Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Eh, the real GM Superman is All-Star.

I 100% agree but that's absolutely not the counter-cultural leftist Superman he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ain't dat de troot', sho'nuff

It's halfway to Jar Jar Binks :allears:

Billy Crystal as Gambit

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I'm working on something and I'm trying to find a specific interview with Zack Snyder. He says something along the lines of about how a lot of his movies work on a couple different levels, one of them being reminding the audience that they are watching a movie. I'm pretty sure it was a video interview. Does anyone remember anything like that and what movie he might have been promoting at the time?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Grant Morrison absolutely flopped his Superman, unfortunately. He was a counter-cultural figure for about 5 minutes before Grant's Time Travel Ur-Plot took over.

Five minutes is pretty accurate. I think it was as early as the second issue? I might not have lasted long anyway because of that Rags Morales art.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's nothing compared to Snyder's Superman!

Kal from the house of Crassus

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

I'm working on something and I'm trying to find a specific interview with Zack Snyder. He says something along the lines of about how a lot of his movies work on a couple different levels, one of them being reminding the audience that they are watching a movie. I'm pretty sure it was a video interview. Does anyone remember anything like that and what movie he might have been promoting at the time?

Best I could find was this:

quote:

“I truly like movies that are self-aware, and that are constantly reminding me that they’re movies while immersing me deeper into them,” Zack Snyder told FilmInk. “Every part of the movie is an illusion…every single part. It’s fun for me to play with the icons and the visual language of movies to make people buy into these worlds.”

Which sounds like it was actually said at a roundtable interview. He said it in the lead-up to BvS.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Best I could find was this:

I think that's it. Thanks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxquS8JYUuY

I want to see the movie that scene was from :smith:
And it has the Zimmer score. :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

1) Brian Michael Bendis (who is currently writing for DC after leaving Marvel) and Deadpool director Tim Miller is teaming up for an X-Men movie codenamed "143". No other information is provided, although Miller was earlier reported to be planning a Kitty Pryde movie and X-Men #143 is a comic featuring the character going against a demon.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/x-men-tim-miller-brian-michael-bendis-143-fox-deadpool-jessica-jones-1202286967/

2) In other news, Mary J Blige is going to play time-travelling assassin Cha-Cha in the Netflix adaptation of The Umbrella Academy.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/411813-mary-j-blige-joins-netflixs-the-umbrella-academy

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ugggghhhhh, have to wait until April next year for the movie.

While doing that, enjoy this really "grimdark" (as the kids say it) version of Shazam from the 1940s. He's pretty merciless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9m8SHpCLk

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Someone should just adapt Fletcher Hanks' Stardust

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

1) Brian Michael Bendis (who is currently writing for DC after leaving Marvel) and Deadpool director Tim Miller is teaming up for an X-Men movie codenamed "143". No other information is provided, although Miller was earlier reported to be planning a Kitty Pryde movie and X-Men #143 is a comic featuring the character going against a demon.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/x-men-tim-miller-brian-michael-bendis-143-fox-deadpool-jessica-jones-1202286967/

#143 is also the issue immediately after Days of Future Past, if I remember right.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And nobody argues Favreau is a secret objectivist - or that Favreau has an ideology at all.

As usual, people don’t actually know why they like or dislike things. What fans are reacting against is not even the figure of Snyder (as despotic jouisseur) but, even more basically, the absence of aesthetic neutralism.

It’s almost remarkable how the Iron Man movies make his constant murder so unthrilling, even though he’s killed like 80,000 people. It’s decaf murder.

It's almost a commentary on how murder ceases to register once it's done via machinery

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Battle Angel Alita and The Predator have been pushed back.

quote:

Originally announced for a July 20 release, the Robert Rodriguez-directed Alita has been pushed back five months to December 21. That puts the film in head-to-head competition with Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Holmes & Watson.

Shane Black's The Predator rebooth has been pushed back a relatively mild six weeks, moving from August 3 to September 14. The other major films releasing that week are Alpha, The Darkest Minds, and Fighting With My Family.

https://www.newsarama.com/38606-alita-battle-angel-and-the-predator-pushed-back-on-schedule.html

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hold the phone, they're doing a Holmes and Watson movie where Will Ferrel and John C Reilly play the titular characters? Sign me the gently caress up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You have six loving months to make those eyes normal damnit! The studio can't afford another flop!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You have six loving months to make those eyes normal damnit! The studio can't afford another flop!

I just about guarantee you this is what's going on

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hold the phone, they're doing a Holmes and Watson movie where Will Ferrel and John C Reilly play the titular characters? Sign me the gently caress up.

It already sound so good - I hope it's just Step Brothers but they are a tad bit smarter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem is they can't make the eyes smaller, underneath is where Henry Cavill mustache ended up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The problem is they can't make the eyes smaller, underneath is where Henry Cavill mustache ended up.

