Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So the movie isn't good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
personally when I started watching Shin Mazinger I COULD NOT STOP until I was passing out in the chair and ended up watching the whole thing in like 24 hours with a couple hours sleep somewhere in the middle cuz hell yea this rules.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

So the movie isn't good?

I have basically no knowledge of Mazinger and thought it was a fine time. I think I would have gotten more payoff if I knew who anyone was going into it, but it's enjoyable even in a vacuum.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I recently rewatched Shin Mazinger and ultimately I feel it's a show that shows more of Imagawa's flaws as a director than his strengths. The pacing and lack of focus are the biggest problems, I think, where by the end Kouji is doing all these things but he's been out of the spotlight so long the audience doesn't really have a reason to care about him in particular.

I still think it's the best way to get caught up on Mazinger fast, but it's also the Imagawa mecha series I feel least like rewatching again. (meanwhile I'm down to rewatch Giant Robo any time, anywhere)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

afaik you can't catch a theatrical screening of Infinity anymore and i don't see how it could be a letdown when your cost of entry is free or a few bucks for a digital rental. but as a mild mecha fan yeah it didn't do a ton for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Shin Mazinger Zero would be my favorite Mazinger anything if the translation ever got finished. Like yeah its horribly violent and perverted (Sometimes in the same panel), but both of those aspects are very Go Nagai to me, and I like Zero's weird riffs on the Mazinger storyline from what I saw of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I think Shin Mazinger Zero would be my favorite Mazinger anything if the translation ever got finished. Like yeah its horribly violent and perverted (Sometimes in the same panel), but both of those aspects are very Go Nagai to me, and I like Zero's weird riffs on the Mazinger storyline from what I saw of it.

Agreed. It's amazing even with the perversion and hyperviolence (and c'mon, perversion and violence are not exactly out of place in a Nagai work!) and the only bad thing is how the translation team completely died.

Someone really needs to pick that up. Any goons that are into manga translation? I'd help but I don't know a lick of Japanese or cleaning or...anything. Most I know is giant robot lore and even there I'm sure there's people here that are far beyond me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sorry to interrupt the Mazinger talk, but I was just looking at the listings for next season, and we've got five mech anime running next season. Franxx, Gundam, and FMP are the notable ones, but Pandora and the train one are also going to be running.

Am I forgetting something, or has it been quite some time since that happened?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the new Gundam one?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the new Gundam one?

new Gundam Build Fighters but its set in a VRMMO and there are furries. they released a teaser for it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

also Pandora looks like crap, based on the PVs

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

afaik you can't catch a theatrical screening of Infinity anymore and i don't see how it could be a letdown when your cost of entry is free or a few bucks for a digital rental. but as a mild mecha fan yeah it didn't do a ton for me.

For what it's worth knowing your tastes I think you'd enjoy Mazinkaiser more than Shin Mazinger if you're interested in more Mazinger

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

For what it's worth knowing your tastes I think you'd enjoy Mazinkaiser more than Shin Mazinger if you're interested in more Mazinger

i already have Z Impact sitting around so i will probably get to that one first. i'm not 100% for or against the first episode, but going from that to the pretty low starting point of ep2 is what kept me from ever making progress in that series before.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

dogsicle posted:

new Gundam Build Fighters but its set in a VRMMO and there are furries. they released a teaser for it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

also Pandora looks like crap, based on the PVs

Ohhh yeah, but there is a sweet votoms colored grimoire in it so I'll give it a whirl.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just saw the Mazinger movie in the theater with zero knowledge of the franchise and it did absolutely nothing for me. Some of the action was cool but with zero character context not much of it grabbed me. Since it's Go Nagai I expected it to be a bit more involved and not so surface punchy punchy robots. Felt like a regular-rear end robot anime and really nothing special. Didn't feel at all like a cinematic experience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Just saw the Mazinger movie in the theater with zero knowledge of the franchise and it did absolutely nothing for me. Some of the action was cool but with zero character context not much of it grabbed me. Since it's Go Nagai I expected it to be a bit more involved and not so surface punchy punchy robots. Felt like a regular-rear end robot anime and really nothing special. Didn't feel at all like a cinematic experience.

Nagai had nothing to do with this movie and it shows.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Midjack posted:

I mean Go Nagai related

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

yeah, there were only two titty scenes!!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

dogsicle posted:

yeah, there were only two titty scenes!!

