Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
quad damage

conan does this bit whenever a guest mentions that he’s a harvard alum and he corrects them with “yes harvard school of computers”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idk about you but mochester institute of technology is very respectable so the change is fine

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that reminds me paranoia got a new edition

trust Friend Computer

i bought it a while back and haven't read through it yet

i'm doing a poor job of brand maintenance

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
those anime dog tits are above your clearance level, troubleshooter

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
acknowledging them as anything other than cat tits is treason, Citizen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

the only algorithm I want facebook to run on my news feed is a loving chronological sort, but apparently that’s too hard

the two most difficult things in computer science: naming things and sorting posts chronologically

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yea everyone knows cats are way more fuckable than dogs, it's basic :biotruths:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cats are the girls and dogs are the boys

every first grader knows this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i think tech companies have some weird problem where they feel bad about lying to you about the time a post was made, but only about that specific thing. so they feel bad about inserting an ad in the middle of your timeline that is otherwise sorted by time.

therefore they have to invent some "goodosity" score for posts that might appear on your feed, then they can just adjust the goodosity score of promoted content so that they appear in their proper place (everywhere).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

yea everyone knows cats are way more fuckable than dogs, it's basic :biotruths:

lol. tech bubble thread flying pretty close to the sun i see.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Move fast and break things™

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wheany posted:

i think tech companies have some weird problem where they feel bad about lying to you about the time a post was made, but only about that specific thing. so they feel bad about inserting an ad in the middle of your timeline that is otherwise sorted by time.

therefore they have to invent some "goodosity" score for posts that might appear on your feed, then they can just adjust the goodosity score of promoted content so that they appear in their proper place (everywhere).

I think the tech companies know that >90% of the stuff people post is crap and that causes social media services to eventually hit a point where users either become accustomed to just scrolling past everything (including ads) or stop using the service entirely because it is just stuffed with poo poo.

nextdoor has hit that point for me. despite the racist guy always starting "saw a suspicious person" posts it used to actually be a useful place to find out about upcoming events and such. now that anything useful is buried in an endless stream of people plugging their businesses or trying to sell furniture for 10x what it is worth, why bother?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
https://medium.com/hult-business-school-draft/73-mind-blowing-implications-of-a-driverless-future-58d23d1f338d

"...where driving yourself may actually become illegal in some states in the next 10 years"

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

http://www.zdnet.com/article/after-dismissing-security-flaw-amazon-patches-key-smart-lock-anyway/

"the company has fixed a flaw that could bypass the lock mechanism. This time around, Amazon won't concede that the latest lock bypass technique is a bug."

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

I think the tech companies know that >90% of the stuff people post is crap and that causes social media services to eventually hit a point where users either become accustomed to just scrolling past everything (including ads) or stop using the service entirely because it is just stuffed with poo poo.

nextdoor has hit that point for me. despite the racist guy always starting "saw a suspicious person" posts it used to actually be a useful place to find out about upcoming events and such. now that anything useful is buried in an endless stream of people plugging their businesses or trying to sell furniture for 10x what it is worth, why bother?

which brings us to the third most difficult problem: actually honoring the user's wishes when they opt out of "recommended" posts.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Enderzero posted:

https://medium.com/hult-business-school-draft/73-mind-blowing-implications-of-a-driverless-future-58d23d1f338d

"...where driving yourself may actually become illegal in some states in the next 10 years"

didn't read, but i'll provide a hot take anyway, lol.

if there's good statistical evidence showing that prohibiting people from driving themselves is safer, than i'm for it.

e: just to be clear, i don't believe any such data to base such a decision on exists at this time, nor will it soon.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

there's fantastic evidence that says motorcyclists who wear helmets / motorists who wear seatbelts are much safer and guess what

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

there's fantastic evidence that says motorcyclists who wear helmets / motorists who wear seatbelts are much safer and guess what

people pay attention to the data and it's also reflected across the board in state legislation???

:suicide:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

Safe people wear seatbelts and forcing people to wear seatbelts does not make unsafe people safe?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

uh, you gotta wear a seatbelt in 49 of 50 states and you have to wear a motorcycle helmet under at least some circumstances in 48 of 50 states

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 12, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

there’s also a big difference re. mandatory seatbelts vs. a prohibition on driving oneself. if you ignore the former, you might die. if you ignore the latter, you may take someone else out too.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

infernal machines posted:

where would they go, if we were to loose them?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Krankenstyle posted:

lol i cant this, it talks about freakin homestar runner which was the poo poo if you were 20 years old 15 years ago. is the whole article just old dudes who cant figure out how to be funny online anymore

Krankenstyle posted:

if you were 20 years old 15 years ago.

:aaa::hf::suicide:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

President Beep posted:

lol. tech bubble thread flying pretty close to the sun i see.

getting in trouble for pro beastiality talk is a yospos tradition

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i was 69 years old 420 years ago.

