Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
What is the first movie to show blood as if on the camera lens? The earliest Hollywood feature I've seen (Prime Cut, 1972) was slightly predated by the 2nd Lone Wolf And Cub movie (Baby Cart at the River Styx, also 1972). Using IMDb keyword search, the results say that El Topo (1970) and Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971) both have shots of blood on the camera lens, but I've seen neither. Are there other notable early examples of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Not a movie question but can anyone explain why the miniseries Band of Brothers has the first episode's writing credits listed as "Teleplay by" whereas every other episode in the series uses "Written by"?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sand Monster posted:

Not a movie question but can anyone explain why the miniseries Band of Brothers has the first episode's writing credits listed as "Teleplay by" whereas every other episode in the series uses "Written by"?

In television, episodes are split up into "story by" and "teleplay by" credits when there's a split among the two roles; a writer may have developed the story but not worked on the actual script, or have come up with the story and then worked on the actual script, but was not the sole person on the latter.

"Written by" is used when the story and script are both produced by the same entity or entities.

You see this a lot in movies, too; a notorious example (because of the fuckery that led to it) is Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, which has its credits read "Story by Leonard Nimoy & Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal; Screenplay by Nicholas Meyer and Denny Martin Flinn."

EDIT: Okay, I just looked up Band of Brothers and there's no story credit on the first episode, just teleplay. It's possible they used "teleplay by" because Hanks wasn't a WGA member or something.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 31, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

In television, episodes are split up into "story by" and "teleplay by" credits when there's a split among the two roles; a writer may have developed the story but not worked on the actual script, or have come up with the story and then worked on the actual script, but was not the sole person on the latter.

"Written by" is used when the story and script are both produced by the same entity or entities.

You see this a lot in movies, too; a notorious example (because of the fuckery that led to it) is Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, which has its credits read "Story by Leonard Nimoy & Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal; Screenplay by Nicholas Meyer and Denny Martin Flinn."

EDIT: Okay, I just looked up Band of Brothers and there's no story credit on the first episode, just teleplay. It's possible they used "teleplay by" because Hanks wasn't a WGA member or something.

It’s odd that they used “written by”, because for films that is used for an original story, whereas an adaptation from another work like BoB the book would get a “screenplay by” or “teleplay by”. Oh! Maybe the first episode hewed so closely to the facts that it got teleplay, but the ones thereafter were more fictionalised?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

therattle posted:

Oh! Maybe the first episode hewed so closely to the facts that it got teleplay, but the ones thereafter were more fictionalised?

I doubt this is it. I recently read the book by Ambrose that the series was adapted from, and the ten episodes of the miniseries essentially just follow his plot and structure (e.g. Lipton is featured heavily in the Bastogne chapter, and his character narrates the episode; the chapters/episodes also share the same titles in most cases, i.e. "Replacements", "Bastogne", "The Breaking Point"). Many scenes from the miniseries are nearly exactly as he describes them in the book.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sand Monster posted:

I doubt this is it. I recently read the book by Ambrose that the series was adapted from, and the ten episodes of the miniseries essentially just follow his plot and structure (e.g. Lipton is featured heavily in the Bastogne chapter, and his character narrates the episode; the chapters/episodes also share the same titles in most cases, i.e. "Replacements", "Bastogne", "The Breaking Point"). Many scenes from the miniseries are nearly exactly as he describes them in the book.

Ok, I doubt that’s it either then! In that case I have no idea.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Also rotoing is used if you use an image shot on green and you want to insert it into a shot. Tracking isn’t always perfect on things like hair and you have to use frame by frame roto work to make it look right when inserted into another scene. Roto work is hard and long but does wonders

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
How do movie studios decide how to dispose of props, wardrobe, and things like deleted scenes or extra footage shot?

Who decides what gets saved and what gets tossed?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SimonCat posted:

How do movie studios decide how to dispose of props, wardrobe, and things like deleted scenes or extra footage shot?

At least during the pre-1970s era...

Props and wardrobe were usually kept indefinitely since they could be used and re-used. That's why the dental tools in Little Shop of Horrors turned up in Dead Ringers.

Deleted scenes would be cannibalized. In the case of Sunset Blvd. and the '54 Star is Born, anything without the stars (like second unit stuff) ended up in stock footage libraries. The DVD of Sunset Blvd. actually had a reconstruction of the original opening scene since everything except parts of shots where you could actually see William Holden's face survived in pristine shape. Sometimes there were exceptions just by chance. Deleted footage sometimes survived only because a dupe, fine-grain, or color separations were made prior to a final cut and no one knew about them until someone tried to make a print from these elements. The preview cut of Touch of Evil and workprint cut of Blade Runner were flukes because they were mislabeled as just regular theatrical prints.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And of course, the end of Blade Runner used footage from the beginning of the Shining.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There are also independent companies that have warehouses full of stuff that they lease out to movie productions.

Image search has fun pictures: https://www.google.com/search?q=prop+warehouse&tbm=isch

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Egbert Souse posted:

That's why the dental tools in Little Shop of Horrors turned up in Dead Ringers.

Hahaha, that rules

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's also a fake newspaper prop that's been used for the last 30 years.

https://reelrundown.com/film-industry/Same-newspaper-prop-in-different-movies

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 2, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SimonCat posted:

Unfortunately there's no one clear answer to that.

Like Krankenstyle said - a lot of generic props for bigger productions that are near film hubs will use prop houses or wardrobe houses. Once production is done, they're just returned.

Prop/Wardrobe wise: A *lot* of props will be sold off. Most movies I've worked on (granted this is the $5M and under budgets) they will have a prop sale at the end. General cast and crew can just walk into a makeshift warehouse space and buy stuff. This helps the production recoup costs. Bigger props like, say, a crashed and mangled car are often left behind and they just find a "please you can have it for free just take it off our hands" recipient. More specialized props that aren't generic set dressing will likely be kept by various crew as mementos.

On bigger productions, they'll take most of it and either destroy it or store it. Often it will get sold at auction. Here's a prop auction house where you can find some cool and totally not even close to cheap stuff:

http://www.thepropgallery.com/all-pieces

As for deleted scenes and extra footage. That's never disposed of anymore (well for the most part). Since everything is digital - it's basically just kept in cold storage. It's rarely, if ever, re-used like the old days. Unless it's an intentional easter egg or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Peccadillo posted:

Hahaha, that rules

One example of a reused prop that for some reason always sticks with me is the military field helmets and vests from Starship Troopers winding up in a random episode of Firefly.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Someone I know works in a costume shop that buys in bulk from productions, apparently one of Daniel Stern's tar-splattered coats from Home Alone is a frequent rental for Les Miz

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A *LOT* of street-wearable costumes will just get outright stolen by actors who will yell at anyone who calls them out on it, and tell the producers not to hire them on their next film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols both walked off with their hairpieces from Star Trek: The Original Series.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I ask the question because of a story from the making of Escape from L. A. John Carpenter wanted Snake Plissken to show up wearing the same clothes he had one in Escape from New York, but didn't know what had become of the costume. Turned out that Kurt Russell had kept it and it was in his closet.

I suppose it's easier just to make new costumes for each new movie as the previous film's might not match the new film's aesthetic, but it's funny how Logan's jacket keeps changing between the first 3 X-men movies and Origins, even though it's supposed to by the same coat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

After making Citizen Kane one of the dudes from the prop department just kept the cane which is why it looks totally different in Citizen Kane part II: Rosebud Takes Manhattan because they had to make a new one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

After making Citizen Kane one of the dudes from the prop department just kept the cane which is why it looks totally different in Citizen Kane part II: Rosebud Takes Manhattan because they had to make a new one.

To be fair it would have been hard to fit all the grenades into the original cane.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More re-uses:

A bunch of sets from Metropolis turn up in Woman in the Moon, made two years later like Joh Frederson's office and the cavern.

The Spanish version of Dracula '31 has a few shots taken from outtakes of the silent Phantom of the Opera.

Roger Corman's The Masque of Red Death was shot largely on leftover sets from Becket.

Both A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and Life of Brian used abandoned exterior sets from The Fall of the Roman Empire, built in Madrid, Spain.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A bunch of real life dentistry equipment uses some game console as its "docking station"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One of my favorites is how the mansion set from The Magnificent Ambersons in reused in Cat People.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A really odd one is how the PKE meters from Ghostbusters show up in They Live of all places.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SimonCat posted:

A really odd one is how the PKE meters from Ghostbusters show up in They Live of all places.

Suburban Commando, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krankenstyle posted:

A bunch of real life dentistry equipment uses some game console as its "docking station"

That’ll be the Atari Jaguar, they bought the molds.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Speaking of Citizen Kane, some of the jungle shots are from King Kong.

And King Kong shared jungle sets with The Most Dangerous Game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The big wall from King Kong is one of the many sets burned to the ground for Gone With The Wind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols both walked off with their hairpieces from Star Trek: The Original Series.

Chris Pratt stole an entire Star Lord costume from the first Guardians of the Galaxy because he wanted to have a costume so he could do charity/visit sick kids.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Someone stole the Spiderman suit that cost like 100k to make and literally only fits Toby McGuire.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Someone stole the Spiderman suit that cost like 100k to make and literally only fits Toby McGuire.

"Someone"

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Not quite the same thing since I'm sure both were just using the same prison, but I'm like 99% sure Diggstown has James Wood being led down the hallway at 1:23 and later in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrIAIHTho8

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Timby posted:

Suburban Commando, too.

Commando too, the regular "kill 400 dudes without a scratch" kind.. Arnold uses it at some point.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Matrix reused sets from Dark City.

And also the plot, characters and costumes are very similar to Dark City.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I loved all the slow motion Kung fu in Dark City

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Yeah I loved all the slow motion Kung fu in Dark City

idgi, is this a snarky reply?

I didn't say it was a direct rip-off, I said it has a lot of similar things. A guy is awoken to sinister world being controlled by a secret elite, that have mysterious MIBs out enforcing their agenda, by a mysterious man on the other end of the telephone. The secret elite have the power to reshape the world to their whims, and nobody that hasn't been 'woken up' can see the crazy poo poo that happens when the world is being manipulated. The protagonist develops powers that let him too influence this world. There are chase scenes literally using the same sets and shots as the Matrix, and there are black trench coats everywhere.

They're both good films in their own right, but there being a shitload of similarities isn't really up for debate.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 6, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also the ending of Dark City is exactly the same as the ending of Matrix 3.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I feel like watching Aguirre again sometime soon, and I wonder if I should ask my wife if she wants to watch it too. She's pretty sensitive to animal cruelty in film, and while I don't distinctly remember that Kinsky, like, stabbed a crocodile or something, it seems like a very likely thing to have happened. Should I go solo on this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I feel like watching Aguirre again sometime soon, and I wonder if I should ask my wife if she wants to watch it too. She's pretty sensitive to animal cruelty in film, and while I don't distinctly remember that Kinsky, like, stabbed a crocodile or something, it seems like a very likely thing to have happened. Should I go solo on this one?

He's mean to a monkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYKDrOs_j8