Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

If its basically the same as the tangerine funds, but in the ETF platform I'll probably start investing more in Questrade.

It is but a shitload cheaper. Do the questrade.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Dear stocks, stop going down.

TIA

A small price to pay if it means shithead republicans causing it will be turbofucked legally, politically, or guillotine-y :killing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Guest2553 posted:

It is but a shitload cheaper. Do the questrade.

Great, I don't mind smaller investments on questrade I just hated having to recalculate how much of each share I needed to buy to maintain my preferred ratio, especially when I was only able to normal toss in 200-400 a month. But now that I look at it there is no data since its so new, how would I know this would at least perform as well as my tangerine fund. Just fact that Vanguard is a pretty legit business and does good work with other ETF's besides this new fund?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

I mean I already have an account with Questrade, I rebalance every year with my Christmas bonus since penny packets investing doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't want to keep on recalculating to find out how much of each share I need. I also have tangerine mutual funds since it's basically just investing with no thinking when I was still in school.

If its basically the same as the tangerine funds, but in the ETF platform I'll probably start investing more in Questrade.

This runs as a read-only plug-in at Questrade and calculates your trades to bring you back to your target (but doesn't have access to actually execute them).

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

spoof posted:

This runs as a read-only plug-in at Questrade and calculates your trades to bring you back to your target (but doesn't have access to actually execute them).

Should have known, anytime you have a problem someone probably has figured out a solution to it.

Thanks!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

spoof posted:

Holy poo poo this is so useful! Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chillyrabbit posted:

But now that I look at it there is no data since its so new, how would I know this would at least perform as well as my tangerine fund. Just fact that Vanguard is a pretty legit business and does good work with other ETF's besides this new fund?

What historical data do you usually look at to pick ETFs?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TIA

Are you retired?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not anymore!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Subjunctive posted:

What historical data do you usually look at to pick ETFs?

I mean I would like it if the historical data shows that it at least matched my tangerine fund. Basically that it grows a decent amount.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chillyrabbit posted:

I mean I would like it if the historical data shows that it at least matched my tangerine fund. Basically that it grows a decent amount.

There’s no rush. Wait a year to see if it matches your other fund, then take the plunge if it looks good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think I could look at a year or two’s performance and decide if a fund was going to be successful, especially coming off this ridiculous bull run, but I am not a very sophisticated investor.

If you can pick based on short-term performance, please share analyses! I’m probably not the only one here who’s interested in such things.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

I trust Vanguard to have what they say they have in those ETFs. I'm not really in love with how over-represented Canadian equities are in those ETFs, but I'll probably still use these for my parent's investments, as I'm already averaging 0.19% MER for their portfolio's and .03% is definitely not worth my time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think I could look at a year or two’s performance and decide if a fund was going to be successful, especially coming off this ridiculous bull run, but I am not a very sophisticated investor.

If you can pick based on short-term performance, please share analyses! I’m probably not the only one here who’s interested in such things.

I was thinking along the lines of:

These new Vanguard funds claim to put X% in index A, Y% in index B, etc.
I’m interested but I’ll wait a year or two to make sure the fund tracks the indices it claims.
If it seems like the fund is working as advertised and I trust the fund provider not to bail on me, I’m in.

I’m not sure what the failure case is for Vanguard Canada funds. Seems like they can be run pretty cheaply so you don’t need a massive amount of funds under management, but what do I know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, ok, I thought the concern was fund performance, not truth in advertising. I’d never have thought to worry that they weren’t what they said they were.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

pokeyman posted:

I was thinking along the lines of:

These new Vanguard funds claim to put X% in index A, Y% in index B, etc.
I’m interested but I’ll wait a year or two to make sure the fund tracks the indices it claims.
If it seems like the fund is working as advertised and I trust the fund provider not to bail on me, I’m in.

I’m not sure what the failure case is for Vanguard Canada funds. Seems like they can be run pretty cheaply so you don’t need a massive amount of funds under management, but what do I know.

