Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I regularly do well in the meters with Blaze. It’s not that he bursts particularly hard, it’s that he never stops

420 blaze snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I always forget he has some good regen and die fighting him and get mad at myself. Blaze good. One match we had the enemy Blaze catch us bunched and stunned the whole team into a Hanzo dragon ult. I looked at my ceiling and laughed at god.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
If you go combustion you can burst quite well too by going propulsion, combustion, pyromania and ignited oil.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Even though Maiev is currently on everyone's mind it's important to remember that Hanzo is still some fuckin bullshit. That Immortal clearspeed is ridiculous.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The 5 or 6 ults in 2-3 minutes was also something else.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Charles Bukowski posted:

The 5 or 6 ults in 2-3 minutes was also something else.

Yeah but it's 5 or 6 Dragonstrikes. Notice that at no point did Grubby actually kill anyone with any of those, he was basically just messing around at that point.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was surprised he didnt get that Diablo with that last one before they stopped farming damage, dude was hurt and running in it.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kai Tave posted:

Even though Maiev is currently on everyone's mind it's important to remember that Hanzo is still some fuckin bullshit. That Immortal clearspeed is ridiculous.

That's disgusting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget that once you complete his level 7 oil fire quest he can heal for about 1/3rd his bar every time he lights a slick on fire.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lucifirius posted:

That's disgusting.

It's like the Explosive Arrow thing I brought up earlier...the problem with Hanzo isn't really his base kit imo, it's that he has a plethora of bonkers broken talents that let him do insanely stupid poo poo. By basic abilities alone he isn't nearly as ridiculous as Genji or overtuned as Maiev, but there's no reason he should be able to talent into having excellent waveclear or the ability to spam scatter arrows every two seconds or laying insane armor debuffs onto people.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget that once you complete his level 7 oil fire quest he can heal for about 1/3rd his bar every time he lights a slick on fire.

I’ve been moving away from that and towards incinerator gauntlets for the absurd waveclear. In a fight I have close to 100% uptime on oil anyways between spills, slicks and stimpack.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What makes or breaks solo tanks is their capacity for reliable hard CC (with an emphasis on reliable) and the ability to completely lock someone down. ETC, Muradin, Garrosh, Diablo, and Johanna all have stuns and displacements at their disposal, usually paired with some form of additional movement ability to help them get in and out as necessary. Blaze's hard CC is not reliable (because it can be body-blocked) and he lacks the ability to completely lock someone down (because his only source of hard CC is Jet Propulsion), meaning that he's not great at peel and his initiation can be fudged. He has the potential to be a solo tank, but Peak Blaze is achieved when you're nestled in the middle of the enemy team and soaking up the absurd heals from a burning Oil Spill and shrugging off damage with Pyromania, so you'll need a very beefy backline that can handle its own sustain and/or peel.

Also re: Blaze's damage output, dude is absolutely packed to the brim with AoE abilities. His damage is typically dealt to a lot of people over a long period of time, and that jacks up his numbers enormously.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
HGC teams are running blaze as solo tank just fine.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Erdricks posted:

HGC teams are running blaze as solo tank just fine.

>HGC

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
BITCHES I'M BACK BACK AND TAKING THE HIGHWAY TO MURKYTOWN (he better still be good)

P.S. TCJimbo I love you

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Archimago posted:

BITCHES I'M BACK BACK AND TAKING THE HIGHWAY TO MURKYTOWN (he better still be good)

P.S. TCJimbo I love you

he still good

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archimago posted:

P.S. TCJimbo I love you

Murky is in fact amazing.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Murky is in fact amazing.

I just led my team to victory despite having not played in a year so...confirmed.

What's accepted Best Talent Build for him these days? These talents are all new.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
Murky is actually not the absolute worst at the moment.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Archimago posted:

I just led my team to victory despite having not played in a year so...confirmed.

What's accepted Best Talent Build for him these days? These talents are all new.

I personally like to go Full Slime.

Level 1 could be anything but then you go

Slime Time,

Black Lagoon,

either ult (but I like march),

either rejuvenating bubble or fish tank, qbased on how auto attack heavy they are,

either fish oil or the auto attack talent, based on how confident I am about being able to auto,

making inky or big tuna kahuna, based on how quickly I get vaporised

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

tcjimbo posted:

Murky is actually not the absolute worst at the moment.

Murky has always been the best.

Did you miss me, jimbo?

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
My winrate didn't

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Murky is the best character in the game fyi

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Archimago posted:

My own personal build lately is:

1). Fish Eye or Fishy Deal. Fish Eye works great on certain maps (Volskaya in particular since bribe is kinda pointless but also being able to see the point is useful) and against certain comps. If they're running a Valeera and you have some ranged attackers Fish Eye can be a great way to ruin their day. On the other hand bribe on certain maps is real useful. Sky Temple for example, you can exert a lot of pressure by stealing enemy siege camps.

3). Someone here turned me onto Tufferfish and honestly I think it might be my favorite of the bunch. It enhances both your already decent waveclear and also makes your pufferfish more of a threat in teamfights. The others aren't bad though, Slime Time is good if you have a beefy enemy hero you can slime a bunch without too much trouble to build stacks, low damage tanks like Blaze are ideal. I wouldn't pick Slime Time against a very bursty comp though. Living the Dream is the basic all-rounder but again, it suffers against bursty comps where you die quick.

7). I generally favor Time to Krill for added slow/DoT on melee attacks. This works well against mage-type characters who are generally squishy, have modest to generous cooldowns on their abilities, and don't like being stuck out of position. Is melee attacking not likely to work for you? Black Lagoon makes it easier to land slimes. Do they have a Butcher or maybe a Valeera that's focusing you down? Slippery When Wet.