Cat Face Joe posted:

duly noted!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

lol for awhile there every time louisiana elected a republican governor their first order of business was to eliminate the helmet law the previous dem had instituted

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

President Beep posted:

i was 69 years old 420 years ago.

i was born 80085 BC

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol for awhile there every time louisiana elected a republican governor their first order of business was to eliminate the helmet law the previous dem had instituted

that's kind of what i was driving at but i made the point really very badly, maybe i should give up control to a self-posting computer

even in the very distant future when we're all dust and the self-operating vehicle has been perfected, nobody's going to want to give up control of their own car

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

cats are the girls and dogs are the boys

every first grader knows this

https://twitter.com/nekocase/status/936245511992041472

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'd take that more seriously from someone not named cat

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i remember watching motorcyclists in council bluffs IA ride around with a helmet looped around their arm for if/when they hopped over to nebraska

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
used to work with a guy who didn't wear a seatbelt. i think he said he didn't "believe in them" or something. dude drove a chevy trailblazer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

I'd take that more seriously from someone not named cat

they're not named cat, they're named anime cat

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

used to work with a guy who didn't wear a seatbelt. i think he said he didn't "believe in them" or something. dude drove a chevy trailblazer

in the land of religious fanaticism that is america, not believing in something is a valid excuse

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2017/06/01/the-long-slow-decline-of-bittorrent/

quote:

In 2006 BitTorrent, or specifically peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing. was king.

In a study from January of that year, P2P traffic accounted for over 70% of all internet traffic. Though, at that time, BitTorrent shared the file sharing crown with other networks, it quickly moved to become the number one file sharing protocol, a title it would hot decisively by 2008, in part due to an incredible period of growth in late 2007/early 2008.

However, even by then cracks were showing in the P2P armor. By late 2007, web traffic had overtaken p2p traffic. This was largely because of the meteoric rise of YouTube.

By 2011, P2P had fallen to under 19% in North America and was beaten by Netflix during peak times. By 2013 that traffic was down to just 7.39 percent and represented a drop not just in percentage, but actual traffic. In 2015, it was estimated to be 3 percent, a percentage that put it on par with Hulu, the fourth most popular video streaming site.

While this shift has been most acutely felt in North America. Studies have found it to also be on the decline elsewhere, including Europe and Asia.

This decreased prominence reached a peak in May of this year when pirates threatened to leak episode of Netflix’s Orange is the New Black before their slated release. Their demand for ransom was balked at the they posted the files on BitTorrent sites with almost no impact.

This raises a simple question: What’s eating away at BitTorrent? Why is BitTorrent the only kind of internet traffic not growing nor expected to grow?

To understand we have to look at all of the variables at play and understand how BitTorrent is under assault from all sides and why piracy may never be the same.

Cause 1: Better Legitimate Alternatives
Image of Netflix LogoWhen the decline of BitTorrent and P2P file sharing is raised the credit is usually given largely to legitimate alternatives such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

This is supported by the numbers as well. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, iTunes and Hulu combine to make up well over 60% of all peak internet traffic in North America. That’s 20 times the estimated size of BitTorrent.

Most convincing of all, the rise of Netflix as a traffic largely mirrors BitTorrent’s fall. This makes it clear that, as users were firing up Netflix, they were doing so at the expense of P2P file sharing.

Simply put, when a month of unlimited streaming comes costs less than a lunch, people snap it up. Even more so when the library of content is sound and the ease/reliability of streaming is very high.

There’s no doubt that Netflix and its competitors have played a significant role in the downfall of BitTorrent.

Cause 2: Streaming Piracy
Kodi LogoHowever, legitimate streaming services wasn’t the only destination that former BitTorrent users went to. Many leapt onto pirate streaming services, which made up 74% of all visits to pirated film sites last year.

Much like their legitimate counterparts, pirate streaming sites offer greater convenience and security than BitTorrent.

In this case, that security is two-fold.

First, it includes security from viruses and other malware that’s common on BitTorrent downloads and BitTorrent software. Second, it protects against legal threats filed against BitTorrent users.

Though the risk of using BitTorrent is small, especially if done intelligently, streaming sites are seen as far safer because they don’t (or at least shouldn’t) download anything to the computer or require the user to re-share the content, greatly expanding their potential legal liability.

Streaming pirate sites are more convenient than BitTorrent, especially when a permanent download isn’t useful, and tools such as Kodi boxes make it even easier. So much so that they are actively being targeted for bans.

Cause 3: Enforcement
Money ImageThe role of copyright enforcement in the decline of P2P file sharing is a hotly-debated one. Some headline-grabbing steps such as the arrest of the founders of The Pirate Bay did little to blunt piracy or even shutter the site.

