Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, my contract is coming to an end in about two weeks, but we're rapidly running out of work to do. So most of my day is sitting at my desk with nothing to do.

It has some upsides, but mostly it's just really tedious and makes the days stretch out forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I should’ve specified that I was imagining the sort of place where they don’t mind if you read or browse forums as long as your work is done/you LOOK like you’re working. And even then, I still see how it’d get old sooner rather than later.

I kinda run the office I manage like that. As long as you get your work done and immediately turn it off if one of the three people above me in the company come around (uncommon because they're in a physically separate building), I don't really care if you have movies or music playing or if you're browsing the Internet. Everyone also gets two paid 15-minute breaks every day in addition to their lunch, even if they're not smokers.

Turns out they end up enjoying their jobs more and getting their work done more efficiently because they're not stressed or bored out of their skull all day, and the job is so low-stress that they even come in on weekends for extra money. More than once we've ended up pushing out work far ahead of schedule because of how fast everyone is.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Feb 11, 2018

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

chitoryu12 posted:

I kinda run the office I manage like that. As long as you get your work done and immediately turn it off if one of the three people above me in the company come around (uncommon because they're in a physically separate building), I don't really care if you have movies or music playing or if you're browsing the Internet. Everyone also gets two paid 15-minute breaks every day in addition to their lunch, even if they're not smokers.

Turns out they end up enjoying their jobs more and getting their work done more efficiently because they're not stressed or bored out of their skull all day, and the job is so low-stress that they even come in on weekends for extra money. More than once we've ended up pushing out work far ahead of schedule because of how fast everyone is.

The people you manage are very lucky.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You'd think the concept of "Your employees work better when they're happy and don't want to burn the place down" wouldn't be as rare as it is, but :capitalism:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Angry Salami posted:

The passengers are played by themselves!

It, ah, turns out that random guys who happened to be on a train aren't necessarily good actors.

I heard a snippet of their dialog on NPR and holy poo poo, why did you go through with this, Clint Eastwood?

They were just doing some filler banter and couldn't even make that remotely organic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kimbo305 posted:

I heard a snippet of their dialog on NPR and holy poo poo, why did you go through with this, Clint Eastwood?

They were just doing some filler banter and couldn't even make that remotely organic.

He's a senile hardcore-conservative gently caress who talks to empty chairs and should probably be put under guardianship, not allowed to make movies.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The real gen-you-wine Asian gang members he used in Gran Torino were just loving awful. None of them could act and it ruined any scene they were in. That was the low point of an already hamfisted and facile movie that is far more beloved than it deserves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The people you manage are very lucky.

Thanks. A lot of them are actually from food service and had no prior experience in an office environment, because they're so used to a high-stress environment that basically nothing we throw at them will hurt.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

chitoryu12 posted:

Thanks. A lot of them are actually from food service and had no prior experience in an office environment, because they're so used to a high-stress environment that basically nothing we throw at them will hurt.

I, too, aspire to one day no longer work in hell. Should that ever happen, I hope I stumble across reasonable management. At least now I know such a thing actually exists out there somewhere.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I, too, aspire to one day no longer work in hell. Should that ever happen, I hope I stumble across reasonable management. At least now I know such a thing actually exists out there somewhere.

Honestly, I'd attribute youth to it. I'm going on 26, so I know very well how hard it is for most people my age to make ends meet and how much stress they're under (especially the people who are trying to do school and work simultaneously). I don't have preconceived notions dating back 40 or 50 years about how a professional environment "should look like". The owners do, so it's a constant battle against their attempts to enforce uniformity for no good reason because the desks all have to be the same style and fit together in such and such a way, or their bizarre requests for how social media should be run.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

quote:

STORY TIME!!

So my brother(27) and uncle(30) are these two misogynist dudes and a little homophobic with two EXTREMELY hot girlfriends. My brothers girlfriend is bisexual. One time all five of us went to eat and somehow the conversation came out that would they rather their girlfriends cheat on them with a girl or a boy. My brothers and uncle easily said girls cause they wouldn’t mind and it’d be kinda hot. Anyways a few months go by and I find out they are no longer dating the girls. I asked what happened and they said nothing but both look pissed! I was kinda glad cause the girls were so nice and my uncle and bro are assholes who sometimes cheat(They are the worst!). So the other day I went back to Mexico(This is were my brother and uncle live) to visit my family and I saw the girls. When I went to say hi they were a little awkward but after I told them I was a little glad they left the guys they were more friendlier. Basically they told me that they fell for each other and have been dating since they broke up with my bro and uncle. One even said she was a lesbian but was too scared to come until she met the other(bi) girl. They met through my uncle and brother.