The deepfakes AI training are making huge strides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ3W1W20bk

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator gonna be released closer to my birthday. :yeah:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

It already sound so good - I hope it's just Step Brothers but they are a tad bit smarter in Victorian England.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know which would be funnier, bad fake British accents or being as American sounding as possible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The dad from step Brothers should be Moriarty and his girlfriend should be Mary Steenburgen

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mastershakeman posted:

It's almost a commentary on how murder ceases to register once it's done via machinery

It can’t cease registering if it never did in the first place.

It’s not a question of violence done via machinery; it’s a question of violence within virtual reality. The ‘solution’ to the mask problem - cutting repeatedly to Robert Downey in close-up for clever dialogue - evokes Twitch streaming.

That’s why I use the term ‘neutralism’ instead of ‘realism’ or ‘naturalism’: although you do often get those pretenses in fan response, the overriding point is that the Iron Man films provide a realistic simulation - and the characters’ responses are natural within the context of a simulation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

It can’t cease registering if it never did in the first place.

It’s not a question of violence done via machinery; it’s a question of violence within virtual reality. The ‘solution’ to the mask problem - cutting repeatedly to Robert Downey in close-up for clever dialogue - evokes Twitch streaming.

That’s why I use the term ‘neutralism’ instead of ‘realism’ or ‘naturalism’: although you do often get those pretenses in fan response, the overriding point is that the Iron Man films provide a realistic simulation - and the characters’ responses are natural within the context of a simulation.

Fortunately, the first film established that friendly NPCs are immune to Iron Man's attacks. Only dangerous characters like the Scarlet Witch are expert mode PCs who lack this feature.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The ‘solution’ to the mask problem - cutting repeatedly to Robert Downey in close-up for clever dialogue - evokes Twitch streaming.

They really got their hands on the zeitgeist because Twitch didn't exist when they shot Iron Man 1. It was still justin.tv and had just launched during principal photography.

(I'm not being sarcastic, btw, I really do mean that Iron Man 1 got the aesthetics of twitch gaming down 3 years before Twitch existed and I think you're right to recognize that)

Honestly all new Iron Man scenes should have RDJ's face in the lower right corner reacting to what he's doing. Make it official.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have Black Widow in the suit but she takes up 3/4 of the frame in a low cut top while the suit action is in a little window in the corner. She quips to support her on patreon.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
IDK if you know this but in the Ultimate comics that sorta happened---Tony fell in love with Black Widow, married her, and made her a suit of her own; it then turned out she really was a Russian spy all along and she disabled the Avengers and nearly succeeded in leading a Russian/European invasion of the US.

Anyway if this was the plot of Avengers III it'd no doubt be more interesting than what we're getting.

It was very winky and meta even then because Black Widow (and Hawkeye!) actually were first introduced as Iron Man enemies back in the 60s.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was that the storyline where they accidentally leaked a sex tape of themselves or something? Incredible secret agent work.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Should have hired the Blade III people.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Oh yeah haha I forgot that part---somehow Tony's security system being hacked causes a sex tape he made with Black Widow (with professional editing!) to air on all the screens. Stay classy Mark Millar.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

iirc the sex tape thing was in ultimates 3, which had a different writer

ultimates 3 also brought up that scarlet witch and quicksilver were banging and the wasp admonishes old time-y cap for being so prudish about incest

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lmao oh comics

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Brother Entropy posted:

ultimates 3 also brought up that scarlet witch and quicksilver were banging and the wasp admonishes old time-y cap for being so prudish about incest

lit. Wolverine: "I like to watch"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

man this summer is gonna be really lame.

Avengers
Deadpool
Solo
Ocean's 8
Incredibles 2
Jurassic World
Ant Man
Hotel Transylvania
Mamma Mia
Mission Impossible
and the usual bunch of leftovers in August

there's maybe a couple of movies in this list that have the capacity to excite me, the rest I have little to no faith in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The deepfakes AI training are making huge strides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZ3W1W20bk

One of the saddest videos I've ever seen. Why would you want to deprive the world of such a glorious thing?

Also :lol: at how much WB must be kicking itself right now for adding millions to JL's budget for such a lovely result.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Can't wait for three of those movies to be big hits and the rest to wallow in mediocre returns, leading to the revitalization of the "is Hollywood reaching the end of its rope?/are theaters doomed to extinction?/Why can't every company just act like Disney?" thinkpieces.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DC Murderverse posted:

man this summer is gonna be really lame.

Avengers
Deadpool
Solo
Ocean's 8
Incredibles 2
Jurassic World
Ant Man
Hotel Transylvania
Mamma Mia
Mission Impossible
and the usual bunch of leftovers in August

there's maybe a couple of movies in this list that have the capacity to excite me, the rest I have little to no faith in.

TFW Mission Impossible [6? 7?] is the most interesting thing on that list :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should have Black Widow in the suit but she takes up 3/4 of the frame in a low cut top while the suit action is in a little window in the corner. She quips to support her on patreon.

Perceiving the cynicism in this pitch, your regular-Joe internet misogynist nonetheless flat refuses to reflect on what has been designed to appeal to him in the non-low-cut-top popular Twitch streams.