Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Star Trek: Discovering how aliens piss/poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

starfleet academy probably has a whole building just dedicated to bathrooms to accommodate all the different aliens and genders

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Voyager has jokes about how rough a Bolian shits

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I love how any old battle with lovely models was more expansive and portrayed actual war more than the CGI-fest ST:D was.

They copped out of ALL Big Space Battles. The Conclusion to this season lacked one. The Binary Stars Battle was lackluster.

The budget must be tiny and all spend on the Kelpian Makeup.

It's not like Sacrifice of Angels came out all the way back in 1998 and put most movie space battles (that weren't star wars) to shame.
For having such a large SFX budget the people running discovery have no ideal how to make space battles look good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they really shouldn't have shown the klingons pissing because when you think about the implications of the different ways aliens piss and poo poo it really opens up a whole series of logistical problems for any sort of situation where humans and aliens are going to be hanging out in the same place where they'd need to go at some point

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mulaney Power Move posted:

starfleet academy probably has a whole building just dedicated to bathrooms to accommodate all the different aliens and genders

I wonder if they have advanced toilet technology so it can reconfigure itself based on the species using the toilet.

But I still don't know why they don't just use transporters to beam it into the waste reclamation tanks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Did anyone ever post the Potatoes O’Brien recipe?

*please don’t just reply with a picture of Colm Meany’s lumpy rear end head

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

Did anyone ever post the Potatoes O’Brien recipe?

*please don’t just reply with a picture of Colm Meany’s lumpy rear end head

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

they really shouldn't have shown the klingons pissing because when you think about the implications of the different ways aliens piss and poo poo it really opens up a whole series of logistical problems for any sort of situation where humans and aliens are going to be hanging out in the same place where they'd need to go at some point

It's been a long time but I vaguely recall that Babylon 5 mentioned or dealt with this at some point

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sinding Johansson posted:

... but Disco's real offence is that the tone is all wrong. Hilarious ideas are being played completely straight. It's bizarre.

That loving ending... The federation enables a psychotic religious fanatic to seize power and unite the klingon houses. An acolyte of the prophet that started the push for conquering the federation, she suffered through the federation killing her torchbearer and killing her messiah. Then she sacrificed her lover and new torchbearer to turn him into a sleeper agent (a project that miserably failed) and spent time imprisoned on Discovery before finally being brutally beaten by Georgiou. That's the person they put in power and they end the episode with a grand speech like "Yeah, this is the best possible outcome"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

conquered by two dicked space monsters from beyond the moon

You've read my work?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

saturday night live's "love boat: the next generation" revealed that orion slave girls or whoever the ferengi was with urinate through their skin like sharks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do horta poo?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mondian posted:

That loving ending... The federation enables a psychotic religious fanatic to seize power and unite the klingon houses. An acolyte of the prophet that started the push for conquering the federation, she suffered through the federation killing her torchbearer and killing her messiah. Then she sacrificed her lover and new torchbearer to turn him into a sleeper agent (a project that miserably failed) and spent time imprisoned on Discovery before finally being brutally beaten by Georgiou. That's the person they put in power and they end the episode with a grand speech like "Yeah, this is the best possible outcome"

We're along way from Picard's version of the Prime Directive.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
The Federation's greatest minds spent decades developing a toilet that any alien can use only to discover that any hole in the ground or floor will do.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The sonic showers and commodes are the same thing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tricky D posted:

The sonic showers and commodes are the same thing.

"Computer, activate sonic shower"
*beeps affirmation*
"Computer, run protocol "Brown Note""

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mondian posted:

Yep. She gave no indication whatsoever she would back their ships off from earth rather then just going for it. The whole premise is stupid anyway, Starfleet is never shown in TOS to be anything but equals to the Klingons, hence it being a COLD war.

Discovery almost had me with the Mirror episodes. They were fun and rather exciting even if they completely wasted Lorca's reveal and should probably have been the finale right there. Instead Burnham kidnaps super crazy emporer captain, pretending shes not a horrific mass murderer and leader of a brutal facist regime for some loving stupid reason.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Discovery sounds really bad you guys.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s ok.

