Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

redeyes posted:

Im sure no one cares at this point but i got the opportunity to test a RX580 vs a GTX 1070 founders edition. The 1070 is so much faster its insane, not to mention quieter, cooler running, AND a lot less buggy.

AMD gfx are dead to me.

All hail our nvidia overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Really hoping they keep soldering the ryzen+
Historically only "top end" APUs are soldered, so if they come out with a Ryzen 5/7 2x00XG those will likely be soldered.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Paul MaudDib posted:

realtime CPU encoding will put the hurt even on something as powerful as a 1700.

I can speak from personal experience here. GPU > CPU for real time compression, even using a capture card and playing on a console. My R7 1700 doesn't even come close.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I still think the output of my 270X looks subpar compared to software encoding, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia come up with a superior way to encode at 3,500 and 6,000 kbps, especially with all the algos madshi is cranking out.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Can raven ridge stream Netflix 4k?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

I still think the output of my 270X looks subpar compared to software encoding, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia come up with a superior way to encode at 3,500 and 6,000 kbps, especially with all the algos madshi is cranking out.

270X is GCN 1.0 (Pitcairn), the newer cards have better quality at a given bitrate. Kepler is pretty rough too.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Can raven ridge stream Netflix 4k?

Look up my previous post please

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redeyes posted:

Im sure no one cares at this point but i got the opportunity to test a RX580 vs a GTX 1070 founders edition. The 1070 is so much faster its insane, not to mention quieter, cooler running, AND a lot less buggy.

AMD gfx are dead to me.

Isn't the 580 positioned against the 1060?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

sauer kraut posted:

Look up my previous post please

So, no.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ufarn posted:

I've streamed MK8D at 6mbps (pretty much the max I can spare out of my 10mbps upload), with my 1700 and my 1060, and the difference is stark.
Even with no overhead except Windows and the streaming software, a CPU isn't as good.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
That's the opposite of basically every other piece of data and anecdote available on the internet re x264 vs gpu encoding though...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Assuming Twitch hasn't deleted it, I have video proof.
Don't get me wrong, I heard the same thing; I tried my cpu first. Just wasn't as smooth or as clean.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 12, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

You'd probably be better of if you just got a Nvidia Shield, Apple TV 4k, Roku Ultra or similar streambox.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Assuming Twitch hasn't deleted it, I have video proof.
Don't get me wrong, I heard the same thing; I tried my cpu first. Just wasn't as smooth or as clean.

Did you tune the settings on the CPU encoder or just leave it on veryveryveryveryveryfast

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I attempted to emphasize quality with every setting, since I was capturing footage from a console.

And because artifacts are the Devil's pixel.

Is it possible the capture card itself prefers a GPU (Avermedia)?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

with a capture card you're not using the gpu at all to do things other than put a flat texture on the overlay and encode so it's probably actually using real amounts of resources to encode in that case

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well it lets me choose which I want to encode with. :shrug:

I can do a test run tonight if you want. I'll try to get screencaps.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 13, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't the 580 positioned against the 1060?

I was just testing cards I could get my hands on. Not like AMD has anything else you can buy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Seems like the 2400G is a winner with the general populace:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are the 2200G and 2400G APUs overclockable and if so by how much?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spasticColon posted:

Yes, and not much according to Linus. They only got to 3.8ghz all core on the 2400G, which is less than its stock 1 core turbo speed. I imagine this might get better with better bios.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Cygni posted:

Yes, and not much according to Linus.

