Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AlbieQuirky posted:

You sad poser. I took a seminar with Derrida. Seriously. You're just embarrassing yourself.

That is actually pretty awesome, and I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

how many people need to agree "star citizen is bad" for it to become accepted

51-75% of the current number of backers/users holding accounts, I would assume . . .

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, it isn't:

https://web.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/Derrida/Differance.html

For the record, Derrida talks about the ability to get to the underlying meaning of language through both difference and deference (when specifically talking about the element of time

In other words, our understanding of a word/words/phrase isn't so binary that it can be ascribed to one or another meaning, but that the meaning is fluid and depends on an abstract, social agreement of said word/words/phrases at a particular moment in time.

Defenestration was the act of physically throwing a person or oneself out of a window. But if the societal majority agree that defenestration in the colloquial now means the expulsion of a one's ideas "out the window" ( so to speak), then that is what becomes accepted.

Yes. But using it in a metaphorical way to tease the reader's brain into a nice realization is one thing. But replacing it in a sentence where normal people would literally just say "thrown out the window" makes you sound like more you're just using big words to use big words.

EDIT: Also this is nowhere near the worst derail.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, it isn't:

For the record, Derrida talks about the ability to get to the underlying meaning of language through both difference and deference (when specifically talking about the element of time

In other words, our understanding of a word/words/phrase isn't so binary that it can be ascribed to one or another meaning, but that the meaning is fluid and depends on an abstract, social agreement of said word/words/phrases at a particular moment in time.

Defenestration was the act of physically throwing a person or oneself out of a window. But if the societal majority agree that defenestration in the colloquial now means the expulsion of a one's ideas "out the window" ( so to speak), then that is what becomes accepted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSOETxLuUHo&t=65s

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Ben is Milton from Office Space. Crobits fired him years ago, but no one had the guts to tell him. However, his paycheck keeps clipping through the payroll system. Since no one at cig knows how to unfuck their spaghetti code, Cribbles is stuck with Ben until the whole thing goes tits up.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes! And it only means to literally throw out of a physical window. It's not something people use as a metaphor, the way they might say "smash an argument" or "explode a preconception." "Defenestrate an argument" isn't a thing.

What if it is a valid saying in some other language and this MoMA just translated it without thought? Perhaps he is a German auditor? :tinfoil:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hioAOD7c2EM

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

I could take out the "Star Citizer" part to make the rest of it fit, but I won't.

Instead I'm gonna look at this dope-rear end calico crab

I'll see your calico crab, and raise you one weedy sea dragon

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My avatar is now in love with ^^

Bofast posted:

What if it is a valid saying in some other language and this MoMA just translated it without thought? Perhaps he is a German auditor? :tinfoil:

Maybe the real German auditors are the friends we made along the way?

Derrida taxxe: he was very short and always smelled like cigarettes, :tinfoil: even though nobody ever saw him smoking:tinfoil: :iiam:

Even cooler was Michel Riffaterre, who was loving hilarious and also had lost or injured a hand in WWII and always wore a black leather glove like Dr. Strangelove.

I adored that whole Critical Theory scene of the 80s/90s. I wish there had been some way to make a living at it that didn't involve teaching Shakespeare or Hugo to college students.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, it isn't:

Go look in a French dictionary and you'll see its difference, idiot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

And I see that a social majority have agreed that scam in the colloquial now means a great investment of cash of government or personal disability cheque nature.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

MoMA is actually right about the fluid nature of language, and the fact that the point of communication is to exchange ideas - if the idea makes it across unscathed, the attempt was successful.

However, if people can't agree on at least some base commonalities, real communication quickly becomes a casualty.

For example, I might say that "Chris Roberts is making Star Citizen, an ambitious space game with many enthusiastic backers." and people will hear many different things.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Tane.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
"Nothing is voluntarily bad. Except Star Citizen. lol what a stinker"

--Socrates, Tweeting to his Students 1/52, Prior to Blog Entry

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And I see that a social majority have agreed that scam in the colloquial now means a great investment of cash of government or personal disability cheque nature.