And, really, they were more like rear end scenes.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
But were they Baron Ashura titty/rear end scenes?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Boss :mrgw:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I would love a mazinger zero anime since it's such a wonderfully meta manga. Really who doesn't love the idea that the primary motivating factor for mazinger zero is that it's pissed off that a bunch of other mecha shows stole it's spotlight and it want's to be the only and only giant robot!

Also, for as much as I love Shin Mazinger, the first episode is loving trash. It actively made my friends not watch the show since they couldn't understand what the hell was going on. It's a shame, since the rest of the show is solid.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 13, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo has made the spiritual successor to Steel Battalion, and it's cardboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlR42UqRFg

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only hands on tests with the software I've read said that the actual software is quite simple and only fun for a short demo experience, but that the process of building the controller was oddly relaxing and that wearing it was neat so I'm really hoping LABO takes off and Platinum or someone makes it an optional control system for a new mecha game for the Switch. Platinum doing a G Gundam sequel game where you control the unit with the LABO robot would be fun as gently caress.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the other labo kit has a video that is like twice as long and i'm amazed at the depth in the software. it's not quite up my gaming alley but i am tempted by the fishing and motorcycle ones.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

the other labo kit has a video that is like twice as long and i'm amazed at the depth in the software. it's not quite up my gaming alley but i am tempted by the fishing and motorcycle ones.

https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/963951817318072320

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-Uqv4BNC0&t=518s

Anyone have any idea where these guys are from?

e; we figured out it's Wataru.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 19, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-Uqv4BNC0&t=518s

Anyone have any idea where these guys are from?

They're either original villains or Wataru.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I wasn't planning on it but I've been sucked into a code geass re-watch. Haven't watched this since it aired so I'm loving this. Wasn't there a sequel coming?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kingtheninja posted:

I wasn't planning on it but I've been sucked into a code geass re-watch. Haven't watched this since it aired so I'm loving this. Wasn't there a sequel coming?

I am watching Code Geass for the first time with a friend and it is indeed super good. Am I crazy if I think the cat chase episode is the best one?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It bums me out that Code Geass and Full Metal Panic are getting new seasons, but still nothing for Vandread

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Guy Goodbody posted:

It bums me out that Code Geass and Full Metal Panic are getting new seasons, but still nothing for Vandread

Isn't Gonzo studios dead? Who owns their IP now?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revolver Bunker posted:

Isn't Gonzo studios dead? Who owns their IP now?

Gonzo still exists, but they only make like one show a year now. Last year they did Akiba's Trip: The Animation, and this year they're doing something called Space Battleship Tiramisu which I just learned about and know nothing of beyond the name but have already decided is going to be amazing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OMG I am so excited for Space Battleship Tiramisu

https://twitter.com/tiramisu_anime/status/905566316987375617

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gonzo still exists, but they only make like one show a year now. Last year they did Akiba's Trip: The Animation, and this year they're doing something called Space Battleship Tiramisu which I just learned about and know nothing of beyond the name but have already decided is going to be amazing.

It's an adaptation of a manga, and

"The science fiction gag comedy follows the everyday life of Subaru Ichinose, the ace pilot of the space battleship "Tiramisu." Since he cannot get used to being surrounded by older pilots, Subaru shuts himself in the cockpit of his personal ship "Durandal.""

You're correct, this is going to be amazing!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of mecha comedy, I picked up Xabungle again. It's good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of mecha comedy, I picked up Xabungle again. It's good.

I know I just watch this last year, but if I started one I could definitely do a rewatch.

Though there is one episode I would have to make sure to skip.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

I know I just watch this last year, but if I started one I could definitely do a rewatch.

Though there is one episode I would have to make sure to skip.

Which one?

The mud sea people are some scooby doo villain looking fucks

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

Which one?

The mud sea people are some scooby doo villain looking fucks

The one that ends with Rag getting the poo poo beat out of her

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think when I'm done with Xabungle I'm gonna move right on to Dunbine

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/967237652524146688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The episode of Xabungle where the goofy fish people attack the Iron Gear so the gang puts on a show where they dress up like monsters and pretend to whip the fish person woman so her boyfriend will board the ship by himself to free her and they'll be able to talk to him and convince him they aren't enemies, but it doesn't work and so Jiron starts beating the poo poo out of him, just punching him over and over again while sobbing because he's so frustrated and scared that he's going to have to kill the fish people even though he doesn't want to, is uh, intense.