Uneven and certainly different from the Berman/Braga-era Trek. The back-half is much better than the first-half.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kitchner posted:

Yes.

No one ever mentions this ever again in any of the star trek shows.

"Hey, remember that time half the Federation was conquered by kingons?"
It's especially weird because the Klingons as established are complete dicks who would be constantly throwing that in every Federation member's face at the slightest provocation.

Nutsngum posted:

Instead Burnham kidnaps super crazy emporer captain, pretending shes not a horrific mass murderer and leader of a brutal facist regime for some loving stupid reason.
Burnham isn't the leader of the Federation.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I just watched the last episode and uh, lol.

*tries to pop yet another half-inflated plot balloon* :flaccid:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Al Borland Corp. posted:

drat that's an old rear end ship

I can see that as being totally believable. The USN Ticonderoga-class cruisers have been sailing since 83, and the B-1B bombers the same. If you want to get crazy, the newest B-52 rolled off the assembly line in 1962, and most of the USAF's front line fighters are based on designs that started in the 60/70's.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Mondian posted:

yyuuup.

they should have just let georgiou nuke kronos and kept the same grimdark theme running

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

yyuuup.

they should have just let georgiou nuke kronos and kept the same grimdark theme running

I would have enjoyed that more, gently caress continuity. They could have had their cake and eaten it too with the social media buzz over the WTF-ness of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually considering how Klingons fight, they would probably think that nuking Kronos is loving awesome and decide to stop the war out of respect for crazy emperor's ballsiness. Then they spend the next few decades antagonizing the federation because they want round two but the Federation keeps blue balling them.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wonder if sisko ever had worf put out a control console fire just by pissing on it like b-17 crew members did during world war 2

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'll say this

Big E looking fine as gently caress.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

alright guys i've been watching this alternate universe arc on std and because i love that poo poo + the spore guy really sells the shulginesque science thing so i'm gonna make a very controversial ranking of star trek here

ds9 > std > orville > else who cares.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Hoping the first thing that happens S02 E01 is Pike beaming over to the Discovery and exclaiming, "what's with the loving mood lighting?"

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Blistex posted:

Hoping the first thing that happens S02 E01 is Pike beaming over to the Discovery and exclaiming, "what's with the loving mood lighting?"

"Wow, look at all the women you have in your command section, right here on the bridge of all places. We just have Number One, but she's one of the fellahs when you get right down to it. Wow, I bet you guys don't ever have to get your own coffee ha ha ha!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

"Wow, look at all the women you have in your command section, right here on the bridge of all places. We just have Number One, but she's one of the fellahs when you get right down to it. Wow, I bet you guys don't ever have to get your own coffee ha ha ha!"

I want Burnham to beam over to the Enterprise and it's all Pastels in glorious 1970's Technicolor with no explanation given.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If S2 isn't 15 episodes of Burnham struggling to quell her deep hunger to taste Kelpien again then we've all been robbed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

I want Burnham to beam over to the Enterprise and it's all Pastels in glorious 1970's Technicolor with no explanation given.

As mentioned in one of these threads, the Pike enterprise was pretty grey. Well lit, but grey.

Also, the women wore pants. Which makes me wonder if the whole technicolor and miniskirts wasn't just Kirk's fetish.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Which Federation ideal is being upheld by either bombing an entire planet with billions of inhabitants, or putting a rapist fanatic that is awful at planning in charge via blackmail that can probably be disarmed?

Also, I thought Klingons didn't allow female leaders of houses at this point, let alone emperors?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well she has a button that makes the planet asplode

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Also, I thought Klingons didn't allow female leaders of houses at this point, let alone emperors?

depends on who the writer is

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

and just because picard wouldn't murder an entire planet doesn't mean other starfleet captains wouldn't. sisko did and it was approved by starfleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sisko didn't murder a planet, he just made it habitable only by the people who actually owned it