Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The current 3.20 has some core clock locking bug where the processor would be stuck at 1.55Ghz despite whatever settings you applied.
Interesting. Haven't run into this at all with my Taichi. What is supposed to trigger the bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Interesting. Haven't run into this at all with my Taichi. What is supposed to trigger the bug?

Changing VCore in fixed mode.

Here's a badly shot video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIPIbl81x-Q

I don't use it at the moment, so I didn't know about it until I saw a bunch of people complain about it in some overclocker's forum.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Oh OK I OC'd mine differently so that I probably why I didn't run into it. Doesn't seem like as big a deal as I initially thought it'd be going by the video. The one BIOS that would cause you to lose all your settings constantly when trying to OC in the BIOS was more annoying IMO.

They still should've fixed that a while back though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know Gigabyte doesn't have the greatest reputation, or at least it didn't, but I've found the BIOS overclocking tools on my old AM3 mobo to be quite friendly and stable.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The new BIOS for the X370 Taichi is fantastic. You can now tweak every P-state setting (FID, DID, and VID) in the AMD CBS menu and it will actually work.

I got my R7 1700 up to 4.0GHz at 1.2675V with no LLC, and it appears to be stable under load testing! Previously, I was unable to get it above 3.8GHz without running into the "multibug" and having it stuck in P1 at 2.7GHz.

Also, every single PCIe device attached directly to the CPU lanes is in its own IOMMU group now. The PCH still does not do PCIe ACS so all the devices connected to it still show up in one big group.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SamDabbers posted:

The new BIOS for the X370 Taichi is fantastic. You can now tweak every P-state setting (FID, DID, and VID) in the AMD CBS menu and it will actually work.

I got my R7 1700 up to 4.0GHz at 1.2675V with no LLC, and it appears to be stable under load testing! Previously, I was unable to get it above 3.8GHz without running into the "multibug" and having it stuck in P1 at 2.7GHz.

Also, every single PCIe device attached directly to the CPU lanes is in its own IOMMU group now. The PCH still does not do PCIe ACS so all the devices connected to it still show up in one big group.

:eyepop:

God drat, really looking forward to it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So what AM4 ITX boards are HDMI 2 or are we waiting on 400 series chipsets?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

So what AM4 ITX boards are HDMI 2 or are we waiting on 400 series chipsets?

ATX only, I found 2 boards on a German portal:
MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium (7A31-001R)
Biostar Racing X370GT7

From what I understand, HDMI 2.x is not native to AM4 at all and they have to shoehorn in some DisplayPort converter chip to make it work. No idea what the chances are of it showing up in the refresh. I wouldn't count on Netflix 4k content protection etc to survive that.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2018

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
It looks like Asrock added the ability to turn off AMD's PSP too in the BIOS now with 4.40 at least on the X370 Taichi mobo's. Not sure if any others are going to do that as well.

And yeah the volts required to maintain my OC went down a bit across the board for me too though I didn't get any additional headroom. At least not stable headroom anyways. Still at 3.9Ghz with my 1600X but it seems to OC to that speed now with barely more than the stock volts which is nice.

edit: spelling

edit: oh man that sucks, revert to the older BIOS if you can\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 11, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So I updated my BIOS to 4.60 on my ASRock AB350 Pro4, and poo poo is just randomly broken now.

When in the BIOS menus the display will switch on and off randomly which makes doing anything a huge pain in the arse. Also it won't boot cleanly, at the point where it should be booting from a hard drive the machine simply locks up, even when using completely stock settings. The only way to boot is to enter the BIOS menu and click on a device to boot from.

Once booted everything is fine though.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I was considering updating mine today, thanks for the heads up!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A lucky YouTuber got an R5 2400G early and steamed playing with it. Some results:

Forbes posted:

Overwatch: 1080p, High Preset: 60 to 70 FPS during gameplay

Grand Theft Auto V, 1080p (unknown visual settings): 50 to 78 FPS during benchmark

Killing Floor 2, 1080p High Preset: 40 to 50 FPS during gameplay

Rise of the Tomb Raider, 1080p Low Preset: Average 32 FPS during benchmark

Dirt Rally, 1080p Medium Preset: Average 57 FPS during benchmark

Dirt Rally, 1080p Ultra Preset: Average 32 FPS during benchmark

DOOM, 1080p Vulkan (unknown visual settings): 38 to 45 FPS during gameplay

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/02/11/apu-based-1080p-gaming-becomes-a-reality-with-amds-ryzen-5-2400g/

No idea if there was any overclocking, but that's pretty dang compelling for an early pick up on the chip.

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007

Measly Twerp posted:

So I updated my BIOS to 4.60 on my ASRock AB350 Pro4, and poo poo is just randomly broken now.

When in the BIOS menus the display will switch on and off randomly which makes doing anything a huge pain in the arse. Also it won't boot cleanly, at the point where it should be booting from a hard drive the machine simply locks up, even when using completely stock settings. The only way to boot is to enter the BIOS menu and click on a device to boot from.

