Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

There is a huge difference between "go on a mission where different things happen and it takes 20 minutes to do" and "fight one solitary thing for 20 minutes".

But there kind of isn't? You're not just in combat that whole time. When the monster flees it's an opportunity to regather supplies, track it down, maybe even get some more info that will be useful later. It behaves differently through different stages of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Calaveron posted:

I remember reading about it like, months after the game's release on the Gamecube

Yup same. It wasn't exactly a secret but since the game didn't tell you or promote it, you only learned about it from dev interviews.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

But there kind of isn't? You're not just in combat that whole time. When the monster flees it's an opportunity to regather supplies, track it down, maybe even get some more info that will be useful later. It behaves differently through different stages of the fight.

Do they really? The poison bird kept puking poison on me the entire 20 minutes, the fire breathing t rex kept breathing fire and leaping at me, the electric squirrel kept leaping from trees and shocking me, the marine dinosaur kept swimming in water and leaping at me. The only thing that changed it up was once per fight there would be a bigger monster that would appear, attack my target then gently caress off.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Vic posted:

Yup same. It wasn't exactly a secret but since the game didn't tell you or promote it, you only learned about it from dev interviews.

I remember reading how it was designed to give you enough ammo depending on skill and play style in magazines when it was released as well, but it certainly was more subtle than the dynamic difficulty in God hand.

More games should mimic God hand

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vic posted:

You're right. For content: Dark Souls 1, the bed of chaos is a bullshit try/fail boss fight that's not improved in subsequent playthroughs.

It's very bad. For example, this recent playthrough is the first time I ever beat it without dying entirely on sheer luck. I ran to the left, stabbed a tree. Ran to the right, stabbed a tree. The whole time it did loving nothing. For the first time, across however many playthroughs. The boss did loving nothing but make fire appear behind me. Every other time it spends the fight slapping me into death pits! Then I just walked off the ledge onto a root and killed the boss because, again. It didn't spend the last phase of the fight non-stop slapping. Why? I'll never know. First time this has ever happened and I'm still bewildered. I have never beaten bed of chaos without taking damage or dying before. And it had absolutely zero to do with any skill or tactics on my end and everything to do with the boss forgetting it had hands.

For extra content; Absolutely gently caress anyone who says tail weapons were a good idea and should have come back for dark souls two and three. Most of them were garbage and the only three that weren't, were nightmares to actually get because Kalameet only has his tail in range for two attacks and only like the last fifth of his tail is actually cuttable while Seath just has his tail hidden outside of wall geometry the whole time and it takes so much damage to cut it off you're likely to kill him instead of cut it. If you don't cut Priscilla's off in a single hit before the fight starts then good luck getting it at all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VanguardFelix posted:

I’m not sure if MHW is my cup of tea either as my first foray in the series, but one huge complaint: No scaling options for the UI or the in game text (unless I’m more blind than I already thought) and it is too small for me to comfortably read from where my couch is.

Am I aging out of video games?! :negative:
I see this poo poo constantly in PS4 games, it's just incredibly bad design. I don't know when it started happening but it's made poo poo unplayable. I hate it so much. It's my single biggest video game issue.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Are they just assuming bigger TVs now? Trying to get everyone on the 4k train?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I remember for the longest time having to just throw up my hands of knowing what the hell was going in in Dead Rising before I finally got something better than an old 20 inch box tv

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless posted:

I see this poo poo constantly in PS4 games, it's just incredibly bad design. I don't know when it started happening but it's made poo poo unplayable. I hate it so much. It's my single biggest video game issue.

Big TVs became much cheaper around 2011 continuing the trend. So the couch-tv distances didnt change only the tvs got bigger.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Leal posted:

Do they really? The poison bird kept puking poison on me the entire 20 minutes, the fire breathing t rex kept breathing fire and leaping at me, the electric squirrel kept leaping from trees and shocking me, the marine dinosaur kept swimming in water and leaping at me. The only thing that changed it up was once per fight there would be a bigger monster that would appear, attack my target then gently caress off.

Maybe not every monster is so inclined, but I just watched a stream where two guys fought one dragon monster and it went through four stages, changing rooms, frequency of certain attacks, and even triggering environmental hazards they could use to their advantage to stun or damage it. Seemed pretty cool, and also showed how big a difference landing a good hit in the right place could be, like hitting with a sword strike for 7 damage on one body part only to hit with a charged axe blow to another body part for a combined 180.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

World Famous W posted:

No, that poo poo is tiny.

I'm annoyed that I can't decide which is more fun, big rear end sword or bug spear, and have to keep changing them up.

Neither. If you ain't using hunting horn, you ain't livin'. :colbert:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

There is a huge difference between "go on a mission where different things happen and it takes 20 minutes to do" and "fight one solitary thing for 20 minutes".

It's explicitly a game about fighting boss enemies start to finish so I'm not sure what else you're expecting. but everything said above about fights moving and changing to give you breaks is true, and it's kind of weird if you're not experiencing that. normally monsters change zones 2-4 times a hunt for me, and they always leave to limp back to their nest once they're at 20% unless you really shut them down. I've only rarely had them spend longer than 6 minutes in one place.

It seems to be affected by how much damage you do but also the monster in question. If you're fighting jyratodus in its home turf swamp, it's going to want to stay there where it has mud to roll in. If kulu gets a rock he suddenly thinks he is the baddest motherfucker around and will actively go try to beat the poo poo out of monsters five times his size like anjanath, but if he loses the rock he runs when they attack. Tzitzi is a huge grieflord who thinks he can take you on but not other monsters, so if anything else shows up he just flashbangs them with a selfie and then saunters away while everyone is stunned.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Things dragging world down: For a game that added about 15 years worth of overdue quality of life, they didn't pay much attention to QoL for the online system, short of letting you join quests in progress now (which is admittedly a huge improvement).

Squads have a tiny cap of 50 players, which encourages people to join multiple squads and thin out the population of any given squad session, perpetuating the problem. The only people who can invite to squads are squad leaders, and the only way to do it is to get the squad leader and the invitee in the same session via a session ID which is a random jumble of characters you have to input perfectly. There is 0 reason to ever go to the gathering hub except to post arena quests because you load in on the opposite side of the city from it, it's behind a 20-second load screen, and it doesn't have 75% of the features you need to use after a hunt. This means you'll hardly ever see other players between hunts.

Needing an SOS flare to make your expedition public is weird. Needing an SOS flare to let your quest be joined by people outside of your session is weird. Dividing quest money between players so you get pennies in a 4-person group is bad. The 4-step choreographed dance you have to do to play story quests together is weird and bad. Squad sessions are buggy and don't always put you in a session where the other players in your squad actually are. So multiplayer's hella fun but there are way too many reasons not to do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

World's my first Monster Hunter and it's stunning that this is the LESS janky version.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

World's my first Monster Hunter and it's stunning that this is the LESS janky version.

You have no idea. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to an older game. The biggest ones that stick out to me:

Change equipment during a hunt
Use your item box during a hunt
Being able to eat during a hunt
Downgrading weapons
That little beastiary that fills out while you murder monsters showing what can break and where they're weak
Seeing the complete weapon tree
Having real actual shooter controls for the guns instead of whatever the gently caress they were before

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

World looks like fun but I watched lps of the older games and those really do come across as games for broke brains because of all the grinding and janky controls.

It would be cool if it controlled like a more deliberate real time Dragon's Dogma. Really I just want another Dragon's Dogma.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Len posted:

You have no idea. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to an older game. The biggest ones that stick out to me:

Change equipment during a hunt
Use your item box during a hunt
Being able to eat during a hunt
Downgrading weapons
That little beastiary that fills out while you murder monsters showing what can break and where they're weak
Seeing the complete weapon tree
Having real actual shooter controls for the guns instead of whatever the gently caress they were before

You forgot:
Being able to use a potion without doing an entire 30 second song and dance routine

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The one thing MHW doesn't have over the older games is that the monster designs in the older games was more insane.
Like sure MHW has a cool tyrannosaurus rex that is essentially a vulture with a scary nose ridge and dorsal fins that pop out when it's mad
But the previous game had a dragon with literal jetstream wings that could also shoot lasers out of them, a tyrannosaurus that had a sword for a tail that could also be used as flint to make it shoot fire slashes and a praying mantis monster that could use its webbing to build and control a gigantic dragon mecha

Bazelgeuse is the only monster that sort of approaches that insanity being a literal B-52 bomber but it's just one out of many

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FactsAreUseless posted:

This prevented me from playing The Escapists 2 on a 40 inch TV, I couldn't read poo poo, it could have been a dating sim for all I knew.
Then I got a 70 inch TV and can now see it but still suck at it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

The one thing MHW doesn't have over the older games is that the monster designs in the older games was more insane.
Like sure MHW has a cool tyrannosaurus rex that is essentially a vulture with a scary nose ridge and dorsal fins that pop out when it's mad
But the previous game had a dragon with literal jetstream wings that could also shoot lasers out of them, a tyrannosaurus that had a sword for a tail that could also be used as flint to make it shoot fire slashes and a praying mantis monster that could use its webbing to build and control a gigantic dragon mecha

Bazelgeuse is the only monster that sort of approaches that insanity being a literal B-52 bomber but it's just one out of many

That's what dlc is for! Please don't let me down Capcom.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
In general I feel like the art direction and animations are much stronger in the previous two games, since they were portable only so they had to do more legwork so stuff would pop out more out of the screen
Like for instance whenever your hunter spun to attack little puffs of dirt would twist around with them giving the animation a lot more dynamism, and explosions and stuff looked way cooler despite the more limited graphics

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've had problems with Dynamic Difficulty before, but only when it gets in the way
I found it pretty annoying in Mortal Kombat 9, where I just kept swinging between fights that were too hard and fights that were too easy. Instead of settling somewhere in the middle it kept over-correcting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

VanguardFelix posted:

I’m not sure if MHW is my cup of tea either as my first foray in the series, but one huge complaint: No scaling options for the UI or the in game text (unless I’m more blind than I already thought) and it is too small for me to comfortably read from where my couch is.

Am I aging out of video games?! :negative:

This is seriously a huge flaw with MH:W (and a ton of other games, but being common doesn't make it any more forgivable). Seriously, I have a decent sized TV, I shouldn't need to sit so loving close just to make out the text that's completely unimportant 99% of the time but vital that last 1%.

Another random Problem With Video Games: there has not, to my knowledge, been a CCG/RPG hybrid quite like Pokemon TCG on the Game Boy Color. Sure, there's dozens of Yu Gi Oh games, but they're all kinda trash and there's nothing there except the card game itself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I feel personally attacked when I lose and the game has the gall to ask me if I wanted to try Easy Mode.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Calaveron posted:

What about the big chinned giant salamander who is an organic tire that shits lava. I don't own the game but my roommate does, and I sat down to watch him fight that thing from beginning to end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Samuringa posted:

I feel personally attacked when I lose and the game has the gall to ask me if I wanted to try Easy Mode.

That always just makes me more determined to beat it than before. gently caress you Onimusha. I do not need easy mode! I'll beat this ogre eventually. :negative:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

food court bailiff posted:

Another random Problem With Video Games: there has not, to my knowledge, been a CCG/RPG hybrid quite like Pokemon TCG on the Game Boy Color. Sure, there's dozens of Yu Gi Oh games, but they're all kinda trash and there's nothing there except the card game itself.

There was Magi-nation, which also had a real card game. It was a full, save the world jrpg but with cards.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

does Lost Kingdoms count?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

everything you like didn't used to be there and everything you hate used to be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhOdM65HA8

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Samuringa posted:

*dies for the 19th time to the lovely platforming sections in Hades*

"Do you want to change the difficulty to Easy? (This will only affect combat.)"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

SkeletonHero posted:

*dies for the 19th time to the lovely platforming sections in Hades*

"Do you want to change the difficulty to Easy? (This will only affect combat.)"

Hey, alright, it wasn't just me that happened to

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

e: wow completely wrong thread derp

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Feb 13, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

When did assassin's Creed games start getting weapon stats and rpg leveling? I feel like it's a way to gate me as opposed to empowering me. I'll keep at it but I'm finding it not as exciting as I had expected. Beautiful as gently caress though

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Penpal posted:

When did assassin's Creed games start getting weapon stats and rpg leveling? I feel like it's a way to gate me as opposed to empowering me. I'll keep at it but I'm finding it not as exciting as I had expected. Beautiful as gently caress though

There's been weapon stats since the second game aka when people actually started liking the series.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Weapon stats have been a thing, but I think the full RPG skill trees debuted in Origins.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Schubalts posted:

Weapon stats have been a thing, but I think the full RPG skill trees debuted in Origins.

Nah, I think the RPG skill tree and weapon levels were both introduced in Unity. But yeah, one of the Ezio games started having stats which meant the weapons were pretty samey instead of having different purposes like in the first game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Every game having skill trees and RPG elements is the 2010s gaming trend that seriously needs to die

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Weapon upgrades, and resources you need to spend on them, is something I loving loathe.

Especially with otherwise great games like DOOM '16 and the new Wolfenstein games. I just want to shoot at things, please don't make me scavenge hunt for materials or do weird minigames or poo poo. I'd much rather have game progression based weapon upgrades instead. Having to do chores to keep my weapons up to date is not fun.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

What about the big chinned giant salamander who is an organic tire that shits lava. I don't own the game but my roommate does, and I sat down to watch him fight that thing from beginning to end.

Small peas compared to literally Goku and explosive punchfistosaurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Do you want to try again with the chicken hat?