Issa 'Pledge', Gooney.

Scruffpuff posted:

However, if people can't agree on at least some base commonalities, real communication quickly becomes a casualty.

Issa 'Pledge', Gooney.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

51-75% of the current number of backers/users holding accounts, I would assume . . .

Star Citizen isn't the blockchain

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, you idiot, you can also throw a window into the person for the same effect. As Einstein said: "It's, like, relative and poo poo"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tortolia posted:

Star Citizen isn't the blockchain

Don't worry, MOMA doesn't realize you can't hold an account, as that implies the account is a physical object, and that you could hold it with your hands.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Tâne

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

No, you idiot, you can also throw a window into the person for the same effect. As Einstein said: "It's, like, relative and poo poo"

Defenestrate a window, watch causality explode.

In games-you-can-play news, I picked up 'Freeman: Guerilla warfare', which is a title only the developers could love. The essence of the game is that you're a guerilla leader in a world-gone-mad, and you have to build yourself an army of irregulars to conquer the world map you're on. Pretty standard stuff.

It plays a lot like mount and blade, except you can set up some initial orders rather than watching that one manhunter you rescued charge the enemy lines, and there are guns involved. Lots of guns. You give orders via a map screen, but there's no pausing, so you have to look for cover before giving orders. Your guys start as idiots with rifles and steadily upgrade over time, costing more cash the more tactical and low drag they get.

Enemy AI is currently laughable, but can get a lot harder. The early game requires that you're a lot more cautious to start with, then as you get more squads you can do more aggressive flanking. That you're also in the game adds a certain amount more actual immersion to the process. It's a great core to start with, and I'm interested how they're going to expand it out.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/773951/Freeman_Guerrilla_Warfare/

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 12, 2018

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG isn't really making any mistakes though, if you think about it. A guy driving to work might take a wrong turn because he wasn't paying attention - that's a mistake. The same guy might hit up a McDonald's drive through and they get his order wrong - that's their mistake.

But what if the same guy wakes up in the wrong house next to someone else's wife because he was drunk the night before, she hits him in the head with a lamp as he attempts to run through the wrong half of a half-open sliding glass door, plunging through the glass and landing in their swimming pool, which he somehow drained of water the night before in a mysterious act of drunken genius, and he grabs some debris from the bottom and throws it at the woman but instead hits her husband who is also a cop?

Is that a mistake? Is it even a series of mistakes? CIG is a comedy of errors in corporate form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-WSWaSUkk

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like, around here, in these cold lands of wonders and poutine where fenêtre is a pretty common word, if I were to find the ideal moment to use "défenestrer" in a sentence, people would still call me a wanker.

Well, not a wanker, more like osti de tabarnak de câlice, c'est pas possible comment que t'es cave.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/l6ukeMn.gifv

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

You sad poser. I took a seminar with Derrida. Seriously. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Furthermore I was born in the same country which makes me an authority

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

:lol: It's all good, now everyone at work is wondering why I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea of a "bear festival." Then when the other possible meaning occurred to me, the laughter tripled every second.

It could be a festival full of those Haribo Sugar Free Classic Gummi Bears that have such lovely reviews on Amazon.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
The Guardian is not popularly known as The Grauniad because of its excellence in applying the finer points of the English language

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

"Nothing is voluntarily bad. Except Star Citizen. lol what a stinker"

--Socrates, Tweeting to his Students 1/52, Prior to Blog Entry

I think you'll find that the true 'Eureka' moment of Archimedes was in fact when he realized that Star Citizen was going to become a scam.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

...that there exists a possibility of a space simulation....
:golfclap: Baby Steps.... Great to see you go from "quote the poo poo out of this" to "there exists a possibility"!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"I'm not saying Star Citizen is hosed while all this sweet Citizen money is pouring into my coffers, but I will say they're about 60% hosed to save my legitimacy when they're sued into oblivion." -Leonard "I have no loving clue what I'm talking about" French

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
I'm tired of trying to make space games be what I want when they aren't and am thinking about trying MWO out again. Does anyone know if it's still :pgi:?

