Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ever wonder how MLM's work in areas where human rights are...inconsistent?

https://www.economist.com/news/china/21736182-crackdowns-may-not-be-working-pyramid-schemes-cause-huge-social-harm-china

Late-stage capitialism will be marked by Lularoe whistleblowers strangled to death by their donut leggings.

Pfft, people are always going on about human rights. What about CAPITAL rights, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

lol this post is hilarious because 1) free horse so GWM but 2) another horse mouth to feed so BWM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is that all one sentence

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is that all one sentence

They are trying to be Cormac McCarthy in All the Pretty horses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Really, getting kicked in the head by a horse would explain the typing, owning that many horses, and thinking someone on Facebook is going to give you a purebred for free because it’s your dream.

I’m sure if she waited until she no longer had any horses and put all of the money she spends on them away for a few months she would have the money to buy one.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

"You just have to make room in your life for the universe to provide what it is you're seeking!" - a literal thing that Oprah believes and tries to spread as material fact

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
- The Secret

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Youth Decay posted:

First of all, why would you brag about being able to afford something from a dollar store?
Second of all, that's a debit card.

Why is the i in VISA lower case?

The rectangle also looks like it has hard edges and the V looks like it's missing the yellow. Is this a fake MLM debit card? :psyduck:

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 12, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The secret is to pay attention literally all of the time until you (mostly) figure out how it works.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DEMAG posted:

Why is the i in VISA lower case?

The rectangle also looks like it has hard edges and the V looks like it's missing the yellow. Is this a fake MLM debit card? :psyduck:

Visa did away with the orange in their logo a few years ago. As for the lowercase i, could be lighting or a scratch on the card, maybe?

Edit: Just grabbed my wallet and checked, my not-younqiue-related visa card has a logo with no orange and sharper corners on the rectangular white part. I think the lowercase i is just lighting or a scuff.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 12, 2018

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

hailthefish posted:

Visa did away with the orange in their logo a few years ago. As for the lowercase i, could be lighting or a scratch on the card, maybe?

Edit: Just grabbed my wallet and checked, my not-younqiue-related visa card has a logo with no orange and sharper corners on the rectangular white part. I think the lowercase i is just lighting or a scuff.

Looking closely, it does look like a scratch.

Big surprise, there's no info about maintenance fees on this card from either Younique or their payment processor. Payment cards typically have absolutely usurious fees, often charging people upwards of $.50 to check their balance via phone or to make purchases.

Not my style, but it's a competent execution of this type of makeup. But her product list doesn't include the false eyelashes she obviously used, so what else did she use to get this look? Maybe if I add all her products to my cart...

:aaaaa:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

NancyPants posted:

Not my style, but it's a competent execution of this type of makeup. But her product list doesn't include the false eyelashes she obviously used, so what else did she use to get this look? Maybe if I add all her products to my cart...

Under the cake, you can tell this girl has terrible skin.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7wxgtv/my_son_faked_going_to_college_and_ive_unknowingly/
My son faked going to college and I’ve unknowingly been claiming false education credits please help

(self.legaladvice)

quote:

I asked my son for his 1098 t form since he is home and “graduated from college” but after not being able to access it he finally tells me the truth that he never went to college and dropped out of community college after not getting accepted into a 4 year institution. I had ZERO knowledge of his deception and have been claiming education credits for the years he “attended” (2015-2016,2016-2017). How do I go about about amending my previous tax returns? What forms do I use? How long will it take he IRS to notice? How much would I need to pay back? What are the steps I need to take to be in good standing with the IRS?

Any help and advice appreciated. Thank you reddit.
:murder:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Under the cake, you can tell this girl has terrible skin.

I mean, that is generally why women wear makeup, but they look like moles to me.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

NancyPants posted:

But her product list doesn't include the false eyelashes she obviously used

I have an ex who's really into fake eyelashes and now I can't stand bad quality fake eyelashes. And those are some bad fake eyelashes. So bad.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7wxgtv/my_son_faked_going_to_college_and_ive_unknowingly/
My son faked going to college and I’ve unknowingly been claiming false education credits please help

(self.legaladvice)

Wow, if that's real that's one's bad. Like, what was the son figuring would be the endgame here?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ever wonder how MLM's work in areas where human rights are...inconsistent?

https://www.economist.com/news/china/21736182-crackdowns-may-not-be-working-pyramid-schemes-cause-huge-social-harm-china

Late-stage capitialism will be marked by Lularoe whistleblowers strangled to death by their donut leggings.

A Banana Lip Gloss Republic.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

IllegallySober posted:

Wow, if that's real that's one's bad. Like, what was the son figuring would be the endgame here?