However, in recent years anti-piracy efforts have instead focused on a more subdued approach, one that’s commonly referred to as “follow the money”. This approach works to discourage advertising and other partners, such as hosts and domain registrars, from working with pirate sites.

While arrests still do happen, such as the 2016 arrests of the alleged founders of Kickass Torrents, other sites shut down spontaneously, such as the recent closure of Extratorrents.

While it’s hard to know for certain, the call for donations to save the ExtraTorrent’s release group makes it clear that money was at least part of the reason. That, in turn, is likely due to a combination dwindling ad revenue and increasing expenses associated with running a pirate site in 2017.

A survey of pirate sites by Torrentfreak found that, even with large sites, many were either barely breaking even or were even losing money, making them vulnerable this approach.

Though some BitTorrent sites make it work, it’s getting more and more difficult to do so.

Cause 4: Demographics
Parents ImageThe peak for P2P piracy was, by most accounts, between 2003 and 2006. At the same time, piracy demographics skew heavily to a younger audience with 18-29 year olds being significantly more likely to pirate than the adult population at large.

Now, more than a decade later, the people who were heavy into P2P piracy are no longer in the traditional demographic for piracy. Though people of all ages pirate, the older one gets the less likely they are to pirate and the less they are likely to take.

As for the new generation, they didn’t grow up with Napster (which is celebrating its 18th birthday today) or with BitTorrent. They grew up with iTunes, YouTube and Netflix. They’re much more likely to have access to paid services, use legitimate portals.

In short, young people have greater access to legitimate services than they did 10 years ago and, when they do pirate, they’re going to turn more to streaming pirate sites rather than BitTorrent.

After all, the convenience of Netflix and Spotify set the bar for what they wan’t out of their content, whether they get it legitimately or not.

Meanwhile, generation BitTorrent grew up and left the dorm room.

Cause 5: VPN Usage
VPN DiagramFinally, there’s one other possibility for why BitTorrent and P2P traffic seems to be falling out of favor: It’s harder to track.

Though there are no hard numbers, it’s been widely reported that VPN usage has been increasing. Whether it’s due to anti-piracy efforts, political changes or privacy concerns, by all accounts VPN usage is growing and it could change the internet.

The real problem here is that there’s no way to know just how much of VPN traffic is growing or how much of it is BitTorrent. Though different traffic studies look at the internet from different vantage points, some simply would not be able to see VPN-obscured BitTorrent traffic.

Still, it’s unlikely that VPN usage accounts for the drop in interest in BitTorrent, but it may mean the gains aren’t quite as drastic as some studies indicate.

Bottom Line
For BitTorrent and P2P file sharing in general, the heyday has passed. If you’re a BitTorrent site operator, the halcyon days of the early 2000s are not coming back.

To be clear, there will always be P2P piracy on the internet. Most predictions call for P2P traffic to remain flat over the next few years. But that flatness is against the backdrop of an anticipated explosion in other types of content.

As a percentage of traffic, P2P will, almost certainly, continue to dwindle until it’s less and less significant. Some pockets of the world will hold out longer than others, but the global trend is clear.

This doesn’t mean that piracy is over and done (even P2P piracy) or that there aren’t problems with the legitimate services we have today. Creators can’t quite celebrate yet.

However, something that seemed impossible 10 years ago has come to fruition, BitTorrent is no longer the dominant force on the internet. It’s not even the largest service for video nor is it even in the top 3 providers.

The internet is now dominated by legitimate choices for video streaming.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

support softwarecontent that works

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

you're never completely erasing the demographic who feels entitled to unlimited, free stolen poo poo, and you're losing nothing to piracy from the people who literally can't buy what you're selling either because you're bad at selling things or they're poor

just about everyone else is willing to pay a reasonable price in appreciation of someone else's hard work, in the hopes that they'll continue to do that more

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i feel thats p much a "water is wet; trump is bad" no-poo poo article. everyone already knows if you make legal sources easier+affordable it kills piracy and whatever is left is p much people that couldn't pay (14 year olds, 3rd world countries, whatever) anyways.

i stopped pirating things from like '11 to '16 but with the splintering up of movies/tv as each publisher and studio wants their own ~unique snowflake~ service and demands extra money or whatever from netflix and library starts to rot, i've started using bittorrent in the last year or two than i have the last 5+ years.

i also havent pirated music in years since everything is on spotify and so much easier to have it all in 1-place across my desktop/workstation/phone

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cat Face Joe posted:

agreed, cat face-sitting joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

you're never completely erasing the demographic who feels entitled to unlimited, free stolen poo poo, and you're losing nothing to piracy from the people who literally can't buy what you're selling either because you're bad at selling things or they're poor

just about everyone else is willing to pay a reasonable price in appreciation of someone else's hard work, in the hopes that they'll continue to do that more

GoT is on Amazon Video though?

:shrug: