Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Len posted:

Gotham would be significantly better if they'd based it around Gotham Central which was Law & Order: Gotham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Central

Nah. The first season tried to do this, but it was terrible and they realized that it's pointless to have Gotham without the villains. It got way better once they figured out what to do with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

To be fair on Luke no one could predict that the Republic would let the imperials brutally own them with no resistance, and actively undermine the rebels trying to stop the imperials (because it's really bad writing)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's almost like Darth Vader being Luke's dad and not just a scary space samurai was something Lucas pulled out of his rear end for the sequel when he needed a good twist.

Don't get me wrong it is one hell of a twist but then they went and built an entire new trilogy around it

In the early drafts of Return of the Jedi, Owen was Obi-Wan's brother. It was only decades later that Lucas decided nah, he's Luke's real uncle after all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Taintrunner posted:

Star Wars is fantasy told in a space setting, you can pull any sort of fantasy style plot elements together and make it work, it then becomes Star Wars as an addition to that universe, instead of simply retreading ground around plot elements from the Original Trilogy that makes the original films way dumber - I.E. the death star’s weak spot not being an allegory for the hubris of empire, but instead Sad Dad Moderate Republican betrays the evil empire.

You could do a retelling of the fall of Rome from the perspective of Julius Caesar, you could swipe the aesthetics of the Bandai toy line that’s all samurai themed Star Wars since it’s a massive galaxy and not everything would be identical across it, whatever. The problem is everything the prequels and sequels ads go out of their way to dilute what the original films were about in service of rather forgettable plots and characters.

It’s fantasy tales in a galaxy far far away. You can tell whatever story you want, but cowards in boardrooms insist on going down a checklist of trying to make every Star Wars thing for every conceivable audience imaginable, and entrapped by this they keep running down the same list of stuff people have already seen before, when the actual answer is people want something new and fresh under the thematic guidelines of an emotional fantasy space opera.

They should do want Cloverfield does; buy up any old script and just slap the Star Wars name on it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Davros1 posted:

They should do want Cloverfield does; buy up any old script and just slap the Star Wars name on it.

Just remake old movies with a Star Wars skin on it.

Seven Samurai but with Jedi.
Casablanca but with a scoundrel Lando.
The Wizard of Oz but with the Force.

I tell you the possibilities are endless!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

gently caress you! Now I want these

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Just remake old movies with a Star Wars skin on it.

The Wizard of Oz but with the Force.

I tell you the possibilities are endless!

Clone Wars already did the Seven Samurai

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah but do it in an actual movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

To be fair on Luke no one could predict that the Republic would let the imperials brutally own them with no resistance, and actively undermine the rebels trying to stop the imperials (because it's really bad writing)
Governments, political elites, and the ruling class in general literally do this repeatedly and predictably in the real world.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

In the early drafts of Return of the Jedi, Owen was Obi-Wan's brother. It was only decades later that Lucas decided nah, he's Luke's real uncle after all.

Before the prequels I just assumed that Owen and Beru were "aunt" and "uncle" in the same way that semi-adoptive foster parents who wished you weren't shoved into their lives are "aunt" and "uncle". Their last name was never mentioned, was it? Maybe it was in the credits or something, but "Owen Skywalker" was never uttered. Guess that's just my headcanon or whatever.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

feedmyleg posted:

Before the prequels I just assumed that Owen and Beru were "aunt" and "uncle" in the same way that semi-adoptive foster parents who wished you weren't shoved into their lives are "aunt" and "uncle". Their last name was never mentioned, was it? Maybe it was in the credits or something, but "Owen Skywalker" was never uttered. Guess that's just my headcanon or whatever.

Their last name is Lars, isn't it? No idea whether anyone actually says it out loud.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's said out loud in attack of the clones at the very least, not sure if they say their full names in the OT. I knew their full name from a trading card.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah but do it in an actual movie.

Only if they do a direct adaption of this comic:

https://nerdvanamedia.com/comics/that-time-star-wars-went-full-magnificent-seven/115602/

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Governments, political elites, and the ruling class in general literally do this repeatedly and predictably in the real world.

Don't pretend Star Wars has the complexity of the ATF giving guns to Mexican cartels. It's just a crappy script to set the good guys up as the rebels again.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

crappy scripts can still make internal sense. the political situation of the sequels isn't implausible or unbelievable, it's just dull and largely ignored by its own narrative

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wow, I never knew Bucky O'Hare was part of the Extended Universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You would think they'd have Usagi Yojimbo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. The first season tried to do this, but it was terrible and they realized that it's pointless to have Gotham without the villains. It got way better once they figured out what to do with the show.

Gotham is amazing now.