10). Macaluso swears by March of the Murlocs, I swear by Octo-Grab. For me, March of the Murlocs has too high a cooldown and simply isn't all that impactful a lot of the time when I've used it. Octo-Grab is a 3 second stun on a ridiculously short cooldown, and even uncoordinated clown fiesta quickmatch teams seem able to pick up on the fact that three uninterrupted seconds to beat someone up is a great way to secure a kill. You can use it every teamfight. You can use it between teamfights. You can use it by yourself, just slime them, toss a tufferfish when they get down low enough, and grab them.

13). For me, this is Egg Shell. Having that extra stack of hitpoints, temporary though it may be, is a big game changer. Rejuvenating Bubble won't help you much if the enemy team is too bursty for you to get a lot of work done before dying. Fish Tank is an interesting talent but I don't think I've ever gone against a comp where I felt it would be worth taking.

16). At 16 you either take Fish Oil or Toxic Buildup. Fish Oil is a great choice in general, it gives you a ranged slime application, synergizes well with Tufferfish, it makes stacking Slime Time easier, it's more slime and more slime is good. On the other hand, Toxic Buildup. Toxic Buildup gives you a slime cast every 3 auto-attacks. Murky has a 1.25 attack speed. Combined with your regular 4 second CD Slime ability, this essentially gives you an output that's roughly on par with Making Inky at level 20, except you get it 4 levels early. The catch is this only applies to heroes...not to minions, structures, mercenary camps, plant monsters, not nothing. So the question at 16 is do you want to be better at a bunch of different things or do you want to laser-focus on slapping people to death? I generally go Toxic Buildup unless the comp really punishes it.

20). Did you go for the melee talents and Egg Shell? Take Big Tuna Kahuna. You now respawn with over 6000 hitpoints and can trade into basically anyone in the game and win. Did you go for talents like Slime Time and Fish Oil? Take Making Inky, then take every single mercenary camp on the map singlehandedly.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 12, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah at the end of the day, Murky feels like one of the few characters who can go any of the builds we post here and not feel gimped. Some of it is team comps and some of it is just personal feel, but you can't really go wrong with any of Murky's talents. He's a very powerful fish boy.

I love chasing people as Murky at 20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl02t9jDsQ

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Murky also has the best talent names.

I do find some animosity to him from non-believer team mates in hero league though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like all Dragonstrike would need to be good is to move slightly slower and maybe have a slightly smaller arming range. It would still be a situational pick compared to crystal arrow but at least it could zone better and not require you to be a mile away from the fight to aim it properly.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Tyrael is a really loving fun character that almost nobody plays. Also he's a transformer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Putting this in-line so others can see the :randstare:

I'm excite to try redemption (lvl 1 AA speed) in the scatter arrow build so I too can poo poo out scatter arrows at an insane clip.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Redemption -> scatter arrows is definitely my favorite Hanzo build. Not only do you explode all PvE but you also explode anyone on the enemy team who stands near a wall every two seconds.

Amusingly, since the last set of nerfs Hanzo now has almost exactly the same pick and win rates as Genji.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

{murky stuff}

Much appreciated.

Sounds like Murky is still the fishman I know and love.

I have a dedicated Murky account named Murky so pubbies don't even try to complain.

Edit: Also holy poo poo, there's a lot of new nonsense/heroes/gimmicks/everything.

ee. How can the MVP be on the losing team?

Archimago fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 12, 2018

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A losing player can win MVP, especially in long games. There might be an assassin that gets a ton of kills per death, but their team still loses; or a tank that lives for most of the game and soaks damage, but their team couldn't push in to win.

The score algo is here, dunno if it's been updated in the past year:
https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/53av50/fyi_how_the_mvp_is_chosen/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PantsBandit posted:

Tyrael is a really loving fun character that almost nobody plays. Also he's a transformer.

How are people building him now that the rework has had some time to settle in? I want to like the guy but many of his talents don’t feel super impactful.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
justice for all = more survivability for ur friends
stalwart angel = soak more damage
swift retribution
judgement if need dive, sanct if need anti dive
holy ground
horadric reforging
whatever works for 20

he seems to have less mana problems now which is most excellent

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"don't ban maiev, we have fp" *highlights maiev*

*maiev is banned*

every time

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SirSamVimes posted:

"don't ban maiev, we have fp" *highlights maiev*

*maiev is banned*

every time

You have to respect the community's observance of bushido, it would be dishonorable to win with the most overpowered hero

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

EdRush posted:

You have to respect the community's observance of bushido, it would be dishonorable to win with the most overpowered hero

I won with Murky instead so it was still p. dishonourable.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

How are people building him now that the rework has had some time to settle in? I want to like the guy but many of his talents don’t feel super impactful.

The most popular HGC build seems to be 2/1/3/whichever you feel works best/2 or 3/3/whichever.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
How do you play someone like Illidan and not just get blown up immediately as you go in? It felt like once I committed, I had to just keep hitting someone and hopefully not explode. I also couldn't kill someone fast enough if someone was alone, like I would have been able to with Greymane. What is it I'm not understanding here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

Sjonkel posted:

How do you play someone like Illidan and not just get blown up immediately as you go in? It felt like once I committed, I had to just keep hitting someone and hopefully not explode. I also couldn't kill someone fast enough if someone was alone, like I would have been able to with Greymane. What is it I'm not understanding here?

You need to be able to read the situation and know what you are capable of which just takes practice.