Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Yes it would be legal.

No there are no federal restrictions on abortion, it's entirely a state matter (except for course for case law from the Supreme Court that restricts states from banning it completely and imposes some other restraints on state interference with a woman's ability to get an abortion).

Ok, thanks. That's the nut of it. It's obviously quite different from Germany, where the states are less autonomous and the Supreme Court decided more restrictively in the 1970ies, that the German state has the obligation to protect life. Which is why abortion had to stay illegal even if it carries no penalty.

The US narrative often find its way into the German discussion, and frankly, it's more often than not muddying the waters.
So thank you for the clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

Which is why abortion had to stay illegal even if it carries no penalty.

Weird.

Do doctors lose their licenses for performing an illegal procedure?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Yes it would be legal.

No there are no federal restrictions on abortion, it's entirely a state matter (except for course for case law from the Supreme Court that restricts states from banning it completely and imposes some other restraints on state interference with a woman's ability to get an abortion).

there's a federal ban on intact dilation and evacuation

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Einbauschrank posted:

that the German state has the obligation to protect life.

This is always funny for me to see - it's always one of those ludicrous legal assertions that stands only because people refuse to look at or think about it too hard and never has anything to do with the actual motivation for the rules in question (which is why everyone is fine with not looking at it too hard).

Not that the legalization of abortion in the US is much different, really.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Weird.

Do doctors lose their licenses for performing an illegal procedure?

Not if they stick to the procedure specified by the law. The physician attesting the medical indication mustn't be the one performing the procedure (so there is no monetary incentive), you have to wait three days etc.

If you do not stick to it, the Chamber of Physicians could revoke your license. I haven't heard of such a Case. (apart from downright nasty stuff like "Physician tries to secretly induce abortion on his girlfriend without her consent" )

Though last year a physician had to pay a fine of ~6000$ for presenting information on abortion on her Homepage. This was seen as advertising it and is illegal. This law stands a good chance of bring repealed.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

He is a Dem, they are garbage.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jiugae_/status/962784911940726784

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
crossposting from the trump thread because not everyone here reads that one i'm sure and this is important

Stephanie Kelton has a very good NYT OpEd on the deficit, which is something I've talked about here a number of times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/opinion/deficit-tax-cuts-trump.html

quote:

How We Think About the Deficit Is Mostly Wrong

With their nine-page “framework,” President Trump and congressional Republicans have turned to tax cuts in a bid to get a victory on their policy agenda. Mr. Trump has promised to deliver “the biggest tax cut in the history of our country.”

It achieved a rare feat of bipartisan agreement in Washington — worry from the left and the right about the plan’s potential to increase the deficit. Senator Charles Schumer, Democrat of New York, warned that the plan would deepen the deficit by $5 trillion to $7 trillion. Senator Bob Corker, Republican of Tennessee, said, “If I think it adds one penny to the deficit, I’m not going to vote for it.”

Are the proposed tax cuts a huge giveaway to the rich? Most definitely. Will they, as advertised, create a booming economy with benefits that trickle down to everyone else? I don’t think so. Mr. Trump’s plan will widen the country’s already dangerous wealth and income gaps, and because the gains go mostly to those at the very top, the tax cuts won’t do much to promote broad-based consumer spending or overall job growth.

That’s enough to reject the plan. But it would be unwise to oppose tax cuts, or any other federal legislation, simply because they add to the deficit.

Why? Because bigger deficits wouldn’t wreck the nation’s finances. Unfortunately, budgetary effects are the sun around which everything revolves in Washington. Should we invest a trillion dollars in our crumbling infrastructure, offer Medicare for All or pass the biggest tax cut in the country’s history?
Continue reading the main story

Propose any of these, and the first question on everyone’s lips will be, “How are you going to pay for it?” The reason is simple: Lawmakers are obsessed with avoiding an increase in the deficit.

The impulse is so strong that it’s almost Pavlovian. It’s also holding us back. Politicians of both parties should stop using the deficit as a guide to public policy. Instead, they should be advancing legislation aimed at raising living standards and delivering the public investments in education, technology and infrastructure that are critical for long-term prosperity.

Right now, anything ambitious requires a score from the Congressional Budget Office. A “bad” score — one that adds to projected budget deficits — can easily doom good legislation because lawmakers are told that their math doesn’t add up. And that’s a problem.

Because, actually, the math always adds up. To see why, we have to look beyond the government’s balance sheet. Think of it this way. Government spending adds new money to the economy, and taxes take some of that money out again. It’s a constant churning of pluses and minuses, and their minuses become our pluses.

