Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Masterful

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

https://youtu.be/0T9Rl30KY5A

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:lol: not what I was expecting to see today

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_9bvkaMI7k

since one of the oldest speedrun records just got tossed out, i hope todd rogers speed runs like this become a thing.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

since one of the oldest speedrun records just got tossed out

which one and why?

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
It was the world record for Dragster on atari. The reason it got thrown out was someone pointed out that what he claims was impossible in the game code. Turns out the guy that "verified" him was an old friend of his, and he "lost the tapes" because of something to do with the police. I guess the friend was arrested for something and all of his tapes were confiscated.

The guy that had the record claims that the police never gave back like 30 tapes he had to prove various records. Guy even had a Guinness world record for having so many video game world records. All of that has been revoked now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

which one and why?

Todd Rogers. Here’s a good video explaining the who and the why from before his records were stripped:
https://youtu.be/8e-H4sEHB54

tldr: The dude had friends high up in Twin Galaxies, which was the first and, originally, biggest place which compiled speedrun times. His times were absurdly sketchy, including a 1698 in a game that kills you at 1300, and a whole bunch of records that were so far ahead of the curve that they were ridiculous:

He first started gaining scrutiny a while back. One of his records was for an Atari game called Dragster, and people thought it was fishy for a while. More recently somone delved into the code of the game and found that, despite Todd Rogers having the record time at 5.51, it is actually literally impossible to beat that game in less than 5.57. That was the beginning of the end for him.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Feb 12, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

trapped mouse posted:

which one and why?

Donkey Kong or was it Pac Man?

Either way that douchebag was caught faking his scores that stayed in the books for WAY too long.

Edit: slow on the trigger today

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Either way that douchebag was caught faking his scores that stayed in the books for WAY too long.

Maybe because you're talking about old rear end videogame high score records, I've seen australian fences with higher stakes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I was 19 or 20 or something I got one of these bedspreads for my birthday (I think from my sister) and I used it for years - until the colour became too faded:

Welp that's my car bed story hope you have a nice day!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ariong posted:

Todd Rogers. Here’s a good video explaining the who and the why from before his records were stripped:

tldr: The dude had friends high up in Twin Galaxies, which was the first and, originally, biggest place which compiled speedrun times. His times were absurdly sketchy, including a 1698 in a game that kills you at 1300, and a whole bunch of records that were so far ahead of the curve that they were ridiculous:

He first started gaining scrutiny a while back. One of his records was for an Atari game called Dragster, and people thought it was fishy for a while. More recently somone delved into the code of the game and found that, despite Todd Rogers having the record time at 5.51, it is actually literally impossible to beat that game in less than 5.57. That was the beginning of the end for him.

Lol

Dude claimed to achieve a score of 1110500 in a game called Fathom

The second place record is 142

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Lol

Dude claimed to achieve a score of 1110500 in a game called Fathom

The second place record is 142

Mods please name chang to Fathomo1110500 TIA.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Man that guy is the "I unlocked Luigi in Mario 64 and the Triforce in Ocarina" kid from the playground on sad sad steroids.

E-- I want to do a parody of Cat Scratch Fever called Sad Sad Steroids does anyone have Weird Al's number?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Man that guy is the "I unlocked Luigi in Mario 64 and the Triforce in Ocarina" kid from the playground on sad sad steroids.

I looked into the story a little more and yeah lol he totally is

(Koziel is the guy who decompiled the game)

quote:

“There’s like nine ways to shift in Dragster — and I don’t share that with too many people — but [Koziel is] going on one specific pattern where you stay in first gear and second gear quite a bit of time,” Rogers told Kotaku’s Heather Alexandra. “I could sit in front of a TV right now and play for an hour straight and get 650 different types of play and it would never be the same. If [Koziel’s] basing his spreadsheets and his shifting on one particular pattern, then that’s pretty ignorant and closed-minded, because you’re not factoring in the human element of how the game would respond.”

Unfazed, Koziel challenged Rogers again by saying his reasoning was “factually inaccurate.”

