Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I always felt like Daphne was downgraded to fit the romance plot.

Her introduction was great. One remark from Martin and she clocks the tension. Makes a couple jabs at Frasier and starts charming Martin. He's the patient so she gets the job. Bullshits Frasier to make the position live-in. I thought it was a great introduction.

Then eventually the writers start playing the obliviousness straight and all that. Like, really?

Ideally, they would've played it like low-key 'settling' but with a rich dude.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They had to bend both her and Niles' characters into knots to make them even remotely believable as a couple. Not to mention bending space time around them to make their former spouses the worst people ever so we wouldn't have to think what they did was terrible.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This is a racial slur in the same vein as any other. Not as incendiary, of course, but still the same thing. Probably don't want to just toss that around willy nilly unless you're used to using real colorful language for your black and Chinese friends.

Someone's never been to the wop lobster

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And apparently Italians and Spaniards are a race now. It's neat what you can learn about your own heritage online!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You still shouldn't have said what you said.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dago Denny's is awesome. :colbert:

Never ending pasta isn't as good as never ending shrimp at Red Lobster, but smashing breadsticks into vodka sauce until you can barely walk out for $20 is a deal.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And apparently Italians and Spaniards are a race now. It's neat what you can learn about your own heritage online!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

This is a racial slur in the same vein as any other. Not as incendiary, of course, but still the same thing. Probably don't want to just toss that around willy nilly unless you're used to using real colorful language for your black and Chinese friends.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You bad, BAD boy you. Better call Officer Nasty in on this dude.

https://imgur.com/a/Csk1V

Odd, there's not a clip of this scene on YT (that I could find). Frasier is interviewing a stripper for Donnie's bachelor party, and handcuffs himself to her in the bathroom. What season was that anyway? I'm wanting to say 7 or 8.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah, we can all agree with that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solice Kirsk posted:

They had to bend both her and Niles' characters into knots to make them even remotely believable as a couple. Not to mention bending space time around them to make their former spouses the worst people ever so we wouldn't have to think what they did was terrible.

Though iirc, they were building up both of them as being a lot more screwed up than they seemed from their introductions, weren't they?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Though iirc, they were building up both of them as being a lot more screwed up than they seemed from their introductions, weren't they?

Donny was portrayed pretty well, I don't remember any major flaws of his.

Mel was portrayed as female Niles, but somehow even moreso, so she came across a lot worse, particularly when she made him jump through hoops for a simple divorce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's outright said at some point that she's Maris all over again. (then again, Maris did seem like a more exaggerated female Niles as well)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mel was exactly like Frasier and Niles, as far as they ever showed. The only difference is they didn't light up the "laugh" sign when she acted like a pompous rear end in a top hat. Frasier said she was Maris all over again because she told Niles to run for corkmaster and he beat Frasier.

But it's already known that I'm literally the only person in the world that is on Team Mel.

I think the entire series would have been a lot better if they had just had Daphne stick to her decision to not get together and dragged out the tension between them for another 3 seasons. The end of their marriages could have grown a lot more naturally (maybe Donny works too much and ignores Daphne, Mel's craziness could have had time to naturally surface) and Daphne/Niles characters could have changed more so that they would actually be believable as a couple.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mel was exactly like Frasier and Niles, as far as they ever showed. The only difference is they didn't light up the "laugh" sign when she acted like a pompous rear end in a top hat. Frasier said she was Maris all over again because she told Niles to run for corkmaster and he beat Frasier.

But it's already known that I'm literally the only person in the world that is on Team Mel.

I think the entire series would have been a lot better if they had just had Daphne stick to her decision to not get together and dragged out the tension between them for another 3 seasons. The end of their marriages could have grown a lot more naturally (maybe Donny works too much and ignores Daphne, Mel's craziness could have had time to naturally surface) and Daphne/Niles characters could have changed more so that they would actually be believable as a couple.

Mel was a bit unhinged but they did an absolutely awful job of making her villainous. The parts were all there, but they didn't execute, which is really jarring since the writing up to that point was usually great. I felt bad for her.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I felt bad for her.

