Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Im pretty sure doof warrior has a double neck

Technically a '74 SG and a early 2010s Les Paul.

Cool thing about the Doof Warrior theme is that every speaker in the theater would be playing a different take to keep things gnarly and gross.

Also JunkieXL can't play guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPZzCmdFtE

But that's wrong thread.

Movie Soundtracks, though, that's some stupid music poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

By the way, if you look at the temporary soundtrack used for Star Wars, it's basically a list of the music John Williams gets accused of ripping off for the Star Wars music.

edit: Followup to that other one, is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

That video reminds me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rBMb2oijyo&t=471s

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
stoner rock like kyuss and audioslave

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If they dialed back the steampunk bullshit I would be really into this. I like the majesty shape a lot.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
i have so many questions

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Gringostar posted:

i have so many questions

Well they definitely look like they have a lot of improvements to make.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm building an HM-2 clone and made a quick demo video. I'm so poo poo at playing and my knowledge of actual death metal riffs is so bad that this is what happened:

(Yea, I'm calling it "HM-Too Many Chainsaws")

https://vimeo.com/255499165

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Hey nice, I just pulled the trigger on a set of those boards today. I find HM2s really like being run into a high gain tube amp and used more as a tone filter. Crank L and H, gain/vol to taste, use your amp's high and presence controls to control the crazy high end. Also do some palm mute chugs and tremolo picking :whatup:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Concatenation posted:

Hey nice, I just pulled the trigger on a set of those boards today. I find HM2s really like being run into a high gain tube amp and used more as a tone filter. Crank L and H, gain/vol to taste, use your amp's high and presence controls to control the crazy high end. Also do some palm mute chugs and tremolo picking :whatup:

Yea pretty much. The thing with HM-2 is the eq gyrators which are nearly tuned to a fifth chord. When you overdo them with the right op-amps (I found 4558s sound best vs tl072s, 5532s, etc.) poo poo gets heavy and nasty af.

edit: if you mean you pulled the trigger on Tony's boards then yea you're gonna love life. This is the bare-bones 4-knob version but there's plenty of fuckery to be had with what he has to offer:

https://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/browse/PepersPedals

I'm embarrassed to do some entombed/dismember poo poo. When you get your boards and do the builds please post demos so I don't feel so ashamed. :(

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 13, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Send me your pedals and I’ll do demos for you :bigtran:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

welp, I guess Leo had well and truly lost the plot by the 70s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chrpno posted:

The metal guard for the controls is dumb, but everything else is rad.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Wark Say posted:

The metal guard for the controls is dumb, but everything else is rad.

I dunno... the headstock looks so "Ibanez lawsuit" and the pickguard looks like it was cut out with scissors

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no doubt, the final result kinda looks flimsy as poo poo, but I would actually see myself buying a lefty version of this if well-built.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Chrpno posted:

To be fair, big ugly control panels were apparently the thing to do at the time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

donut posted:

To be fair, big ugly control panels were apparently the thing to do at the time.

I hate this

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
i love it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I kind of love it in a 70s pubic hair and Schlitz beer sort of way.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Send me your pedals and I’ll do demos for you :bigtran:

When I build a batch of my first original circuit you'll be the first to get a tester. :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

When I build a batch of my first original circuit you'll be the first to get a tester. :D

I was half joking around BUT I’ll be doing some YouTube stuff very soon. Some goofy playthroughs and demos so yeah I’d love that. I’ll give it a proper demoing. Can be a loaner too I don’t wanna steal pedals for free <333

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

How much for a zero aesthetics bare metal HM2 clone?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Happy Vai-lentines day

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I should have thought of this. drat. :golfclap:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Article 1

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-reports-company-is-running-out-of-time-rapidly-to-resolve-debt-issues-says-financial-expert

Article 2

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-nods...B&utm_source=FB

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I like the black and blue one.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The black and blue one isn't bad, but the rest of them...yikes.

