Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There have been outlines of what is planned already and the huge bulk of it is 'public-private partnerships'. That's fancy political talk for 'private capital buys and profits from infrastructure in any way they can while the public retains all risk of something getting hosed up and dealing with/paying for the problems'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Just don't forget to emphasize things like entrepreneurship, innovation, and wealth creation as you loot the public coffers.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

There have been outlines of what is planned already and the huge bulk of it is 'public-private partnerships'. That's fancy political talk for 'private capital buys and profits from infrastructure in any way they can while the public retains all risk of something getting hosed up and dealing with/paying for the problems'.

The UK government tried the whole Private Finance Initiative thing, except it has blown up in their face when Carillion (one of the biggest firms in the PFI project) collapsed a few weeks ago with a massive pension deficit and insolvent balance sheet.

Despite the government knowing they were on financial difficulties since mid 2017 they continued to feed them contracts. A lot of other smaller firms were reliant on Carillion subcontracts so not only do we have a lot of public sector infrastructure projects stalled like hospitals etc, but more firms are probably going to end up insolvent as a consequence.

So basically lol at that plan.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Orlando Furioso posted:

The UK government tried the whole Private Finance Initiative thing, except it has blown up in their face when Carillion (one of the biggest firms in the PFI project) collapsed a few weeks ago with a massive pension deficit and insolvent balance sheet.

Despite the government knowing they were on financial difficulties since mid 2017 they continued to feed them contracts. A lot of other smaller firms were reliant on Carillion subcontracts so not only do we have a lot of public sector infrastructure projects stalled like hospitals etc, but more firms are probably going to end up insolvent as a consequence.

So basically lol at that plan.

I was about to post this. If you think PPI are a good idea just look at us, it's a loving disaster area.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hexyflexy posted:

I was about to post this. If you think PPI are a good idea just look at us, it's a loving disaster area.

It’s all the immigrants you’re letting flood into your country.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vengarr posted:

The ISS is funded through 2024.

Yes that is correct. That hasn’t changed. The article talks about what happens after that.

I don’t think industry will bite, though.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 12, 2018

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

It’s all the immigrants you’re letting flood into your country.

We are unironically short of immigrants, to the point where our government and the press will release a report on Monday saying "We've stopped all these people coming in, isn't it wonderful!" and then on Tuesday "We can't run the hospitals, schools, factories or pick the crops due to a lack of people!". That actually happened, verbatim, last week.

It's like watching a mass schizophrenia event.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

We are unironically short of immigrants, to the point where our government and the press will release a report on Monday saying "We've stopped all these people coming in, isn't it wonderful!" and then on Tuesday "We can't run the hospitals, schools, factories or pick the crops due to a lack of people!". That actually happened, verbatim, last week.

It's like watching a mass schizophrenia event.

You have a link to this?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/963058819235549185

Olive Branch is the current Turkish offensive against kurds

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

"We can't run the hospitals, schools, factories or pick the crops due to a lack of people!".

I watched a report on the PBS News Hour last week that said p much the same thing.

Here in North Carolina the last two seasons, farmers have been having a hell of a time finding folks to work the fields. ICE starts deporting migrant workers and the locals (even the dirt poor ones) aren't willing to take up the slack.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Mods, name change, etc.

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/962811979193831424

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

You have a link to this?

This is happening every bloody week, these are from the guardian but it's reported everywhere.

Last Friday: poo poo, we have no workers
Last Monday: Immigration workers really love loving over brown people!.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I realize it is all about his power and untouchableness but, you'd think it wouldn't be tough for people to realize not to explicitly single out the reason for firing something based on a protected class in an email on your own servers. To work HR at a place like that must be a nightmare.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Hollywood just seems like a bad fit for someone who hates gay people idk, but I guess money and an unlimited rape buffet probably outweighs any homophobia

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vengarr posted:

ISIS is funded through 2024.

Misread that a little bit.

