Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

what a ridiculous notion

This sets you up to crush them in many cases though. See, silly walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's not like competition is that tight.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Is that chart real? Lmao what a joke

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

A run that takes 1h43m anyway, only one minute is lost to this terrible evil oppressive RNG, and now they are introducing mods so they can avoid resets to actually achieve a record like every other game, for a game that isn't all that fun or interesting in the first place.

seems legit

moeljbcp
Dec 6, 2004

In case of fire, call a plumber
Fun Shoe
Ok that doesn't seem like as big a deal as it was made out to be. Would be curious to see how much time is lost on average on a run though. Regardless, using a mod doesn't seem like that big of an issue to me, doubly so if it's that easy to compare a modded run to an unmodded run. Even if people don't use the mod they can compare their times to those who do if it is that easy to compute.

I mean it's not like it's exciting to try to get lucky. The interesting bits of speedrunning imo are the ones based on skill, not on grinding a ton of attempts to get lucky. (Only applies when the luck really is completely out of the player's control)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
people just need to accept that not every game is a good speedrun game. i routed out a chibi-robo speedrun up until i realized i needed to gamble all my money on a 50/50 guessing game where if i lost my run was over, and I didn’t bust out an action replay and give myself infinite money, i just accepted that this was a poor video game to speedrun, made my peace with it and moved on

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Historically small speedrunning communities for games have always decided collaboratively on what they consider things like 'what is completion' and 'what makes sense as categories,' and in this case if it's more fun for the people involved to decide to play it a very specific way then they should be able to do it like that

It'd be a problem if it was something one runner decided to install secretly, but this isn't the case; it'd also be an issue if there were people in the community who didn't think it was a good idea, but that also isn't the case apparently.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

I think that's simplifying the fact that they're using a mod, not just like, changing the definition of any% or w/e

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

absolutely anything posted:

people just need to accept that not every game is a good speedrun game. i routed out a chibi-robo speedrun up until i realized i needed to gamble all my money on a 50/50 guessing game where if i lost my run was over, and I didn’t bust out an action replay and give myself infinite money, i just accepted that this was a poor video game to speedrun, made my peace with it and moved on

Do chibi robo zip lash

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Do chibi robo zip lash

under no circumstances will i play that pile again

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any other games that are modified for their runs?

I remember years and years and years ago a guy was telling me that half-life speedruns are lame because they use a modified version of the game's uhh gauss gun I think to get higher jumps with it or something. I don't know how true that is though, if that was ever a thing.
Gauss jump has always been possible as far as I know. There was a patch years ago that nerfed bunnyhopping. It set a kind of "speed limit" that if you went over, you would instantly lose all of your momentum and slow way down. A lot of runs use a mod that reverts the bunnyhopping back to the old style before this lame (IMHO) patch came out. The patch came out YEARS after the game was released, mostly due to the whining of casual Counterstrike players. It's more like reverting the game back to the way it "should" be than a mod. You definitely get more mileage + air control out of gauss/explosion jumps with the old bunnyhopping. It makes the speedrun a lot less boring.

As someone who once dabbled in Half-Life speedrunning, I can't speak highly enough of the below run. Some of the tricks are so ingenious or require such technical knowledge of the game that they just look like someone hit the "win run" button. It's neat to see some things I found on my own almost 20+ years ago still being used in a run, and all of the new tricks I never even dreamed of after hours of experimenting. There were many times I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There's an explanation video floating around out there somewhere that explains most of the tricks, definitely worth a watch too if you were ever as enthralled with this game as I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtI5HM7GVGY

A few of my favorite parts:

3:55 -- hitting a trigger_changelevel that the mapper put up in the ceiling for some reason. Normally these are out of reach, or only accessible when you're changing level anyway, but it's like this one was placed just for a speed run. I never had any idea this existed, and I'm guessing they found it poking around in the map file.

15:00 -- Snark jump!

16:05 -- normally, when a door shuts on you, you lose 1 health. Some doors will continuously do so, causing your health to rapidly drain as long as you are blocking the door. Some poor mapper set the damage on this door to -1 instead of 1, so it gives you health. Of course, it's one of the doors that does continuous "damage." This is used to gain almost 5000 health, which is then used for the rest of the run to perform as many grenade/gauss jumps as possible without worrying about the damage.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
RPG Limit Break game list is out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XP9xfBHOB7oiaq12JJO5CLrRWHUaR5qVOYbNKB0zfq0/htmlview

Decent mix and a lot less heavy on the FF this time. Couple awful games in there too.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

I hope West of Loathing has a donation incentive for Silly Walk. It'll be the save/kill the animals of the marathon.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

moeljbcp posted:

Ok that doesn't seem like as big a deal as it was made out to be. Would be curious to see how much time is lost on average on a run though. Regardless, using a mod doesn't seem like that big of an issue to me, doubly so if it's that easy to compare a modded run to an unmodded run. Even if people don't use the mod they can compare their times to those who do if it is that easy to compute.

