's after having heard them. I'm especially meh about buying the HE4XX after the HD6XX.
I mean both the X2's and HE4XX are nice. They're comfy as gently caress and (when sufficiently driven *cough*) the 4XX and X2 can kick out some surprisingly deep bass.
But nothing strikes that perfect balance between comfort, price. and sweet sweet vocal clarity quite like the Sennheisers.
God drat they're so good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In a couple more years my HD600s will be a solid decade old. Great headphones and for certain genres or non FPS videogames I'd take them over anything flashier & more expensive that I have.

The only weakness is the sub bass falloff but they were never designed for that. I can't think of any 90s music offhand which did a lot below 100hz but I'm happy to learn of some.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DancingShade posted:

I can't think of any 90s music offhand which did a lot below 100hz but I'm happy to learn of some.
Jungle :getin:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DancingShade posted:

In a couple more years my HD600s will be a solid decade old. Great headphones and for certain genres or non FPS videogames I'd take them over anything flashier & more expensive that I have.

The only weakness is the sub bass falloff but they were never designed for that. I can't think of any 90s music offhand which did a lot below 100hz but I'm happy to learn of some.

I just found a whole crate of turn of the century house, EU techno, and drum and bass at my local goodwill. There's definitely some subsonic wubs in there.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbfn4xbHiWB/?taken-by=paperassgasket

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

I feel the same way about my 20+ year old 580s. And my 20+ year old 7506's for that matter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I never owned the 600's though I did listen to them. I had the 580's for about 8 years (which are generally considered almost identical to the 600's) and upgraded to the 650's 5 years ago just because they have a bit more bass omph and I haven't looked back. Unless I do something crazy like getting HD800's, the 650's get me to a full decade and possible a decade beyond that.

The HD6xx selling for $200 does upset me though. I paid $270 for my 650's back in 2013 and that was because an employee code leaked during the holidays.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 23, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The curse of the HiFiMan HE560 headband strikes again!

Got them during the Adorama sale on 2018-02-05 and they survived until 2018-02-23. I'd been very careful with them after seeing many other forum/reddit posts about people having their HE560 headbands break.

They sounded great while they lasted, and I don't think I could find anything else as good under $350, so I will probably try to get a replacement headband from HiFiMan and hope for the best.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Parker Lewis posted:

Got them during the Adorama sale on 2018-02-05 and they survived until 2018-02-23. I'd been very careful with them after seeing many other forum/reddit posts about people having their HE560 headbands break.

They sounded great while they lasted, and I don't think I could find anything else as good under $350, so I will probably try to get a replacement headband from HiFiMan and hope for the best.

Should have bought the HE4xx. That headband is built like a loving tank. It's really similar sounding to the HE650 (at least to me). Both of them sound equally weird is what I should say.

Started to go down a hole about Planars and stumbled on this:

I think I have that rocking chair.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 24, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Should have bought the HE4xx. That headband is built like a loving tank. It's really similar sounding to the HE650 (at least to me). Both of them sound equally weird is what I should say.

I heard the HE560s described as $350 headphones with the build
quality of $100 headphones that sound like $700 headphones and that was pretty much my experience. I guess getting “$900 headphones” for $350 was too good to be true.

I think I’m just going to return these and save up and put more of a premium on build quality next time around. I’ll pay more for a set made in Europe like the Beyerdynamic DT1990s or the Focal Elear/Elex or something.

Back to Fidelity X1s for now, though I did get in on the most recent Sennheiser HD6XX drop so I have those to look forward to in a few months.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Parker Lewis posted:

I heard the HE560s described as $350 headphones with the build
quality of $100 headphones that sound like $700 headphones and that was pretty much my experience. I guess getting “$900 headphones” for $350 was too good to be true.

I think I’m just going to return these and save up and put more of a premium on build quality next time around. I’ll pay more for a set made in Europe like the Beyerdynamic DT1990s or the Focal Elear/Elex or something.

Back to Fidelity X1s for now, though I did get in on the most recent Sennheiser HD6XX drop so I have those to look forward to in a few months.