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
Also, star citizen isn't bad. It's just not.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

SomethingJones posted:

Can't be arsed to dig up the bullshit you were spouting about the Coutts loan being CIG hedging their bets on Brexit, but that was when I realised you are just here to troll and nothing else. You may as well come clean MoMA, the game is up.

Only that's not how you hedge currency. The only time I've suggested and seen a business use a bridge loan was when I was in law school. A local medical supply company was getting ready to sell as the owners were getting ready to retire, but they had to update their practices to be HIPPA compliant. I was only a 1L, but I had a decades worth of IT experience before I went to law school and was the closest thing to an IT expert in the school at the time. So I got put on the project as this company was still running on a 386 from the 1980's. I don't think the kids in law school at the time had ever seen a DOS prompt in their lives.

Well the good news was the company that made their software was still in business. However this was the XP to Vista period. They said specifically that their software was XP compatible, but would not work with Vista. Well the company was waiting on $50,000 in state medicaid payments (it was Illinois...they were broke even back then) and they didn't know when that payment was going to come in. So they went to the bank and borrowed the $10,000 they needed in order to purchase the workstations needed now to avoid the problems Vista would have caused them. They used that medicaid payment as collateral. And they had to do that because the business ran on a very tight cash flow due to 80% of their business being medicare & medicaid. The owners did not take regular paychecks, in fact the wife worked another job to provide a stable income for their household, but they might only get any take home pay 2 - 3 times a year. Frankly their payday was when they sold the company and retired.

And I've run a company where we've hedge currency. When we had one of our largest installs in Europe we hired a firm in Germany to handle the hardware install side of things to ensure that any local laws were followed if things had to be rewired, etc.. We signed the contract about 100 days out from needing to pay so we bought enough Euros that day on the futures market for delivery to meet our payments. We did this so we locked in our cost. I did not want to gamble that the USD v. Euro would be better today than next quarter. This way we didn't care what the currency market did we knew our costs. If they were concerned about the value of the Pound to Dollar to Euro in the future this is what they would have done.

What CIG did was what you see a company with cash flow problems do when they come up upon unexpected expenses.

SpaceCurtisLeMay fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 12, 2018

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

trucutru posted:

A window is an aperture in a wall. The inside frame and glazing itself isn't a window, or even a necessary part of a window.

To defenestrate someone it that way, you have to throw the wall, and the person must pass through the aperture. During the act, the wall must not degenerate into a non-wall, or the window degenerate into a non-window.

e. You may also redefine the window glazing as a wall, because the definition of wall is so broad. In this case, the glazing-wall must have an aperture cut in it to function as the window to defenestrate the person through.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 12, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Windows are NYI

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Preen Dog posted:

A window is an aperture in a wall. The inside frame and glazing itself isn't a window, or even a necessary part of a window.

To defenestrate someone it that way, you have to throw the wall, and the person must pass through the aperture. During the act, the wall must not degenerate into a non-wall, or the window degenerate into a non-window.

e. You may also redefine the window glazing as a wall, because the definition of wall is so broad. In this case, the glazing-wall must have an aperture cut in it to function as the window to defenestrate the person through.

Defenastrition

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Defenastrition

Fidelistration

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

Defenestrate means to throw out of the window.

He fails in so many perspectives.

When you use an online thesaurus to post in order to appear intelligent, oftentimes you end up using a word that sticks out and gives you away.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/VLGuild/status/963119813441748992
https://twitter.com/FRDarkRod/status/963119899462774784
https://twitter.com/StarBurgernl/status/963120073669074945
https://twitter.com/Cognition_Corp/status/963120108943048705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Pilz posted:

I'm tired of trying to make space games be what I want when they aren't and am thinking about trying MWO out again. Does anyone know if it's still :pgi:?

All depends on your frame of reference--if you are using CIG as your basis--PGI is as good as Blizzard and Rockstar... If you live in the real world--PGI still sucks, but not nearly as much as CIG.