Holy poo poo. Yeah that's not going to end well for ol' Harve.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

aphid_licker posted:

If anyone itt is looking for something to read Nixonland, mentioned on the last page, and this are both amazing.

If anyone is wanting to read it, PM me and I'll send a copy. I've been putting together (albeit slowly) books from the war literature thread as well.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

dubzee posted:

I watched a report on the PBS News Hour last week that said p much the same thing.

Here in North Carolina the last two seasons, farmers have been having a hell of a time finding folks to work the fields. ICE starts deporting migrant workers and the locals (even the dirt poor ones) aren't willing to take up the slack.

Just get prison labor like the prison/plantation system deeper south.
Problem solved.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

aphid_licker posted:

If anyone itt is looking for something to read Nixonland, mentioned on the last page, and this are both amazing.

Echoing that both are pro reads. I heard Pearlstein's Reagan book wasn't as good but I still want to read it.

mods change my name posted:

Hollywood just seems like a bad place

ftfy

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Misread that a little bit.

Holy poo poo. Yeah that's not going to end well for ol' Harve.

It'll be a long time before Barry Harvey Weinstein calls anyone a homo human being boy again!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

That sounds like the lyrics to a Sk8ter Boi parody that you'd get if you crossed Weird Al with a huge pile of poo poo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

but but but government death panels

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/963062666314076161

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Death Panels: Real and Stupider than ever.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

No, no, you see when a private company denies you care arbitrarily and capriciously it is good because of the invisible hand of the free market. If the government were to do it after studies and analysis, well that's just straight up tyranny.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Unilever is threatening to stop advertising on Facebook and Google.
Unilever to Facebook and Google: Clean up 'swamp' or we'll pull ads

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
it me

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/963087547265056769

it her WAIT NO IT ISN'T wait maybe it is iuno

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/963083527293153282

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/963079956208156672

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Obama can frig off for all I care!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Mods change my name to Nostalgia4WhenThePresidentWasQuietAboutCrimesAgainstHumanityAndNotAnInternationalEmbarassment.

tia

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Remember how Flynn Sr. wanted to kidnap that Gulen dude for Turkey? Nunes was also allegedly present

https://twitter.com/USseriously/status/845740827129397248

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Remember how Flynn Sr. wanted to kidnap that Gulen dude for Turkey? Nunes was also allegedly present

Well, well.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lol like it will matter

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mods change my name posted:

Lol like it will matter

This

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well that explains nunes' burn it all to the ground strategy.

He did some baaaaad poo poo and it's his hail Mary play.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for Trump to call him a super Patriot

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

see what happens when you doth protest too much devin

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

see what happens when you doth protest too much devin
I got all excited but that article is from last year, as is the theory that Nunes is involved. I hope when he goes down they don't even offer him a plea deal.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

That was last year too I just noticed so nothing will happen

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The bigwig breakfast on Jan 18, 2017 that Nunes and others attended was not the summer 2016 or December 2016 meetings where the Gulen kidnapping was discussed.
This (non) story is not quite a year old - granted, that's about 8 years in TrumpTime

:tinfoil:Cavusoglu also 'met with' Mattis around the same time as Nunes 'met with' Cavusoglu. :tinfoil:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CNN reporting now about how “dozens of WH officials” still don’t have full clearances, and some interviewees talking about how Kushner’s investigation probably wouldn’t have taken this long if there wasn’t a whole lot of questions.

Also apparently Kushner is the person who reads the daily intel briefs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hey guys, just a reminder Neocons are still butthurt that Obama didn't go balls deep into Syria.

https://twitter.com/Millermena/status/963123293049049088
https://twitter.com/Millermena/status/963132655637291008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

As I recall, it was conservative lawmakers (particularly in the house) dragging their heels that stopped Obama from going into Syria after the red line idiocy.

Not that I think that was really a bad idea, as sticking our dick into yet another hornet's nest in the middle East without any real path to a better state of affairs seems like a real bad loving idea, but what the gently caress do I know.

• Locked thread