The HD6XX is absolutely the best value in headphones right now.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The HD6XX is absolutely the best value in headphones right now.

SHP9500s say hi.

Parker Lewis posted:

I saw the Edition Xfor $500 used recently, but it was the V1 and I passed on it because I was scared about the headband.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bodyholes posted:

SHP9500s say hi.

shps are great but the hd6xx are much more than $140 better imho.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Anyone here pick up a 1060C? Looking for some initial impressions on them. Everyone on Head-Fi is raving about them, but they're like that with almost every new headphone.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Someone talk me out of rolling the $700 dice on the Massdrop x Focal Elex.

Speculation is that their quality will fall somewhere in between the Elear and Clear, potentially closer to the Clears than the Elears, which would make them a good “value” at less than half the price.

After my HE560 disappointment I’m ready to just throw some money at an “end game”-type all-arounder headphone and then not worry about headphones for a few years.

I do have a pair of HD6XX coming at the end of March from the most recent drop, so I’d be directly comparing the Elex against the 6XX.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 25, 2018

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Parker Lewis posted:

Someone talk me out of rolling the $700 dice on the Massdrop x Focal Elex.

Speculation is that their quality will fall somewhere in between the Elear and Clear, potentially closer to the Clears than the Elears, which would make them a good “value” at less than half the price.

After my HE560 disappointment I’m ready to just throw some money at an “end game”-type all-arounder headphone and then not worry about headphones for a few years.

I do have a pair of HD6XX coming at the end of March from the most recent drop, so I’d be directly comparing the Elex against the 6XX.

I can’t speak for the Focal Elex specifically, but I own the Focal Clear headphones and they’re end-game for me. With every set of cans I have ever owned I was able to pick out some flaw that came between me and the music, but I truly can’t do that with the Clear. Any genre, any era - they’re simply beautiful. Very detailed, but without the edge of sibilance. Bass texture is terrific as well.

I have owned Audeze LCD-series and Sennheiser HD800s before (and other high-end headphones), but I have simply never been so impressed before. Build quality is excellent, and the case and included cables are top-notch.

If the Elex are truly between the Elear and Clear in sound quality I would imagine that you will be happy with them.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

shps are great but the hd6xx are much more than $140 better imho.

That was not the impression I got from listening to them right next to each other. Maybe I'm deaf and need more treble though. :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bodyholes posted:

That was not the impression I got from listening to them right next to each other. Maybe I'm deaf and need more treble though. :shrug:
If you can't tell the difference, hey, you're a cheap date headphone consumer.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is the right thread buuutt I'm looking to buy a headset for my computer. My budget is around 120$ and I'd like for it to have a microphone that wont break on me in less than a year. I strongly prefer wired connections since I've had bad experiences with wireless ones disconnecting all the goddamn time. I'm not looking for super fancy sound quality so I'm quite happy with stereo. Also I'd prefer for it to not look like gamer trash but I guess that might be kind of hard.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

If you can't tell the difference, hey, you're a cheap date headphone consumer.

HD650s sound great to me, don't get me wrong. I've got the HEX V2s actually, which have a similar sort of sound signature kind of.

I just think if someone's starting from scratch, and they're looking for a gaming headset that actually sounds good, and they don't plan to invest several hundred dollars into amps, tubes, balanced stuff etc... there will be negligible benefits to the HD650s over the SHP9500s for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Xun posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread buuutt I'm looking to buy a headset for my computer. My budget is around 120$ and I'd like for it to have a microphone that wont break on me in less than a year. I strongly prefer wired connections since I've had bad experiences with wireless ones disconnecting all the goddamn time. I'm not looking for super fancy sound quality so I'm quite happy with stereo. Also I'd prefer for it to not look like gamer trash but I guess that might be kind of hard.

Does it have to be one unit? Because for value (and not looking like gamertrash) you may want to look into an inline mic or modmic sort of dealie on a decent pair of 60-80 dollar headphones.
Speaking of, does anyone know if the modmic effects the sound quality when it's mounted on the mesh back of the HD6XXs?