When the government spends more than it gets in taxes, a “deficit” is recorded on the government’s books. But that’s only half the story. A little double-entry bookkeeping paints the rest of the picture. Suppose the government spends $100 into the economy but collects just $90 in taxes, leaving behind an extra $10 for someone to hold. That extra $10 gets recorded as a surplus on someone else’s books. That means that the government’s -$10 is always matched by +$10 in some other part of the economy. There is no mismatch and no problem with things adding up. Balance sheets must balance, after all. The government’s deficit is always mirrored by an equivalent surplus in another part of the economy.

The problem is that policy makers are looking at this picture with one eye shut. They see the budget deficit, but they’re missing the matching surplus on the other side. And since many Americans are missing it, too, they end up applauding efforts to balance the budget, even though it would mean erasing the surplus in the private sector.

And because there is so much misunderstanding, Americans are vulnerable to nationalist scare tactics that warn of the perils of relying on foreigners to pay our bills. The truth is, there’s no reason to worry about China (or any other entity) refusing to finance our deficits. In fact, we should think of the government’s spending as self-financing since it pays its bills by sending new money into the economy.

When there’s a deficit, some of that new money can be traded in for a government bond. What’s often missed in the public debate is the fact that the money to buy the bond comes from the deficit spending itself.

What isn’t missed is the fact that the government pays interest on those bonds. Lawmakers are obsessed with this line item in the budget, as if it’s akin to a cable bill that keeps taking a bigger and bigger bite out of your household budget. It isn’t. Unlike a household, the government doesn’t have to trim other parts of its budget to make ends meet. Congress can always create more room in the budget by adding rows or widening the columns to put more resources into education, infrastructure, defense and so on. It is purely a political decision.

Of course, there are real limits to what can be done. No country can commit to large-scale infrastructure investment unless it has the available labor, machinery, concrete and steel. Trying to spend too much will cause an inflation problem. The trick is to adjust the budget to make efficient use of the people, factories and raw materials we have.

But all of this goes unrecognized on Capitol Hill, where the very words “debt” and “deficit” have been weaponized for political ends. They serve as body armor to politicians who would deny resources to struggling communities or demand cuts to popular programs.

Perhaps no one is more skilled in the dark art of deficit deception than Representative Paul Ryan, the House speaker. He has described the budget outlook as a “fiscal train wreck,” and he has demanded cuts to programs like Social Security and Medicare in the name of protecting future generations from a “crushing burden of debt.” His language is poll-tested and inflammatory by design. It’s intended to create a sense of urgency to move the budget into balance, where, we are told, the math of federal spending will finally “add up.”

In a more rational world, lawmakers would abandon the crude C.B.O. scoring model and recognize that the risk of overspending is inflation, not bankruptcy. They would avoid fruitless battles over the debt ceiling, and they would acknowledge that the deficit itself could be deployed as a potent weapon in the fights against inequality, poverty and economic stagnation.

This stuff is going to be important for anyone who advocates for universal health care, UBI, free education or any number of progressive policies. You will run into these questions at some point. It's good to have the right answers when that happens.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Well, he's not wrong. In 2016 a gunman killed two Urbandale ( a Des Moines suburb) police officers for no other reason than they were police.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/11/02/2-police-officers-killed-ambush-attacks/93155012/

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the difference between "blue lives matter" and black lives matter is that pigs can take that uniform off and can quit being pigs, black people can't quit being black. pigs aren't some oppressed minority.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

He can always immigrate to North Korea if he wants.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kanine posted:

the difference between "blue lives matter" and black lives matter is that pigs can take that uniform off and can quit being pigs, black people can't quit being black. pigs aren't some oppressed minority.

:irony: Your choice of language proves his point.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SimonCat posted:

no, not really

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no, not really

Yes, yes really. If I say "whores" instead of "sex workers" I'm using dehumanizing language.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Wouldn't want to dehumanize the people who regularly get away with murder, that wouldn't be fair to them.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

SimonCat posted:

Well, he's not wrong. In 2016 a gunman killed two Urbandale ( a Des Moines suburb) police officers for no other reason than they were police.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/11/02/2-police-officers-killed-ambush-attacks/93155012/

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SimonCat posted:

Please, do go on about how actually it's cops and not black people who are oppressed in America :allears:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SimonCat posted:

Yes, yes really. If I say "whores" instead of "sex workers" I'm using dehumanizing language.

Cops are the real victims :qq:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SimonCat posted:

well yeah, if you change or add things to the thing it changes :confused:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
It's awesome how people hate it when you point out they're hypocrites.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SimonCat posted:

Giod thing nazis aren't people

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SimonCat posted:

Maybe one day black americans will know how horrible it feels to be broadly judged for a single attribute.

They'll come around.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

When u think about it, hating one group because they harass and murder people with impunity on the reg and hating another group because of the color of their skin is basically the same thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SimonCat posted:

I like your choice of metaphor, comparing police to sex workers.

Because sex workers get paid to gently caress people, and so do the police.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SimonCat posted:

the pigs aren’t human beings

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the pigs aren’t human beings

I agree with SimonCat's point on this, but for a different reason.