“[In Dragster] there is exactly one code block responsible for checking whether a player is changing shift state,” Koziel wrote in response to the Kotaku article. “That shift is completely binary: either the player is engaging it, or they are not.”

except he's 53 years old, not ten.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The fact that that guy made up so many fake records is funny/sad enough, but imagine being the guy that cares so much about the record on a game that most people have never heard of that he'd go digging through the code to expose him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dammit you rear end-eater he was after THE TRUTH and that makes him a goddamn American hero :911:*

*may not indicate actual American values

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The article states that Koziel claims to have no particular grievance with Rogers, and says he has never met the guy or spoken to him, and he only decompiled the game in the interest of doing better tool-assisted speedruns. Discovering that it's impossible to achieve the same score that guy was claiming was accidental.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, one out of three's not bad. Archery's way easier if you have the strength to draw a bigass bow.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Salesman. Every time. People prefer entertainment.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Byzantine bois.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ariong posted:

1698 in a game where score only goes up by 5-point increments or something, no less. Dude was lying all over he place, and extremely badly.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The fact that that guy made up so many fake records is funny/sad enough, but imagine being the guy that cares so much about the record on a game that most people have never heard of that he'd go digging through the code to expose him.
The funny part isn't really that he lied, it's that he lied so badly, and the admins of Twin Galaxies, the site keeping these records, went to bat for him so hard. It took ages for them to realize "wait, maybe we need to do something here".

Also, for reference, this is what Dragster looks like:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Not below the waist now i owe you or the singer a punch

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The article states that Koziel claims to have no particular grievance with Rogers, and says he has never met the guy or spoken to him, and he only decompiled the game in the interest of doing better tool-assisted speedruns. Discovering that it's impossible to achieve the same score that guy was claiming was accidental.

I don't believe that for a second. Clearly, the man was deranged and spending thousands of hours pouring over the game's code obsessed with Rogers' high score and convinced that something didn't add up and he'd prove that he was a phony to the world.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same, but I picture him in a newspaper bullpen, wearing a discolored short sleeves button down, chain smoking and making numerous calls to his sources.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Sagebrush posted:

“There’s like nine ways to shift in Dragster — and I don’t share that with too many people — but [Koziel is] going on one specific pattern where you stay in first gear and second gear quite a bit of time,” Rogers told Kotaku’s Heather Alexandra. “I could sit in front of a TV right now and play for an hour straight and get 650 different types of play and it would never be the same. If [Koziel’s] basing his spreadsheets and his shifting on one particular pattern, then that’s pretty ignorant and closed-minded, because you’re not factoring in the human element of how the game would respond.”

Unfazed, Koziel challenged Rogers again by saying his reasoning was “factually inaccurate.”

“[In Dragster] there is exactly one code block responsible for checking whether a player is changing shift state,” Koziel wrote in response to the Kotaku article. “That shift is completely binary: either the player is engaging it, or they are not.”

What about a half-shift?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Zereth posted:

The funny part isn't really that he lied, it's that he lied so badly, and the admins of Twin Galaxies, the site keeping these records, went to bat for him so hard. It took ages for them to realize "wait, maybe we need to do something here".

I found the thread on TG's website and one mod was just going CRAZY defending the guy

Taking about how the timing could be wrong on the Atari and ignoring the guy saying "no, that won't change my result"

And he keeps quoting "witnesses" that nobody knows who they are and Todd told them about himself

It's really funny

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

No
loving
Way

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
^^ I sat down with a pencil and a piece of paper to be 100% sure and, well, way.

:smugdog:
Hypothesis: Math memes are good.

Homework: Disprove by counterexample

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

theflyingorc posted:

I found the thread on TG's website and one mod was just going CRAZY defending the guy

Taking about how the timing could be wrong on the Atari and ignoring the guy saying "no, that won't change my result"

And he keeps quoting "witnesses" that nobody knows who they are and Todd told them about himself

It's really funny

Look up his imdb page. In 2012 he played himself in the movies The King of Cons and The Perfect Fraudman. How did no one figure this out?