Once booted everything is fine though.

A more annoying problem I had when updating my MSI SLI GAMING PRO motherboard. Computer kept BSOD even when trying to enter safe mode or even when trying to reinstall Win10 it would bluescreen during the install. Probably took me 2 hours of frustration to finally get it to stop BSOD. BIOS is still the updated version and everything is now working. Computers are a mystery sometimes.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
https://youtu.be/FntY5rYR4cE

Raven Ridge is out and much much better than expected. It competes easily with a GT 1030 @stock, even beating it numerous times. Overclocked, it's closer to the RX 550. I mean look at those loving minimum s! It's still kneecapped by bandwidth though, and unless you get good enough memory to maintain CL14 past 3200 there is little benefit.

I'm basically not seeing the point of anything less than an RX 460 now, the 2200G blows away everything as a budget solution, and the 2400G is an APU finally, really competes with dGPU with GDDR5. AMD needs to improve their color compression in the next generation, as it's obvious upping the shader count will have a less important affect on performance than bandwidth.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That is pretty damned impressive for integrated graphics.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh wow, it's actually going toe-to-toe with 8400 in some tests. What a time to be alive.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My takeaway is still that if GCN weren't so goddamn bandwidth limited, it could probably get away with even fewer PCIe lanes dedicated to the graphics internally.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
35W GE APUs spotted. This is fun.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh the APU's use thermal paste instead of solder, I wasn't aware of that yet. 'Simple' overclocking is pretty much out of the question as the temp spikes are already real at stock.
The Germans did their thing https://www.computerbase.de/2018-02/ryzen-3-2200g-5-2400g-test-amd-raven-ridge/
99$ R3-2200G is amazing at its price, the 169$ R5 barely an upgrade and not worth the extra cost (unless you run apps that respond to hyperthreading)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Really hoping they keep soldering the ryzen+

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There's an unforgivable number of typos and errors, but here's AnandTech on the 2400G:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NewFatMike posted:

There's an unforgivable number of typos and errors, but here's AnandTech on the 2400G:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review

Anandtech's quality has taken a dive, unfortunately. More than that, they focused on the 2400G instead of the much more interesting 2200G, which looks like an unbelievable value.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Interesting, I thought the 2400G was more interesting, but I still need to look at the reviews for the 2200G.

I'm pretty blown away that the 2400G is right around 24-34 FPS on 1080p Ultra/High settings. AnandTech have mostly older titles on there, but I'm very excited to look at some more recent ones. If we're hitting over 30 FPS consistently on medium settings in most titles, I'll be monstrously pleased.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Any reviews showing how fps improves by dropping settings to low/medium/high? Haven’t been able to find anything.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

A lucky YouTuber got an R5 2400G early and steamed playing with it. Some results:

Those seem pretty high against the other quick benchmarks I've seen. Especially with him streaming at the same time, shouldn't that tax the CPU even more?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cage-free egghead posted:

Those seem pretty high against the other quick benchmarks I've seen. Especially with him streaming at the same time, shouldn't that tax the CPU even more?

Streaming using the hardware encoder in a GPU/iGPU doesn't drop framerates very much. The quality isn't as good at lower bitrates, sure, but realtime CPU encoding will put the hurt even on something as powerful as a 1700. If you want to do CPU encoding you really either need a separate machine for encoding (can be your fileserver/etc) or something that's just overkill like a Threadripper or i9.

For most people who aren't making a living off streaming, you're better off just using the GPU encoder. If you're just recording clips or whatever, GPU encoding works fine if you throw a decent bitrate at it, and nobody is going to watch your lovely stream anyway regardless of whether you have some artifacts from sub-par encoding.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 12, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Let's see, 99$ for R3 2200G, ~70$ for a board, 110$ for 3200 DDR4/8GB, 30$ for a case, 110$ SSD+HDD, 35$ for good CPU cooler, 35$ PSU.

Storage is the most negotiable but due to ram prices even a budget build will it 400-450$. Still, besides dumpster diving I don't think you can beat the price to performance.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

cage-free egghead posted:

Looks pretty in-line with the results. Could have been streaming from a separate box with a capture card? I didn't do much research, just saw a few summaries.

Hopefully there will be some reviews and follow ups from goosing the GPU - I would love to see how that goes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

More than that, they focused on the 2400G instead of the much more interesting 2200G, which looks like an unbelievable value.

Considering they aren't even really available on the street, they review what they are sampled.

Personally, I think the 2400G is more interesting because it will have more staying power. Worth spending $600 on your budget gaming or HTPC build vs $540 (or whatever)to me.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe someone else is interested in video playback performance, that info was surprisingly hard to find.
Raven Ridge APUs have a new video decoding engine (VCN) that is very good at playback, VP9, 10bit, H265, no problem (it lacks 10bit hardware encoding though)
Netflix 4K will be possible on RR as soon as the graphics drivers support Microsofts Play Ready 3.0 DRM scheme, which should be the ever popular 'soon'. No idea if it will have the same HDMI monitor only requirement as with Nvidias solution, I wonder how that would work since HDMI 2.x is not a thing yet with AM4 boards.