Everything is deleted, but I'm sure the son was just going to live off his parents for a few years and then hope to find a regular job. That, or just mooch and figure that the problems are still a few years away and he won't worry about it. Mom shouldn't have been just handing over money to her son to have him pay for college, she should have been paying the college direct.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would guess that the son hadn't actually figured out any 'endgame' at all.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

canyoneer posted:

(self.legaladvice)

There is a story like this that ends with actual murder, but maybe not in the way you would think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Pan

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ashcans posted:

This. He probably didn’t think about it beyond the mooching. No forethought or care put into the decision.

Humans are notoriously bad decision makers for long term stuff, and basically incapable of it while still in puberty.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ashcans posted:

He was probably planning on hitting it big as a streamer or youtube celebrity

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Is that plan A nowadays?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Or, you know, maybe something like mental health issues he didn't feel able to discuss with his parents?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

hailthefish posted:

Or, you know, maybe something like mental health issues he didn't feel able to discuss with his parents?

You get outta here with your possible alternatives and empathic thoughts. :colbert:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

"Yeah, I dunno mom, even people with college degrees are working at Starbucks these days. Thanks, Obummer."

What I don't get is it describes him as a college graduate. My folks barely helped me in college and were largely apathetic about all their kids and they still showed up at my graduation. Like, wouldn't his mom had known something was up when her son 'graduated' without any fanfare?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Lots of people skip their college graduation ceremony. My wife didn't want to drive 12 hours round-trip to walk, so she had her diploma mailed.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The men in my family have a long tradition of not walking at graduation, my cousin is probably going to break three generations of avoiding our undergraduate graduation ceremonies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, my parents (who graciously paid every penny of my college tuition) told me that I was ABSOLUTELY going to walk at my graduation and would be showing them my diploma or paying them back in full.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know a person who did that for several years. She had basically flunked/dropped out of undergrad and never graduated, but told everyone she had. Then she spent a year pretending to go to pharmacy school, until her boyfriend/fiance/technically husband met a pharmacy professor who said he had no idea who she was and he looked into it.

So that's when he and her family realized she didn't get into pharmacy school and had just been working in a nail salon for a year.

...a week after he took her to her parents to fess up was when it came out that she hadn't even graduated from undergrad.

They got married a bit ago, good for them I guess. He's basically the complete opposite, though - in medicine, hard worker, etc. He spends an hour a day at the gym or something like that, so he would have had no problems finding someone else. I'm amazed he stayed with her, but hey, if it works for him, I guess.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Digging in the most controversial r/pf posts provides some pretty good poo poo:

Me(29),Wife(30),Kids(3,4,12,13) Are going to be homeless in a few weeks. I need advice/help/input.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/72ufow/me29wife30kids341213_are_going_to_be_homeless_in/ posted:

To start we have zero family members.

no living parents, guardians, brothers/sisters that I know of.

we are a family of 6. drug free, alcohol free, smoke free your average cleancut family.

I think our lives began to fall apart 3 years ago. I owned and operated multiple second hand stores in northern california. I had a monthly income of around 6k. after a home invasion burglary we were left in debt, without a vehicle, and traumatized. I closed our stores and moved out to southern california within a few weeks of the incident. It wasn't ideal or smart but going through such a traumatic experience like that, and making the money we were making I had this logic:

1 we can restart our lives elsewhere. we are two capable/smart adults.
2 my familys happiness is priority #1.

your family doesn't want to live in that town or house another second, and although 2 weeks is short notice. it felt like a lifetime. They wouldn't even go to bed.

we moved to southern california and started buying/reselling out here. I had a store for a short time which was doing extremely well but unfortunately, I couldn't renew my lease as the owners were selling the building. Once it closed, I went through terrible vehicle troubles. due to all of this I was late on my rent by a week. I took out a loan to pay it after receiving a 3 day notice. I attempted to pay the amount stated on the notice but the woman in the office refused to accept payment without the manager in the office. after getting a hold of the manager, I was told the eviction process has been started. and I'm told to stop it, I'd have to pay $900 extra in fees.

I was given an unlawful detainer, and my court date is scheduled for the 3rd. I'm assuming I'm going to lose it simply because I have no evidence I tried to pay it other than the word of the office staff. and even if things go in my favor now, I'm still 2 months behind on rent. and I've got close to nothing to pay for it.

Right now our situation is this:

I estimate I have around 5-6 days after the court date to leave. I assume by that time I'll have around 2,000-2,400 in cash

our only solid source of income is a disability for my oldest child. which amounts to $800 a month. I'm confident with storage, running vehicle, and internet access I could make an additional $1000-2000 monthly.

