Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i predict that beef will probably end up becoming a niche item that only the super rich eat, kinda like it was in ancient greece, where all the poors ate grains or maybe sometimes fowl/chickens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

China already has massive ghost cities as a result of trying to construct new urban centers and failing to fill them with people. Many of these projects are investment opportunities for real estate developers and other capitalist actors continuing to grow their wealth off the exploitation of others. https://www.wired.com/2016/02/kai-caemmerer-unborn-cities/

Construction and real estate is a huge part of their economy still

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
The environmental debate always boils down to an argument between people who think we are at peak Walmart and people who believe the nature of Walmart is limitless and eternal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Even the most self-sufficient farms require massive influx of outside resources to get the ball rolling. Including labor, transportation to/from markets and so on. Have animals? Great, better grow enough to feed them or you'll be dumping cash into foodstock. Don't have animals? Better get ready to dump cash into fertilizer. Don't have space for garden and grazing AND shelter AND housing? Don't bother.

Also the labour to take care of all of that!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/962792608912166912

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

:allears:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there an actual example of energy consumption going down or is it always just oh poo poo (technology) got more efficient, better use twice as much of it

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

aphid_licker posted:

Is there an actual example of energy consumption going down or is it always just oh poo poo (technology) got more efficient, better use twice as much of it

Capitalism's hunger for endless exponential growth makes a drop in energy consumption basically impossible. We will expand to fill any gap that efficiency can get us.

e: it's analogous to the problem with labor. Productivity from machines makes us able to do way more production with way less time than we could before, but the only reductions in the working week come from labor unions or governments forcing it to happen.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

rudatron posted:

i predict that beef will probably end up becoming a niche item that only the super rich eat, kinda like it was in ancient greece, where all the poors ate grains or maybe sometimes fowl/chickens

This is me irl,and i live in a country that makes some of the best pork\beef in the world.ive actually gained weight,but that may be because soy bolognese is loving delicious.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

rudatron posted:

i predict that the US and the developed world will nuke the Global South before giving up meat for the average person.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was gonna say the US is not typical of beef consumption, it consumes more beef than any other country in the world and it's not even close. 4% of world population consuming 20% of the world's beef

But also lamb is cheaper than beef and Egypt, a country with like 100 million people, calls Eid Adha "Eid of Meat" because it's the only budgeted lamb expense for a lot of families for the entire year

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

aphid_licker posted:

nope. jevon's paradox always wins.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

i predict that the US and the developed world will nuke the Global South before giving up meat for the average person.
Virgin Meat Eater vs. Chad Soyboy

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

best case scenario is that it shifts to something marginally less bad (natural gas replacing coal)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Growth was tapering off recently to I think almost flat right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is Wall Street burning yet

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

M_Gargantua posted:

It was also brought up that the price varies wildly based on location and permitting. If the US begun a systematic process of nuclear upgrade and rollout of one or two modernized Gen3+ designs, the multi-billion dollar permitting and licencing cost would become amorticized over the total number of deployments. Avoiding NIMBY issues location selection can also be fast tracked by national effort.

The lifetime cost of building, maintaining, and operating a reactor are equivalent to any fossil fuel plant otherwise.

If.

I mean, yeah, I'm super in the tank pro-nuclear but the NRC couldn't organize an orgy in a brothel, and that's by design.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is Wall Street burning yet

open is in 15 minutes :f5:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Up 330, guess if we want it to burn, gotta do it ourselves

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
what a fuckin graph

https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/963061417707372545

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TVs are now free

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/963063226652151813

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
on the one hand, all the necessities of life, vital health services, and chances of social mobility, are all becoming more and more expensive

but on the other hand, stupid apps and tvs are cheap

who can say for sure whether or not capitalism is bad :shrug:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I hate him way more than a lot of other folks in this criminal government

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

He would definitely be one of the first ones against the wall

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

rudatron posted:

on the one hand, all the necessities of life, vital health services, and chances of social mobility, are all becoming more and more expensive

but on the other hand, stupid apps and tvs are cheap

who can say for sure whether or not capitalism is bad :shrug:

in case you weren’t around back when this happened and missed it: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE72A4AC20110311

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

When reading this graph one has to keep in mind that the Wages growth doesn't really look anywhere near as nice for 90% of people, while the price inflation applies to all the same...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

TVs are now free

It's incredible how far can you stretch the tightest family budget these days by substituting meat and milk protein with polymers from TVs. The kids might groan and complain at first but all complaints quickly go quiet after a steady diet of TV stew for a couple weeks.