More info (German) https://www.golem.de/news/ryzen-5-2400g-und-ryzen-3-2200g-im-test-raven-ridge-rockt-1802-132531-3.html

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 12, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

For most people who aren't making a living off streaming, you're better off just using the GPU encoder. If you're just recording clips or whatever, GPU encoding works fine if you throw a decent bitrate at it, and nobody is going to watch your lovely stream anyway regardless of whether you have some artifacts from sub-par encoding.
How many cores do you need before you're just being ridiculous? Big games only use up to 6 cores, and how many can OBS use for software encoding? I imagine there aren't any benchmarks where people "turn off" cores and compare but it'd be fun to see 6C vs 8C vs 12C.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Software encoding can use basically as much cpu as you can throw at it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

How many cores do you need before you're just being ridiculous? Big games only use up to 6 cores, and how many can OBS use for software encoding? I imagine there aren't any benchmarks where people "turn off" cores and compare but it'd be fun to see 6C vs 8C vs 12C.

Depends on what resolution you're streaming and how high you have the encoding preset turned up. The higher the preset, the better the quality for a given bandwidth but the slower it goes. And remember that encoding quality is really the only reason to be using CPU encoding instead of GPU encoding in the first place.

With a relatively fast preset (faster or veryfast), you'll fully occupy at least 2 cores at 720p30 and 4 cores at 1080p30 (i.e. no time left for the game on those cores, just imagine they don't exist). It goes up from there if you want to stream 60fps or use the higher-quality presets. So yeah, on more intensive titles that are scaling out to 6+ cores, you'll notice a loss in framerate even on an 8C processor.

Rendering 1440p60 at the maximum quality presets, on my 6-core 5820K at 4.13 GHz, I can do something like 3 fps, iirc. So if you want to be totally ridiculous, the answer is "a lot". A dedicated TR or i9 for encoding is not overkill if streaming is how you make your livelihood and you want to push something like 1080p60 at a slow preset.

With x265, your encoding times go up by a factor of 10. You don't use that for streaming (even Youtube doesn't like it) but right now we can use orders of magnitude more power than our processors can deliver.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 12, 2018

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

Let's see, 99$ for R3 2200G, ~70$ for a board, 110$ for 3200 DDR4/8GB, 30$ for a case, 110$ SSD+HDD, 35$ for good CPU cooler, 35$ PSU.

R3 comes with a cooler so you can knock off $35, unless you don't like the AMD one for some reason.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Seriously though it kind looks like Raven Ridge obsoletes everything for budget building. Like, to even begin beating the Raven iGPU you need to throw down for a 1050, which is 130-150 if you're lucky. Conversely Vega 8 so slams any desktop Intel iGPU solution that it makes no sense to consider anything but bottom of the barrel Celerons.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Raven Ridge coming just in time for me to build a new system for the ~wife~.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Depends on what resolution you're streaming and how high you have the encoding preset turned up. The higher the preset, the better the quality for a given bandwidth but the slower it goes. And remember that encoding quality is really the only reason to be using CPU encoding instead of GPU encoding in the first place.

With a relatively fast preset (faster or veryfast), you'll fully occupy at least 2 cores at 720p30 and 4 cores at 1080p30 (i.e. no time left for the game on those cores, just imagine they don't exist). It goes up from there if you want to stream 60fps or use the higher-quality presets. So yeah, on more intensive titles that are scaling out to 6+ cores, you'll notice a loss in framerate even on an 8C processor.

Rendering 1440p60 at the maximum quality presets, on my 6-core 5820K at 4.13 GHz, I can do something like 3 fps, iirc. So if you want to be totally ridiculous, the answer is "a lot". A dedicated TR or i9 for encoding is not overkill if streaming is how you make your livelihood and you want to push something like 1080p60 at a slow preset.

With x265, your encoding times go up by a factor of 10.
Good to know, thanks. afaict, ffmpeg does seem to support full utilization, occasional bugs aside.

I didn't know it scaled that much, that's pretty crazy, even with dedicated encoding PCs.

Guess that x400 CPU streaming PC build isn't super viable for 720p60 with a slower preset.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

Guess that x400 CPU streaming PC build isn't super viable for 720p60 with a slower preset.

To make a short story long, GPU encoding is the more viable option for most people, IMO. Twitch bumped up the bitrate you're allowed to send a while back, and it's high enough that GPU encoders don't look like total rear end anymore.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

R3 comes with a cooler so you can knock off $35, unless you don't like the AMD one for some reason.

I mean yeah but Raven already runs hot and there is no reason not to invest in the better cooler to crank the clocks up and get more out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im sure no one cares at this point but i got the opportunity to test a RX580 vs a GTX 1070 founders edition. The 1070 is so much faster its insane, not to mention quieter, cooler running, AND a lot less buggy.

AMD gfx are dead to me.