I mean it's not like it's exciting to try to get lucky. The interesting bits of speedrunning imo are the ones based on skill, not on grinding a ton of attempts to get lucky. (Only applies when the luck really is completely out of the player's control)

Yeah, I don't think it's that big of a deal either. The item saves eight minutes and statistically will take four minutes on average to get, so the average run saves time over not doing it at all? It's not even the most egregious example of RNG I've ever seen in a game, it's not even the most egregious example of this sort of thing in games I myself have ran. Freedom Planet used to have something way more obnoxious.

infinite runners are babbies lol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kazanski posted:

16:05 -- normally, when a door shuts on you, you lose 1 health. Some doors will continuously do so, causing your health to rapidly drain as long as you are blocking the door. Some poor mapper set the damage on this door to -1 instead of 1, so it gives you health. Of course, it's one of the doors that does continuous "damage." This is used to gain almost 5000 health, which is then used for the rest of the run to perform as many grenade/gauss jumps as possible without worrying about the damage.

This door is coded that way cause right when you enter a trigger, an AI wil start moving and go through that door. Because so many things in the HLengine are tied to framerate, at certain framerates, the door would just gib the NPC. So that door is set to heal, cause you shouldn't be able to reach it anyway, and that way it won't gib the NPC, no mater what that framerate.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kikas posted:

This door is coded that way cause right when you enter a trigger, an AI wil start moving and go through that door. Because so many things in the HLengine are tied to framerate, at certain framerates, the door would just gib the NPC. So that door is set to heal, cause you shouldn't be able to reach it anyway, and that way it won't gib the NPC, no mater what that framerate.

Why wouldn’t they set the damage to 0? It sounds like, in casual playthroughs, that could end up making the soldier have 4000 health instead of Gordon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

Why wouldn’t they set the damage to 0? It sounds like, in casual playthroughs, that could end up making the soldier have 4000 health instead of Gordon.
I suspect either it'd default the damage value back to 1, or a mapper was getting frustrated with getting the scripted event to work and took the hackier road.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

infinite runners are babbies lol

maybe but tbh who gives a poo poo tho

caring about the sanctity of objective records leads to the twin galaxies "glitches are banned" nonsense

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

UberJew posted:

maybe but tbh who gives a poo poo tho

caring about the sanctity of objective records leads to the twin galaxies "glitches are banned" nonsense

I'm pretty sure you can be a little bit more nuanced about it than THAT.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm pretty sure you can be a little bit more nuanced about it than THAT.

good luck drawing the bright line anywhere that isn't silly

i'd rather just say that speedruns are all arbitrary to some extent (like every goddamn game has different timing start and timing stop, for example; goldeneye uses the to-the-second-only in game timer while i can't think of another game community that outright says any difference below a certain cutoff literally doesn't exist) and only really matter insofar as people running or watching the game care

i mean everybody complaining has zero interest in bioshock infinite runs (neither do i) so it really doesn't matter. let them do what they want there is no sanctity of the pure speedrun to be preserved

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

UberJew posted:

good luck drawing the bright line anywhere that isn't silly

It's almost as if the entire hobby is made out of ultimately arbitrary decisions.

In all seriousness, though, "modding the game to remove RNG" is definitely an outlier when it comes to weird poo poo that people allow for category decisions, so I don't know why it's so surprising that a lot of people are giving it some intense side-eye.

You're right, though, in that ultimately it's all about what people are willing to run, otherwise romhack runs wouldn't exist at all. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i've definitely seen rules for runs that were way weirder than the infinite mod.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

UberJew posted:

Not really??

I'm not even sure how you followed that thread of logic.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Double post, not even sorry

Celeste is a good speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H4Sk_y7tUY

Not a speedrun done by me but this IL of the C-side of one of the levels in Celeste is loving ridiculous and I love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dFtJMJbWE

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

celeste is a dope fuckin speedgame keep postin vids please

the secret to changing the rules is to make a long video cryin about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Finished, thanks for hanging out everyone. More real record attempts comin soon I think.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 13, 2018

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is a funny 'real life' coffee speedrun skit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yefaz8kvs94

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 14, 2018

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kazanski posted:

Gauss jump has always been possible as far as I know. There was a patch years ago that nerfed bunnyhopping. It set a kind of "speed limit" that if you went over, you would instantly lose all of your momentum and slow way down. A lot of runs use a mod that reverts the bunnyhopping back to the old style before this lame (IMHO) patch came out. The patch came out YEARS after the game was released, mostly due to the whining of casual Counterstrike players. It's more like reverting the game back to the way it "should" be than a mod. You definitely get more mileage + air control out of gauss/explosion jumps with the old bunnyhopping. It makes the speedrun a lot less boring.