Rent is ridiculous in southern california. My credit score is non existent. I've never had a credit card, or loan from a bank before. never qualified I've always had bad credit. I've got ridiculous medical bills that aren't mine, and other unknown bills on my report due to my biological mom selling my identity as a child. My wifes credit isn't any better. hers is bad from an ex marriage.

any rental place will require an extremely large deposit + first months rent. I estimate i'd need around $3,000 - $3,500 to rent a place in southern california. and atleast $2,500 anyplace else

My vehicle currently is a van that is not registered, insured, expired tags, has no reverse, overheats, and transmission is going out. Literally bought it for a few hundred dollars as a last resort when my vehicle died in an effort have some sort of transportation as my living revolves around transportation. I feel I can buy/resell and make a decent living as long as I have transportation. a vans not ideal, but it fit my family and would atleast let me make deliveries.

Right now the most important thing to me is keeping custody of my children.

I don't want them in a foster home. I want to be in their lives as much as possible. I grew up homeless living in a vehicle with my biological mother, and I would take that 100% of the time. I 100% feel they'd have a better life living with a mom & dad that loves them in a vehicle, than they would in foster care. The idea of not having housing scares me as I see that as a risk of having my children removed from me.

So I feel my options are as follows:

1 Find a way to buy the best SUV possible.

2k to 2,400 probably won't buy me a reliable vehicle, but I'm going to have to use it to buy the most reliable vehicle possible. currently my Minivan is small, and it's not going to last me for the reasons stated above. Frankly I don't trust it driving me more than 30 minutes away. I'm looking at getting an older Suburban or a Yukon XL. I feel like they are large enough to have us all sleep in comfortablly. I can't afford an RV, and all the ads selling those driveable RVs/Motorhomes within the 2k price range are most likely ready to fall apart. Plus i feel like if something did happen mechanically fixing a Suburban would be cheaper than fixing an RV.

I think if we had a reliable SUV, we could all sleep in I could make my $1000-$2000 monthly buying/reselling + 800 in my sons social security benefits. I'd have to pay for a larger storage, and find someplace I could have 24/7 computer access. not sure if I could setup wifi through a storage facility or turn my space into an office. I doubt it but I estimate I'm going to be spending $500-700 for storage/office. I think storage is going to cost me around $140 monthly. small offices/1 person room rentals on craigslist seem to be around $600 a month. It would be nice to find a room rental that I could use for computer access, and where I can store everything I'm selling at.

I think if we live in a vehicle that doesn't give me any mechanical issues we could potentially save around $600-1000 monthly. within half a year we should be able to afford to move somewhere and get back on our feet. the plan would be this:

Me work in the office during the day, wife and kids spend their days at parks, beaches. we meet up at night and I'll make food via camp stove or something, and we sleep in the SUV. maybe me or the wife pickup a job at night, or during different days/hours. we save atleast 600-1000 monthly.

keeping my kids would be my concern, i think i'd convince some of the people we know to let us use their address for our mail & kids schools.

Option 2. - Renting out a cheap place out of state or out of country.

Mexico has tons of cheap rentals which I'm sure I could get into. the problem I see is I'd lose my sons social security benefits, and I'd have no transportation as my van wont make it across the border. With no transportation or his social security thats ZERO income. If I managed to get a vehicle that could get me back across the border, I'd be able to convince someone we know to let us use their address for social security and possibly keep recieving that $800. but moving out of country without a vehicle seems out of the question.

Also moving to a cheaper location. Arizona, and even inland towns in california like El Centro seem affordable, and I could probably find a rental. but again I'm without a vehicle, and that would be the biggest source of my income.

It would be nice to get a rental before the eviction goes on my record. Once it's on there I assume I'm doomed and can't imagine even finding a rental even if i did have the money. I assume I have 2-3 weeks after the court date before it appears on my record but I don't think finding a rental without transportation is a good idea.

Right now I feel the best option for my family is to buy the most reliable SUV possible. i'm not against Vans, but I feel like an SUV is more bigger. I think after getting a vehicle, I'd buy/resell through a storage/office, and possibly get another job. after doing that in a few months I'd consider moving to Mexico, saving, or buying an additional smaller economic vehicle for added income. I'd use it towards Uber, lyft, fuel efficent small deliveries, and not having to drive a gas hog of a suburban around 24/7.

there are homeless shelters that are hard to get into. but they don't accommodate our entire family. regardless if my wife can get in with two children or even 3 children, we still have 1 left out, and myself. I think atleast with a vehicle we can keep our stuff in storage(so it doesn't look like we are living in a vehicle), everyone has a place to sleep, we could have friends let us use their address for our mail, and any government agency interested in knowing where we live. and pull off sleeping in our suv each night. if any cops ask, we are vacationing/camping and saving on hotels.

So heres what I need from the homeless section.....

I need advice and all the help I can get.

I know my plan isn't ideal because I have children, but I am really against losing them and keeping them together is my priority.