- Teenage Bruce Wayne is running around at night beating up muggers dressed like a gimp.
- A 10-year-old girl who loves plants (and lived in the same apartment as teenage Catwoman) fell into some chemicals and now her actress is replaced by a sexy 20-something actress. If you can't tell, this is the origin of Poison Ivy.
- The Riddler has a crush on Penguin but Penguin had Mr Freeze.... freeze him and turn him into a decoration in Penguin's new bad guy HQ.
- Speaking of Penguin, his stepmother and stepsiblings wanted to swindle him of his inheritence so his stepmother tried to have her daughter seduce penguin. This failed really badly when
Penguin killed his stepsiblings and fed them to their mother. By the way, Penguin's father was played by Paul Reubens.
- Alfred punched R'as Al-Ghul.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i really appreciate gotham's commitment to basically always have the most dramatic absurd thing the writers could think of happen happen in nearly every plot

it's beautiful and ridiculous

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

hemale in pain posted:

Don't pretend Star Wars has the complexity of the ATF giving guns to Mexican cartels. It's just a crappy script to set the good guys up as the rebels again.

"This whole premise is stupid."
"Actually, it's fairly realistic."
"Yeah, well Star Wars is too stupid to intentionally think of a premise this clever."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Winston in Ghostbusters was originally going to be Eddie Murphy too, iirc, and they cut down the part when they had to replace him.

Urban legend, not true.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timby posted:

Urban legend, not true.

Really? I remember having an art book awhile back that had a bunch of early production stuff back when the movie was going to be “Ghost Smashers,” with the heroes using wrist-mounted wands instead of proton packs, and the Winston character was specifically mentioned to have been intended for Eddie Murphy before things fell through. I mean, that was a vastly different iteration of the script (obviously), but I’ve never heard differently.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

No one responded to this likely because it's wrong and bad but um Obi-Wan's outfit is, in fact, different from Luke and Luke's Uncle's. And not just different, but pretty fuckin different

They're very different, apart from the white and...a belt?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kenobi's look is closer to Vader's

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This was my first Star Wars comic. I didn't know for decades that people didn't like the green bunny alien (named Jaxxon!)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brother Entropy posted:

i really appreciate gotham's commitment to basically always have the most dramatic absurd thing the writers could think of happen happen in nearly every plot

it's beautiful and ridiculous

Seems kind of fitting, too. I should possibly watch it now.

Though I don't like what they keep turning Poison Ivy into some kind of plant elemental thing on day one, she worked just fine in BTAS as a brilliant botanist and chemist descending into increasingly extreme views and only eventually turning herself irreversibly into something nonhuman. That show had quite a theme of villains in downward spirals. (or on the up and up; the first two seasons basically portray the decline of Gotham's traditional organised crime, paving the way for the freaks to take over almost completely)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tars Tarkas posted:

This was my first Star Wars comic. I didn't know for decades that people didn't like the green bunny alien (named Jaxxon!)

Jaxxon loving rules and I always liked him.

Also for real the creators of Bucky O'Hare totally based that entire cartoon and cast off of that one Star Wars issue and not even just Jaxxon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The novel Kenobi is pretty much Western. It's honestly really good and they should adapt it if Ewan is up for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Davros1 posted:

Star Wars is small. The moment you remove the Jedi or the Sith or the Rebellion or the Empire, it becomes generic sci-fi.

I'm not calling for the removal or lessening of either. I guess I was just disappointed that the visual language for the whole Jedi was based on one character?

Like, as an example, I can accept that the Naboo Queen wears faux geisha makeup because it's ceremonial. If Amidala's successor had shown up in the Red Geisha dress from Ep1, and the explanation was "it's traditional Naboo monarchy dress when negotiating with foreign envoys" it would make the world less colorful.

Or, like, we meet another Corelian smuggler and he just has to have Han's pinstripe pants or something.

Waffles Inc. posted:

They're very different, apart from the white and...a belt?
There's variation, but in terms of materials and aesthetics, it's pretty drat close. Luke wears a tunic, Obi Wan wears something closer to a robe. They both look like cast-off martial arts gear, and both reflect the world they live on.
I'll concede that I might not be perceptive enough to the intricacies of the costuming in Ep4, but it's always been a case of "this is what you wear when you live in a desert planet" to me.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Lmaooo
https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/12/17004382/five-nights-at-freddys-movie-director-chris-columbus-blumhouse

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is going to be the worst thing a person named Christopher Columbus has ever done

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Little known fact: a packed midnight premier screening of Five Nights At Freddy’s was originally going to be one of Dante’s seven circles of hell in Inferno, but he felt it would be “a bit too much.”

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I pity the fool who isn’t exited to see what a Blumhouse Five Nights at Freddy’s is going to be like

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FNAF are scary games for kids so it makes sense to hire children's film director.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should get the guy who did Goosebumps. And get Jack Black for that matter

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jack Black should play the guy watching the cameras.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I would actually be 100% into this. Goosebumps was surprisingly good, and managed to get the feeling of the books down pretty well.

GonSmithe posted:

I pity the fool who isn’t exited to see what a Blumhouse Five Nights at Freddy’s is going to be like

This. I kinda hope it's R rated, but I have a feeling it'll be PG-13. Maybe we'll get some good practical effects with the animatronics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What's this Five Nights thing and why is it terrible?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Even Chris Columbus's good movies border on very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Shageletic posted:

What's this Five Nights thing and why is it terrible?

Five Nights at Freddy's is a jumpscare game about a grimdark pizza place full of murderous animatronic animals that enraptured a nation of youtube manchildren who pretended to scream a lot, gaining untold billions of elementary school fans along the way.