LIKE GUYS CAN YOU IMAGINE YOUR OTP THIS IS STRAIGHT OUT OF A FANFICTION

Any post that begins with 'STORY TIME' may as well be greentext.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what this is and I can't understand it but I know it belongs here

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And when she threw that he pulled out another. And then another. And another. And so on until the car was over flowing with Kid Rock cd's, and the cops had to cordon off the growing, now semisentient pile of discs.

And Brandon's dad..... was Vanilla Ice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bread Liar

Danaru posted:

You'd think the concept of "Your employees work better when they're happy and don't want to burn the place down" wouldn't be as rare as it is, but :capitalism:

You mean that making your staff wearing bracelets which track every motion of their hands and if they don't perform the arbitrarily determinded number of movements per minute they get penalised or fired isn't conducive to staff happiness?

No surprises to guess it's Amazon.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, my contract is coming to an end in about two weeks, but we're rapidly running out of work to do. So most of my day is sitting at my desk with nothing to do.

It has some upsides, but mostly it's just really tedious and makes the days stretch out forever.

I know the feeling. I'm on loan to a project in Germany at the moment and spend most of my days just sitting here in an office watching Netflix. Two weeks of this so far. I probably won't have any actual work to do for another week or two, and it's excruciating. I'm paid well and get 180% during these things plus a per diem and get to expense pretty much everything, so I'm cleaning up, but I'd rather be at home making less but having more to do and getting to sleep in my own bed with my fiancee who I miss.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Furia posted:

Poor fella, his name is Brandon’s Dad. I can only imagine the teasing in high school

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Poor fella, his name is Brandon’s Dad. I can only imagine the teasing in high school

Had the non-word “bawitdaba” for a mouth

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

I know the feeling. I'm on loan to a project in Germany at the moment and spend most of my days just sitting here in an office watching Netflix. Two weeks of this so far. I probably won't have any actual work to do for another week or two, and it's excruciating. I'm paid well and get 180% during these things plus a per diem and get to expense pretty much everything, so I'm cleaning up, but I'd rather be at home making less but having more to do and getting to sleep in my own bed with my fiancee who I miss.

Dude you can feel free to pass this job on to me and go home. I won't even miss your fiancee while I'm over there!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'd call this low-hanging fruit but we just had a NAR story, so...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ReidRansom posted:

Some guys came to where I worked, crossing an ocean to get here. They said every week they were told they would start the following week. I saw them over the course of 2 or 3 months, and they were pissed off and just wanted to go home.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
YOU ARE BUT A FIEND AND A ROGUE, SIR! HAVE AT YOU!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Were this happening he'd also be an antivaxxer doctor.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

YOU ARE BUT A FIEND AND A ROGUE, SIR! HAVE AT YOU!

The story would have taken a turn for the great if she whipped out a sword and slashed him IMO

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

:airquote: male bonding time :airquote:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Haifisch posted:

:lol: MRAs are so pathetic.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Furia posted:

I guess "relationship goals" has crossed over to the realm of meaninglessness.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Lol that in his story he gets ousted from the 8:2 female:male group yet the other guy is the beta

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
MRA logic is still tied fundamentally to that PUA "chicks only like assholes!" mentality. Hence any man who is considerate to women is a weak beta cuck.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Haifisch posted:

He quit a clinic that was required as part of his law degree, then immediately started his own clinic, presumably before passing the bar and being allowed to practice?

Ya, this doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Captain save a hoe is kinda funny

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

Captain save a hoe is kinda funny

It’s also a song by E-40

https://youtu.be/_7vQSPBtwyc

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Haifisch posted:

"The eight girls began clapping and cheering him, what a spineless beta cuck."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

gently caress the police

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I always carry around a few grand in cash just in case a situation like that happens.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Field Mousepad posted:

I always carry around a few grand in cash just in case a situation like that happens.

So, uh... Where do you usually hang out?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I would have given the woman the $1,500 on the condition that she tell her son that they're never going to Disney and Mickey is loving dead.

Hell, my parents did that to me for free.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Disneyland is bomb but also kind of better as an adult. And would be even double triple better if they allowed in beer damnit!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Drunk Tomato posted:

Disneyland is bomb but also kind of better as an adult. And would be even double triple better if they allowed in beer damnit!

Look at this noob who hasn't figured out the stealth camelbak full of riot punch theme park method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Look at this noob who hasn't figured out the stealth camelbak full of riot punch theme park method.

Just lol if you’re not filling your camelbak with Fight Milk