I think food might be a factor. I know homeless shelters provide meals, and I am now receiving food stamps as of last month.($700), I can see that going a long way. but without a refrigerator, and a kitchen. I can see us eating a lot of junk food, and blowing through that. I need to find a way to budget our food stamps and ideas on types of foods to buy while being homeless.

Gas - driving to the store each day in a larger vehicle is probably going to cost me. I need ideas on activities my family could do thats cheap. right now beaches/parks seem like the best bet, but I'm sure after a few months of doing it daily, they are going to get tired of it. I need a list of free activities or maybe cheap memberships my families could look into getting to help them pass the day without a house.

Tips on vehicle buying. - I'm not the greatest when it comes to car inspections. any useful tips that will help me avoid buying a lemon would help me dramatically.

If you have questions, or ideas let me know...

ALSO: I tried searching for a commercial retail store that was zoned for residential use, and found nothing unfortunately. that would have been a great solution to have a roof over our head and not suffer without a vehicle as the store itself would provide income.

& my wife wants to start a youtube channel documenting my familys daily life being frugal while "vacationing/camping for months" hoping to add income from youtube views/subscribers.

quote:

[–]bcc_belieber 66 points 4 months ago

Why don't you get a job?

[–][deleted] -27 points 4 months ago

I was offered a few jobs recently. none of which help my situation immediately. I'm not oppose to working. I just need to figure out my living situation. At the moment I'm thinking of putting my money towards a vehicle rather than housing. using the vehicle for transportation and housing.

saving money, working, and then getting back on my feet and getting a rental eventually.

[–]bcc_belieber 65 points 4 months ago

How does getting a job not help your situation?

[–][deleted] -17 points 4 months ago

I can get a job, start working... Unfortunately, in 2 weeks I'm without a place to live. and I'm still in the same situation.

Goal #1 is sell off as much stuff in the house so when I move I have as much cash as possible.

If i'm spending my days right now working, I'm not selling/packing, and I've got a mess on my hands.

Getting a job after being evicted... helps me financially on payday... but I'm still stuck in the same position where I need shelter for my kids.

I do plan on figuring out ways to make the most money possible after securing a large SUV, or some sort of housing.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Digging in the most controversial r/pf posts provides some pretty good poo poo:

Me(29),Wife(30),Kids(3,4,12,13) Are going to be homeless in a few weeks. I need advice/help/input.

I hope anyone that stumbles across that YouTube channel makes a quick call to CPS.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Man I'm going through some rough poo poo in my life right now that's all being dumped on me in a short period of time, but my mood got better upon realizing I'm nowhere near "turning down job offers and living with a wife and four kids in an SUV" territory, gently caress

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I don't know how expensive the guy's SoCal area is, but if it's anywhere close to the cost of the bay area, it's possible that he needs to combine both strategies and send his family out of state while he lives in a homeless shelter while working (at least until he can find a job where his family is). We have a bunch of working homeless in my town, because $15-20 an hour isn't enough to even rent a studio, even putting aside bad rental / eviction records. The main regular behind the counter at our pizza place leaves his camping backpack outside the restaurant every day while he works, then takes it and heads back to the park where he lives at night. :(

Edit: "any rental place will require an extremely large deposit + first months rent. I estimate i'd need around $3,000 - $3,500 to rent a place in southern california. and atleast $2,500 anyplace else" - Yeah, nobody's going to rent to him unless he's turning $6K-9K a month in income at those rental prices. Standard I keep seeing in applications out here is either 200% Gross:Rent or 300% Gross:Rent, depending on the landlord/company.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 12, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do the math on those ages :stonk:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do the math on those ages :stonk:

So they had one kid at 16 and 17, and then a couple months after the birth they decided, you know what, let's tack on another one?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

metallicaeg posted:

Man I'm going through some rough poo poo in my life right now that's all being dumped on me in a short period of time, but my mood got better upon realizing I'm nowhere near "turning down job offers and living with a wife and four kids in an SUV" territory, gently caress

I feel a lot of sympathy for the guy. He's made some poor life choices to end up there, but to top it off he's in a part of the country where running entirely out of money means you're really hosed even if you have the ability to earn a decent salary.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Elysium posted:

So they had one kid at 16 and 17, and then a couple months after the birth they decided, you know what, let's tack on another one?
And then they shat out two more before 30, just for good measure.

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel a lot of sympathy for the guy. He's made some poor life choices to end up there, but to top it off he's in a part of the country where running entirely out of money means you're really hosed even if you have the ability to earn a decent salary.
That's true, but throughout the whole thing I kept thinking "this could have been avoided if you didn't impulsively ditch your businesses & move to a more expensive area because your house got robbed."

I could see moving to a new house or to a safer part of town/nearby town if wherever they lived was legitimately lovely. But destroying your big income stream to move to loving SoCal? And then just jumping from hustle to hustle instead of trying to establish a stable income again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

On second thought, nah.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 13, 2018