Not even with a very beefy aftermarket cooler? Bummer.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spasticColon posted:

Yes, and from what I've seen the review samples are hitting around 4.0?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the biggest problems are that it's not soldered (which is basically the case for every non-K/maybe X APU) and the graphics itself takes a nice chunk of the power and thermal budget as well.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't really care about the Raven Ridge on desktop but will jump on the laptop version if the stars align aka OEMs not loving up on AMD offerings.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

ufarn posted:

How many cores do you need before you're just being ridiculous? Big games only use up to 6 cores, and how many can OBS use for software encoding? I imagine there aren't any benchmarks where people "turn off" cores and compare but it'd be fun to see 6C vs 8C vs 12C.
a 2008 post from x264 lead dev says

Dark Shikari posted:

You generally don't want (vertical resolution of video) / (threads) to be lower than 40-50, and definitely not lower than ~30. You can afford to let this number be a bit lower (maybe 25-50% lower) if you use B-frames.

Its more of a problem in VBV mode than not.
so x264 at least should work fine with 8c16t for itself on 720p content and 12c24t on 1080p

edit: just remembered that x264 doesn't do 1:1 threads/logical cores but you get the idea

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

spasticColon posted:

The CPU side struggles a bit with 4.0Ghz on a lot of review samples, but the GPU seems capable of hitting 1.6Ghz with 1.3v based on Hardware Unboxed. I've seen some reviewers unable to push the iGPU much past 1.35Ghz and am super confused by that. At 1.6Ghz/CL14 3200Mhz DDR4, Vega 11 will compete with the RX 550 at 720p handily but falls behind @ 1080p because of bottlenecking. I'd suggest a Cryorig C7 or H7 for any overclocking on Raven Ridge.

I can't wait for 7nm Raven successor, maybe 14CUs, 4C/8T, DDR4 4000 support and improved color compression. Maybe HBM2 won't be ruinously expensive by then and they can add it to an R7 variant @ 220$.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

spasticColon posted:

Not even with a very beefy aftermarket cooler? Bummer.

They're pasted like modern Intel. I saw at least one remark of "can't wait for the delidding videos". Presumably they're thinking if you really care about OC you shouldn't get an APU.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Craptacular! posted:

They're pasted like modern Intel. I saw at least one remark of "can't wait for the delidding videos". Presumably they're thinking if you really care about OC you shouldn't get an APU.

Speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtiiu7m6V4M

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

https://youtu.be/FntY5rYR4cE

The Hardware Unboxed review really is the most comprehensive one I've seen today. Really interesting.

Really can't wait for their overclocking videos. The Fortnite result was interesting, but getting nearly 30% extra out of each GPU has me salivating.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Has anyone explored the least important question of them all: buttcoins

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the Steves are all right

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malloc Voidstar posted:

a 2008 post from x264 lead dev says
so x264 at least should work fine with 8c16t for itself on 720p content and 12c24t on 1080p

edit: just remembered that x264 doesn't do 1:1 threads/logical cores but you get the idea

is that a "maximum number of threads that x264 will use" or is that a performance recommendation? I'm guessing the former but it's unclear at what settings, because if you up the preset then you can pretty much generate an arbitrary amount of work. I'd guess that searching for optimal video encoding with b-frames and poo poo is pretty much NP-complete - it's worth going a reasonable way down the rabbithole (veryslow/slowest) but boy howdy can you waste some CPU time if you want to go from 99.9% to 100% optimal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 13, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

Has anyone explored the least important question of them all: buttcoins
newegg is selling the APUs at a 30 dollar markup for this reason :laffo:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it lives!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....Not sure if memeing, or genuine mistake. Also, source?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntY5rYR4cE

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

newegg is selling the APUs at a 30 dollar markup for this reason :laffo:

Why would buttcoin miners buy these APUs? Pentiums and Celerons are still cheaper if they need cheap CPUs for their mining rigs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

spasticColon posted:

Why would buttcoin miners buy these APUs? Pentiums and Celerons are still cheaper if they need cheap CPUs for their mining rigs.

Because an APU has a decent built in GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Xae posted:

Because an APU has a decent built in GPU.

But discreet GPUs would still be a lot better for buttcoin mining. 704 SPs at 1250MHz on slower DDR4 RAM ain't going to mine a bunch of buttcoins like a dedicated video card would.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2018