Gotta love how Gibson is in hundreds of millions in debt in a market flooded with good, low budget guitars and thinks the best way to get out of it is with a couple lines of extremely expensive throwbacks designed to appeal to a quickly fading fanbase of aging boomers.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

OutOfPrint posted:

The black and blue one isn't bad, but the rest of them...yikes.

Gotta love how Gibson is in hundreds of millions in debt in a market flooded with good, low budget guitars and thinks the best way to get out of it is with a couple lines of extremely expensive throwbacks designed to appeal to a quickly fading fanbase of aging boomers.

Or better yet, their attempts at innovative designs are priced for the boomers who don't want them, instead of making relatively cheap experimental designs for people looking for something new.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Full disclosure I’d probably buy one if it was an epiphone but 5 grand can gently caress the gently caress right off.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
FYI if you guys have a decent medical school nearby you can sign up for a free hearing test by volunteering to be a test subject for research projects.

I'm honestly surprised at the results because I thought I've obliterated my ears over the years from music and work but apparently my adamant necessity to use earplugs has paid off.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

massive spider posted:

Full disclosure I’d probably buy one if it was an epiphone but 5 grand can gently caress the gently caress right off.

I love that '70's dirtbag'-vibe in a guitar, but I have a feeling that Gibson's core-customers don't.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No airbrushed wizard, 0/10.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Gibson is Trump and vice versa. One after another career-ending scandal and disaster, and still king poo poo.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

This could kind of work for the right performer:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/Hummingbird-Techno-Pink.aspx

This is genuinely upsetting though:
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/J-45-Neon-Green.aspx

e: lol, they both cost less than the shaggin-van guitars

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

AlphaDog posted:

No airbrushed wizard, 0/10.

i would play the gently caress out of the "death is certain wizard" guitar no matter how much gibson sold it for

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
$5 grand is like the upper ceiling price you’d pay for an entirely custom made guitar that is personally tailored for you after months of iterative design and testing, where you then personally get to choose every piece of wood and component, and it’s like the last guitar you ever plan to play, and then just before you die, you ceremoniously bestow upon an heir.

A company with notoriously poo poo QC asking $5k for a goddamn gimmick side guitar off the rack is Dr. Evil ransom level retarded.

The designs are kinda cool though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

$5 grand is like the upper ceiling price you’d pay for an entirely custom made guitar that is personally tailored for you after months of iterative design and testing, where you then personally get to choose every piece of wood and component, and it’s like the last guitar you ever plan to play, and then just before you die, you ceremoniously bestow upon an heir.

A company with notoriously poo poo QC asking $5k for a goddamn gimmick side guitar off the rack is Dr. Evil ransom level retarded.

The designs are kinda cool though.
I paid $800 for a Korean-made Lefty PRS back in december and this is gonna read Peak-Stupid-Music-poo poo, but I might honestly consider saving up for one of them Maryland-made because HOLY poo poo my hands are like "RIGHT HERE. RIGHT HERE MOTHERFUCKER IS YOUR STANDARD TUNING GUITAR :dance:"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
$1500 is the max limit on a guitar I would buy even if I had unlimited money. That's the price point where stuff goes from "more money gets parts of higher quality" to "more money means more tacky bullshit cosmetic things"

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Spanish Manlove posted:

FYI if you guys have a decent medical school nearby you can sign up for a free hearing test by volunteering to be a test subject for research projects.

I'm honestly surprised at the results because I thought I've obliterated my ears over the years from music and work but apparently my adamant necessity to use earplugs has paid off.

Yeah, that's well in the normal range. Also note that test retest reliability is +/- 5 dB. So if you do a hearing assessment don't scamper off to your EQ and try to match it. Nevermind that it's a test of threshold (the softest you can hear) and most people don't listen to music at the level of threshold and hearing scales in intensity/volume weirdly.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
love too be a 50 year old man calling people sjw faggots on youtube for questioning my decision to make fun of another goober for being fat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nlydWjmgE

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292441405606

I must admit that the inlays are well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino