Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Anyone else watch the 2016 miniseries Stag? It's just started airing here and it's quite entertaining. Surprised I hadn't heard anything about it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Octy posted:

Anyone else watch the 2016 miniseries Stag? It's just started airing here and it's quite entertaining. Surprised I hadn't heard anything about it before.

Yea, people talked about it in the original thread. It was good, but it wasn't anything amazing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. Fun concept done well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The stag night in the Highlands going bloody one?

Yeah I enjoyed that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Not amazing but really good

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

Little Britain was pretty dire in retrospect, but the first tv series wasn't nearly as repugnant as the second was, where every new character seemed to be based around a new bodily fluid.

I think I said this before here, but the radio series they started off with is pretty good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I think I said this before here, but the radio series they started off with is pretty good.

I wish I could listen to things like radio but just speech with no images at all completely loses me. I can't just sit and listen to music either. The voice in my head is louder I guess.

I enjoyed planet rock profiles and was pretty gutted when their followup was such loving poo poo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Taear posted:

I wish I could listen to things like radio but just speech with no images at all completely loses me. I can't just sit and listen to music either. The voice in my head is louder I guess.

I enjoyed planet rock profiles and was pretty gutted when their followup was such loving poo poo.
I can listen to music, but radio or podcasts are strictly a travel-time thing for me, I find it hard to concentrate otherwise.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Who here likes telly

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

partial to it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pissflaps posted:

Who here likes telly

I don't even own a telly. :smug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which police show had a recurring character who went about dressed as a creepy-looking scarecrow with a cloth sack over his head and a fedora? I feel like it was Heartbeat but I'm not sure.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

Don’t lie to me !!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which police show had a recurring character who went about dressed as a creepy-looking scarecrow with a cloth sack over his head and a fedora? I feel like it was Heartbeat but I'm not sure.

Bergerac

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

happyhippy posted:

Absolute Power was way better as a radio series than the TV show, so I could believe it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Blue Jam is absolutely made by its music, even if Jam did give us The Day Kilroy Went Mad

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Some new info about the new Alan Partridge is out - it’s going to be called This Time with Alan Partridge, apparently the concept is that he’s taking over the show as a temporary host after someone else pulls out. Tim Key’s in it, so presumably Sidekick Simon is coming along, and apparently the show will be “a heady mix of consumer affairs, current affairs, viewer interaction, highbrow interview and lightweight froth” which excites me as it reminds me of the mental Noel’s HQ.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Some new info about the new Alan Partridge is out - it’s going to be called This Time with Alan Partridge, apparently the concept is that he’s taking over the show as a temporary host after someone else pulls out. Tim Key’s in it, so presumably Sidekick Simon is coming along, and apparently the show will be “a heady mix of consumer affairs, current affairs, viewer interaction, highbrow interview and lightweight froth” which excites me as it reminds me of the mental Noel’s HQ.

The press release suggests that it will be more like BBC's "The One Show".

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's a new series of Go 8-Bit if anyone likes that. Same old stuff, it's not gonna change anyone's mind but it's there.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Slash posted:

The press release suggests that it will be more like BBC's "The One Show".

I’m not sure you can even spoof the one show. It’s too demented.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I applaud Partridge in all forms.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SEX BURRITO posted:

I’m not sure you can even spoof the one show. It’s too demented.

Seriously, how do you spoof something that makes Knowing Me Knowing You look like Newsnight?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Before the new show was announced, I expected the next Partridge thing would be running a podcast out of his garage. I like that he’s been given another chance in the public eye before another, inevitable crash.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I look forward to his meltdown which will somehow lead to him knocking out somebody more powerful with some form of food. It'll be champion.

I'd like the podcast idea simply so he describes his weird little custom house set up.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It'll end with another guest being shot on air.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
For TV that is literally beyond parody AND features Noel Edmonds you can't beat Cheap Cheap Cheap which is the most bizarre show to have been commissioned in decades even though I couldn't bring myself to sit though a whole episode

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He also runs a series of internet radio stations including one specifically to dunk on Lloyd's bank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42963128

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 12, 2018

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Go 8 bit is poo poo now they do shows without comedians on

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Literally every Alan Partridge thing has been amazing and they all taken advantage of their medium in the writing, so this will probably be amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm genuinely amazed Noel Edmonds didn't throw his hat into the UKIP leadership ring. He seems like the sort who'd be the UK version of Donald Trump.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

It'll end with another guest being shot on air.

With the same dueling pistols too, of course.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Paladinus posted:

:same:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Both the Alan Partridge books are good (Nomad is a little weaker) but as audiobooks they're absolutely essential.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thehustler posted:

Go 8 bit is poo poo now they do shows without comedians on

I'll watch it if they make them play Dota.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Mid Techies only

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This 18th century music in Britain documentary on iPlayer is fantastic if you like that sort of thing, should watch it before it vanishes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The first series of TMWRNJ started 20 years ago. :rip:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

crispix posted:

The first series of TMWRNJ started 20 years ago. :rip:

Fist of Fun is even older!
We recently watched all of TMWRNJ on Youtube which was a fun trip. I wish Fist of Fun season 2 was as easy to get.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Taear posted:

Fist of Fun is even older!
We recently watched all of TMWRNJ on Youtube which was a fun trip. I wish Fist of Fun season 2 was as easy to get.

I know, I just meant it's 20 years ago to the day tomorrow. I am getting to that age where I comment wistfully on how long ago things were, I suppose. Anyway I can remember watching it on Sundays because I thought it was a kids' programme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Absolute Power was way better as a radio series than the TV show, so I could believe it.

It always struck me that Charles in the TV series was a combination of the strongest aspects of both Charles and Martin from the radio show, thereby rendering Martin entirely pointless as a character - whereas the joy in the radio series was Martin having brief moments of inspired brilliance and outclassing the scheming yet striving Charles. And none of the TV supporting characters come close to the brilliance of Gayle Shand.

The radio show is rather more of its time, I suppose, being focused on the Blair spin era. The prison riot episodes remain my favourites.

Martin: And a riot in Brixton is part of the masterplan?
Charles: Welllllll, what's a riot amongst friends?
Martin: They've taken two Labour MPs hostage!
Charles: The prime minister's got hundreds of Labour MPs...