Hmm that's probably what I'm going to do, I already did my rebalancing with my Christmas bonus so I can wait until next year. Not like the fund is going to disappear and if it does I'm no worse off. I'll still be putting away $200-400 a month into my tangerine or maybe into my Questrade Portfolio after Spoof showed us the passiv trading app.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

runupon cracker posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, so please feel free to train me to the right one, but:

My mortgage term is up in six months, and I just got an automatic renewal "special offer" from my bank. I know that the automatic renewals are generally a bad deal, but in this case I think the system processed it before the most recent prime rate increase. One of the offers is for a 5-year closed fixed term at 3.51%, but what I'm reading seems to indicate that a 5-year closed variable term would be coming in around 3.45% right now. I'm thinking that the current trend makes further hikes in the next five years pretty likely.

Sooooo is that a decent offer, or should I try to beat 'em down?

Talk to a mortgage broker. You should be able to do better than that.
https://www.ratehub.ca/best-mortgage-rates/5-year/fixed

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

TIA

OTOH its RRSP top-up/portfolio rebalancing time so its a matter of just how low it will go before buying.

Yes yes don't try to time the market but seriously, I would like a good sale

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

"RRSP season" is such a goofy marketing scheme.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

pokeyman posted:

"RRSP season" is such a goofy marketing scheme.

Eh. One needs to rebalance annually (I contribute monthly as well), so its a good enough time as any.

Top up the contribution, do taxes, sink the refund proceeds into the mortgage principle, bring on May. Whatev.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fair, I wasn’t saying you specifically are Doing It Wrong. More a general whine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I wasn't disagreeing even, but think most of the Hallmark holidays are bigger marketing scams. Although I do love chocolate...

So today was market bloodbath, and the Nikkei is in free fall, so perhaps I'll wait out the rest of the week

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I'm pretty sure I'm about to get hosed in the rear end on taxes this year.

So I work two jobs, and I have told both of my employers that I work two jobs, and to tax me as if I have supplemental income.

Job a: I made 16k and had 3k taken off in taxes (fine and cool)

Job b: I made 24K and they only took off 1800 in taxes. (what the gently caress)

That in addition to the 1500 in tips I get to claim (which I will assumedly pay 30% marginal tax on) by my estimation means I will probably owe 2k this year. fffffuuuuuuuck

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo I'm pretty sure I'm about to get hosed in the rear end on taxes this year.

So I work two jobs, and I have told both of my employers that I work two jobs, and to tax me as if I have supplemental income.

Job a: I made 16k and had 3k taken off in taxes (fine and cool)

Job b: I made 24K and they only took off 1800 in taxes. (what the gently caress)

That in addition to the 1500 in tips I get to claim (which I will assumedly pay 30% marginal tax on) by my estimation means I will probably owe 2k this year. fffffuuuuuuuck

Your income is 41500, why do you think your marginal rate is 30%?

My estimate is you owe about 500 bucks, exactly depends on province, etc.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Whether you pay taxes by payroll or not the taxes remitted is the same, you’re just remitting at a different time. If you saved nothing you can work out a payment plan with them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jenkl posted:

Your income is 41500, why do you think your marginal rate is 30%?

My estimate is you owe about 500 bucks, exactly depends on province, etc.

In Quebec the marginal rate is nearly 30% at that point and he’ll owe more than 500$. Kinda depends where he is.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

In Quebec the marginal rate is nearly 30% at that point and he’ll owe more than 500$. Kinda depends where he is.

Alberta

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Try plugging your income into a tax calculator and estimating it.

That or start calculating your return on Turbotax or something, estimating if you don't have your tax forms yet.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
It's been 3 consecutive months now that TD keeps charging me monthly fees for my chequing account and not refunding them even though I always have the required fee-waiving minimum balance at the end of the month as per the service agreement.

I'm going to have to resolve this through their call centre, won't I? :suicide:

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? Is there some ultrafine print I'm missing? (ie: you can't have below minimum balance at any time, etc)

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Try plugging your income into a tax calculator and estimating it.

That or start calculating your return on Turbotax or something, estimating if you don't have your tax forms yet.

Yeah, rate in Alberta's 10%, putting you at 25% marginal rate net. You'll owe $375 on the tips, and probably another $800 on the rest, assuming your CPP and EI was deducted correctly and you have no other credits or income..

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, rate in Alberta's 10%, putting you at 25% marginal rate net. You'll owe $375 on the tips, and probably another $800 on the rest, assuming your CPP and EI was deducted correctly and you have no other credits or income..