Teal fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 12, 2018

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I will keep this in mind so I can really savor it the next time I buy everyday consumer items such as clothing, household furnishings, televisions and wages.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

from the stock advice thread

hostile apostle posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tradeXIV/comments/7wty32/i_lost_14_million_and_now_i_am_bankrupt/

quote:

I worked/invested 30 years to build a comfortable net worth of $1.2 million. I was set for life. Now it is over. I had a position in short options on volatility in SVXY, VXX, UVXY. I was nervous over Super Bowl weekend and made up my mind to lighten up on the open Monday. I did a bit, but then the market recovered and I thought I would be ok. Then it fell again, and I froze. Then later in the day, I closed out more, but not enough. I watched in horror the after-hours fall from 72 to 12 in SVXY knowing it wiped me out. My $110k IRA is now worth $11k, my $900k trading account is not only worth $0, I now owe my broker over $400k. I have no other money. I have to declare bankruptcy. My 250k house is all I have left. My biggest fear in life was going broke, and now I am there. I would kill myself if not for a promise I made to my elderly mother and father who need my help. I never needed to take this risk as I live very frugally on less than 25k a year. I cannot sleep. I lost 5% of my body weight. I wish it were just a bad dream but it is real. I wish I had never been born. I just want the pain to end.

It's unbelievable to me that people put all of their life savings in these products...

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

it's unbelievable we dont have proper social security so nincompoops who lose everything on roulette don't contemplate suicide

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

"I gambled my entire life savings on something that could have zeroed out at literally any moment and it finally bit me in the rear end"

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
ponzi schemes for the rubes, etfs for the petit bourgeois.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hubris.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
don't be too harsh on rubes, our entire culture pushes the idea that you're trash if you're haven't 'made it', and you can't ever 'make it' without either being incredibly lucky or if you inherited wealth

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

from the stock advice thread

It's unbelievable to me that people put all of their life savings in these products...
[/quote]

trump

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

TVs are now free

That charity in Videodrome that donated TV watching time to homeless people

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
market seems to be recovering as of yet, dow up 1,6 %...

Dead cat bounce or did we call the end of capitalism in advance?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

nothing has changed since chaos week but nothing catastrophic has happened so it's probably just gonna be wildly volatile for a few more weeks until something structural gives way and the bottom falls out, which iirc is how most of the recent recessions got started

it's kind of impossible to predict exactly when that will happen given how opaque the world of finance is, though. tbh im glad it's going up today because I'm selling my piddly ~6k of mutual funds at whatever the close price is today

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

White Rock posted:

Let me see here, now, I am just a simple kind of dummy but as far as I can understand, as many people have pointed out, there has been a lot of coverage about "good news" being responsible for the "market correction" in the sense that there was a strong showing for wage growth which spooked Wall Street because the go to reaction to wage growth is a hike in interest rates on the part of the fed. Since the whole purpose of the economy since the last market crash has been "ensure rich people face no consequences" with all the "quantitative easing" and "non-existing interest rates", this structural motivation to raise interest rates is what people are saying caused this reckoning.

I think that means that the whole thing is unable to face a shock caused by the normal operating rules and procedures which govern the organized economy's behavior, so it's looking pretty hosed up because the fed is on track to get interest rates up to 2% by the end of the year as far as I understand and maybe that won't gently caress everything up forever, but it might, I guess.

Some of that might be on target, someone set me straight, I am doing my best here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

White Rock posted:

a dead cat bounce comes after a market crash (when people with money try to buy the bottom), which hasn't really happened yet

what's happening right now is either a return to "normal" after a market correction, or a bull trap

finance is full of bullshit slang, don't worry about it too much

the bitcoin of weed posted:

nothing has changed since chaos week but nothing catastrophic has happened so it's probably just gonna be wildly volatile for a few more weeks until something structural gives way and the bottom falls out, which iirc is how most of the recent recessions got started

yeah that's been my read of the situation. the gains got so consistent that people are getting spooked and wondering if this is really based on anything (it's not), now there's gonna be pushing back and forth