Same here, honestly. She had literally just gotten married and then finds out that her husband never really loved her at all shortly afterwards. That's super hosed up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Donnie's craziness is all post facto with him wanting to sue Daphne and Frasier for breach of contract and wanting to get married immediately again to get over Daphne but never actually getting over her

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The worst part of Mel was that she was honestly perfect for Niles and he’d have had more or less the life he always wanted if she’d been his real wife because he’d be the most influential and eternally youthful man in Seattle.

But pip-pip bums your knickers or whatever and here we are.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mel was the barrier that stood between us and Daphne's family, and her downfall brought about a reign of bleak chaos.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

reminder that mel bullies niles into unnecessary cosmetic surgery in literally the scene she is introduced

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mel was exactly like Frasier and Niles, as far as they ever showed. The only difference is they didn't light up the "laugh" sign when she acted like a pompous rear end in a top hat.

this whole show is like ten seasons of watching frasier and niles get dunked on by literally everyone tho when their pompousness eventually earns their comeuppance whose consequences range from: terrifically failed dinner parties, driving away dates, friends & family, depression about getting beaten at chess by your dad, etc - the show doesn't really have that much of double standard here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

reminder that mel bullies niles into unnecessary cosmetic surgery in literally the scene she is introduced

Not to mention he got a mole removed because he still didn't have the courage to ask out her out. I think that's more on him than her. Suggesting she could get rid of lines on his forehead and him agreeing is because he was afraid to ask her out and is a push over, not because she's a bully. He's still a push over when he dates Daphne. It's pretty much his dominant (heh) trait.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I think I've only seen it once, but I remember squirming pretty hard through the episode where Niles and Daphne are trying to come up with pet names for each other. I think one of them was locked on the roof?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Big City Drinkin posted:

I think I've only seen it once, but I remember squirming pretty hard through the episode where Niles and Daphne are trying to come up with pet names for each other. I think one of them was locked on the roof?

I like to think that a few episodes before the whole shipping of niles and daphne starts, niles gets hit by frasiers car and goes into a coma. The last few seasons are just his fever dream. Frasier leaving Seattle symbolises him finally letting go and subsequent death

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

There's that episode where Daphne is building that shelf for Martin and Niles says she's worse than his dad. She's his dad. He married his dad. That's their chemistry.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Skratte posted:

There's that episode where Daphne is building that shelf for Martin and Niles says she's worse than his dad. She's his dad. He married his dad. That's their chemistry.

Well to be fair he chose between marrying himself and marrying his dad, so I think he made the right choice

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Mel liked Niles for all his worst characteristics and wanted him to double down on them. She was perfect for season one Niles.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Make toast

Think about the scourge that is toast sweat

Remember John Mahoney died

Feel sad

Watch Frasier

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm trying to think of any growth that Niles or Daphne went through after getting together. The only thing I remember is Niles going through that naked phase.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm trying to think of any growth that Niles or Daphne went through after getting together. The only thing I remember is Niles going through that naked phase.

Daphne calls out Niles on idolizing her and also respecting her beliefs and Niles stops loving Daphne for who he thought she was and starts loving her for who she really is, a psychic psycho bad cook

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Good YouTuber Binging with Babish made a Frasier based episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwS_DIMeVoM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm trying to think of any growth that Niles or Daphne went through after getting together.

They do kinda grow, unfortunately they just grow into more boring people.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sir Lemming posted:

They do kinda grow, unfortunately they just grow into more boring people.

So you're saying they got married.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Beachcomber posted:

So you're saying they got married.

Mercy!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

been a little bit since this was reposted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1JQGAyzmc

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Good YouTuber Binging with Babish made a Frasier based episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwS_DIMeVoM

What is up with you americans and your jewish salt. It's not like you specify the spiritual beliefs of the other ingredients

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Put some kosher salt on this sunni chicken and watch sparks fly

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ditty bout my clitty posted:

What is up with you americans and your jewish salt. It's not like you specify the spiritual beliefs of the other ingredients

Kosher salt is better because it has bigger flakes, giving it more surface area, which helps absorb moisture.

:chef:

It's just called kosher salt because Jewish people developed it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Kosher salt is better because it has bigger flakes, giving it more surface area, which helps absorb moisture.

:chef:

It's just called kosher salt because Jewish people developed it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WampaLord posted:

bigger flakes, giving it more surface area

lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sea salt or get the hell out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mohelin would be a good name for a Jewish wizard.