As someone who once dabbled in Half-Life speedrunning, I can't speak highly enough of the below run. Some of the tricks are so ingenious or require such technical knowledge of the game that they just look like someone hit the "win run" button. It's neat to see some things I found on my own almost 20+ years ago still being used in a run, and all of the new tricks I never even dreamed of after hours of experimenting. There were many times I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There's an explanation video floating around out there somewhere that explains most of the tricks, definitely worth a watch too if you were ever as enthralled with this game as I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtI5HM7GVGY

A few of my favorite parts:

3:55 -- hitting a trigger_changelevel that the mapper put up in the ceiling for some reason. Normally these are out of reach, or only accessible when you're changing level anyway, but it's like this one was placed just for a speed run. I never had any idea this existed, and I'm guessing they found it poking around in the map file.

15:00 -- Snark jump!

Good post. Just wanted to say I also speedran HL1 and can't help myself from bunnyhopping and skipping hostiles + power up even on casual playthroughs.

As for what I think the dude probably meant wrt gauss boosting it's how a lot of runners use a script that, when releasing the charged gauss, it would rotate the camera's pitch 180 degrees which would make you shoot the beam exactly behind wherever you're looking, in a single frame, making you gain speed. I don't know if that's used in most single segment runs, because they're usually scriptless.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just in case, for those unaware, hl21 is segmented+scripted.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
At one point i was told that hl1 runs used a weird amalgam patch that had a both a glitch that was patched out and one that was introduced later which sounds way too crazy to be true

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah, I don't recall hearing anything about that but GLDSRC is strange enough as it is, and having to download the bunnyhop patch was a real (confusing) eye opener too

Proooobably talking about hl2, which used the have bunnyhopping in the original source version, which got patched out, accidentally creating ABH in the last version, and then speedrunners going *back* to the original (at least on segmented runs) because it allowed to phase through oob by quicksaving and loading repeatedly.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Naw it was definitely hl1 cause one of the things was the higher cap on speed you can get from a gaussboost

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/229553932

Kosmic beat Darbian's record in SMB by 4 frames. Time for darb to start grinding again.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Abisteen posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/229553932

Kosmic beat Darbian's record in SMB by 4 frames. Time for darb to start grinding again.
With the way frame rules work, beating the record by 4 frames means all the difference comes from 8-4, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many frames would he need to save earlier than 8-4 in order to get that additional 15?(it's 15 right?)

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Here’s some words from a reddit user on the topic of this run and additional time saves:

He got lag frame in 8-2, when attempting the Bullet Bill Glitch. It's a byproduct of doing the glitch when your score reads in a certain way (don't know exactly how off the top of my head), and loses 1 frame.
This run is essentially impossible to beat without incorporating another framerule save. The only 2 remaining humanly possible ones are the 8-3 flagpole glitch, which is hard but can be done reasonably consistently, and the 1-2 pipe clip, which is really really really really difficult.
Getting both of these would save .7 seconds, meaning the record would be pushed down to ~4:55.7X. However, there is one other option of getting 4:55- you could just do the 8-3 flagpole glitch (bringing the time to ~4:56.1), and then attempt some crazy backward acceleration tricks in 8-4 to save the last tenth of a second. Kosmic actually did one of these in this record, in the third room of 8-4. Adding a couple more of these combined with another framerule save might be enough to push it to 4:55.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Did a speedrun of Ghoul Panic for PS1, a lightgun game that has like, a dungeon crawling RPG kinda mode. I played the thing with the OFFICIAL PLAYSTATION MOUSE because I don't own a CRT to actually use a real lightgun on, I don't really recommend doing this but you can I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPFdjXNM_9A

the only other time before this was a 41 minute time so lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is everyone ready?

https://esamarathon.com/

quote:

ESA invites you to return to Växjö, Sweden for our first winter event with a ‘second stream’ / old ESA feel.

ESA Winter 2018: February 17th through 25th
However, the actual marathon schedule doesn't start till on Tuesday. https://esamarathon.com/schedule

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is everyone ready?

https://esamarathon.com/

However, the actual marathon schedule doesn't start till on Tuesday. https://esamarathon.com/schedule

What are they going to stream before then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I figure there's no real point in making a thread for that given the regular ESA threads tend to have very little activity but yeah.

I'll be heading to Växjö on Monday!