Dehumanizing awful human behavior to make us more comfortable with the human susceptibility for awfulness is dangerous.

Like the Nazis we too frequently refer to as 'subhuman' or 'monsters,' we need to remember that cops are normal human beings who've normalized and internalized murderous and discriminatory behavior.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well yeah they're members of the species but to be an american cop is to reject the innate humanity of hundreds of millions of people and thus they should be ejected from consideration as members of that humanity

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/dsam4a/status/963096988416790528

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/FAIRmediawatch/status/962772680851193856

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Crowsbeak posted:

Also something like 87 percent back Bernie.

This is one of the sole bright spots of Dem voters right now. At least they don't hate the alternative.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but the Dem party has been utterly co-opted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lobbyists-democrats-retreat_us_5a7dfbc1e4b08dfc93040362

My fear is that the party can get back Congress and the Presidency by 2020, but not possess the will and ideology to make the necessary change, and the compounding economic and ecological catastrophes will sweep fascism into office permanently by 2028.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 12, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Or we could not and open negotiations for peace and lift sanctions.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Aww... for a second there I thought the artist had illustrated an armada of nuke-dropping airships.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My fear is that the party can get back Congress and the Presidency by 2020, but not possess the will and ideology to make the necessary change, and the compounding economic and ecological catastrophes will sweep fascism into office permanently by 2028.

I've been thinking something along these lines as well recently, leading me to think that, despite his age and such, Bernie's probably the best choice for 2020 nominee. Not only is his victory practically guaranteed, but his popularity likely strengthening the potential wave, him inspiring more left-leaning candidates to run at all levels, and him being at the top of the party and dragging it left with his campaign and such, seems like the best way to ensure that we actually stop things from getting worse and improve things, rather than stalling another four-eight years.

We have an amazing but small window to make real change and really hurt American fascism, so we need to make the most of it, which means actually making things better for people and getting them to see that the two sides really aren't the same. I'm not sure most other potential nominees could, or would if they could, do that; we already have some Democrats saying they won't repeal the Trump tax plan if they get power again, just stabilize or balance it or whatever. The party, and the American people really, need to be saved from themselves, and even just one term of Bernie pushing through things like UHC before he retires and lets someone else run seems like a better way of doing that than Duckworth or someone turning out to be Obama 2.0.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Some idiot getting in and trying to lead via bipartisan legislation with a group of criminals that are currently facilitating a wanna-be dictator that's just too stupid and lazy to go all in on it to the point where they are siding with him over their buddies at the FBI would probably destroy this country. The Democrats would shatter their party especially when the full brunt of the Republican tax plan hits (which President Centrist McDecorum would be too timid to repeal) and without their tepid resistance the Republicans would be free to go full fascist.

I don't think Bernie is the only choice but when people start saying "well Booker/Biden will just not be as much of a corporate stooge" it makes me REALLY nervous.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 12, 2018

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My only fear regarding Bernie's age is who comes next after him. A huge part of Bernie's appeal (and Corbyn's for that matter) is that they have credibility because what they are saying now is the same thing they were saying 30 years ago. After that it's a bunch of people who the left is rightly skeptical of because of their sudden convergence (e.g., Gillibrand) or young people without a national profile (Nina Turner, Ellison). Which is why I think it is super important to campaign really hard not just for Bernie, but for people who can start to develop that credibility with the base.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

My only fear regarding Bernie's age is who comes next after him. A huge part of Bernie's appeal (and Corbyn's for that matter) is that they have credibility because what they are saying now is the same thing they were saying 30 years ago. After that it's a bunch of people who the left is rightly skeptical of because of their sudden convergence (e.g., Gillibrand) or young people without a national profile (Nina Turner, Ellison). Which is why I think it is super important to campaign really hard not just for Bernie, but for people who can start to develop that credibility with the base.

The thing that would allow me to trust another politician to the same degree as Sanders (or greater) is either a long and consistent history (like you said) or a willingness to say very bold things that are outside of the context of what's considered permissible among the mainstream American left. A good example is Corbyn's recent "we need to just nationalize energy in order to try to address global warming" thing. Something like that is very explicit and simply not the kind of thing someone like Gillibrand or Booker would ever say, even in the context of trying to pander to the left.

This is partly why Bernie Sanders mentioning a wealth tax as a possible funding mechanism for MFA stood out so much to me. A wealth tax is something completely outside the realm of mainstream American political discourse. Even single-payer has had some sort of presence among left-leaning discourse in past years, but a wealth tax isn't the kind of thing a politician would ever advocate in an attempt to pander, because even most left-leaning liberals aren't really cognizant of it as an option.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

huh, I genuinely thought Tulsi Gabbard was older than she is

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/963146175301013504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

but they're gonna save us from trump!

• Locked thread