Oh that's much more reassuring. I just plugged it into a thing online and it said I was supposed to have 8, 000 in total deductions taken off but I only had 6, 000 in total so I was pooping my pants.

Anyways, I'll have it taken to my accountant later today to settle. I still think my main job is under taxing me.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tipps posted:

It's been 3 consecutive months now that TD keeps charging me monthly fees for my chequing account and not refunding them even though I always have the required fee-waiving minimum balance at the end of the month as per the service agreement.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? Is there some ultrafine print I'm missing? (ie: you can't have below minimum balance at any time, etc)

Read the fine print again, I'm pretty sure the condition is that your account balance stays above the minimum for the entire period, not just the end of month, so if you've ever dipped below the min on any particular month you'll be dinged the account fee for that month.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Tipps posted:

You can only dip below if you fix it by the end of the day. If you end any day during the month below the required minimum, you get charged the fee.

It's right in the fine print:
https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/bank-accounts/chequing-accounts/

Just click on the 2 beside the fee for any account:
2 Minimum monthly balance indicated must be maintained at the end of each day in the month to qualify for the fee rebate.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 13, 2018

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Oh gently caress me then.

Thank you for the swift rear end-kicking.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mezzanon posted:

Oh that's much more reassuring. I just plugged it into a thing online and it said I was supposed to have 8, 000 in total deductions taken off but I only had 6, 000 in total so I was pooping my pants.

Anyways, I'll have it taken to my accountant later today to settle. I still think my main job is under taxing me.

I just looked up tax tables from the previous year, and yeah, at $24k, $1,800 total is about right. Still, getting their software (unless it's whatever online calculator I used during my one year of volunteering) to add an extra $50 every biweekly cheque shouldn't be too hard.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mojo1701a posted:

I just looked up tax tables from the previous year, and yeah, at $24k, $1,800 total is about right. Still, getting their software (unless it's whatever online calculator I used during my one year of volunteering) to add an extra $50 every biweekly cheque shouldn't be too hard.

That is 100% my plan going forward!

Edit: $351 owed, not as bad as I thought.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 13, 2018

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Jordan7hm posted:

Thank you, I knew the provinces varied I did not realize it was by that much.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Tipps posted:

Oh gently caress me then.

Thank you for the swift rear end-kicking.

Get a Tangerine account, never pay fees. Also get interest on your checking account :yaycloud:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Quick reminder to anyone who does everything all at once WRT fund rebalancing on TD EZweb: be careful, it resets the account where your mutual funds are to the first listed, so if you are balancing funds in two different accounts, like say RSP and TFSA, you run the risk of double paying one and nothing to the other if you aren't paying close attention.

Fortunately I caught this when it happened but having to reset your account to buy each fund it a pain and really stupid web design IMO.

OTOH, checking how things went this past year and not too shabby. I am so glad I found this thread, read 4 Pillars, and learned to not give a poo poo about how the markets are doing day to day.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Anyone know where I can find legacy bank of montreal plan documents? I was going over my yearly finances and noted that for 2016 and 2017 I've been paying a 10 dollar monthly plan fee despite being consistently double the minimum balance amount (3000). Strangely enough I seem to be with their 'plus plan' rather than 'premium plan' - which I used to be...

Stupid on my part not noticing this earlier, wondering what sort of argument / documentation I should arm myself with prior to a visit...

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Bilirubin posted:

Get a Tangerine account, never pay fees. Also get interest on your checking account :yaycloud:

I live in Iqaluit, and the only way in or out is by plane to Ottawa, at around 2500$ round trip.

At least until next year when Aeroplan goes bust, using TD's Aeroplan visa card on literally everything, including 2x points for groceries and gas, allows us to fly out for free 4 to 6 times a year (~10-15k worth of flights).

The all-inclusive chequing account waives/refunds the annual fee for the card (130$ or something). So assuming I can keep the minimum balance and not keep getting dinged fees, I come out ahead.

It's also a lot more convenient for everything to be in one place now (including the the self-directed investments I already had), since banking options locally are very limited, and relaying everything through southern branches sucks. If I had Aeroplan points for every time I had to explain to a call centre drone that, no, we don't have street addresses up here, I would have another free flight or two.

The joys of living in the north. :unsmith: